As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic The Gathering Coming to XBLA -- Screenshot in OP

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
My buddy spotted a screenshot. Note that it looks like this "expansion" is a special one for the 360? In the corner where the expansion symbol is there is a 360 controller:

Magic_the_Gathering_1.jpg

Magic_the_Gathering_2.jpg
Once upon a time, the elders among us sustained their Magic: the Gathering addiction through a PC version of the game and its expansion, Duels of the Planeswalkers. That particular game was abandoned by the publisher after a few years (and subsequently patched and available for free as Manalink). Fortunately, Wizards of the Coast has made a deal with Stainless Games to update the older title and make it available on the X-Box Live Arcade. There aren’t a lot of details about the title at this point (attendees at this year’s PAX conference will have the opportunity to play a demo), but it is scheduled to release in spring of 2009. Also, we know that the game will retain the single player, player vs player and multi-player modes from the original. A few questions I’d like to see answered include:

What card sets will be available?
Will we be able to buy boosters/sets through the arcade?
Will we be able to draft?
What does all this mean for MtG: Online?

http://purplepawn.com/2008/08/29/magic-the-gathering-on-x-box-live-arcade/

Was the PC version of the game any good? I might be interested in this if I don't have to buy a ton of boosters to stay competitive.

Bamelin on

• JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Demo at PAX? Great. A MtG: Online-type game on xbla would so good, too good probably (spent way too much on MtG back in the day).

Stainglass Games? Not so great. Happy Tree Friends was crap to say the least.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I still enjoy the PC game. The adventure portion of it was a pretty cool idea, if not the best execution, but I usually just play single matches against the CPU.

Sir Carcass on
  • SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The original game was fun, but deeply flawed. You ran around an RPG-type world and combat was resolved by playing Magic, where you would win cards. The AI ranged from mediocre to abysmal, and the RPG part was pretty weak. It was still fun crushing the computer. I never played the multiplayer modes.

If it is a truly the original game, the sets they included were the earliest released; the initial game had a selection of cards from Alpha/Beta/Unlimited, the first expansion (Spells of the Ancients) had a selection of cards from Arabian Nights / Antiquities, and the second expansion (Duel of the Planeswalkers) had a selection of cards from The Dark / Legends.

Serule on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Online was... dumb. I mean if you got someone who wanted to play a sealed deck, cool, but otherwise since you had access to every card available in the game, you were just playing with people stuffing their decks with overpowered cards. It got old and stupid. That being said, I did rather enjoy single player adventure mode.

Aoi on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is awesome news. Yes, the old PC game was good.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    Online was... dumb. I mean if you got someone who wanted to play a sealed deck, cool, but otherwise since you had access to every card available in the game, you were just playing with people stuffing their decks with overpowered cards. It got old and stupid. That being said, I did rather enjoy single player adventure mode.

I loved the deck that forces the oponent to drop all the cards from his entire deck in one turn.

And by "loved" I mean "I want to choke the bastard that came up with that one".

DanHibiki on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Makes you wonder how much theye going to screw people on packs of cards. Do you win them from battles or do you buy them with microsoft points....man....this could be a cash cow and a half if they go the latter...

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I still enjoy the PC game. The adventure portion of it was a pretty cool idea, if not the best execution, but I usually just play single matches against the CPU.

The final boss was hilarious. He had a monstrous five-color deck and 100 HP as I recall.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited August 2008
    They're porting the old game, so they won't be selling packs. If they're porting the old game, they just come with the game itself.

Aoi on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They're porting the old game, so they won't be selling packs. If they're porting the old game, they just come with the game itself.

Good to know. But I cant imagine microsoft will let this slip by without some sort of horrible scam to get our money...they never do....

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Locutus ZeroLocutus Zero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What is the difference between this and MTGO? Surely they won't let you do everything here for a one time fee when they charge you for cards on MTGO.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
    edited August 2008
    Well aren't you a ray of sunshine :P

Expansions with later sets, I would imagine.

Aoi on
    edited August 2008
    What is the difference between this and MTGO? Surely they won't let you do everything here for a one time fee when they charge you for cards on MTGO.

The difference is, going by the original game that this is being ported from, is that it has an rpg mode, and a base game that has several full sets of cards, and a deck builder. You can draw any cards you want from any available set and build decks and play against cpu or online. Again, if they're basing it off the original, there's no booster/starter buying, it's a single base game with a lot of sets. Like the Yu Gi Oh or Pokemon console card games. Think of it like one of those.

Aoi on
  • Locutus ZeroLocutus Zero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can't imagine this will have any online play unless it is VERY gimped. If I can build a deck that might see Standard play and play against people for free, I stop buying cards for MTGO (not that I do that, but hypothetically).

Then again, if they gimp the card selection, who wants to play that?

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They finally announce this as soon as my inside source for gossip moves :(

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This could be the coolest thing ever if they don't botch it up.

Please let it be the coolest thing ever.

RainbowDespair on
  • zeppelinzeppelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well fuck.

(sliver queen motherfuckers)

I don't think this is going to be what I hope it is, but an actual TCG launched on a console could have HUGE potential and would get a lot more people playing. As long as I don't have to go to the comic store to hit up tourneys.

zeppelin on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait, they're porting the ten-year-old Microprose game? That's pretty awesome, since it's a pain to get running at times nowadays.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I kinda wonder why they aren't just bringing MTGO over, except with a decent UI sans that ticket nonsense.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
    edited August 2008
    Give me MTGO but stable and with a reasonable pricing scheme that allows me to buy new sets for $10 or so and then have permanent access to them for both constructed and limited play and I'd be in heaven. None of this "Buy virtual booster packs that are just as expensive as real packs plus have to pay extra to participate in tournaments" nonsense.

RainbowDespair on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, the idea is to get ticks and use the marketplace to trade boosters, not actually buy them from the store. But I agree it's a silly system.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bamelin, I am starting you think that you are actively trying to destroy the social lives of us here at G&T. :P

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait, the Shandalar game?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited August 2008
    Wait, the Shandalar game?

Yup

Aoi on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I thought the original PC game was fun. Mainly because it took all the debate about how to use the cards out of sniveling whiners' hands.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hopefully, the AI in the adventure mode won't suck so badly. If they can just stop it from casting Giant Growth on my creatures, it'd be an improvement.

Tiemler on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    Bamelin, I am starting you think that you are actively trying to destroy the social lives of us here at G&T. :P

:whistle:

Bamelin on
  • JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So Joystick took a peek at it over at PAX, has also five screenshots (and a release date of march 2009).

Online multiplayer and online co-op (the hell?) is supposed to be one of the features.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ...well, lots of Magic variants are team-based (Emperor, Team, Two-Headed Giant, etc.). I'm more curious as to how many people can play each other at once.

As far as the booster arguement... I'm on the fence right now. On one hand, you could have all the cards availible once you purchase it. But this just lends people to make net decks instead of thinking on how to use the cards they would get in a starter deck and a couple of boosters. On the other, selling boosters could microtransact the whole thing to death- not to mention it leads to the same thing as card shop tournaments; the local rich kid waltzes in, buys three booster boxes, then comes back next week with a steamroller deck to crush every poor SOB that wants to play him.

I'd like to see a point system- you play a match, you get a point. You win the match, you get three. Boosters are ten points, starters are thirty, pre-cons are fifty. You could even have card auctions for points. Hell, it lends itself to tournament formats. This takes the whole money/MSP arguement out of it.

Instead of making this a ripoff of MTG: Online, why not make something where you don't have to drop another few hundred dollars on tickets and boosters at signup if you want a real chance at winning?

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Are they really porting this piece of shit game?

I bought this thinking it was awesome to play a visual version of MTG and it was just awful. I was hoping to see the cards come to life and be animated and all that jazz. Instead, it was just a cheaper way of playing MTG instead of buying physical cards. Total waste of money.

The only use I ever got out of it was using it to design decks, since it had all the cards available at the time.

JustinSane07 on
    edited September 2008
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    ...well, lots of Magic variants are team-based (Emperor, Team, Two-Headed Giant, etc.). I'm more curious as to how many people can play each other at once.

As far as the booster arguement... I'm on the fence right now. On one hand, you could have all the cards availible once you purchase it. But this just lends people to make net decks instead of thinking on how to use the cards they would get in a starter deck and a couple of boosters. On the other, selling boosters could microtransact the whole thing to death- not to mention it leads to the same thing as card shop tournaments; the local rich kid waltzes in, buys three booster boxes, then comes back next week with a steamroller deck to crush every poor SOB that wants to play him.

I'd like to see a point system- you play a match, you get a point. You win the match, you get three. Boosters are ten points, starters are thirty, pre-cons are fifty. You could even have card auctions for points. Hell, it lends itself to tournament formats. This takes the whole money/MSP arguement out of it.

Instead of making this a ripoff of MTG: Online, why not make something where you don't have to drop another few hundred dollars on tickets and boosters at signup if you want a real chance at winning?

Again, it's not another Magic:Online. It's a port of an old PC game. They may introduce new sets, but the game they're porting gives you entire sets of cards with it. You're, (somewhat)unfortunately, going to have access to entire sets right out of the box. They may introduce new sets, but it's not going to be tourney tickets, and booster packs, because that's not how the game they're porting worked.

Aoi on
    edited September 2008
    I'm seeing a lot of modern card art in those screenshots which has me pleased.

RainbowDespair on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    korodullin wrote: »
    Wait, they're porting the ten-year-old Microprose game? That's pretty awesome, since it's a pain to get running at times nowadays.

Shandalar I think it was called. Yeah that was an awesome game. Gotta love building cheese decks to kick that monster of a last bosses ass. It was 4th ed or something, if they gave us that with all the new editions I'd be so sold.

Arrath on
  • shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Not only was the old game from Microprose, but if memory serves, it was the last game Sid Meier worked on before he quit Microprose to start Firaxis.

I had fun with it, but if memory serves, the original had no multiplayer modes, and only had a few expansion sets. I hope they offer more than those few original expansions in this new version, in the initial package. If they offer enough expansions (say, at least up to Tempest, maybe?) from the start, I won't mind paying MSPs for groups of later expansions. If memory serves, most of the expansions that came after that were in groups of three, with one set that included starter decks, and the next two only boosters. If they charge for individual sets instead of those groups of three, then they're milking it too hard.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
    edited September 2008
    shutz wrote: »
    If they charge for individual sets instead of those groups of three, then they're milking it too hard.

I'll be happy as long as they don't charge $3.50 for 15 random cards (Hi MTGO!).

RainbowDespair on
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow, I can't believe this is actually still coming out.

This thing was leaked by Luke Smith on 1Up Yours like two years ago....

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
    edited September 2008
    Not only was the old game from Microprose, but if memory serves, it was the last game Sid Meier worked on before he quit Microprose to start Firaxis.

I had fun with it, but if memory serves, the original had no multiplayer modes, and only had a few expansion sets. I hope they offer more than those few original expansions in this new version, in the initial package. If they offer enough expansions (say, at least up to Tempest, maybe?) from the start, I won't mind paying MSPs for groups of later expansions. If memory serves, most of the expansions that came after that were in groups of three, with one set that included starter decks, and the next two only boosters. If they charge for individual sets instead of those groups of three, then they're milking it too hard.

A later expansion added online, actually. Though again, it was broke as fuck unless you found someone willing to play sealed decks.

Aoi on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    New screen:

Magic_the_Gathering_1.jpg

Bamelin on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh fuck me. Sucks this isn't coming to PSN.

I've never played Magic, but Magic in video game form is something I can get behind.

UnbreakableVow on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

A later expansion added online, actually. Though again, it was broke as fuck unless you found someone willing to play sealed decks.

Oh god yes it was horribly broken. My friends worked on cheese decks, we once did a 100 damage fireball on the 2nd turn.

Arrath on