As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Relocation destination: Ireland

VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
It's been a dream of mine to live in Ireland. Of course, I couldn't actually do it because I had no money and was still in college. Now that I just entered a stage of life where I could do it, I am considering the move more seriously as a young professional. I would be moving from the US to (most likely) Dublin as an engineer/businessman. My question to you is:

-What are some of the difficulties I could face during the move?

-What is Ireland like compared to the US?

-Would it be tough to find a job as an engineer with a few years of work experience? Would it be wise to get an MBA here first, then move? Or get an MBA there?

-What is a normal day like, including work culture?

All I know of Ireland is what I've read about. Unfortunately, due to the lack of money we had growing up, I never travelled outside the US/Canada. I don't really have a stockpile of money yet, but I'm trying to save a lot in case I really do want to get the hell out. You'll probably tell me to take a trip to Ireland for a while (and maybe to other countries as well) so that I'm not rushing in blind, which is a good idea. However, I would like to experience other aspects of life besides "tourist".

CoH_infantry.jpg
Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
VeritasVR on

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Where in Ireland are you interested in? I've lived in Dublin my entire life, but down the country would be completely different.

Tav on
  • Options
    X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    It's been a dream of mine to live in Ireland. Of course, I couldn't actually do it because I had no money and was still in college. Now that I just entered a stage of life where I could do it, I am considering the move more seriously as a young professional. I would be moving from the US to (most likely) Dublin as an engineer/businessman. My question to you is:

-What are some of the difficulties I could face during the move?

-What is Ireland like compared to the US?

-Would it be tough to find a job as an engineer with a few years of work experience? Would it be wise to get an MBA here first, then move? Or get an MBA there?

-What is a normal day like, including work culture?

All I know of Ireland is what I've read about. Unfortunately, due to the lack of money we had growing up, I never travelled outside the US/Canada. I don't really have a stockpile of money yet, but I'm trying to save a lot in case I really do want to get the hell out. You'll probably tell me to take a trip to Ireland for a while (and maybe to other countries as well) so that I'm not rushing in blind, which is a good idea. However, I would like to experience other aspects of life besides "tourist".

Have you thought about an internship first? It is a great way to see what working in another country is like with no strings attached, but without the touristy feel.

X3x3non on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Where in Ireland are you interested in? I've lived in Dublin my entire life, but down the country would be completely different.

Yeah, I want to live in Dublin, as it would be easier to get a job that suits my degree (and lifestyle). I grew up in the country but went to university in the city and enjoyed it more, so I'd like to live there for a while.
    X3x3non wrote: »
    Have you thought about an internship first? It is a great way to see what working in another country is like with no strings attached, but without the touristy feel.

I thought an "internship" per se was for students who are working on their degree. I would like to make the most of my skills with a full-time permanent position.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!