As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Greatest gaming moments

• Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Before Dreamcast came out, they had it out to demo at Electronic Boutique to play the demo with Marvel vs. Capcom. Everyone was looking at Dreamcast as the new "hot shit". I was only in middle school and was short as hell and my voice hadn't gone deeper by that time. So I wait my turn to play the versus game against what looked like a high school/college student. Of course, when my turn came up there were a bunch of high school and college kids smirking at me expecting me to fail miserably against my opponent. So I get up to play. Choose my team. And boom beat my opponent. Next game. Boom...beat my next opponent.

So finally some 6 foot giant inches evil looking guy walks up and glares at me. So I just kinda shiver in my boots for a bit and BOOM. Down he goes. The smirks are gone by now and I think replaced by fear. I beat like two more guys till my mom starts calling out my name saying we are leaving the mall. Dammit mom D:

Khaczor on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Khaczor wrote: »
    Before Dreamcast came out, they had it out to demo at Electronic Boutique to play the demo with Marvel vs. Capcom. Everyone was looking at Dreamcast as the new "hot shit". I was only in middle school and was short as hell and my voice hadn't gone deeper by that time. So I wait my turn to play the versus game against what looked like a high school/college student. Of course, when my turn came up there were a bunch of high school and college kids smirking at me expecting me to fail miserably against my opponent. So I get up to play. Choose my team. And boom beat my opponent. Next game. Boom...beat my next opponent.

So finally some 6 foot giant inches evil looking guy walks up and glares at me. So I just kinda shiver in my boots for a bit and BOOM. Down he goes. The smirks are gone by now and I think replaced by fear. I beat like two more guys till my mom starts calling out my name saying we are leaving the mall. Dammit mom D:

These days thats pretty common, cuz most older people have colledge/jobs where as high school kids and middle school kids will sit around and play games for like 60 hours a week and own at them.

Like this kid i saw at the arcade in Vancouver, he hops on the DDR machine after me and my girlfriend (ex now.) had tired ourselves out on it. We go oh yeah he he this kid is gonna try it its gonna be funny what a cute kid. Only to watch him select Heavy and hit a top score.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Heres a game so awesome its basically pure legendary gaming moments. Notice the high tech physics and collision detection. Not to mention super realistic sound effects.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Since I mentioned it in the TR thread as a big moment, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention scaling the side of a skyscraper in Tomb Raider Legend.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Battlefield 2.

I can't remember the map name, but the map that came with the demo. Me and my friend would always make for the big hotel outpost, climb up the ladder onto the roof and hold that control with just two of us. Right down to the last man. Until it was the only control point left.

The enemy would start bombing us with jets, we'd survive. Air strikes. We'd survive. Our commander would drop us supplies on the roof, recognising our awesome work.

But the greatest moment came when a blackhawk -full- of enemy mans came over the horizon, gunfire crackled from inside the chopper at us, and we took cover. As it hoverd low over the rooftop, ready to drop out all of the troops and kick our asses, I popped out from cover with my under-barrel grenade launcher primed, and popped a nade into the passenger compartment, killing everyone in the blackhawk except the Pilot.

The warning noise was bleeping in the blackhawk, the engines were smoking, and I could almost hear the pilot shout "Holy shit!" as he made a hasty retreat, almost crashing the chopper as he left. His comrade's limp bodies flopping out of the side doors.

Still my greatest (online) gaming moment ever.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Football Manager 2006. My second ever serious game, Southampton.

Just relegated from the Premier League, but you still have some of your key players. I can't remember who I signed or what tactics I used (probably very little, I didn't touch that till 07), but all I remember this it was the FINAL game of the season and I was 2nd in the ladder and I needed to win.

The scores were tied in injury time, and no shit, I swear on my mothers life, we got a corner.

That isn't amazing.

No.

What was amazing was Anti Niemi COMING UP for the corner and scoring the winner in injury time of the final game of the season. Bing, Championship Winners 2006.

I've been hooked on the series ever since.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dead Space gave me a great moment last night.
    Mid-game/Chapter 5/end of Hydroponics spoiler
    So you've spent the whole level hearing about this 'Leviathan' thing that you know you're going to have to shoot to death, despite your goal being to make a poison to kill it. It's there sealed away in Food Storage while you're running around in atriums trying to kill these damned monsters that are poisoning the air, fending off all sorts of monstrosities and having a hard time of it. Eventually the time comes when you have to take this thing down. The poison weakened it, but it wasn't fatal, so it's up to you and whatever projectiles you might be packing. There's a long, glass corridor surrounded by something, the door at the end opens and you step into a vast, darkened, cylindrical room with some colossal mass filling up the entire far end, out of focus but ominous all the same. Around you is a cloud of bodies and severed limbs from the unfortunate crew who took shelter here.

What follows was also great, but that scene is one that I absolutely loved.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was in The Dark World in Disgaea 2.

This was a level in which the Dark Sun doled out random effects every turn.

I am fighting, dealing with enemies that are much stronger than me. Eventually, I get down to the last enemy, but all I have left is a female Warrior, and this guy is pretty strong against physical attacks. It's clear I'm going to lose.

The Dark Sun, which had been hurting me the whole match, decides it would be funny if my last character was turned into a chicken.

Chickens have wind attacks though, and the last enemy just happened to be weak against wind.

I only won because the sun turned me into a chicken. That's just glorious.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jurg wrote: »
    I was in The Dark World in Disgaea 2.

This was a level in which the Dark Sun doled out random effects every turn.

I am fighting, dealing with enemies that are much stronger than me. Eventually, I get down to the last enemy, but all I have left is a female Warrior, and this guy is pretty strong against physical attacks. It's clear I'm going to lose.

The Dark Sun, which had been hurting me the whole match, decides it would be funny if my last character was turned into a chicken.

Chickens have wind attacks though, and the last enemy just happened to be weak against wind.

I only won because the sun turned me into a chicken. That's just glorious.

Also, from Disgaea 2, and it just happened a couple of hours ago:

Chapter 11-5, where an enemy counterattack sets of a Geo Effect destruction chain that utterly pulverizes my party. All I have left is one female Warrior, a half-dead Rozalin, a level 11 Etna (the enemies on this stage are level 50+), and a couple of reserve spots. There are two more enemy dragons, both at 95% health.

I throw everything into a suicide charge against one of the dragons, and it ends up with all of my party being slaughtered, except the Fire Mage I pulled out at the last second to serve as a distraction because, y'know, Dragons are immune to Fire and all.

However, my Fire Mage happens to have an Ice spell earned from Extra Gain. And it, coupled with a few Resist Break spells, was able to wound the last remaining enemy dragon (who had +50% Ice Resist). Barely.

So basically I just sat there and spammed Ice spells until the Dragon died and I won the map with my Fire Mage.

Then I reached the next map and I wanted to cry.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Beating Alma in chapter 7 of Ninja Gaiden Black.

That was a fist pump moment.

Karl on
  • Options
    bigwordsconfusebigwordsconfuse Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Back in like 2002, when a MMO called Dark Age of Camelot was in it's prime, they were just revamping the RvR system from a style called Old Frontiers to a new style (New Frontiers). Many gamers really weren't for the changing of the system and maps, and it really lead to a large dropoff in playerbase.
    But everyone decided to come out on the last night for one last faceoff of epic proportions.

There were probably 150+ people on all 3 sides around, and right around the end of the night, ended up in a huge standoff on two sides of the mile gate between midgard (them) and hibernia (us). Both sides probably set up around 20-30 catapults each, it was fricken epic. People were dying from concentrated catapult firing, there would be pushes from both sides through the gate that would be thwarted by the other side's numbers. When after probably about 45 minutes of this, the third side (Albion) decided to come in from the side and try to wipe our side out.

Midgard came pouring through, we were fighting two times our numbers, i'd imagine most people's computers probably just exploded from trying to handle all the people on the screen, 5 FPS max haha.
    And yet in the end, we fought both of them off, and claimed to be the final victors of the Old Frontiers on our server.

Reading it, it's hard because you don't understand how a game operates if you didn't play it, but goddamn, that night was so epic that I wish everyone could have taken place in it.

bigwordsconfuse on
    Xbox Gamertag: JosephStahlin
    PSN ID: Joseff_stalin
    Steam ID: Joseff_stalin (man, what an unhealthy trend of handles..)
  • Options
    ZhaosukeZhaosuke Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    now ive played dead space

the first encounter with the Necromorph chasing you n priding the elevator open

that was some awesome shit

Zhaosuke on
    9h05lz.jpg
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    About 4-5 years ago I helped run a local lan party. So many great moments were had there I cannot count. A couple stand out though.

We would run team tournaments for what ever was the popular game at the time. 5v5 Counter Strike was the flavor of the month. The staff had a tradition of playing against the final team for fun because we would always get destroyed. It was looking pretty grim for us, the team we were playing against had completely mopped up the competition never losing a match, I don't think many of them ever even died.

We all get into the game and figure meh we will give it a shot but aren't going to expect much. Playing Dust we were CT's first, they get in really quick and plant the bomb, 2 of our guys run in and get destroyed, awesome. The 3 of us that are any good hang back and wait a sec, then figure lets go down in a blaze of glory we run in I get off 2 good head shots 2 of them go down, holy shit! Knowing this was a fluke I figure I'm dead, but somehow we ended up taking them out.

The whole place was stunned including us. Out of the 5 of us only 3 were decent at FPS and only 2 had played CS. What followed that first round was a tug of war between our two teams it was pretty epic. It ended when it was 2 on 4 they had my friend pinned down, I was guarding a bomb site. I blindsided one of them he wend down, swapped to my pistol got another was out of ammo so I dropped my gun picked his up and my team mate and I converged on the last guy and got the win.

What made the whole thing better, the whole thing was playing on a giant projector in real time for the whole match. We had everyone in there watching us battle back and forth it was epic, and truly one of the greatest times I had playing a game.

The other wasn't as epic, but was fun none the less. Before I was on staff we had a 3v3 instagib CTF Unreal Tournament. Our team ran the floor with the competition till the last match. We were struggling pretty bad, read getting handled, when all of the sudden my buddy Al drops back and becomes a defensive power house he didn't let anybody touch the flag it was a thing of beauty. That was all we needed to get us going. Our 2 man rush was with me and a friend started picking them off as they were spawning and ended up picking up the 5 points we were down to win the match. I think we ended up 10 to 8 final. It was truly a great moment.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    NeedleNeedle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The first Unreal had its flaws, but there are some parts that will always have their special place in my book of awesome gaming moments. Namely leaving the Vortex Rikers and the first encounter with a Skaarj.

Needle on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Needle wrote: »
    The first Unreal had its flaws, but there are some parts that will always have their special place in my book of awesome gaming moments. Namely leaving the Vortex Rikers and the first encounter with a Skaarj.

Where the room goes black? And then slowly lights up to a flying Skaarg? Awesome moment.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Many years ago, I played on the Crimson2 mudd. It was fun and eventually my character got himself a wolf through mind control, or was it a pet? I cannot remember, the point is. I had a pet, maybe a mob at my command. Now these things did not have a large life. People just brought them along for cannon fodder at lower levels and maybe a slight boost to DPS at higher ones. I am just past being a fresh newbie but still havea ways to go.

I decide to attack the guard to the thieves guild. He was just one big tank with piercing weapons in this game. A tough kill, but since he wasn't going to sneak up on me, most of his skills were negated and I just had to kill him. I kept dying because he would attack me first while the wolf would get xp from combat. I kept this up and finally killed the guy (xp was worth it despite how much I lost in death), but it took so long that when the assassin died, the wolf leveled up.

This was crazy because suddenly, in the entire game, everyone saw the phrase

WOLF reached level 6

and everyone, even the immortals, started going WTF in shout and saying congrats to the wolf. After I explained why had happened, they laughed even harder.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh man, WAAAY too many to remember.

- Battlefield 1942 - Driving full speed in a jeep over a bridge to ram a tank only to piss the tank off. I jump out of the jeep just before impact and as the tank goes to shoot me, I jump over the side of the bridge to the water and deploy my parachute to fall safely back to earth.

- Counter Strike - 2 most memorable, being the last CT and only 1 T left on Aztec about to plant the bomb. I was alone and I couldn't find him, but I knew he had the bomb. I was armed with a Deagle and an AWP, so of course I'm running with the Deagle out. Suddenly I hear the beeping that indicates its about to be armed. He's at the Double Doors bomb site and I'm across the giant open pit in the middle. Within milliseconds of the bomb being armed, I pull out my AWP and in a split second line up a headshot and take him down. It's even funnier because we were at an internet cafe and all the dead team members were watching. The loud bang of the AWP echoed through all the speakers and the gratifying Counter Terrorist win came right after.

The other CT moment was on dust 2, my team had a huge fire fight with the opposing T's. I forget the details, but I remember the best part was a T was trying to escape gunfire from a CT at the bombsite right by CT spawn. He tried to jump over the ledge and run past the tunnel to escape to the long A route. As he was in midair, I was coming up the ramp through the tunnel and I headshotted him with a Scout. His body did a complete backflip as it fell lifeless to the ground. (This was on CS Source btw so it was ragdoll physics)

- Goldeneye - We used to play with pistols and -10 health, better than 1 hit kills because only hits to the chest and head would kill you instantly. On the stack armed with a DD4 and 3 people trying to kill me, in the span of about 5 seconds and with one shot each I killed all three enemies.

- Jedi Knight II Outcast Multiplayer - Before everyone complained about the grip being cheap and all the patches came out to slow it down I was an evil prick with it. I would grab people and hold them for the duration of the grip just below the platform I was on so all the could do is sit there before falling to their death. I would watch people force jump across large gaps and push them so they would fall short and die. Deploying a sentry gun, then force griping the enemy right in front of it as it blasted them, and most of all my favorite, jumping over a large gap while gripping someone, and in mid air letting them go so they fell to their death.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pro Wrestling - NES: First game I ever beat. I didn't realize it at the time, but the game is harder if you play as King Slender. I always picked King Slender because he was the closest thing to Hulk Hogan the game had. Since he was the champ, the game made you go through the roster twice before regaining the belt, then you had to defend the title 10 times before facing the boss (the Jackal, or Jaguar, or whatever). The boss, of course, had all of the special moves of the other characters plus his own super clothesline. It felt pretty epic when I beat him as a 7-8 year old.

Final Fantasy IV - SNES: My oldest brother and I would take turns playing the game. We had many late nights, and there's a good chunk of my 7th grade year that I don't remember because I'd sleep in class due to fatigue. It was the first game I ever played that felt truly epic in scope. The whole thing just kept me in awe. It was all Serious Business(TM).

7th Guest - PC: Figuring out that the pattern of one of the rugs in the house was actually the map for the basement maze. The fact that I figured it out as a middle school student before my oldest, college student brother did was icing on the cake.

Colony Wars - PS1: Finally beating that goddamn mission where you have to crash a space funeral and steal the corpse of one of the enemy generals while being surrounded by capital ships and enemy fighters. For a time, I actually thought it was one of those missions that you'd automatically fail in order to progress the story. It was that hard.

GTA: Vice City - PS2: Long after I had beaten the game, I'd still play from time to time in order to dick around the city and do high-speed chases. During one chase, I was driving through the downtown area (big western island) near the safehouse with the helicopter pad on the roof. I was going down that one way road with the staircase on the right that was used as a jump to get to the roof on a previous mission.

Well, I wanted to hit the jump hard and fast, land on the roof, turn and jump back down to the street in order to continue the chase. I figured it'd look pretty cool if I actually pulled it off. It didn't go quite as planned. I hit the jump wrong. Instead of flipping over onto the car's roof, like it would normally do, the car was catapulted straight up in the air, going end over end. It landed (rather violently) on all four tires, as if nothing happened, right in front of the stairs. I was busted by cops a moment later, since I never made any additional forward progress, but I remember it because it was just a sudden, unexpected result. And I could never duplicate it, even after hours of trying.

Warhawk - PS3: It's hard to think of any particular session. There's just a lot of cool sequences that can happen in a round. The jetpack expansion added a lot of interesting ways to do things. I was pretty much a one-man army on the Island map (not Archipelago, but the big island one with the forest) in one game. I had the jetpack, binoculars, landmines, and sniper rifle. In Warhawk, if you're wielding your knife, you're invisible to radar, unless you're actively using your jetpack's thrust. So, I'd quickly fly up to the top of a neighboring mountain, wait a minute or so to make sure no one saw me, then snipe/artillery the closest base. Then, I'd fly down, lay some mines down around the base's flag, and recapture it. Rinse, lather, repeat.

The best thing about it was that while the enemy was wasting time and manpower trying to reclaim those bases and search for me, my team could focus on the main objective, which I think was a Collection game (think CTF, but with 4 glowing tokens in neutral areas of the map). We won, by a large margin.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    VorelicVorelic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    1. Intro to Metal Gear Solid 2; Metal Gear Solid is my favorite series and although the story in 2 was medioxe it was still badass the way he hit the boat.

2. Shadow of the Colossus during the first boss, it really sucked me in

3. Half-Life 2 playing with the gravity gun and controlling the rockets

4. Final Fantasy 8 with the gunblade battle

Vorelic on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    River City Ransom for NES. When you finally make it up to the twins near the very end, and the Double Dragon theme song starts playing. My friend and I had recorded that song with a mic onto a blank cassette we loved it so much, so when it started playing as we began the most epic fight to that point in the game, we nearly shit ourselves.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In Gears of War 1 at the end of act 3, right before you're introduced to the theron guards, you come across a huge processing plant next to a gorgeously detailed waterfall of Imulsion. I sat there and stared at it for 5 minutes. I don't think visuals have ever had such an effect on me.

This isn't it but it's very similar:
    gearsofwar2imulsion.jpg

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I forgot to add a more recent one that is by far one of the funniest.

When GTA IV first came out I was playing cops and crooks online with some friends. We were the cops. Well a trick you could do as the crooks is have the Boss swim all the way out into the ocean. While in the water you can't shoot therefore you can't kill him. Well, this team of crooks we were facing came up with the plan to have the boss swim to the water while the rest of them went to get a boat and come and pick him up. My team is observing their movement on the radar, so we decide to split up. I went after the Boss, and they went after the rest of the group. My team however didn't get to them in time and they managed to get a boat.

Mean while I'm going "Mel Gibson Leathal Weapon" style and chasing the Boss on foot. I see him head into to the water and I dive in after him. He swims waaaay out into the ocean and then stops waiting for his ride. I swim up next to him, an being unable to shoot I just sit there waiting as well. I figured when his ride came I was going to get killed or left for dead, but I didn't care. So a minute later, his ride does show up with his entire team inside the boat. He scrambled to get on the boat and I'm expecting to get shot any second, but for some reason they don't see me. Before anyone can react, I climb onto the boat and pull out my sub machine gun and killed everone on the boat including the boss who is trying to get on, we win!!!

My friends and I still laugh about that to this day.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The greatest moment in my gaming career was playing Sonic the hedgehog on my brothers Game Gear and getting frustrated that I couldn't beat a level...Then Smashing the Game Gear on the ground...cracking the screen.

I just hid it, until it was found when we moved!
    All in All I got away with it ...like BILLY BUCKNER!

ohmigod! i did the same thing for the same reason with the same game! I threw the sumbitch down and thrashed around and my heel caught the screen. needless to say, my mom never bought me another gamegear and i've since learned the hard lesson of not abusing your console or controllers out of anger.

Inter_d on
  • Options
    Tyler the GreatTyler the Great Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was playing a game of cops and crooks in gta4, on the side of the crooks. You only get a pistol, while the cops get smgs. Anyway, we are all on foot at the start of the round and immediately hear the police sirens. Its one car of four cops coming right at us. I aim at the drivers face and nail him, sending the car out of control and into a brick wall. The guy in the front seat flies out the window and into the wall. I aim and fire once, killing him. Then the dudes in the back get out and I headshot each of them in quick succession.

This was like the day it came out and I spent months trying to relive that glory, sadly it never happened again.

Tyler the Great on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man I never get tired of telling this story.

The game, Savage 1.

Our team was engaged in one of the most vicious battles I've seen outside of a movie. Both sides had gained good number of resources and we were all upgraded out the ass. We're talkin enemy behemoth things every where, lasers flyin, both sides just throwing their masses of troops against each other again and again. I think the front line moved 30 feet in both directions maybe 50 times, and that was about it. It was a stalemate of epic proportions.

With 6 minutes left in the game, the enemy force (the beasts or whatever the badguy's are called in that game) made a huge well orchestrated push and took out a good bit of our base. Epic things were about to happen. This whole time I had been with a small squad of about 3 guys who would run around behind the enemy generally disrupting their shit. All three of us were officers and got a lot of the buffs from the commander due to us slaughtering them halting their advances consistently.

Well they got to our base and were whacking on it, when me and another guy who managed not to get immediately killed broke free, and with the help of the commander fucking killed the shit out of their assault. There was now 3 minutes left in the battle. We had people sapping their base so it was pretty low on health, but with time short it was looking grim. None of us wanted to settle for a stalemate after such a long fought ordeal.

So we made our final assault.

We loaded up on everything we could and set off. By this time I was an insanely high level, with every possible armor and weapon upgrade, despite being the default soldier. Our push was met by some upgraded beasts who managed to sneak near up on our force cutting all of my brethren down. I was barely able to survive in time finish the final enemy.. just barely. There was less than 40 seconds on the clock. The commander gave me a speed buff and I sprinted off for the target, satchel charge at the ready. As I got close I saw A GIANT LINE FORMED WITH EVERY FUCKING PERSON ON THEIR TEAM standing there waiting for me. There was no time. I juked the guy on the far left of the line and sprinted past them to the Lair. 10 seconds. I whacked and whacked and whacked. 5 seconds, minimal health remaining on the base. holy shit fuck shit, just as the horde of beasts cut me down I drop my satchel charge. 2 seconds, I fall to my knees, the satchel detonates. The base is destroyed, beasts are sent flying in all directions. 1 second remaining, glory.

And that is the story of the Last of the Mohicans.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think we could almost have a thread just about AvP, since I've got another story to add to the pile:

Me and some old school friends used to play it at a cyber cafe, and I remember we were on the hunter mode - one alien vs a squad of marines - and it was my turn to play the alien. They'd all bunkered down in a fairly open room, but one with enough entrances and shadows for me to try sneaking in. I'd got up reasonably close and was hidden in a dark corridor at ground level, biding my time, watching them scurry about while waiting for a chance to attack. Then one of the guys runs over, stands about 10ft away and fires a flare straight at me - the thing literally bounced off my head and landed beside me! But he didn't fire, he just stood there and scrutinised me. I was all ready to leg it, but then he turns around and walks off as if nothing's wrong! It wasn't the opportunity I expected but, damn, it made for a good window of attack!

Turns out that I'd chosen a corridor that was using a ribbed, bio-mechanical texture - y'know, one that looks almost exactly the texture on the alien? Even with the lighting from the flare, he couldn't make out what was lurking in the corner.

Apart from an incident in Splinter Cell multi, it's the only time I've ever hidden in plain sight.

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm sure I've had a lot, but 2 immediately come to mind.

Counter-Strike: I was playing terrorist on Milita and was protecting the hostages. It was about 10 v 10. Fairly quickly my entire team died but me. We hadn't taken out one CT. Just one of those rounds the entire losing team wants to forget because it was such a fast stomp. I was left alive on the first floor of the house. A couple of the CT's trickled in through the back door and I killed them both. Some more came downstairs and we had a short firefight by the bar and I killed them both. I then ran upstairs, outside and killed a few more and ran back inside to the first floor stairs.

At this point they are down to 4 people. 3 made a push on the front door. Two rushed in right away and I killed them both, and the quickly took the third down by stepping in front of the door and shooting him as he was preparing to run inside. At this point the admin types a server message, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL. HE'S JUST ONE MAN!"

It felt like something out of Die Hard with the head terrorist yelling at everyone over the radio. If only I had a good John McClane quip.

Street Fighter 2 Turbo SNES: I've never been very good at fighting games, but when a game if fairly new I can survive. This one had just come out and I was fairly young. I think around 5th or 6th grade at the time. There were 6 or 7 of us at this one kids house playing. Eventually we switched up to a method of winner stays and the loser gives up his controller. Pretty standard. I won so many matches in a row I ended up feeling bad and giving the controller to someone else to try. I had beat everyone else there three times. I felt like the king of the neighborhood.

I doubt I could ever do that again in a fighting game. Hell, I'd probably do worse against 6th graders today, but that sure was an epic afternoon all those years ago.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    almighty_monkeyalmighty_monkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Team Fortress Classic.

It was that map where you have to assisinate the president. Right at the very end of the map, through a 32-odd man clusterfuck of a firefight, with the prez about 2 seconds away from winning the game, I pulled off the luckiest sniper shot ever seen.

Also, 200 year nuclear slagging war with Germany in the original civilization.

Also, the first time I ever heard MOOOOOOOOOOOONSTER KILL!

almighty_monkey on
    Guitar!
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Halo 3:

2 flag CTF on Vahalla (I think, that one with the 2 bases with 3 mancannons each, a stream down the middle.) Whole game was a deadlock, noone scoring at all, when I plowed my Mongoose through this guy on the Red team trying to sneak up on some teammates fighting a Wraith near the Red base. At this time, Someone calls out that they made it into the enemy base, cleared in out, and is now waiting for someone to escort them back to base.

So I charge over to Red base (lost the 'goose) and ducked inside just as the entire Red team spawned and started massacring anyone outside. I got topside, my teamate picked up the flag, and the Red team had started it's aproach up the outside ramps to where we were.

So what did we do? We got on one of the Mongooses (Mongeese?) in their base, and I drove right through the Red team, behind their recently spawned Wraith, threading the small strip of space between it and the cliffside, and away to Freedom and Glory with the winning score, the flag carrier prasing my awesomness the entire time.

...and I'm the guy who typically flips and crashes into things all the time, to the point that I typically time out at least once at the end of the first Halo.

Ninja Gaiden:

Not so much as gameplay, as much as bragging to my friend, who couldn't get past the 2nd boss at the time, how I was one-shotting nearly every single boss, with both Alma fights taking only 3 tries apeice, with the first being beat with no healing items whatsoever.

...and of course, the big Bioshock reveal:
    Something I was always asking myself the entire time, that probably should have queued me in: How come I haven't found a audio log of Atlas?

... and while I'll agree that the game itself probably should have ended about 30 seconds after that video did (with Tenumbaum's "Welcome to the place where you were born." I think a big part of the problem (story-wise) afterwords was that there almost no build-up to the fight with Fontane- it was just a rush to try and finish the story up all nice and tight, rather that risk that the game might be recived poorly and leave questions unanswered.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That AvP story reminds me:

Metal Gear Online, MGS3 version: Snake mode pits one player versus the rest of the server, where Snake must locate the microfilm and then deliver it to a dropoff point.

The round started and I was Snake. I took a second to set my items so I could quickswitch easily, and I checked out the map to see where I needed to go. I was in the southeast corner of the map, and I needed to go to the northwest corner to retrieve the microfilm. I ran through an alleyway to a corner near the middle of the map, where I pressed against the wall (which was just textured to look like a grey door) and looked around the corner. I see what looks like the entire enemy team running in my direction.

Shitshitshit, nowhere to hide, I can't survive a fight against six guys, fuck it I'll use active camo.

Active camo doesn't quite turn you invisible, it's more like how it works in the Predator movies. Translucent with a green tint, and the light bends around you too. It's still pretty easy to see in a lot of cases. It also has a very limited battery life of maybe 10 seconds.

I actually held my breath. All 6 guys turned the corner in my direction and ran right by me.

I don't recall if I won the match, but damn that was awesome.

Renzo on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Idoliside wrote: »
    Needle wrote: »

Where the room goes black? And then slowly lights up to a flying Skaarg? Awesome moment.

The Sunspire, man. I am all about the Sunspire. Unreal is such a great game :^:

Lots to choose from, but two in particular have (relatively) recently been etched into my brain. Spoiled for length:

Stalker
    All sorts of crazy things happen in Stalker, but for me this one took the cake. I was traveling at night through the garbage dumps, on my way to Agroprom. Just coming down of repelling a bandit attack on the train station camp, I started working my way west, looting bodies as I went. Getting closer to the checkpoint I started seeing weird dots, little white dots, off in the distance. They went away after a second, so I paid it no mind, figuring it was a glitch or misaligned texture or something.

I got closer, and saw it again, only this time more of them. Still convinced it was a glitch of some sort, I kept going. Still more appeared, and they started spreading out, surrounding me. I didn't think anything of it. Let me stress at this point that I'd been through the game quite a few times; I was no authority, but I knew enough not to panic when some cloaked monster starts coming at me looking for blood. Game was only lightly modded, so no Oblivion Lost craziness.

When I realized - far too late - that those little white dots were eyes, I screamed. Not like a quick "Ah!" and it was over, but a full-throated, holy-shit-where-did-all-these-fucking-things-come-from cry of terror. I started firing blindly into the pack of boars and dogs - the most ordinary and predictable creatures in the game - and went into full-on panic mode. Minutes later, the last of them was either dead or running off, and I had burned through most of my rifle ammo and half my medkits.

Suffice it to say I took pains to travel in the daylight from then on.

Final Fantasy XI
    A warrior friend dragged me along to beat up some NM goblin for a rare item drop, this earring that boosts spell damage; I was playing a red mage, gearing up to break the level cap (which involves another fight, but that's another story), and would probably need it.

Some explanations are in order. After a certain point, red mages become white mages with Refresh (MP regen spell), and basically just stay out of arm's reach, heal, and throw enfeebling spells at the enemy. Their 2-hour timer ability, Chainspell, is generally only useful for FUBAR situations where you need to toss out ten spells yesterday. Never had to use it apart from emergency Warp casts and such.

So we gear up to take out this goblin, she attacked and I kept us both in one piece and kept it Silenced. We were doing all right for a while and got it down to about 1/3 of its health, when out of nowhere its silence effect dropped and it threw out this god-level ice spell. She had barely been hit, but this spell killed her outright. The goblin turned to me and I was pretty much screwed. Instead of running, I burn the Chainspell and just start casting like crazy. Slept it to keep it still, threw down an instant raise on the warrior and healed us both up, put up Stoneskin to ward off the next attack, Converted - switched MP and HP - to keep casting, and we were both back in the game.

We opted to try finishing it off, but when it woke, it was still pissed at me. I had to keep recasting Stoneskin to keep it from murdering me outright. Eventually the warrior pulled it off, but she was still weakened from the KO. We got it down to about a sliver of health, and it wound up for another cast of that same ice spell. I cast Silence again, but it didn't stick.

With maybe a couple seconds before the spell goes off, the warrior launches a weaponskill, cracks the goblin's skull with her own HP in the red. Critter goes down, and the earring we're looking for drops.

Did jigs all the way back to town.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    When Gears first came out my buddy and I were playing on Live. By coincidence my buddy had EPIC in his name, just like the guys from Epic Games. My buddy was completely dominating every game we joined, it got so crazy that everyone in the game was so convinced my buddy was from Epic games, we did little to discourage that. There were a lot of Live players telling him how awesome his game was, man we had a good laugh about that for a long time.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have a few, the only one I can really remember at this late hour is me escaping a 6 stars in GTW IV, on foot. No joke. I went Jason Bourne on them. It was epic.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ToyD wrote: »
    5. Finally beating a raid boss first on our WoW server. It was a 25 man in Ahn'Qiraj, but god damnit I was raid leader and we were first bitches. Thank the lord I don't play anymore.

There is something about raiding in WoW that they got so right. I quit a while ago, but I doubt I will forget the first time I fought and killed Ragnaros, or the weeks of preparation and practice it took to kill C'thun.

Ragnaros has the best opening speech ever, and C'thun took so much coordination, 40 people all tuned to their specific jobs, all depending on each other not to fuck up. That was a fight that took so much precision and teamwork.

Also, TF2, I killed a pyro with the heavy taunt and then ate a sandwich. Hilarious and memorable.

Couldn't agree more. C'thun was a bitch to beat if you had slackers along for the raid. I had to end up going along with another guild on the server because the guild I was with at the time insisted on bringing along people who were known to be dead weight. Man, if we'd just cut the 9 or so tools from the raid we'd have gotten C'thun down. As it is I ended up with my AQ25 armor bit from him and was quite happy.

edit: Hearing Ragnaros do his thing was awesome long after MC got boring as hell to clear.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Klatu wrote: »
    ToyD wrote: »
    5. Finally beating a raid boss first on our WoW server. It was a 25 man in Ahn'Qiraj, but god damnit I was raid leader and we were first bitches. Thank the lord I don't play anymore.

There is something about raiding in WoW that they got so right. I quit a while ago, but I doubt I will forget the first time I fought and killed Ragnaros, or the weeks of preparation and practice it took to kill C'thun.

Ragnaros has the best opening speech ever, and C'thun took so much coordination, 40 people all tuned to their specific jobs, all depending on each other not to fuck up. That was a fight that took so much precision and teamwork.

Also, TF2, I killed a pyro with the heavy taunt and then ate a sandwich. Hilarious and memorable.

Couldn't agree more. C'thun was a bitch to beat if you had slackers along for the raid. I had to end up going along with another guild on the server because the guild I was with at the time insisted on bringing along people who were known to be dead weight. Man, if we'd just cut the 9 or so tools from the raid we'd have gotten C'thun down. As it is I ended up with my AQ25 armor bit from him and was quite happy.

edit: Hearing Ragnaros do his thing was awesome long after MC got boring as hell to clear.

Archimonde is probably one of my favorite fights ever, because you can all be at the top of your game, executing perfectly, and one person does something juuuuuust wrong (like barely touches in the Doomfire while the healers are focused on the tank), and then he gets a soul charge, and everyone explodes.

The execution for that fight had to be so perfect, I remember the first time my guild downed him. It was the best feeling ever.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My favorite gaming moment, unfortunately, is a WoW moment. I've had lots of good ones, but this one is the one that always sticks out.

I was at about level 50 as a rogue and I was in Booty Bay (before they added effective guards) killing the 30s because I'm a dick like that. Anyway, I was killing a few guys up top near the pirate mayor (can't remember his name). After I killed them I turn around and there's this NE druid just watching. We both knew what was coming next.

I started chasing the druid and she was running as fast as she could. It was obvious that she was going for the water to seal up and swim away. I couldn't let that happen. I blew all my skills to avoid guards and catch up to the druid whittling her down the whole way. At this point we were outside of the tavern right on the edge. The druid was so close to freedom and all of my moves were on cooldown. It was a split-second decision as the druid jumped for the water and I hit my kick button as it was the only move I had left.

In midair, the kick finished off the druid and started the NE death animation of twirling around while falling backwards. For a few glorious seconds her corpse was twirling through the air before it hit the water and I hit vanish. That was the moment that made me go purchase FRAPS. If only I had had it beforehand.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    jynxycatjynxycat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Killing the C'thun and being one of the top 25 guilds in the game was pretty sweet.

Other than that, beating Metroid Zero Mission doing a low percent run. Beating Ridley with something like 2 health tanks was nuts.

jynxycat on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    One of things that really sticks with me is first experiencing the world of ruin in FFVI. It was such a harsh tonal shift from SNES-era JPG feel to crapsack world, you really felt lonely and shitty.

I can't remember the name of the place, but first seeing the hidden monastery of the dissident priests in morrowind was a cool experience.

The times you catch fire in FPSs, most recently I guess the rounds when I set my personal points record as a spy and demoman in TF.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You might want to spoiler that first part?

Rex Dart on