As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forumers: Past, Present, Future

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Past: Lovechild of a May-December relationship in Atlanta, GA. Moved around a lot (father was military) including Europe and North Africa.

Current: Living just north of Atlanta now in my dad's house paying $1000 a month since he took out a loan to buy a house in Florida so he can go and die.

Future: One of two routes: either joining the Airforce so they pay for my grad school and give me a 9-5 for the time being, or my dad kicks it, I sell all of his antiques and valuables and pay for grad school with the massive amount of money sitting in my attic that I can't touch.
    Hi5 love childs!

Quid on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Satan. wrote: »
    Man rad doesn't even get a mention.

Harsh
    Who?

It's because I'm not real. I'm a figment of the forum's imagination.

Past: Born in NC, moved around to England, Utah, Panama, and finally Pensacola, Florida where I was at from 4th grade till about a month ago. Got three years of my college done there and then moved to...

Present: Monterey, CA where I am going to marry some whore of a sailor and finish my last year of my psych degree before we head off to

Future: Hawaii. And then somewhere. I don't know where it will be long after that but it's going to involve lots of pets and faux-snobby dinner parties with friends. It has to.

Make with the bunnies!

Quid: ^5!

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Past: Born and raised in a lower-middle class suburb of New Jersey, 7 miles from the heart of Manhattan as the crow flies. Handed a fantastic secondary schooling at the Academy for the Advancement of Science and Technology -- a National Blue Ribbon school -- and then a shitload of problems that ran me through a full life's gamut of challenges in the span of four years. While attending and dropping out of college twice due to extenuating circumstances, being kicked out of my family, being kicked within inches of my life, and being put through everything else imaginable, I moved a total of 47 times (up and down the east coast primarily, as far north as Connecticut and as far south as Florida, with notable aberration Seattle) before ending up where I am now, in the

Present: in western North Carolina. This is absolutely detestable, though, so I'll not be here for long and instead will, as soon as possible, segue into the

Future: where I hope to take advantage of my compressed and composite crash course in humanity and the living life to rise above and return to Seattle, or at least the Seattle suburbs. I have numerous possibilities as far as career fields I could enjoyably enter into (mathematics and hard sciences, dance, creative writing and other arts, anthropology), but I'm honestly more driven by the desire for thus-far unachieved romantic conquest in the slightest (21 this December and never in an actual relationship), culminating someday in my being among the best mothers that ever bore the title.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2008
    Past: Sudan/Libya/Egypt

Present: TN, USA

Future: Cairo/Dubai (or maybe NY)

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Past: Lived from age fetus to 17 in a Chicago suburb with a depressing high school.

Present: Moved into Sheridan College in Oakville, Ontario last Wednesday. Currently in the Art Fundamentals program (although I was apparently #1 on the international waitlist for Illustration, I'm not getting my hopes up at this point). Class starts on Tuesday, I am pretty psyched.

Future: Commercial illustrator of some kind. I don't really care what.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Heres mine

Past: washington state, redmond.... twin cities in minnesota.... school in spokane, home in san diego
    Present: Rome, Italy
    Future: Paris, France... thesis

with some nice free internet

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Past: Born in Maryland, moved to Winston-Salem NC at 12; began posting on PA phorums 'round 03 or thereabouts. Followed PA into guilds in SWG and WoW.

Present: Living in Olympia, WA after finishing college. Constantly looking for a full-time job to pay my bills.

Future: Canada or Seattle, probably, making enough to survive and write a novel.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Past: Grew up in central Illinois. Been using computers for as long as I can remember, which led me to pursue a degree in computer science. Graduated from Illinois State University.

Present: Working in the Illinois side of the Quad Cities for a smallish contract programing company. Coding way too many ASP.NET websites for customers that don't really know what they want.

Future: Moving elsewhere (Chicago perhaps?), figuring out what I really want to do and continuing education in school or otherwise, perhaps shifting my career focus at some point.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Past: Born in a shitty-ass little town back in 1992 in Southern California. Joined the PA forums 4 years ago.

Present: In a shitty-ass little RESORT town half an hour away from where I was born. Still posting, hopefully doing better at it. Started to get into photography.

Future: Get the bloody fuck out of this county and get up north, find somewhere to make a living as a photographer of some form. Make living as photographer.

yalborap on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Past: Born/raised in Victoria BC, brief stint in Nanaimo for the lady's schooling.
    Present: Good job, same place.
    Future: Good job, same place, house, kids.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Past: Born in a hut in some forgettable farming province and lived in the Philippines till I moved to the U.S. in 1992

Present: Currently in my second year at the University of Florida College of Law

Future: Choice between grunt work at a firm in Jacksonville, FL or doing governmental but lower-paying work in D.C.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Past: Born in Cali, legally raised by parents, raised and taught life by outsiders.
    Present: Living in awful, awful east Texas, getting my shit together of my own motivation.
    Future: Seattle area (maybe) with awesome little lady.

alternate answer

Past: (five years ago) Signed up for PA forum.
    Present: Making this post for PA forum.
    Future: Still posting on PA forum.

You left out your stint as a mod.

I drink to forget.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Past: Born/raised in Victoria BC, brief stint in Nanaimo for the lady's schooling.
    Present: Good job, same place.
    Future: Good job, same place, house, kids.
    Further in future: Good job, same place, house, kids, dog, yacht
    Steady progression is best? :P

Past: Born in Seoul. Legally adopted by american family. Lived in California for a bit. Grew up mainly in Houston.
    Present: Finishing degree in graphic communications at University of Houston.
    Future: Graduating in the spring finally. Getting a job that isn't part time, and a place that isn't with family. Engagement.

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Past: North-East England
    Present: North-East England
    Future: actually graduate and maybe get a job somewhere else just to live in a different city for once.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Past: Born in a small town north of Toronto.

Present: Currently job hunting, as i was kicked out of university for a year due to circumstances that were not in my control.

Future: Out of this lil hell hole of a town, teaching History.

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    I thought this might be a neat thread to make, chronicling where forumers have been in their lives, and where they are going. Always fun to see if someone is living nearby:

Past: Grew up on the West Coast.

Current: Attending John Hopkins, last year, on the East Coast.

Future: Psycologist in New York or Chicago.

My brother is in his last year at Hop. He hates it there despite that may end up doing grad school. I thought only douchebags went to hopkins, D&D forumer, huh. Who would have known.

Werdna on
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Born in LA, raised in Orange County, went to UCLA to get a Philosophy degree, then moved up to Silicon Valley AKA 'Man Jose' after graduation to work for an online game company.

Present: Seoul, Korea developing online games for Asia

Future: Seoul, Korea developing online games for the rest of the world

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    krapst78 wrote: »
    Past: Born in LA, raised in Orange County, went to UCLA to get a Philosophy degree, then moved up to Silicon Valley AKA 'Man Jose' after graduation to work for an online game company.

Can we substitute "developing online games" for "shoveling MMO's onto the market"? :P

Also your avatar looks silly.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Born in Denver, Colorado. Lived in Sedalia, Colorado till 5th grade then moved to Littleton where I stayed till I went to Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado. Graduated in 4.5 years with a double major in History/International Studies with a focus on Japan. Worked for Dish Network for 7 months till I got a job teach English in Japan.

Present:Teaching English in Otuski, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan. I live in a small small town that is half way between Tokyo and Kofu. At least on the weekends I get a kind of night life. Currently applying to Graduate School.

Future:Hopefully grad school to get my PhD. in Japanese history since that is where my language skills are. If the planets align right and a miricale happens I will get into the Univeristy of Chicago and live there for about 5 years.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Grew up in the ass end of nowhere, KY. Attended one of the worst public school systems in the region.

Present: Attending Murray State University, still in Western KY. Studying Archaeology.

Future: Graduate degree, probably at the University of NC. Then on to wherever my chosen specialization in the field takes me.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Entire chain of history builds towards my birth. At the moment I take my first breath all eagles within 400 miles of Women and Infants hospital in Providence, Rhode Island cry out three times and fall dead.

Present: Biding my time, scheming. Plotting.

Future: Absolute ruler of all I survey. Hire official Surveying Teams.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Grew up in Harrisonville, Missouri, Guadalajara, Mexico, Arvada, Colorado, and Rosemount, Minnesota.

Present: Majoring in mechanical engineering at Colorado School of Mines.

Future: Serving the corporate elite at a giant engineering firm.

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Raised in the various suburban petrie dishes of Phoenix, Orange County, and Sacamento.
    Did my B.A. at Humboldt State University in English.

Present: Starting MSW program at Portland State University

Future: Will work for State of Oregon Dept of Human Services. Live somewhere rural and quaint. Light ambition for doctorate, god knows.

Werdna on
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Born somewhere in the vast region known as Asia. Spent a fair chunk of my childhood in Melbourne, Australia. Went "across the ditch" and spent the rest of childhood/teenage years in Auckland, New Zealand.

Have managed to obtain strange mongrel accent due to upbringing. Not quite a Kiwi (New Zealand) accent, practically no touch of the Australian accent anymore, some parts American and some parts British due to learning English from watching television shows during my misspent youth. No matter where I am, my accent is from somewhere else. =P

Present: On the tail end of my post-graduate degree at the University of Auckland. Spending time on the PA forums playing Phalla and lurking instead of actually working. Wondering how I can possibly afford Rock Band when it's released here. Learning that maintaining long hair is a bit harder than expected.

Future: Finish my degree. Get a job. Save money. Grow hair much longer than it currently is. Buy a 500-650cc sports bike so that I can take this photo in real life with me instead of a stick figure:

gsx650fk8smallej4.jpg

I've been making steady progress towards that goal - already made myself a top hat and have spent the past year avoiding death on the roads from other drivers. It's only a matter of time and money now.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: born and raised in Milwaukee, WI. Went to to college, got a degree I don't use, worked a lot of video game retail as a store manager; made an awkward jump to IT.

Present: slightly underqualified, in way over my head, nervous wreck of an IT manager for a collections law firm who still lives in south east Wisconsin.

Future: either finding a way to deal with the stress of IT management or retreating to an easier position and making less money. I like stuff, and stuff requires discretionary funds, but I also liked not being worried all the damn time.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Born Northampton, England (because Milton Keynes didn't have a hospital); moved around the UK a lot, ending up in Glasgow where I gained my MA (Hons) and MLitt; made a brief trip to Cambridge for an MPhil.

Present: packing boxes to go to Birmingham for my PhD

Future: hopefully get PhD, actually manage to get a job, publish a few forgettable articles, etc. Marriage would be nice too.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Born in Iowa. Grew up in Kansas, went to college there.

Present: Living in Kansas. Not too bad.

Future: Would love to be living somewhere in the Rockies. Somewhere in Colorado, Wyoming or Arizona.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    krapst78 wrote: »

Can we substitute "developing online games" for "shoveling MMO's onto the market"? :P

Also your avatar looks silly.

Hehe, Korea is definitely responsible for a lot of shovelware MMOGs that gets dumped to the rest of the world. The scary thing is that most of the crappy MMOGs you see outside of Korea represent only a teeny tiny fraction of the junk that gets released here. Luckily, the projects I've had the opportunity to work on have more substance so hopefully I won't be considered guilty of flooding the market with "those" games.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Born and raised in suburban New Jersey, the awesomest and bestest state in the Union.

Present: Studying Psychology at Stanford University, the awesomest and bestest college in the universe.

Future: Law school? Business school? Who the hell knows.

Talka on
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past:
    Present: On the tail end of my post-graduate degree at the University of Auckland. Spending time on the PA forums playing Phalla and lurking instead of actually working. Wondering how I can possibly afford Rock Band when it's released here. Learning that maintaining long hair is a bit harder than expected.

You know Rock Band will never come out here right?
    It's a fools wait...
    Past: Born in Sydney Australia
    Present: Still in Sydney, finishing off a Nursing degree, got little under 10 weeks left
    Future: Finish my degree, do a new grad program and get some experiance then do some travelling on the job.
    And wait for Rock Band to come out.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Past: Born in Cali, legally raised by parents, raised and taught life by outsiders.
    Present: Living in awful, awful east Texas, getting my shit together of my own motivation.
    Future: Seattle area (maybe) with awesome little lady.

alternate answer

Past: (five years ago) Signed up for PA forum.
    Present: Making this post for PA forum.
    Future: Still posting on PA forum.

You left out your stint as a mod.

I drink to forget.

Did you forget... us?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hearthjaw wrote: »
    Past:

You know Rock Band will never come out here right?
    It's a fools wait...

Haha, I remain optimistic. Should've seen the crazy plans my friends and I came up with for saving money on Rock Band. I think at one stage, I was going to be buying the game in Australia and claiming the 10% (?) GST back when coming back to New Zealand.

Unfortunately, official pricing remains unconfirmed so I have no idea how much I would really be saving. =/

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Did not exist.

Present: Alive.

Future: Dead.

A more short-term view...

Past: Grew up in Clifton Park, a few miles north of Albany, NY.

Present: Living and working in Albany as a database monkey.

Future: Buy a place to live instead of renting.

Even more short-term...

Past: Asleep.

Present: Awake.

Future: Breakfast.

Cantide on
  • Options
    interceptintercept Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Born in Seoul, South Korea. Jamshil sector, for anyone who's been there. Moved to Queens, NYC when I was 3 with my family and lived poor as hell in a one room apartment. I still remember that my only toy was a tube of cardboard -- the kind used to hold toilet paper in place. My dad was visiting one of his mentors in grad school, and the guy felt so bad for me he gave me a NES with Nintendo Tennis and Mario. I've been playing games ever since.

Present: Finishing undergrad in a year. My college experience, academically, has been a blast. I've had the pleasure of having many great mentors over the years. Thinking about grad school, and my profs are pushing me because they think I'm smart enough for a grant. Been looking at writing programs at Columbia and Princeton.

Future: Fiction writer? Actor? Game reviewer? Game developer? All four? I want to do alot. My immediate concern though is getting a Glad title on my rogue before WotLK goes live. I got so fed up with my mage that I quit him in the middle of S3 and left my RMP hanging at around 2.1k. I just hope I'm a better rogue than a mage.

intercept on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Born in Birmingham, AL. Son of a librarian and a book dealer/title clerk. Got a bachelor's and master's in English and a Masters in Library Studies.

Current: Living in the Bay Area with a friend. Living off my friend's generosity and my savings until I get a job.

Future: Be a community college teacher or a librarian. Hopefully here because I love it here even though the adjustment has been hard at times.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan--living at the time in Simmie, SK (about a half hour south of Swift Current, near Duncairn Dam) (was born a month premature, so had to go to "the big city" to be safe for the process of being born... I was tiny). Lived there until grade 1, then moved into Swift Current proper when my dad decided to give up the game and get out of farming (good on him!).

Present: Living in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Been here since the end of grade one and have been enjoying it. Some university here, but mostly just working. Currently the front-man for Admissions at the College of Dentistry at the University of Saskatchewan, but also providing college-wide software support and general administrative/problem-solving duties.

Future: Living in Saskatoon, managing some department within the College or some other aspect of the University, or at least in the upper-management areas of Admin/HR in one of the better local companies, like Cameco or the Saskatchewan Research Council.

Alternative Future: Living in New Zealand with the love of my life (who shattered my heart but I cannot un-love nor ignore as she tries to woo me back).

LaOs on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Born in Sweden, lived in Asia 'til I was 9 then moved to Sweden.

Present: Moving to London and studying at UCL.

Future: DOCTAH HEALS PEOPLE. (My friends never want to be treated by me D:)

Daxon on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Born in London, left the country six weeks later, for...

Present: University in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

Future: Hopefully, famous author. Also astronaut. Realistically.... realistic plans are for pussies.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Born in California, raised in Arizona.

Present: Living in California, waiting to move in with my friend in a month.

Future: Make music my full time job.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Options
    narvinyenarvinye Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Past: Born and raised in Daytona Beach, FL. Joined the Navy. Got out, went to Univeristy of Central Florida, did not finish, joined the Navy, went to Norfolk, VA.

Present: Working in Air Traffic Control in the Navy in Jacksonville, FL.

Future: Probably Norfolk, VA, or a small chance of Iraq.

Far Future: Retiring somewhere in western Montana (really, you have to specify), Idaho, Wyoming, etc...

narvinye on