As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warmachine and Hordes: Steam, Blood, & Magic

• Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All right. I guess I'll head to the LGS and see if they have any regular games going on. If they don't I'll likely skip it, but I suspect it shouldn't be a problem.

How are those pre-made armies on Warpath games? I'm looking specifically at the Protectorate, most likely, and you save a shitload of money by getting them there, and the pre-built armies are all 40% off. Tempting, since I don't have any paints or anything else and I'll have to buy all that in addition.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This one?

http://www.warpath-games.com/index.php?productID=763

It looks good, although the Harbinger is a *bit* tricky to play, if you're new.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    There's also

http://www.warpath-games.com/index.php?productID=1247

that one. Anyone play the Protectorate? What's it like?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:
    Mordheim doesn't have rules for having your warjack grab another warjack by the head and throwing it through a wall. :winky:

Fuck, yes. Shit like this is why WARMACHINE is so fucking awesome. 40 dollars for a starter (or cheaper from warpath) and you can play that forever. You want a different style? Buy another warcaster for 10 dollars. There is no cheaper way to have an ENTIRELY different army than by just fielding a different warcaster, completely changes the game. The rulebook, which you don't need, is only $20.00

I can't pimp out http://www.warpath-games.com enough. They sell everything at 41% off, they ship wicked fast, and the customer service is personal and very helpful. I buy all of my shit there - well, everything my local store doesn't have. Gotta support the community.

As for throwing jacks. Today I got my Lancer (Cygnar Light Jack) thrown into shallow water by a god damn Cryx Deathjack. Auto-disabled the Lancer. I was in such a laughing riot over the Deathjack tossing aside my Lancer I didn't even care.

We got any Cygnar players in here?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, after messing around with various miniature games for years now I finally bought a Hordes warpack over the holidays. That makes this my first painted miniature.

I tried out a lot of things I had heard about with varying degrees of success. I also learned that black and white by themselves lack depth. Hence the drybrushing of the green/red/flesh mixture to give it a little color. Overall, I'm not displeased for my first piece.

I'm planning on picking up some metallic paint to highlight the etching on the army. They're solid copper now, but I'm going to do them two-toned metallic to add some flourish. I think the fur needs a couple of more dry brush coats to give it some depth and the spines need another coat of white and then some drybrushing to yellow them up a bit. Then the whole model needs a dark wash to give it some shading.

DSCN0022.jpg
    DSCN0021.jpg
    DSCN0020.jpg

Comment, tips, critiques? This is my first model, so if you see any mistakes you've made in my work, I'd love to learn how to correct them.

Also, the pictures kind of suck. I just got a new (very nice) digital camera, but I haven't had much change to get used to it yet. I need a better backdrop to let the macro focus work. I'm focused on that paper towel in the back instead of the model. Time to read one of those macro photography threads on a mini forum.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That's a pretty nice warpwolf. I like the color scheme, can't really say on the detail since your pics are on the blurry side.
    I started buying pieces for my skorne force this weekend I got a warpack and the other 2 warlocks. Hope to have some pics to show in the next couple weeks or so.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    defrag wrote:
    There's also

Imagine playing Cygnar with the heavily armored horses, and knights and junk, except actually being effective at being defensively agressive and melee combat. Menoth spells focus on buffs, some slight detrimental effects on the opponent, and a lot of Menoth weapon/abilities inflict "Fire" (a DoR "Damage over Round" effect.) Menoth focuses a lot on Defense and outlasting your opponents, whittling them down little by little.

this also comes true in the state of their Warcasters. Kreioss has a feat that knocks all enemy models within 14" of him, down. while the High Reclaimer can bring troops back from the dead.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    defrag wrote:
    There's also

Imagine playing Cygnar with the heavily armored horses, and knights and junk, except actually being effective at being defensively agressive and melee combat. Menoth spells focus on buffs, some slight detrimental effects on the opponent, and a lot of Menoth weapon/abilities inflict "Fire" (a DoR "Damage over Round" effect.) Menoth focuses a lot on Defense and outlasting your opponents, whittling them down little by little.

this also comes true in the state of their Warcasters. Kreioss has a feat that knocks all enemy models within 14" of him, down. while the High Reclaimer can bring troops back from the dead.

I've never played the game period, so "imagine playing Cygnar" really doesn't carry any weight for me.

I checked my LGS, they don't even sell the stuff. I might just pass, because of that.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    We got any Cygnar players in here?

Oh, hell yeah.

I'm doing the happy dance, since once Prime: Remix lands I'm going to get to finally field the full unit of Mechanics and the Sentinel I've got sitting in my case. :D

I'm trying to remember all the changes off the top of my head that I heard about.

Sorsha's feat only affects models in her control area AND that she has LOS on...

Same with Haley's TB, and I think only affects the ones in her control at the time of casting, so there's no ton of crazy math and checking all the time.

The 'jacks repaired by both the Khador and Cygnar mechanics can activate the same turn they're repaired now.

Strafe got a bit of a boost, since the Sentinel now gets +2 to hit on the Strafe attacks. (Woo! Hooray for putting enough ammo in the air that SOMETHING's going to get hit...)

The Menoth light 'jack from the battlebox (Repenter?) with the flamethrower now has a weapon that does what it should. The spray causes Fire. Note that it's not Crit Fire, just plain Fire, so everyone who gets hit by it gets the burning.
    I've never played the game period, so "imagine playing Cygnar" really doesn't carry any weight for me.

Menoth has a definite "choke the enemy in our bodies" feel to it, and they've often got abilities where when they die, other things may get better. The Knights Exemplar, for instance, hit harder and are harder to kill the more of them get killed.

The zealots are extremely cheap to field, and have grenades that are pretty nasty. The real meat there comes in the form of the Monolith Bearer, who can make them, once per game, completely immune to all damage for a turn. That's great early-on for that turn where you might have to make it across open ground against a line of ranged attacks, since their guns are completely ineffective. Make them invincible, and have them run to cover about 12" (if my memory's correct and they have a SPD of 6), and on the next turn firebomb the crap out of your enemies' line.

The Choir is almost invaluable in most Menoth lists, since they have a series of buffs that make your warjacks nasty. They've got three, and can only use one per turn, though. One of them makes them immune to ranged attacks for a turn. I'd almost say, though, in that list they'd be a waste, since there's only one warjack, the Devout. They're extremely cheap, points-wise, to field, and I guess you could use them to help block line-of-sight and charge lanes.

Feora, the Warcaster in that list, is a *beast* in combat. She's got twin swords and twin flamethrowers. (Can't use both in the same turn, but you've got the option.) Hard to kill as well, when she's got one of her spells up. (Engine of Destruction. Makes her even nastier in melee and harder to kill.) I think the list would work okay with her, since it'd let her keep her focus reserved to augmenting her own attacks. I guess that's why they put Wracks in there, for some extra focus generation to help her out more.

With that much infantry, I'd almost say it's more of a High Reclaimer army, though. Tons and tons of souls for him to harvest as his units die, which'll get transformed into focus. (Every time a Menoth trooper dies in his control area, he gets a Soul token, which get turned into extra focus at a 1 for 1 rate at the beginning of his turn. If you lose a lot of units, that could be a LOT of focus, and could make him nigh invulnerable for a turn, since every unspent point of focus on a warcaster adds +1 to their armor.) Plus, his feat (a once-per-game spell that every warcaster has) resurrects 2d6 trooper models. That could bring your KE's back for some more pain.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I was a little worried at first while doing the basecoat that I didn't actually like painting. I made the mistake of fully assembling that beast of a warpwolf before painting. It has some nooks and crannies that way.

While doing the drybrushing and highlighting yesterday though, I had much more fun. I'm looking forward to picking up some different style models to do something other than the planned grey/late fall theme I have planned for my Circle box. My gf suggested I do the argii a devilish red to make them look Cerebus-like. I have to say, I'm tempted. They'll look more cohesive in the grey though.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Okay, learned how to take pictures (key ingredient... use the timer setting and don't hold the camera).

Here are some non-blurry picture of my warpwolf. The spiky bits and the copper are still only a basecoat. I think I may give the fur a dark wash and then another layer of light highlights. The toes are unpainted, but other than that, I'd like to think the body is done except for an inking to get some details to pop out (like the abs).

DSCN0030.jpg
    DSCN0032.jpg
    DSCN0031.jpg
    DSCN0033.jpg
    DSCN0034.jpg

zenpotato on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That is looking hot zenpotato. Very hot.

I need to finish off my touchups on my Thunderhead and then start finishing up my Centurion.

Now, as it is I've just got paint on all my models until I'm 100% satisfied with them, and when it comes to that I wanna make sure I have something on there to protect the paint, some kinda sealant. Now I use GW paints, but I hear their sealant blows, anyone know a good one I should use?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, a couple questions. What is the most played faction, and how are the Cryx?

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, a couple questions. What is the most played faction, and how are the Cryx?
    While I haven't actually played any Warmachine yet I am told Cryx are usually the most played. Friends tell me played well that Cryx is a very good army to field and has lots of tricks with some what squishy glass cannon type style. If I am to get into Warmachine besides just playing my Skorne vs the armies I will definently pick Cryx Undead Pirates ftw.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    In my area things seems evenly balanced, with a slight advantage to Cygnar. Everyone seems to have more than one army, and it seems like a lot of people have Cygnar for their second.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    I like my pseudo-Russian Khador big-slow-stompy jacks. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    And yeah, I'm getting a second army as soon as I have about 750 points of Khador. Thinking about either Cryx, Cygnar or Skorne.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    $700 tax return... found Warmachine/Hordes models at my LGS...

I can't tell if I should be all D: or all :D

I'm going to have to buy two battlegroups for anything I want to play, so I think I'll be getting the Protectorate and a Merc group, and maybe the Circle and Skorne.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So. Lt. Allister Caine. Best warcaster out there. All my games have ended with "Caine gets LOS, guns down the enemy warcaster in a storm of gun-fu".

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I stopped by my LGS to pick up some paint yesterday to finish off my warpwolf and get started on my warlock. Somehow I walked out with a Legion of Everblight box. Crazy.

That Carnivean is freaking huge. His arms are the size of a space marine.

Hmm... I wonder what kind of stats an Astartes would have in WM?

zenpotato on
  • Options
    PaPaPaPa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    http://www.warpath-games.com/index.php?productID=140

Is this one of the Battlegroup boxes you guys are talking about when you say that it's all you need to play? Because I mean, seriously? They only contain about 3-4 models.

PaPa on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Khador is the smallest boxset in terms of model count. I think the range of models is 3-6 in boxsets.

The boxsets only include a warcaster/warlock and warjacks/warbeasts; infantry are all purchased separately. It really is the meat and potatoes of the game.

Boxsets run around 300 points, with most games running at 500 or 750 points. At 1000 points you have two warcasters/locks running around, so you're talking much longer games.

To get to 500 points from the boxset, you basically can add one infantry unit (5-10 models, depending on the unit), another warjack/beast, and/or another small support unit or solo. Depending on the faction and game (WM or Hordes) you may or may not want to add that extra jack/beast for resource allocation reasons.

A game between boxsets should run between 30-60 minutes IME.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PaPa wrote:

Is this one of the Battlegroup boxes you guys are talking about when you say that it's all you need to play? Because I mean, seriously? They only contain about 3-4 models.

Well, you need assembly materials too, and a 4 dice. Also another player to play with. Other then those, the boxes contain the neccesary forces to field a small battle group and the quickstart rules to field them.

see317 on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Steam, Blood and Magic eh?

Does this game have robots that run off steamed blood and can use magic?

If not... well, I guess it still looks pretty cool.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote:

I'd recommend the Cryx.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote:

I'd recommend the Cryx.

Except instead of just regular steam they heat up bile. And I'm almost positive that bloat thralls are really just giant fart bags.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PaPa wrote:

The model scale is a lot smaller than 40k or Warhammer Fantasy. You're talking about a few large mechs, a warcaster, and maybe a unit or 2 in a 500 point battle. That's roughly 20 models or so. As opposed to a 40k game where you are talking 50+

350 are your smaller 1 hour or so games. 500 take an hour or two or even three to complete depending on how the games go. It just gets larger from there.

The beauty of the starter box is it includes the rules in there so you don't have to buy the book separate if you don't want. Furthermore, with the amount of special rules and strategies available - you get a lot of mileage.

Oh, and if you want a totally different experience just buy another warcaster for like 5-10 dollars. Completely changes the way your army plays.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    Steam, Blood and Magic eh?

If not... well, I guess it still looks pretty cool.

Let me introduce you to the Death Jack. He's the big one.
    dj.vs.slayer.jpg
    He can in fact use magic, borrowing the spell list from his current warcaster.
    It may not run off of blood steam, but it does eat souls and use them to heal itself. That's pretty cool, right?

It also has a nasty habit of trying to kill and eat it's controlling warcaster, which is really cool.

see317 on
  • Options
    PaPaPaPa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    Oh, and if you want a totally different experience just buy another warcaster for like 5-10 dollars. Completely changes the way your army plays.

Presumably to use a different warcaster you need to buy the proper rulebook, right?

Edit: I should l2read.
    unit specific rules are included with the purchase of that unit.

PaPa on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    The model scale is a lot smaller than 40k or Warhammer Fantasy.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but WM is played with 30mm models, which is pretty damn close to WH.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    omigosh im postin in ma thred

Anyway, I finished my Menoth battlegroup. They're looking pretty hot, but they crave something to fight, so having finished drilling and sanding down my Cryx and Khador groups I need to spray 'em down so I can get to painting the Russians.

If I can track down a camera I'll try to take a picture that doesn't look like ass.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    zenpotato wrote:
    MegaMan001 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but WM is played with 30mm models, which is pretty damn close to WH.

I think what he means is that the model count is a smaller.

For example, you can have a usable 500 point Cryx battle list with 4 models. (Terminus, 2 Seethers and a Deathjack will get you just short of 500). Similar low-count lists can be had for all factions if you wished, but building a 500 point list in Warhammer or 40k is likely to require quite a few more models.

Also, WarMachine seems to be optimized towards running smaller games. Tournaments are generally run at 500 - 750 points, with tourneys above 1000 being harder to find. WHFB and 40k tourneys (that I've seen) generally run 1500 - 1850.

Of course, I'm not psychic. So this may not be what he meant at all.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It should also be noted that the point systems don't offer equivalent values. 300 points of WM is a lot more oomph than 300 points of WHFB. I think the 750 point games of WM are roughly equivalent to 1250-1500 point games of WHFB.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    zenpotato wrote:
    MegaMan001 wrote:

You should try reading past the first sentence. In which it continues to say, "You're talking about a few large mechs, a warcaster, and maybe a unit or 2 in a 500 point battle. That's roughly 20 models or so. As opposed to a 40k game where you are talking 50+"

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I read past the first sentence. It just didn't make any sense. The word scale means something very particular when you're talking about minis.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    zenpotato wrote:
    I read past the first sentence. It just didn't make any sense. The word scale means something very particular when you're talking about minis.

But the man was talking about a wargame, not the miniatures therein.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Not to derail the thread anymore. But I wanted to give a quick shout out to my main man CAPTAIN DARIUS DOMINIC!

6 Focus Warcaster. You cast Full Throttle (every warjack in your control area gets a free charge / run / slam in addition to an additional dice on each attack) for three Focus.

Then you cast Jackhammer on a Centurion. Giving him an additional free attack for each successful attack. 2 Focus.

Then give the Centurion one more focus. Use it to boost his attack (four total dice). Get a critical hit, activating the Piston Spear which makes each subsequent attack automatically hit.

So, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

If you can cast Jackhammer earlier and keep it upkept and then give more focus to the Centurion for each additional attack (getting 2 attacks for the price of one focus). It's just ri-god-damn-diculous.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    zenpotato wrote:
    It should also be noted that the point systems don't offer equivalent values. 300 points of WM is a lot more oomph than 300 points of WHFB. I think the 750 point games of WM are roughly equivalent to 1250-1500 point games of WHFB.
    I thought it was the other way around. An earlier post says something along the lines of a four-model 500p army not being out of the question. Sure you could do this in WH if you ignored army structure but I wouldn't in any way call it an actual option.

Edit: Just pre-empting someone posting a list for an Ogre Warband or something that has four models and is legal. No.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    zenpotato wrote:
    I thought it was the other way around. An earlier post says something along the lines of a four-model 500p army not being out of the question. Sure you could do this in WH if you ignored army structure but I wouldn't in any way call it an actual option.

Edit: Just pre-empting someone posting a list for an Ogre Warband or something that has four models and is legal. No.
    I think what they meant was mechanics-wise. Sure, you can have a four-model 500 point band (that may be stretching it a bit), but those 4 models tend to have more particular rules associated with them than a similar WHFB band.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wanted to make a Few FInishing Touches on my lists before I go out to make the final Purchases:

500 PT:
    Warcaster:
    High Exemplar Kreioss: 64

Jack:
    Guardian: 126
    Revenger: 76
    Revenger: 76

Solo:
    Wrack: 5

Units:
    Choir of Menoth X4: 18
    Deliveres X6: 46