As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Civ 4 is too hard! I give up for ever!

HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
So I've been playing a bunch of Civ 4 lately and it seems like there is this huge gap between Noble and Prince. According to the description the AI is supposed to research and build slightly faster than you, but whenever I've tried it they've been running around with Longbowmen and Crossbowmen and Macemen when I'm just getting Swordsmen. And they have more troops.

On Noble I'm usually a couple of techs ahead of the computer, and can usually out produce them. But on Prince this does a complete 180.

Is this how it's supposed to be? Am I doing something wrong? What do you have to do to stand a chance in the upper half of the difficulty scale?

PS: I looked for an existing Civ 4 thread and couldn't find one.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
HamHamJ on

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2008
    Expand faster. Expand smarter. Be more aggressive. Stop using your workers dumbly. Stop building useless buildings and wonders.

This is just a generic response, but it's usually pretty accurate, especially when given no real information aside from "GAME IS HARD!"

Aroduc on
  • Options
    FendallFendall Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The AI in Civ IV isn't any smarter at higher difficulty ratings, it just gets a flat boost to its production, research and tax as well as happiness and health. The thing thats probably killing you is (obviously) bad city managment. Make sure you never get angry citizens or it cripples you for ages.

I always found the "Worker Chop" tactic works like a charm.
    1: Research Bronzeworking.
    2: Build a warrior till your city is size 2.
    3: Switch to a worker as soon as your city is size 2, even if you haven't finished the warrior.
    4: When the worker is done switch to a settler (again leave the warrior half built).
    5: Cutting down two forest tiles will build your settler in 6-7 turns.

This gets you an early second city, a worker to hook up resources and basic military units if you have access to metal.

Fendall on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Expand faster. Expand smarter. Be more aggressive. Stop using your workers dumbly. Stop building useless buildings and wonders.

This is just a generic response, but it's usually pretty accurate, especially when given no real information aside from "GAME IS HARD!"

My early game strategy right now is basically:

Build a Warrior in capital while my starting warrior explores. Then build a settler. Found a second city. Build worker in capital. Rinse and repeat until I run out of room.

I generally don't even bother with wonders early on, except maybe the Pyramids or Great Wall or if I don't have anything else to do.

In the most recent game I was Rome. It was a Tiny map and I had Ragnar and Mao I think as my opponents. I basically got Praetorians as fast as possible hoping to rush one or both of them straight off the bat but by the time I managed to get them going they already had crossbowmen!

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sounds like your not generating enough tax to support your cities. If you build to many cities your research will drop like a rock, you want it 80%+ at all times. Consider playing a leader with the Financial trait like Qin Shi Huang. If you put cottages on a river space they generate 3 tax per square before they even grow to towns.

Fendall on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fail

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fendall wrote: »
    Sounds like your not generating enough tax to support your cities. If you build to many cities your research will drop like a rock, you want it 80%+ at all times. Consider playing a leader with the Financial trait like Qin Shi Huang. If you put cottages on a river space they generate 3 tax per square before they even grow to towns.

Hm. I also really like Creative cause it means you can pretty much ignore Monuments. So... Catherine?

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Somebody is playing without expansions...

Catherine isn't Creative/Financial in the xpacks.

If your playing Vanilla, Catherine is great. Go for it :)

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it like Civ3 where the AI flat out cheats to do better than you? That always pissed me off.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Personally I think Creative is a waste of a trait. 2 culture is nothing once midgame kicks in. Just throw a missionary at new cities. Victoria is an excellent choice. Expansives +2 health means bigger cities and fast early growth from cheap granarys. And Redcoats kick the ass of most other unique units.

Fendall on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Somebody is playing without expansions...

Catherine isn't Creative/Financial in the xpacks.

If your playing Vanilla, Catherine is great. Go for it :)

Yeah I was looking in the manual at traits. However it has been changed.

I'm running Warlords and apparently there isn't anyone who is both Financial and Creative. :(

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2008
    Personally I think Creative is a waste of a trait. 2 culture is nothing once midgame kicks in. Just throw a missionary at new cities. Victoria is an excellent choice. Expansives +2 health means bigger cities and fast early growth from cheap granarys. And Redcoats kick the ass of most other unique units.

You're like from some kind of bizarro world where down is up and crazy is sane. Expansive is awful. Unless you're trapped on an island full of nothing but luxury resources, then you'll hit your happiness limit LONG before you hit your sickness rating, and all the sickness does is effectively lower the population limit without letting you go past it. You could make an argument for granaries, but even they're pretty minimally useful outside of the midgame when you can actually start population booms. By the time your city builds one, most are already size 3 or 4 anyway.

And besides all this, expansive doesn't even change growth rate until your cities reach size 5 or so when the difficulty level bonus to health outstrips the sickness penalty for size. I guess if you decide to build a city in the middle of a jungle, but still somehow have easy access to food, but if you're picking a trait based on that, I'll hit you. It does get more useful on the upper levels, but happiness is still an issue long before sickness.

Creative, on the other hand, is useful for any city, especially if there are multiple religions around (or you've had trouble grabbing one) and is awesome in the early game if there are nearby rivals. It also saves you from having to build any kind of culture building to fortify your border cities or resource colonies, and since they usually have shit for workable tiles, that's a free 30+ turns for that city. Cheap theaters are decent enough if you have culture issues in the midgame, and cols are nice for happiness issues (which are almost always present), or in vanilla, cheap libraries are just plain awesome... which is why it doesn't get them anymore.

===========
    Hamham,
    Ignore people who espouse concrete build orders. There is no perfect build order. If you've got a rival nearby, you can completely skip a worker and just take theirs.

I would suggest sending your second warrior out into the world. Wild animals can't enter your borders, and the AI won't attack you. Especially if you like rushing the Great Wall, make sure your scouts are out and being useful. Leave one in your city to prevent the unhappiness penalty, and keep a few archers at your borders so you can see if an opponent starts massing, but otherwise, your military can be minimal. If you don't get the great wall, keep archers at your borders anyway. An archer fortified on a forested hill is better defended than one in your city until/unless you put down walls.

Also, a good metric for the super early invasions is that 2 warriors have about a 75% chance of taking a T2 culture city on flatland defended by 1 warrior. So if you're feeling lucky, take 'em down. They'll have been building worker/settlers and have sent their other warriors out scouting, so it's an easy rival taken down and if they're close enough for the upkeep to not be oppressive, an awesome second city. 3 warriors is practically a certain win and usually enough to take down those pesky T3 culture cities (creative or holy). The AI does cheat this early on and spawn warriors if you give them too many turns, so if you declare war, you want your warriors next to their capital in that first turn and not attacking across a river or some shit.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The AI in Civ IV isn't any smarter at higher difficulty ratings, it just gets a flat boost to its production, research and tax as well as happiness and health. The thing thats probably killing you is (obviously) bad city managment. Make sure you never get angry citizens or it cripples you for ages.

I always found the "Worker Chop" tactic works like a charm.
    1: Research Bronzeworking.
    2: Build a warrior till your city is size 2.
    3: Switch to a worker as soon as your city is size 2, even if you haven't finished the warrior.
    4: When the worker is done switch to a settler (again leave the warrior half built).
    5: Cutting down two forest tiles will build your settler in 6-7 turns.

This gets you an early second city, a worker to hook up resources and basic military units if you have access to metal.

This works very well.

Here are some more tips for post chop-build:

It's nice to choose a leader that begins with mining so you can go straight to researching bronzeworking. If you discover bronzeworking through scouting switch to producing the worker before finishing the warrior.

If you like the wonder spam style of play I suggest choosing Bismark; He begins with mining plus being an IND (50% bonus to wonder production). He also begins with a scout rather than a warrior for a better chance at discovering techs.

Then there's the tech slingshot. First thing is to research to priesthood relatively soon, perhaps even before basic improvement techs like farming or fishing. Chop-Build the Oracle for the free tech after researching writing+priesthood. This will free up Code of Ethics for the slingshot which is a 500+ point tech. If following the chop-build method you should get there in 40-70 turns.

Even at the most difficult setting, if utilizing the chop build method followed by this tech slingshot you will be 100-150 points ahead of every civilization. A good head start.

*edit
    Another thing, if you are having problems with your economy choose a leader with the Financial skill. (Get +1 gold for plots that already have +2 or more gold) Spam build cottages and you've got it made. I like Huayna Capac whom is IND FIN.

MindLib on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Congratulations sire, our hard working labourers have finished the Great Pyramid wonder.

Shaka has completed construction of the Manhattan Project.

Oh you mother fucker.

The way to beat hard comps is rapid expansion I've always found. Also, no skipping turns, no automation on crop management. You have to do everything.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

You're like from some kind of bizarro world where down is up and crazy is sane. Expansive is awful. Unless you're trapped on an island full of nothing but luxury resources, then you'll hit your happiness limit LONG before you hit your sickness rating, and all the sickness does is effectively lower the population limit without letting you go past it. You could make an argument for granaries, but even they're pretty minimally useful outside of the midgame when you can actually start population booms. By the time your city builds one, most are already size 3 or 4 anyway.

And besides all this, expansive doesn't even change growth rate until your cities reach size 5 or so when the difficulty level bonus to health outstrips the sickness penalty for size. I guess if you decide to build a city in the middle of a jungle, but still somehow have easy access to food, but if you're picking a trait based on that, I'll hit you. It does get more useful on the upper levels, but happiness is still an issue long before sickness.

Creative, on the other hand, is useful for any city, especially if there are multiple religions around (or you've had trouble grabbing one) and is awesome in the early game if there are nearby rivals. It also saves you from having to build any kind of culture building to fortify your border cities or resource colonies, and since they usually have shit for workable tiles, that's a free 30+ turns for that city. Cheap theaters are decent enough if you have culture issues in the midgame, and cols are nice for happiness issues (which are almost always present), or in vanilla, cheap libraries are just plain awesome... which is why it doesn't get them anymore.

===========
    Hamham,
    Ignore people who espouse concrete build orders. There is no perfect build order. If you've got a rival nearby, you can completely skip a worker and just take theirs.

I would suggest sending your second warrior out into the world. Wild animals can't enter your borders, and the AI won't attack you. Especially if you like rushing the Great Wall, make sure your scouts are out and being useful. Leave one in your city to prevent the unhappiness penalty, and keep a few archers at your borders so you can see if an opponent starts massing, but otherwise, your military can be minimal. If you don't get the great wall, keep archers at your borders anyway. An archer fortified on a forested hill is better defended than one in your city until/unless you put down walls.

Also, a good metric for the super early invasions is that 2 warriors have about a 75% chance of taking a T2 culture city on flatland defended by 1 warrior. So if you're feeling lucky, take 'em down. They'll have been building worker/settlers and have sent their other warriors out scouting, so it's an easy rival taken down and if they're close enough for the upkeep to not be oppressive, an awesome second city. 3 warriors is practically a certain win and usually enough to take down those pesky T3 culture cities (creative or holy). The AI does cheat this early on and spawn warriors if you give them too many turns, so if you declare war, you want your warriors next to their capital in that first turn and not attacking across a river or some shit.

Firstly, IND is a far better trait for a culture victory than the creative trait itself, which is the only thing creative is good for. Make sure you get the Stonhenge wonder, after that I wouldn't be too worried. Use your Great Entertainers and set your civs and cities to produce culture. You don't need creative. On the flip side I think the expansive trait is more pointless than creative, agree with you there.

Disagree that there is no good concrete builder order. The worker-chop followed by the tech slingshot has worked wonders for me (NPI). The numbers speak for themselves. As far as I'm concerned it is the best way to start any game for any type of victory on any difficulty setting.

MindLib on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Congratulations sire, our hard working labourers have finished the Great Pyramid wonder.

Shaka has completed construction of the Manhattan Project.

Oh you mother fucker.

The way to beat hard comps is rapid expansion I've always found. Also, no skipping turns, no automation on crop management. You have to do everything.

You should be, anyway. The AI doesn't seem to capitalize on rivers.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Indeed.

Getting that second city up quick is gamewinning. So is pushing for a military. Depending on the agression of your AI opponents you should definetly be looking for some early battles, if you can knock them down a peg at the super early stage it will snowball.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Good basic tip. Lots of early cities is a good way to claim victory. Just make sure they cannot be conquered by providing a decent early defense or you're wasting your resources.

Also deny border access and create an early border perimeter on the map around free territory. This way you can take your time filling in the rest of the land with settlers which your rivals can only access now by boat. You should definitely have the area filled before they could do that.

MindLib on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    How do you guys respond to the AI demanding tribute?

Started a new game on Noble. So far I'm up to four cities, got the great wall built, and Citzen Itza (that is so not how you spell that). Alexander wanted me to give him Priesthood and I told him to go to hell. Now he's declared war on me. My major problem here is that while I have horses, I do not have a source of iron and thus can't build Axe-man or Swordsmen. He does though. Which makes me think I should just take out the pathetic assault force he sent at me with Horse Archers and then take his source of iron. And raze the rest.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2008
    MindLib wrote: »
    Firstly, IND is a far better trait for a culture victory than the creative trait itself, which is the only thing creative is good for. Make sure you get the Stonhenge wonder, after that I wouldn't be too worried. Use your Great Entertainers and set your civs and cities to produce culture. You don't need creative. On the flip side I think the expansive trait is more pointless than creative, agree with you there.

Disagree that there is no good concrete builder order. The worker-chop followed by the tech slingshot has worked wonders for me (NPI). The numbers speak for themselves. As far as I'm concerned it is the best way to start any game for any type of victory on any difficulty setting.

You're right, Industrious is a better one for a cultural win, which in no way reflects anything I said. Congratulations, you've fabricated an argument and won it. Well done.

And those numbers are assuming so very very much. If you're in any sort of situation with very little production (any and all of: coastal city, no hills, very few forests), then it's awful. If you've got a nearby rival that you can just take workers from, it's obviousal suboptimal. If you don't have any visible workable resources, then the early worker is dumb. The slingshot only works if you actually do get the Oracle. It's usually a safe bet against the AI because the AI doesn't prioritize it, but any time you're relying on a wonder, especially one as temporary as the Oracle, you're playing with fire.

And if the price for a slightly suboptimal city is the price for eliminating a rival within the first 50 turns, then... you know... you might want to consider that as a perfectly viable option.

========
    HamHam, depends. If it's a useless tech and they're way behind, I give it to them. If it's something expensive that would give them a big jump, or they're no threat to me at all, then they can screw off.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    MindLib wrote: »

You're right, Industrious is a better one for a cultural win, which in no way reflects anything I said. Congratulations, you've fabricated an argument and won it. Well done.

And those numbers are assuming so very very much. If you're in any sort of situation with very little production (any and all of: coastal city, no hills, very few forests), then it's awful. If you've got a nearby rival that you can just take workers from, it's obviousal suboptimal. If you don't have any visible workable resources, then the early worker is dumb. The slingshot only works if you actually do get the Oracle. It's usually a safe bet against the AI because the AI doesn't prioritize it, but any time you're relying on a wonder, especially one as temporary as the Oracle, you're playing with fire.

And if the price for a slightly suboptimal city is the price for eliminating a rival within the first 50 turns, then... you know... you might want to consider that as a perfectly viable option.

========
    HamHam, depends. If it's a useless tech and they're way behind, I give it to them. If it's something expensive that would give them a big jump, or they're no threat to me at all, then they can screw off.

I didn't mean to create an unnecessary argument, I was just trying to outline the uselessness of a trait you were advocating.

The oracle should be easy to obtain if you know what you're doing, hell the pyramids should be a snap if you follow the worker chop method.

You think this method has smaller long-term gains than war, but that's silly, you waste so much more energy sending your troops to conquer early in the game than you would building settlers, acquiring Stonehenge and the slingshot.

Conquer in the next era when your tech is twice your opponent's. There are too many variables in the higher difficulties when trying to conquer, there are much more animals, barbarians and aggressive AI. Nah, turtling with wonder spam is my method.

MindLib on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2008
    Resources? What the hell are you talking about? "3 warriors" is not some kind of terrible mass of resources when you're already advocating building two. Especially when you get a worker out of it. At worst, you get growth, the worker and forcing a rival backwards in exchange for, (again, at worst) slightly worse relations with your neighbor and at best, a second city with nigh-optimal placement and 4+ resources.

And I was defending Creative by pointing out the times and situations that it was useful over the rarely useful Expansive. Organized, Industrious, Aggressive, Charismatic, and Financial (not in that order) are all far far more universally useful traits.

And even with good strategies, on the upper difficulties, you can't rely on your tech being particularly far ahead of the enemy. You practically need to make a quick strike on at least someone early on to give yourself an early edge to counteract their "ha ha, free workers, free instant military units, and cheap production/research" crap if you've got someone nearby. Otherwise, they'll just overwhelm you before you have the time to make up the difference.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Resources? What the hell are you talking about? "3 warriors" is not some kind of terrible mass of resources when you're already advocating building two. Especially when you get a worker out of it. At worst, you get growth, the worker and forcing a rival backwards in exchange for, (again, at worst) slightly worse relations with your neighbor and at best, a second city with nigh-optimal placement and 4+ resources.

And I was defending Creative by pointing out the times and situations that it was useful over the rarely useful Expansive. Organized, Industrious, Aggressive, Charismatic, and Financial (not in that order) are all far far more universally useful traits.

And even with good strategies, on the upper difficulties, you can't rely on your tech being particularly far ahead of the enemy. You practically need to make a quick strike on at least someone early on to give yourself an early edge to counteract their "ha ha, free workers, free instant military units, and cheap production/research" crap if you've got someone nearby. Otherwise, they'll just overwhelm you before you have the time to make up the difference.

I don't care I'm better than you at this or any game.

I also went back in time and made love to your mom.

I love you son.

MindLib on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I refuse.

Also, I may be confusing this with GalCiv, but I believe that they only demand tribute when they know they have a better military.

Khavall on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I refuse.

Also, I may be confusing this with GalCiv, but I believe that they only demand tribute when they know they have a better military.

Hahahahahaha. No. Civ fuckers will demand whatever, whenever. It's usually passive-aggressive though unless they hate you. "It'd sure be neighborly of you if you shared this with us... YOU'LL REGRET THIS SLIGHT."

Aroduc on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fuck, this sounds way deeper than Civ Rev.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    EskimoDave wrote: »

It is.

Consoles. Feh.
    snob.jpg

artoo on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My god, people, don't make me start playing this again. My god.

gilrain on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2008
    Doesn't Civ Rev not have workers or some crazy ass shit like that?

That's fucking bananas.

I can't even imagine a Civ without workers. Well, except for the ones where workers and settlers were the same thing.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is Civ IV more accessible than Civ III? I enjoyed Civ III, but I just kept getting frustrated by mid-game.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2008
    korodullin wrote: »
    Is Civ IV more accessible than Civ III? I enjoyed Civ III, but I just kept getting frustrated by mid-game.

I have no idea what that means.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Civ IV is accessable, but I don't know how so compared to III. Do the tutorial, play on easy, get a feel for the way things work.

I have more fun with the game if I let things play out organically. When I play as a given leader, I try to roleplay them and do what I think they'd do. I don't get bogged down in micromanaging cities or rushing to techs. I play on lower difficulty and sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. It's fun and low-stress that way.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    artoo wrote: »
    EskimoDave wrote: »

It is.

Consoles. Feh.
    snob.jpg

I liked Civ Rev cause its a faster paced Civ2, which was the last Civ game I played.
    I'm bored of Civ Rev now. I've already got my 1000 GS, so there is nothing other than the game of the week to motivate me to play. Maybe I should trade up for Civ4.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Civ III, for me, had a pretty steep learning curve that I never could happen to surmount. I'm asking if Civ IV is easier to learn and get into compared to III.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't know if Civ 4 is easier to play than 3, but it is certainly more fun.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2008
    Nah. It's another layer of complexity added to Civ3.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Civ III, for me, had a pretty steep learning curve that I never could happen to surmount. I'm asking if Civ IV is easier to learn and get into compared to III.

They removed corruption and pollution.

It's slightly easier now.

I echo the feelings of the OP though. I suck at Civ 4. Mostly because I try to plat like an empire manager and expand like crazy and never trying to start wars.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Creative is an early-game boon, and the game is won or lost in the early game.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh gods you guys are killing me. I have been off Civ for about a year and a half now but you are sucking me back in!

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can't even imagine a Civ without workers. Well, except for the ones where workers and settlers were the same thing.

Man, someone should really create a colonization thread, it comes out in less than a month.

On topic, One thing that would help keep enemies in check, especially at the higher difficulties, is to keep the more powerful nations almost constantly at war, prefereably with each other. If you can, increase your reputation with them by getting the strong, and slow to fade, "common enemy" bonus.

Also, be aware that at higher difficulties, the AI loves to trade behind your back, so if you have a research advantage, either don't trade it away at all, or if other countries have it, take the initiative and trade it to those that don't have it before the AI does.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    One AI exploit that comes in handy at higher levels is to keep a unit near an enemy city early in the game- the AI doesn't build settlers when a city is threatened, so you can basically stall their growth by scaring them with a warrior. A unit with a movement bonus in the early game- like Woodsman II or Guerilla II can, if the terrain is right, dodge units the AI sends out to destroy it. So long as the unit sticks around in the city radius, it'll never build a settler- or if it does, it wont' send them out.

Professor Phobos on