As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EA releases C&C: Red Alert for free

• Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Rules.ini was great, although it only really started to shine in Red Alert 2 where you could add in new unit types instead of changing existing ones.

Man, the mod community for RA2 was amazing. Websites full of sprites and voxels for individual units and buildings, so you could just piece everything together yourself. None of this "everything is a total conversion that's never going to actually get released" bullshit that's so common nowadays.

Have they still got the rules.ini in the latest engine?

In a way it seems as if the RA series has actually built upon the tinkering that people decided to put in and try. It's like as the series progressed they thought "OK. the fanbase likes to mix it up with crazy stuff, what can we give them that's crazy?"

Sonic barking dogs? Underwater planes? Armoured bears?

Can you imagine the kind of weird super units you'd be able to mix up from that?

Generals (and other games on that engine, e.g. C&C3) has its INI files set up completely differently, but they're still there and still very expandable. They're just a little more complicated.

The problem is that around the time Generals came out, the C&C mod community went from "let's everybody make cool units and share them and just screw around and have fun" to "let's group into hateful cliques and make total conversions that never get released and keep everything secret and you can't use our stuff" type of Cartmanland syndrome. It was almost as bad as the Mugen community, really.

But then, I guess animated 3D models are harder to make than voxels, so I sort of understand why it happened. It just kinda sucks, that's all.

edit: holy shit, I just realized I still have several gigabytes of RA2 modding resources lying around on one of my computers.

Me too! Time to reinstall YR and go to town :D

Arrath on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arrath wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Rules.ini was great, although it only really started to shine in Red Alert 2 where you could add in new unit types instead of changing existing ones.

Man, the mod community for RA2 was amazing. Websites full of sprites and voxels for individual units and buildings, so you could just piece everything together yourself. None of this "everything is a total conversion that's never going to actually get released" bullshit that's so common nowadays.

Have they still got the rules.ini in the latest engine?

In a way it seems as if the RA series has actually built upon the tinkering that people decided to put in and try. It's like as the series progressed they thought "OK. the fanbase likes to mix it up with crazy stuff, what can we give them that's crazy?"

Sonic barking dogs? Underwater planes? Armoured bears?

Can you imagine the kind of weird super units you'd be able to mix up from that?

Generals (and other games on that engine, e.g. C&C3) has its INI files set up completely differently, but they're still there and still very expandable. They're just a little more complicated.

The problem is that around the time Generals came out, the C&C mod community went from "let's everybody make cool units and share them and just screw around and have fun" to "let's group into hateful cliques and make total conversions that never get released and keep everything secret and you can't use our stuff" type of Cartmanland syndrome. It was almost as bad as the Mugen community, really.

But then, I guess animated 3D models are harder to make than voxels, so I sort of understand why it happened. It just kinda sucks, that's all.

edit: holy shit, I just realized I still have several gigabytes of RA2 modding resources lying around on one of my computers.

Me too! Time to reinstall YR and go to town :D

If you're looking mind telling what's worth looking at? For both RAs if possible, since you seem to know a fair bit about this.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    http://xhp.xwis.net/

XCC mixer will let you open the archive files for Command and Conquer (1) to Yuri's Revenge. A text editor will let you muck will rules.ini, the heart of it all. Beyond that, look around for modding database sites that have lots and lots of stuff to download. Some tutorials may help too.

Files in the base directory (X\Westwood\Red Alert 2\) will run over files in the archives, so you can just extract the rules file there and edit as you please.

If you want to make sprites (Buildings, fire effects, infantry units, etc) you can use paint or whatever and XCC will compile them into the proper format for cnc (.shp) Voxels are the 3d models that TS and RA2 use, look for some kind of voxel editor. If I remember right OS SHP or Banshee something-or-other are good search terms for actual shp editors.

Arrath on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    psh. I have Warcraft 1 in the original packaging.

Same here. That had my favourite manual ever until I got Mechwarrior 2. All leathery and full of awesome backstory.

Kelor on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arrath wrote: »
    http://xhp.xwis.net/

XCC mixer will let you open the archive files for Command and Conquer (1) to Yuri's Revenge. A text editor will let you muck will rules.ini, the heart of it all. Beyond that, look around for modding database sites that have lots and lots of stuff to download. Some tutorials may help too.

Files in the base directory (X\Westwood\Red Alert 2\) will run over files in the archives, so you can just extract the rules file there and edit as you please.

If you want to make sprites (Buildings, fire effects, infantry units, etc) you can use paint or whatever and XCC will compile them into the proper format for cnc (.shp) Voxels are the 3d models that TS and RA2 use, look for some kind of voxel editor. If I remember right OS SHP or Banshee something-or-other are good search terms for actual shp editors.

Are you stuck using the original palette for Red Alert when making sprites or can you mix it up with a new (possibly updated) palette?

DualEdge on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You can make your own palette, they are located in the arcives like other things. Just note that palettes are shared across broad ranges of things (one factions units, one faction's buildings in snowy environs, the cameo pictures on the command bar, etc, all share palettes across themselves) So you can't have every unit have its own distinct palette.

Arrath on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Holy shit, you can actually play it on XP now, and its FREE?!?

Im gonna be V2 Rocketing bitches all day

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Unable to exec 'D:\INSTALL\_SETUP.EXE': DOS memory range unavailable

Frem on
  • Options
    HAKdragonHAKdragon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So... this does not want to run on my Vista 64 bit, even in windows 95 compatability mode. Any ideas on how to fix the installer?

I believe it's because the installer is a 16-bit app. Vista x64 won't run 16-bit applications.

HAKdragon on
    hakdragon.png
  • Options
    plehpleh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can't get it to install in vista x64, but probably because I'm retarded and missing something obvious. Oh well. :|

pleh on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    HAKdragon wrote: »
    So... this does not want to run on my Vista 64 bit, even in windows 95 compatability mode. Any ideas on how to fix the installer?

I believe it's because the installer is a 16-bit app. Vista x64 won't run 16-bit applications.

This is true. I installed it using dosbox but it won't launch outside of dosbox >.> I know I probably did something stupid. I also tried using the windows virtual machine but I couldn't figure out how to work it.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Can someone give me a reason why I should try this? :P

Einstein building a time machine to go back in time and kill Hitler, causing the soviets to become the dominant super power? Giant tesla coils that fry infantry units with massive jolts of electricity? Tanya. Not to mention it's fucking FREE. I can't think of a good reason not to play it.

If you hate fun. That's a reason not to play it.

Also, Hi5 to you Al Baron and the Rocko's Modern Life sig.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What's the fastest, easiest way to get this up and running? I tried using a virtual drive but it won't mount the .iso for whatever reason. Am I making this harder than it is?

EDIT: I think I was just using a bad virtual drive. Gonna try with DAEMON tools and see what happens

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Okay, so I can mount and run the .iso, but I don't know how to in Windows 95 mode? (using XP)

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Here's what I did to get it running under Vista x64:

1. Install Red Alert in a Virtual Machine. I used VirtualPC, but Bochs, VMware Server/Player, etc should work. If your VM is running XP, make sure to change compatibility mode for <CDROM DRIVE>:\SETUP95\SETUP.EXE to Windows 95.
    2. Apply the Windows XP patch that was included with the ISOs. Make sure this is in the C:\Westwood\Redalert directory before running it.
    3. Grab the install and get it to your Vista system. I just shared C:\Westwood and pulled it over the network.
    4. Now they you have the installed files, make sure C:\Westwood\RedAlert\RA95.exe is set for Windows 95 compatibilty mode and fire it up.

I've had a couple of graphical glitches, mostly palette related, I think, but it does work.

Note: In case it's not clear, steps 1 and 2 happen inside the VM.

HAKdragon on
    hakdragon.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I didn't get any SETUP.EXE files or anything. Just two .iso files in separate folders.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I didn't get any SETUP.EXE files or anything. Just two .iso files in separate folders.

These are disc images that you need to either burn to CD using a program such as Nero (I prefer ISO recorder because it's pretty small and easy to use) or you need to mount them using something like Daemon's Tools.

HAKdragon on
    hakdragon.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yes, as I explained before I did mount them to a virtual drive (DAEMON tools). But when I attempt to run the .iso, it tells me that it needs to be run under Win95, not XP. So how do I solve this problem?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

To install the game in XP, follow these steps:
    Insert the Red Alert disk into the CD-ROM drive AKA mount the ISO on your virtual drive. (Close the installation window that appears if Autoplay is turned on.)
    Click the Start button on the Windows Taskbar.
    Select My Computer.
    Right-click the CD-ROM Drive with the game in it and select Explore.
    Double-click the Setup95 folder.
    Right-click the install.exe file and select Send to.... Select Desktop from the drop-down menu. (This will create a shortcut on the Desktop.)
    Right-click the shortcut and select Properties.
    Click the Compatibility tab.
    Check the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
    Select Windows 95 in the drop-down window below.
    Click Apply, then OK.
    Double-click the shortcut to install the game.

To patch the game goto the XP_Patch folder that should have been created when you extracted everything from the RAR file. There should be a file named RA108USP.EXE there. Copy it to the Red Alert installation directory. (By default, this is located at C:\Westwood\RedAlert)
    Double-click the patch to run the patch file. This will create three more files: Patch.exe, Patch.rtp, and Patch.txt.
    Double-click the Patch.exe file to initiate the update process.

Finally, right-click RA95.EXE and set its compatibility mode to Windows 95 as well. This is the file you use to play the game, RUNGAME.EXE and RA.EXE will start the DOS version which might run but likely won't have any sound. If you wanna try that version I'd run it in DOSbox.

TalonSE on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Pfft, instructions.

Thanks.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yes, as I explained before I did mount them to a virtual drive (DAEMON tools). But when I attempt to run the .iso, it tells me that it needs to be run under Win95, not XP. So how do I solve this problem?

Reading comprehension for the lose...

HAKdragon on
    hakdragon.png
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can't download the soviet disc, all three mirrors take me to a blank page and 'right click > save as' gives me an empty .rar

anyone else having this problem? Allied disc DLed just fine

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's weird, I just tried it and the Soviet disc is downloading from the North American site just fine. Try again?

TalonSE on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    still got nothing, surprisingly switching to IE gave the same result

edit: couldn't find a fix but Fileshack seems to be hosting the files, which worked for me. Here's a link if anyone else runs into the same problem

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54508

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Red Alert for free!?!?

YES!

rayofash on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I would jump at this, but a few years ago i already bought The First Decade.
    Didn't they release the original CnC for free when Tib Wars came out?

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Neither of them include the expansion packs, do they?

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    First Decade includes EVERYTHING but Sole Survivor.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    First Decade includes EVERYTHING but Sole Survivor.

Also C&C 3 too, but that's fair because First Decade came out before C&C 3.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I can imagine a "Second Decade" pack including CnC3, Ra3 and Generals 2

Idoliside on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Welp, time for me to get all my infantry run over by one tank again.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »
    I can imagine a "Second Decade" pack including CnC3, Ra3 and Generals 2

I think by 2010/11 we'll be looking at C&C4 on the horizon, with RA3 and Generals 2 already out, so this is likely. Collection could also include "Tiberium", the shooter/renegade spiritual sequel that's due out next year.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had no idea RA3 was this close to release -- it's nice to be pleasantly surprised sometimes :) I heard rumors a long time ago it's done by the people who did the original RA or RA2 or something?

I'm just hoping their online multiplayer support is better than RA2. That basically killed RA2 for most people I think. Taking 3-5mins to load a 2v2 game and having one of the players dropped 75% of the time was aggravating to no end.

JediNight on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    JediNight wrote: »
    I had no idea RA3 was this close to release -- it's nice to be pleasantly surprised sometimes :) I heard rumors a long time ago it's done by the people who did the original RA or RA2 or something?

I'm just hoping their online multiplayer support is better than RA2. That basically killed RA2 for most people I think. Taking 3-5mins to load a 2v2 game and having one of the players dropped 75% of the time was aggravating to no end.

If its anything like Cnc3, it should be fine.

Idoliside on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JediNight wrote: »

Generals and C&C3 had all this fixed, and this is the same engine and online setup as those games.

As far as the team goes, when EA shut down Westwood, a vast majority of the Westwood staff and certainly all the higher up directors and producers of the old C&C games went over to EALA. While Generals was a (quite deliberate) departure from the series lore, C&C3 and RA3 are both very close to what the old series was, with many of the same staff.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I loved RA2 to death, but yeah the multiplayer bugs killed wanting to play it online. Then I hear the Yuri expansion was bad too.

My only bone with the gameplay was Dolphins were hax. Even after the so-called Dolphin nerf, the Soviets were still at a disadvantage to keeping their sea operations up.

Rising Sun faction for RA3 looks pretty cheesy IMHO -- how did they get such futuristic tech and nobody in the rest of the world knew about it? Or I guess thats part of the time-travel fuckup plot?

JediNight on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Links don't work for me. What I save is a few kilobytes big, and blank page when I actually click on the links.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Links don't work for me. What I save is a few kilobytes big, and blank page when I actually click on the links.

same thing happened to me, I got em here

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54508

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It amazes me that for someone who never played this before, I'm still really enjoying it. I might even pick up The First Decade so I can catch up on the storyline and play C&C3 and RA3.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What is a good image mounter to use this on. Ive never used one.

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D