As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spore and the "3-installs" thing

AizawaAizawa Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
Okay, so I go to the gamefaqs spore forums today, thinking that people will be speaking warmly about it and being happy it's released this week. But no, instead people are talking about the "3 installs" thing. Personally, I reformat (is that what it's called?) my pc multiple times a month. Mostly because I'm trying out different linux distrobutions together with reinstalling windows beside it. Anyway, how could they possibly think this was a good idea? And HOW does this prevent piracy? I mean, yeah, making it check with the internet and stuff.. Well, I can accept that. But not being able to install it more than 3 times, when I've even pre-ordered it?

I heard this was apparently the same with Mass Effect. Is it true that you "regain" an installation by properly uninstalling it? Does these "3 installs" by any chance mean that I can make 3 spore accounts, or something?

Because I'm starting to feel pretty ripped off. Oh well, it is EA.. We all know how they roll, I guess.

Druid
1801011.png
Please, excuse any socially awkward actions taken by me. I have autism.
Aizawa on
«134

Posts

  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aizawa wrote: »
    Okay, so I go to the gamefaqs spore forums today, thinking that people will be speaking warmly about it and being happy it's released this week. But no, instead people are talking about the "3 installs" thing. Personally, I reformat (is that what it's called?) my pc multiple times a month. Mostly because I'm trying out different linux distrobutions together with reinstalling windows beside it. Anyway, how could they possibly think this was a good idea? And HOW does this prevent piracy? I mean, yeah, making it check with the internet and stuff.. Well, I can accept that. But not being able to install it more than 3 times, when I've even pre-ordered it?

    I heard this was apparently the same with Mass Effect. Is it true that you "regain" an installation by properly uninstalling it? Does these "3 installs" by any chance mean that I can make 3 spore accounts, or something?

    Because I'm starting to feel pretty ripped off. Oh well, it is EA.. We all know how they roll, I guess.

    Just understand that the average person doesn't reinstall (a) their operating system and (b) every piece of software they installed previously "three times a month."

    Game developers and publishers will never (never ever) be able to accommodate all PC users universally because all PC users are not universal. It is a wholly different product than a game console which has a standard makeup and has standardized usage.

    I don't like the 3 installs thing. I think it is absolutely stupid. But at the same time, I don't think you have much clout considering your personal situation. If someone told me your story and I was publishing a game, I'd say "tough luck" to that person because, be honest, you sit on the extreme outskirts of PC use.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    FUCK, SPORE IS OUT THIS WEEK?


    FFFFUCK.

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it supposed to be on 3 different computers or is it 3 instals for only one computer ever? I think you are overreacting at this as people tend to do. Im sure that if you somehow ran out of installs you could contact customer service and they will reinstate them if you explain your situation fully.

    Bedlam on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    FUCK, SPORE IS OUT THIS WEEK?


    FFFFUCK.
    next week tuesday actually.

    Bedlam on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So is it just like Mass Effect for PC? Because that's not really a big deal at all.

    Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AizawaAizawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    But seriously, even the average user reinstalls their PC every now and then, and if they don't, they buy new computers! I don't see how 3 installs can keep pirates away from it, I only see how it can bring more money to EA's pockets..

    You should NOT need to buy your games again, in my opinion.

    EDIT: This was a response to Drez.

    And Heir, how is it not a big deal? What do you mean?

    Aizawa on
    Druid
    1801011.png
    Please, excuse any socially awkward actions taken by me. I have autism.
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aizawa wrote: »
    You should NOT need to buy your games again, in my opinion.
    You wont have to if you are capable of thinking like a rational human being instead of a nerdrage .... person.

    Bedlam on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aizawa wrote: »
    But seriously, even the average user reinstalls their PC every now and then, and if they don't, they buy new computers! I don't see how 3 installs can keep pirates away from it, I only see how it can bring more money to EA's pockets..

    You should NOT need to buy your games again, in my opinion.

    The goal is not to keep the pirates away. The goal is to postpone the pirates in order to generate high initial sales at release. Also, most copy-protections get removed by a patch after awhile.

    Cinders on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    But no, instead people are talking about the "3 installs" thing. Personally, I reformat (is that what it's called?) my pc multiple times a month. Mostly because I'm trying out different linux distrobutions together with reinstalling windows beside it. Anyway, how could they possibly think this was a good idea? And HOW does this prevent piracy? I mean, yeah, making it check with the internet and stuff.. Well, I can accept that. But not being able to install it more than 3 times, when I've even pre-ordered it?

    I totally agree. I mean, I throw my PC out the window every Thursday, just to test how sturdy my case is. And when it breaks, I get gipped out of one installation!

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Just get a crack once you've installed it. Seriously, I don't bother with all this CD in the drive crap, I never have, not since Deus Ex. It won't really matter unless you install more than 3 times but allowing them to control your product is not acceptable and the anti-piracy stuff just affects those of us who drop hard cash on the stuff with little resale value because of the aformentioned, unstable anti-piracy methods.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    AizawaAizawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Aizawa wrote: »
    You should NOT need to buy your games again, in my opinion.
    You wont have to if you are capable of thinking like a rational human being instead of a nerdrage .... person.

    What the heck is this supposed to mean? Nerdrage?

    I simply don't understand how anyone can think that it's okay to only get to install your game 3 times. I mean, when I buy a game I want to OWN that game. Now it feels as though I'm renting it. It's just my opinion, please, no negative comments like that when I'm only trying to discuss this.

    Aizawa on
    Druid
    1801011.png
    Please, excuse any socially awkward actions taken by me. I have autism.
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not going to get into the discussion but I would just like to point out that even if you managed to use up all 3 installs you can call EA to reclaim them so you would never have to buy it again.

    Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pretty sure that would mess with getting user created content off the net. At least i think they were saying something along those lines.

    Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aizawa wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Aizawa wrote: »
    You should NOT need to buy your games again, in my opinion.
    You wont have to if you are capable of thinking like a rational human being instead of a nerdrage .... person.

    What the heck is this supposed to mean? Nerdrage?

    I simply don't understand how anyone can think that it's okay to only get to install your game 3 times. I mean, when I buy a game I want to OWN that game. Now it feels as though I'm renting it. It's just my opinion, please, no negative comments like that when I'm only trying to discuss this.

    You don't read the user agreements when you install things, do you?

    Cinders on
  • Options
    AizawaAizawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rakai, I saw that too, now. This is good, but I still think it's weird that you have to contact the support the be able to install your game as many times as you want.

    Aizawa on
    Druid
    1801011.png
    Please, excuse any socially awkward actions taken by me. I have autism.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aizawa wrote: »
    But seriously, even the average user reinstalls their PC every now and then, and if they don't, they buy new computers! I don't see how 3 installs can keep pirates away from it, I only see how it can bring more money to EA's pockets..

    You should NOT need to buy your games again, in my opinion.

    EDIT: This was a response to Drez.

    And Heir, how is it not a big deal? What do you mean?

    Then that should be your argument.

    Your personal story about how you reinstall everything three or four times a month is not only irrelevant, it actually hurts your case. Because publishers do not have to accommodate EVERY TYPE OF PC USER. If you want to argue that people should not be limited by number of installs regardless of what type of PC user they are, then do that.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AizawaAizawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cinders wrote: »
    You don't read the user agreements when you install things, do you?


    Going to be honest with you, to some extent I don't understand what you mean. In any rate, when you buy any other game, you can install it as many times as you want. I mean, what's the problem with doing it like Valve, registering it once? That way you still feel that you own the game you bought.

    Aizawa on
    Druid
    1801011.png
    Please, excuse any socially awkward actions taken by me. I have autism.
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Woah, I had no idea Spore was coming out so soon too. People have been talking about it for so long I eventually started to ignore it all.

    I'll probably just wait for the version of Spore 2 that comes with five of it's fifteen expansions, but it's nice to know that an interesting game is coming out so soon.

    Darlan on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aizawa wrote: »
    Okay, so I go to the gamefaqs spore forums today, thinking that people will be speaking warmly about it and being happy it's released this week. But no, instead people are talking about the "3 installs" thing. Personally, I reformat (is that what it's called?) my pc multiple times a month. Mostly because I'm trying out different linux distrobutions together with reinstalling windows beside it. Anyway, how could they possibly think this was a good idea? And HOW does this prevent piracy? I mean, yeah, making it check with the internet and stuff.. Well, I can accept that. But not being able to install it more than 3 times, when I've even pre-ordered it?

    I heard this was apparently the same with Mass Effect. Is it true that you "regain" an installation by properly uninstalling it? Does these "3 installs" by any chance mean that I can make 3 spore accounts, or something?

    Because I'm starting to feel pretty ripped off. Oh well, it is EA.. We all know how they roll, I guess.

    If it's anything like Mass Effect (which I'm assured it is)

    It's not based on installs but activations. Activations are tied to hardware (I think outside of a major upgrade - e.g. mobo+cpu then small upgrades like HDD/Videocard don't affect it). It still sucks horrendously, especially for a game that might have a 5 year lifespan, and you can phone up EA to explain if you run out of automated installs.

    Rook on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok ok, I think there are some misconceptions. Unless I'm totally off base, you can only install the game on 3 different machines. After that, you will have to call EA and get them to unlock it for you.

    It's not like it can only be installed three time, and then the game bursts into flames.

    Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Darlan wrote: »
    Woah, I had no idea Spore was coming out so soon too. People have been talking about it for so long I eventually started to ignore it all.

    I'll probably just wait for the version of Spore 2 that comes with five of it's fifteen expansions, but it's nice to know that an interesting game is coming out so soon.


    Spore: Open for Sporeness
    Spore: Sporepartment Life
    Spore: Bon Sporeyage!
    Spore: Nightlife

    and of course

    Spore: The College Years

    all available in Spore: Super Deluxe Complete Collection (vol. 1)!

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AizawaAizawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hm, Rook, this might be a stupid question, but do you mean that I can reinstall it with the same hardware for "free"?

    Aizawa on
    Druid
    1801011.png
    Please, excuse any socially awkward actions taken by me. I have autism.
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I thought they were going to pull that off the game after it pissed people off previously. That's too bad, I was looking forward to this game, guess I'll have to wait until they fix it.

    kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    interceptintercept Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Aizawa wrote: »
    But seriously, even the average user reinstalls their PC every now and then, and if they don't, they buy new computers! I don't see how 3 installs can keep pirates away from it, I only see how it can bring more money to EA's pockets..

    You should NOT need to buy your games again, in my opinion.

    EDIT: This was a response to Drez.

    And Heir, how is it not a big deal? What do you mean?

    Then that should be your argument.

    Your personal story about how you reinstall everything three or four times a month is not only irrelevant, it actually hurts your case. Because publishers do not have to accommodate EVERY TYPE OF PC USER. If you want to argue that people should not be limited by number of installs regardless of what type of PC user they are, then do that.

    Question is, how are they accommodating as many PC users as possible by using an install cap? All it does is piss people off because you need to call the company to say you've upgraded your computer and want to install the game again.

    Also, what is the main reason that people use no CD cracks? It's not piracy, although that happens. It's because people don't want to find their CD every time they want to run the game. I use to use a crack for my copy of War3 because I didn't want to keep putting the CD in and out and in and out whenever I felt like playing DotA, because most of the time the drive would be occupied from something I brought home to work on.

    intercept on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aizawa wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Aizawa wrote: »
    You should NOT need to buy your games again, in my opinion.
    You wont have to if you are capable of thinking like a rational human being instead of a nerdrage .... person.

    What the heck is this supposed to mean? Nerdrage?

    I simply don't understand how anyone can think that it's okay to only get to install your game 3 times. I mean, when I buy a game I want to OWN that game. Now it feels as though I'm renting it. It's just my opinion, please, no negative comments like that when I'm only trying to discuss this.
    Well while you are complaining about this please hate on Penny Arcade as their game has the exact same system.

    Bedlam on
  • Options
    AizawaAizawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Very, very true, agoaj. Thanks a lot!

    Aizawa on
    Druid
    1801011.png
    Please, excuse any socially awkward actions taken by me. I have autism.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Something tells me that for pirates this 3 install thing is not going to be a problem. :(

    Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    prismeclipserprismeclipser Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know, I really can't help but see people who are saying we should suck up the three install thing are very short sighted. What if I want to play the game in five years? I, personally, have gone through four computers in the past five years. This isn't counting upgrading my computer, or dealing with Vista / downgrading to XP.

    And you are saying that they may patch out the install thing in the future. I'd like to remind those people we are dealing with EA, and perhaps EA is changing their image, but that doesn't take away the fact that they have in the past been known to tell the end user to fuck off.

    The only positive thing and the only reason I am purchasing the game anyways is because I know the pirates will crack it so if EA tells me to fuck off, well, at least I have other options.

    prismeclipser on
  • Options
    AizawaAizawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, no, Axen, which is why I think it's so silly.

    Edit: Agreed, prismeclipser.

    Aizawa on
    Druid
    1801011.png
    Please, excuse any socially awkward actions taken by me. I have autism.
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aizawa wrote: »
    Hm, Rook, this might be a stupid question, but do you mean that I can reinstall it with the same hardware for "free"?

    Yes, as far as has been explained by EA.

    Rook on
  • Options
    AizawaAizawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, still. This IS getting better and better, though I'd still prefer infinite installations and no anti-piracy programs or whatever you wish to call it.

    Aizawa on
    Druid
    1801011.png
    Please, excuse any socially awkward actions taken by me. I have autism.
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pretty sure you can call tech support and get them to 'free up' some of your installs if you really need them to. I believe that's what they did for Bioshock when it still had this type of protection.

    P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, when it "still had" that kind of protection.

    I have a feeling that the 3-install limit will be removed from Spore eventually.

    DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    intercept wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Aizawa wrote: »
    But seriously, even the average user reinstalls their PC every now and then, and if they don't, they buy new computers! I don't see how 3 installs can keep pirates away from it, I only see how it can bring more money to EA's pockets..

    You should NOT need to buy your games again, in my opinion.

    EDIT: This was a response to Drez.

    And Heir, how is it not a big deal? What do you mean?

    Then that should be your argument.

    Your personal story about how you reinstall everything three or four times a month is not only irrelevant, it actually hurts your case. Because publishers do not have to accommodate EVERY TYPE OF PC USER. If you want to argue that people should not be limited by number of installs regardless of what type of PC user they are, then do that.

    Question is, how are they accommodating as many PC users as possible by using an install cap? All it does is piss people off because you need to call the company to say you've upgraded your computer and want to install the game again.

    Also, what is the main reason that people use no CD cracks? It's not piracy, although that happens. It's because people don't want to find their CD every time they want to run the game. I use to use a crack for my copy of War3 because I didn't want to keep putting the CD in and out and in and out whenever I felt like playing DotA, because most of the time the drive would be occupied from something I brought home to work on.

    "Pissing you off" has nothing to do with accommodating you or not accommodating you insofar as delivering their product to you is concerned and that's really all they are required to be concerned with.

    Most PC users - and when I say "most" I mean "the overwhelming majority of" - won't ever need to exceed the three uses.

    I disagree with the practice and I disagree that it actually brings any tangible anti-piracy benefits to the company, but regardless of that, the three installs thing does not actually affect most PC users. It may "bother" most PC users, but it's usually a purely idealistic gripe.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    interceptintercept Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    intercept wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Aizawa wrote: »
    But seriously, even the average user reinstalls their PC every now and then, and if they don't, they buy new computers! I don't see how 3 installs can keep pirates away from it, I only see how it can bring more money to EA's pockets..

    You should NOT need to buy your games again, in my opinion.

    EDIT: This was a response to Drez.

    And Heir, how is it not a big deal? What do you mean?

    Then that should be your argument.

    Your personal story about how you reinstall everything three or four times a month is not only irrelevant, it actually hurts your case. Because publishers do not have to accommodate EVERY TYPE OF PC USER. If you want to argue that people should not be limited by number of installs regardless of what type of PC user they are, then do that.

    Question is, how are they accommodating as many PC users as possible by using an install cap? All it does is piss people off because you need to call the company to say you've upgraded your computer and want to install the game again.

    Also, what is the main reason that people use no CD cracks? It's not piracy, although that happens. It's because people don't want to find their CD every time they want to run the game. I use to use a crack for my copy of War3 because I didn't want to keep putting the CD in and out and in and out whenever I felt like playing DotA, because most of the time the drive would be occupied from something I brought home to work on.

    "Pissing you off" has nothing to do with accommodating you or not accommodating you insofar as delivering their product to you is concerned and that's really all they are required to be concerned with.

    Most PC users - and when I say "most" I mean "the overwhelming majority of" - won't ever need to exceed the three uses.

    I disagree with the practice and I disagree that it actually brings any tangible anti-piracy benefits to the company, but regardless of that, the three installs thing does not actually affect most PC users. It may "bother" most PC users, but it's usually a purely idealistic gripe.

    But this is what I'm saying. You're citing "most PC users" as a justification they use for the install caps, but the thing is, it would be exactly the same for those same PC users if there WASN'T an install cap.

    There is only a downside, which is pissing off a vocal minority of players... Who wouldn't be pissed off in the first place if there wasn't an install cap to begin with. Then ALL PC users would be happy.

    We obviously agree that the policy is stupid, but I'm saying your explanation of their justification is very silly.

    intercept on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know, I really can't help but see people who are saying we should suck up the three install thing are very short sighted. What if I want to play the game in five years? I, personally, have gone through four computers in the past five years. This isn't counting upgrading my computer, or dealing with Vista / downgrading to XP.

    And you are saying that they may patch out the install thing in the future. I'd like to remind those people we are dealing with EA, and perhaps EA is changing their image, but that doesn't take away the fact that they have in the past been known to tell the end user to fuck off.

    The only positive thing and the only reason I am purchasing the game anyways is because I know the pirates will crack it so if EA tells me to fuck off, well, at least I have other options.

    And I cannot help but see that the complainers here (and in every thread of this nature) bring nothing but ill-constructed, incorrect, and irrelevant postulates to the debate that do nothing but make them look like whiners.

    Because reality has proven time and time again that this is never an issue. Five or ten or twenty years down the line the game will work. I have games from twenty years ago that work, and those games also had copy protection. The companies often provide some kind of patch and if they don't someone else will.

    Nothing presented proves why costumers should be given unlimited installs because it is an ideological argument not one that has any practical application. We've had this system for various games for many, many years now and I've never heard one testimonial - either on Penny-Arcade or anywhere else - where someone has stated that Suchandsuch Incorporated permanently blocked them from using the product they bought. I have NEVER heard this and I don't think any of you have either.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well let's say I install Spore on my PC, but my sister thinks it looks cool and wants to put it on the family PC which che uses. Will we both be able to play and connect to the Spore server thingummy at once, assuming we make different Spore accounts?

    Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    intercept wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    intercept wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Aizawa wrote: »
    But seriously, even the average user reinstalls their PC every now and then, and if they don't, they buy new computers! I don't see how 3 installs can keep pirates away from it, I only see how it can bring more money to EA's pockets..

    You should NOT need to buy your games again, in my opinion.

    EDIT: This was a response to Drez.

    And Heir, how is it not a big deal? What do you mean?

    Then that should be your argument.

    Your personal story about how you reinstall everything three or four times a month is not only irrelevant, it actually hurts your case. Because publishers do not have to accommodate EVERY TYPE OF PC USER. If you want to argue that people should not be limited by number of installs regardless of what type of PC user they are, then do that.

    Question is, how are they accommodating as many PC users as possible by using an install cap? All it does is piss people off because you need to call the company to say you've upgraded your computer and want to install the game again.

    Also, what is the main reason that people use no CD cracks? It's not piracy, although that happens. It's because people don't want to find their CD every time they want to run the game. I use to use a crack for my copy of War3 because I didn't want to keep putting the CD in and out and in and out whenever I felt like playing DotA, because most of the time the drive would be occupied from something I brought home to work on.

    "Pissing you off" has nothing to do with accommodating you or not accommodating you insofar as delivering their product to you is concerned and that's really all they are required to be concerned with.

    Most PC users - and when I say "most" I mean "the overwhelming majority of" - won't ever need to exceed the three uses.

    I disagree with the practice and I disagree that it actually brings any tangible anti-piracy benefits to the company, but regardless of that, the three installs thing does not actually affect most PC users. It may "bother" most PC users, but it's usually a purely idealistic gripe.

    But this is what I'm saying. You're citing "most PC users" as a justification they use for the install caps, but the thing is, it would be exactly the same for those same PC users if there WASN'T an install cap.

    There is only a downside, which is pissing off a vocal minority of players... Who wouldn't be pissed off in the first place if there wasn't an install cap to begin with. Then ALL PC users would be happy.

    We obviously agree that the policy is stupid, but I'm saying your explanation of their justification is very silly.

    There is only a downside to you. There is an upside to EA: copy protection. Or so they believe. I'm not going to debate its effectiveness here because neither you nor I nor possibly even EA can specify how effective it is. So the safe bet here is to assume that EA is actually enforcing this for a practical reason. They have to accommodate their own business as well, and so limited installs is still accommodating for the majority involved in the publisher-to-consumer business arrangement.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    intercept wrote: »
    Also, what is the main reason that people use no CD cracks? It's not piracy, although that happens. It's because people don't want to find their CD every time they want to run the game. I use to use a crack for my copy of War3 because I didn't want to keep putting the CD in and out and in and out whenever I felt like playing DotA, because most of the time the drive would be occupied from something I brought home to work on.

    Not to do with spore but Blizzard's latest patch removes the CD requirement. For Warcraft 3 and Starcraft and Diablo. You just have to copy over some files from the CD, guess it loads those off the CD.

    Jutranjo on
This discussion has been closed.