As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nerf Guns and the Modding Thereof

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    How do colleges usually react to this sort of thing? I mean, I doubt I could bring my Longshot onto the quad of Illinois State, and not get hassled about it.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I picked up two Mavericks and Bully last night. I had to pay a $300 USD ticket today. :(

Payday is the 27th. :|

The Longshot will be mine. :twisted:

How about a camo paint sheme? I used to paint Gundam and give them to my little brothers for Christmas; the camo scheme went over like gangbusters. Any ideas?

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    cobaltcobalt Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    How do colleges usually react to this sort of thing? I mean, I doubt I could bring my Longshot onto the quad of Illinois State, and not get hassled about it.

I'm not really sure, honestly. I went to a small private college, and nobody seemed to have a problem with it there, as long as we stayed away from busy areas (which we did, except for a couple cafeteria raids, and a computer-lab assassination... but we left these areas pretty quickly). I imagine larger colleges might consider it a nuisance, but I don't see why they would have a problem with you having it on school grounds, provided you weren't picking people off from the bell tower.

cobalt on
    Sasuke+Plushie.png
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Athenor wrote:

Just don't dye the gun black. Keep it the big flashy yellow and orange and they typically don't bother you as long as no one complians of you shooting them in the eye.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I've had the cops called on me at my college for running with a hooded sweatshirt up (It was drizzling and I was doing my offseason track workout), so taking thiss tuff outside wont be a good idea unless we stay away from the roads that the cops can go on.

Still, I would love to sit in a tree, waiting for someone to get out of class and snipe them as they leave the building.

Anyone do ammo mods yet? I've done the one where you add a piece of steel shot or a small ball bearing into the dart and then super glued it. It adds probably 10 feet in distance.

edit- you arent hitting them with shot, the superglue goes infront of it and acts as another soft rubber tip.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't know if I could ever do a nerf war. I think I'd always be scrambling to recover my darts.

ah, the joys of OCD...

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    cobaltcobalt Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jyardana wrote:
    I've had the cops called on me at my college for running with a hooded sweatshirt up

Oh, man. What the fuck?

I'm not sure that I'd want to try a Nerf War at your college. I'm not sure that I'd even want to walk around at your college.

cobalt on
    Sasuke+Plushie.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    I don't know if I could ever do a nerf war. I think I'd always be scrambling to recover my darts.

ah, the joys of OCD...

This is why I check Hasbro's webpage, quite often, to see if they are selling Longshot ammo/clips yet.

Which, as of yet, they aren't.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I had to get more ammo for the Maverick I have at work, and all target had was the kind with the velcro on them. They are slightly too long for the Maverick barrel, so I cut a small bit off the tails on each one. They work perfectly now.

Bouncy as hell too. Someone returned my fire with one earlier, and it bounced back and forth twice before bonking someone in the forehead.

We may need to do something about that... I don't like the idea of ricochet casualties.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    nerfgun.jpg

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MuddBudd wrote:
    I had to get more ammo for the Maverick I have at work, and all target had was the kind with the velcro on them. They are slightly too long for the Maverick barrel, so I cut a small bit off the tails on each one. They work perfectly now.

Bouncy as hell too. Someone returned my fire with one earlier, and it bounced back and forth twice before bonking someone in the forehead.

We may need to do something about that... I don't like the idea of ricochet casualties.

Those would be dart tag darts. They're nice. Still need to get more guns that can fire the damn things, though.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    MuddBudd wrote:

Those would be dart tag darts. They're nice. Still need to get more guns that can fire the damn things, though.

Yeah. I took a millimeter or two off the end of each one, and then they started working fine.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    MuddBudd wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    MuddBudd wrote:

Yeah. I took a millimeter or two off the end of each one, and then they started working fine.

Awesome, good to know I can buy more darts.

I'm honestly thinking about buying another just so i can have 4 clips on me during a war.

Also- nerf needs to make a knife. If I run out of ammo I want to be able to hide in a bush and shank someone.
    Oh, man. What the fuck?

I'm not sure that I'd want to try a Nerf War at your college. I'm not sure that I'd even want to walk around at your college.

It was pretty annoying. I was doing hill sprints and a guy called them saying I was looking suspicious and acting like I was going to break into cars.

I didn't know that thiefs run up a hill 8 times before they break into your car.....

Jyardana on
  • Options
    VoraciousAardvarkVoraciousAardvark Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bam?

Mavericks1.jpg

Mavericks2.jpg

Maverik3.jpg

Our house tends not to be safe for visitors unless guests actually walk in with a nerf gun. End of the workday everyday is a full out assault in the living room, it's fantastic.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Too awesome, Aardvark.

I need a place to buy the Longshot/Maverick combo online that doesn't rape for shipping. Suggestions?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bam?

[img]:O[/img]

Our house tends not to be safe for visitors unless guests actually walk in with a nerf gun. End of the workday everyday is a full out assault in the living room, it's fantastic.

How did you do that, you glorious, glorious bastard?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Bam?

I agree, you bastard.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bam?

Mavericks1.jpg

Mavericks2.jpg

Maverik3.jpg

Those are fucking sweet. Did you paint them up yourself?

Second question, how did you paint them? I mean, what kind of paint did you use to get the worn steel look?

Third question, have you considered how much a pair like that might fetch on e-bay? At least until a cop gunned down some kid for brandishing a pair of nerf hand-cannons...

Edited to fix the image tags. Guns are too sweet to be BotP'd.
    Man, these are the things I think about when someone says 40k Bolters

see317 on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

orgasmic pictures

Excellent job on those. Seriously A+ work right there.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for all the comments. I painted these up myself, and modded them to boot. I took everything apart, and sprayed it down with a Krylon plastic bonding primer. I sprayed a flat black, then pulled out all my games workshop paints and went to town. All the metal is drybrushed mithril silver, and I just did a couple layers of blending to the handles to achieve that look. The green gun is just 4 layers of drybrushed greens, and painted on damage.

I have no clue how much these might fetch on ebay, hadn't thought about it. I do have a modded/painted firefly as well, and a few other guns if anyone cares.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bam?

I have seen true beauty.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for all the comments. I painted these up myself, and modded them to boot. I took everything apart, and sprayed it down with a Krylon plastic bonding primer. I sprayed a flat black, then pulled out all my games workshop paints and went to town. All the metal is drybrushed mithril silver, and I just did a couple layers of blending to the handles to achieve that look. The green gun is just 4 layers of drybrushed greens, and painted on damage.

I have no clue how much these might fetch on ebay, hadn't thought about it. I do have a modded/painted firefly as well, and a few other guns if anyone cares.

Put those on Nerfhaven. You'll be a God.

Christ man, I'd pay maybe $130 for those guns in one lot. Maybe more. They're beautiful, and I'd never get to do that myself.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Wow. I just wanted to share my stuff with like minded enthusiasts, but you guys are making me blush. Who knew miniature painting skills would come in handy for something else one day? We have a sci fi larp down where I live, that just happens to use nerf guns as its weapon of choice, so we pretty much bought out our local toys'r'us.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bam?

Maverik3.jpg

I would pay you to paint up one of those new sniper rifles for me. Interested?

Esh on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Wow. I just wanted to share my stuff with like minded enthusiasts, but you guys are making me blush. Who knew miniature painting skills would come in handy for something else one day? We have a sci fi larp down where I live, that just happens to use nerf guns as its weapon of choice, so we pretty much bought out our local toys'r'us.

That's so awesome.

A Military LARP like that would rule.

Edit: If your local newspaper has an advertisement section, put a classified ad in. Say you'll paint Nerf Guns for a price. Make some cash on the side.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Figured I would post the rest of what I can find at the moment.

Modded Firefly:
    Firefly1.jpg

Firefly2.jpg

Old Star Wars episode one replica blaster that I got on ebay and repainted. Yes, it fits in perfectly in the glock holster behind it.

Pistol1.jpg

Pistol2.jpg

And yes, yes I would paint these for monies. A million times yes. Its fun enough as is. PM me.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Figured I would post the rest of what I can find at the moment.

Modded Firefly:

Old Star Wars episode one replica blaster that I got on ebay and repainted. Yes, it fits in perfectly in the glock holster behind it.

And yes, yes I would paint these for monies. A million times yes. Its fun enough as is. PM me.

Oh my GOD.

Dude.

Dude.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Put those on Nerfhaven. You'll be a God.

Just don't make a thread about it on the forums. They don't consider painting to be a "mod" and will basically call you a ricer in so many words.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    They actually have a painting thread in the mods forum, its just that almost no one reads it, so I was kind of dismissed.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    How do you get the paint to have a scraped up metal look?

Because I'll be damned if it doesn't look fucking gorgeous.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You guys are a danger to my wallet.

I was in target yesterday and they had plenty of the mavericks and longshots and I thought about walking out with 2 mavs and a longshot but I did not. Unfortunately I have no one to play with here, and outside of my own enjoyment of shooting the mirrors and TVs in my house, I would have no use for them.

Now you make me wish I had gotten them.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Jyardana wrote:

Which gun? I couldn't figure out if you meant the actual metal looking guns, the green with the damage, or the black with the damage.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Jyardana wrote:

Which gun? I couldn't figure out if you meant the actual metal looking guns, the green with the damage, or the black with the damage.

The Firefly.

Although I would also like to hear how you got the look for the black Mavs as well.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    How much does the Krylon primer stuff cost, that makes the paint sink in and not feel like it's painted?

Athenor on
  • Options
    winter_chiliwinter_chili Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Dude I just gotta say. I miss nerf, and those guns that are painted are insanely sweet. Mad props.

winter_chili on
    sigalso.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    -Jyardana -The mavericks and the firefly start off black, and then I use a painting technique called drybrushing to hit the highlights of the gun with metal paint. Thats what gets the color looking that way. They actually look really bright until I seal them.

-Athenor - The primer isn't what makes the paint feel less like paint, its what holds the paint to the gun. A good gloss acrylic makes the paint feel just like the plastic finish, and gives the guns a shiny look to it.

Thanks for all the compliments, they're much appreciated. My friends just dropped by in the last hour or so with another Maverick, a nitefinder (sp?) and a buzz bee toys double shot rifle. I'll be taking these apart and painting them tomorrow, I'm thrilled =)

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Awesome drybrushing. That's similar to what I have in mind for one of my Mavericks, only instead of a steel drybrush, I was going to do a bronze.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mavericks2.jpg
    It's funny that you mention a sci-fi larp, because my wife and I did Malcolm Reynolds and Inara Sera costumes for Halloween last year, and were considering doing the same thing again this year, and the first thing I thought when I saw the top one was my God I need that for Mal's gun.

I've already ordered a Maverick online, but I know I won't be able to match that glorious paint job. Hats off, sir. :^: :shock: :^:

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I've never possessed a Nerf gun in my life (they're just not popular at all on this side of the pond, it appears), nor have I ever had any interest in purchasing one, since I'd have noone to play with, and yet it took a great deal of self-restraint not to hit up the PMs and ask if Aardvark would consider shipping internationally. Perhaps in the future, when I have slightly more money to throw around irresponsibly.

Those guns are poetry. In particular, the Firefly is very impressive and I must own one of those revolver-types you posted on page 7.

Gods, I wish I wasn't so arse at arts and crafts.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    I've never possessed a Nerf gun in my life (they're just not popular at all on this side of the pond, it appears), nor have I ever had any interest in purchasing one, since I'd have noone to play with, and yet it took a great deal of self-restraint not to hit up the PMs and ask if Aardvark would consider shipping internationally. Perhaps in the future, when I have slightly more money to throw around irresponsibly.

Those guns are poetry. In particular, the Firefly is very impressive and I must own one of those revolver-types you posted on page 7.

Gods, I wish I wasn't so arse at arts and crafts.

The revolver-types are Mavericks.

And fuck current interest. Buy a whole bunch and go force your friends to play.

yalborap on