As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghetto DIY RCA (previously minijack) Headphones...

TzenTzen Registered User regular
I'm sure this is completely stupid, but I tried it anyway.

I use a VGA cable to connect my 360 to a computer monitor, and it has the standard red and white RCA male plugs for audio. Naturally, my computer monitor doesn't have RCA inputs, so I wound up using the included RCA to minijack converter to route the audio through the line-in on my PC to get it to output to headphones/speakers.

But I don't want the 360 to be tied to a computer that has to be on to get audio, so I dug out an old RCA PSX audio/video cable and pulled away the two audio cables, which I then cut from the proprietary PSX connector at the end. I then took a pair of cheap headphones that I didn't care if I ruined and cut away the minijack male plug. I stripped the ends of all 4 wires and twisted them together (red to red and white to... green??), and surprise surprise I get no audio from the headphones when they're connected to the RCA plugs on the VGA cable.

Is there any way to make this work or am I just trying to do something impossible because I'm stupid and don't know what I'm doing?

Tzen on

• Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Probably that last one. Red is one channel, white is the other. The green cable on the RCA is the ground. There are 3 wires to connect. Find the ground in the headphones (probably a bare wire) and twist it with the greens.

headphones.png

The smart thing to do would have been to get a headphone jack coupler.

31rgaazLEfL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Keep in mind that all of these solutions ignore the fact that you're piping line-level sound into headphones, which will be at a set volume (probably too loud) and not sound very good.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The other thing to do is buy a receiver/amplifier ($59 for a cheap-o) and plug your headphones into that.

1ddqd on