As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spore and the "3-installs" thing

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Has there been any news of Spore being released on Steam? Cause that would be fucking awesome.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Doubtful since EA has their own online distribution system.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    In fact, the incessant barrage of complaint every single time a company does this has almost reversed my position to the point where I hope companies limit it to one install and make people call afterward because jesus christ people will bitch about absolutely nothing until the end of days.

So you'd gladly pay 50 euro for something that will allow you to do a 1 time copy of files on it and then turn into smoke?

That depends. Would these files have someone's dossier on them, and would they specify the objectives for a covert operation to protect/assassinate/kidnap say person? And can I say "go, go, Gadget rollerskates"? You know, before the files "go up in smoke"?

Gadget rollerskates are only in the collectors edition. That also blows up in your hands as soon as you pass the cashier at the store.

The files go up in smokes if you plan to adheer to the 1 install DRM system.

The funny thing is that with this kind of DRM you pay for an inferior product, while anyone who would pirate it has a better product.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In fact, the incessant barrage of complaint every single time a company does this has almost reversed my position to the point where I hope companies limit it to one install and make people call afterward because jesus christ people will bitch about absolutely nothing until the end of days.

So you'd gladly pay 50 euro for something that will allow you to do a 1 time copy of files on it and then turn into smoke?

That depends. Would these files have someone's dossier on them, and would they specify the objectives for a covert operation to protect/assassinate/kidnap say person? And can I say "go, go, Gadget rollerskates"? You know, before the files "go up in smoke"?

Gadget rollerskates are only in the collectors edition. That also blows up in your hands as soon as you pass the cashier at the store.

The funny thing is that with this kind of DRM you pay for an inferior product, while anyone who would pirate it has a better product.

And you arrive at that funny conclusion how?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know, I think my least favorite issue brought up is "I shouldn't have to re-buy the game". Because it's always followed by "You don't have to, and if you thought for a second you'd notice that", which has the response "Well it's still bullshit to have to USE A PHONE to use a LICENSE OF A PRODUCT I BOUGHT!"

Like it's the same thing.

You know what? Using a phone isn't the same thing as having to spend another $60. Please people, if you're complaining about having to make a phone call, don't start by pretending you have to spend $60 again because you exceeded the normal use.

Khavall on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Not everyone lives in America and wants to make international calls to play games they bought.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

And you arrive at that funny conclusion how?

They can re-install it as many times as they like without using a phone.

EDIT: To above, I'm sure they'll have local/toll-free numbers to call for non-Americans.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FUCK, SPORE IS OUT THIS WEEK?

FFFFUCK.

Yeah, I was reading an article saying that they had pulled back on the stuff they were releasing because they thought they were being overhyped.

Now let's hope it didn't backfire on them.

Peronsally I plan on picking up a copy, 3 installs or no. I don't feel like I uninstall/reinstall often enough for it to be a problem.

Skexis on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This discussion comes up every month and it gets dumber and dumber every time. I would like anyone that buys Spore to report back and tell us how they got fucked over.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Cyrixd wrote: »

EDIT: To above, I'm sure they'll have local/toll-free numbers to call for non-Americans.

And it's still not fucking as bad as having to re-buy the game.

Which was the point all along.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Report back in a few years when all these systems have gone offline due to companies going out of business, cost cutting, or lack of maintenance and none of your old games work.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Report back in a few years when all these systems have gone offline due to companies going out of business, cost cutting, or lack of maintenance and none of your old games work.

When does that ever happen? Besides MMOs, of course.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Oh hey it's the second dumbest response to these threads.

Name me 3 single player games that have had a DRM scheme similar to this, have had the companies servers go offline, and had no patch to break the DRM.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

That's right folks, the new Will Wright title being published by Electronic Arts is going to have its servers taken off-line in a few years because no one plays it any more and EA has gone out of business.

You heard it here first.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Name me 3 single player games that have had a DRM scheme similar to this, have had the companies servers go offline, and had no patch to break the DRM.

Yeah, if this were ever to happen the company would simply release a patch before closing their doors. If that doesn't work, you could legally use one of the cracks released back when the game came out because at that point it would be considered abandonware.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

That's right folks, the new Will Wright title being published by Electronic Arts is going to have its servers taken off-line in a few years because no one plays it any more and EA has gone out of business.

You heard it here first.

Not only that, but Will Wright is just a money-grubbing whore who really, I mean, hasn't contributed anything to gaming, and is the sort of person who won't release a patch to fix the DRM when Electronic fucking Arts goes out of business.

Khavall on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yeah, I guess you're right. EA is one of those small-time producers, and Maxis? They won't be around much longer...

As Khavall has been saying, this system in no way interferes with ones ability to play the game that they purchased for. Sure, it is a hassle if you actually need to install on more than 3 machines, but it's just like a lot of other laws that are created to prohibit a certain, minority behavior. It adds a slight inconveinence to those who are law-abiding, while hopefully detering those who are law-violating. (If it actually accomplishes this is another discussion).

Bottom line, I'll be able to play Spore, I'll be able to re-install it as many times as I like (which may require a phone call or two), so I'm not going to complain.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    This is a new method of DRM for games.

Lets take a look at music, where its been going on for a while.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/25/yahoo-music-store-taking-drm-servers-offline-freezing-out-cust/
    - Oh look, Yahoo going offline, no more activation for stuff you bought

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/23/microsoft-turns-the-drm-screw-on-msn-music-owners/
    - Microsoft decides that you don't really need to keep what you paid for

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/30/so-long-atrac-thanks-for-nothing/
    - Sony - Same deal

BUT THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN WITH EA!

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Because digital music services are completely analogous to a physically-distributed computer game.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    meatflower wrote: »

Yeah, if this were ever to happen the company would simply release a patch before closing their doors. If that doesn't work, you could legally use one of the cracks released back when the game came out because at that point it would be considered abandonware.

Abandonware is not legal.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Because digital music services are completely analogous to a physically-distributed computer game.

Yes, a system where you activate media over the internet is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to a system where you activate media over the internet.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Yes, a system where you activate media over the internet is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to a system where you activate media over the internet.

That's funny, I don't see anything here about requiring an Internet connection to play the game.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Good work, so you'll activate it with the power of your mind?

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It's called a grey area. If the company that makes a game is no longer in business, and no other company has taken up the license and actively producing the game, there is no one to enforce the copyright. It's legal in the sense that nobody is going to try and sue you for copyright infringement, because no one has the right to.

So yes, it is legal.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Yes, using my superior reasoning skills and deductive logic, which if you possessed would have informed you that since the official Spore website does not list an active Internet connection as a requirement to play the game, the burden of proof is upon you to back up your claims with something a bit more substantial than "because I say so".

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It's called a grey area. If the company that makes a game is no longer in business, and no other company has taken up the license and actively producing the game, there is no one to enforce the copyright. It's legal in the sense that nobody is going to try sue you for "illegaly" downloading it.

That makes it functionally legal.

First off, you don't need to be doing anything with a license to be able to enforce its copyright. Second, copyrights don't just disapear into ether if/when a company goes bankrupt, or closes down. They are usually sold off or held. Third, "functionally" legal is not a legal term and inventing your own terms to win an argument makes no sense.

I can download anything I want via Tor, but that doesn't make it legal.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Yes, using my superior reasoning skills and deductive logic, which if you possessed would have informed you that since the official Spore website does not list an active Internet connection as a requirement to play the game, the burden of proof is upon you to back up your claims with something a bit more substantial than "because I say so".

You require an internet connection to activate the game. You need to activate the game to play the game. Hence, you require and internet connection to install the game. So unless you activate the game now, and never remove it from your hard drive ever, or get a new PC ever, or want to play it a new PC ever, at some point, down the track, you will need to activate it again.

Try to keep up.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It's called a grey area. If the company that makes a game is no longer in business, and no other company has taken up the license and actively producing the game, there is no one to enforce the copyright. It's legal in the sense that nobody is going to try sue you for "illegaly" downloading it.

That makes it functionally legal.

First off, you don't need to be doing anything with a license to be able to enforce its copyright. Second, copyrights don't just disapear into ether if/when a company goes bankrupt, or closes down. They are usually sold off or held. Third, "functionally" legal is not a legal term and inventing your own terms to win an argument makes no sense.

I can download anything I want via Tor, but that doesn't make it legal.

It doesn't matter what terms he uses. He is being pragmatic. There will never be a point where you will be unable to play a game you own, assuming your newfangled PC can support the older stuff and legality is pretty much a nonissue and will continue to be a nonissue.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well I guess in that case whoever the license is sold off to or held by will take care of the activation.

What exactly is your fucking point? My point is that NO MATTER what happens to EA/Maxis, you will be able to install this game as many times as you want. Who really cares if its legal or not, if you bought the game and then company went out of business and you were left with an unusable product, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone giving you crap for it.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

You require an internet connection to activate the game. You need to activate the game to play the game. Hence, you require and internet connection to install the game. So unless you activate the game now, and never remove it from your hard drive ever, or get a new PC ever, or want to play it a new PC ever, at some point, down the track, you will need to activate it again.

Try to keep up.

You must have missed the link I provided listing Spore's required specs to run, which did not include an active Internet connection to activate the game. Since other games that have been published by EA have included this on their list of system requirements (Half-Life 2, for example) your claims that you cannot play the game without first activating it via the Internet must be substantiated.

Or are you just going to repeat the same thing you said to me for the third time now, despite the fact that your claims are the ones that are unsubstantiated.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well I guess in that case whoever the license is sold off to or held by will take care of the activation.

What exactly is your fucking point? My point is that NO MATTER what happens to EA/Maxis, you will be able to install this game as many times as you want. Who really cares if its legal or not, if you bought the game and then company went out of business and you were left with an unusable product, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone giving you crap for it.

What this entire thread boils down to - and always boils down to every time this topic comes up - is that people like to eschew reality and history so they can wharrgarbl ad infinitum about their ideal rights as consumers and blah blah blah. It's pragmatism versus idealism.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    His whole arguement is based on if EA and Maxis disappear very very suddenly, and the time between now and when EA ends they didn't patch the game. Not only that, but the huge Spore user base would also have to disappear suddenly without making a fanpatch/fix.

Neva on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    This is why I don't give a shit about this stupid argument anymore:

http://www.simprograms.com/?p=692

That blogger? He's a lunatic. And anyone that makes a devil face gif of some corporate dude they don't like is a double-lunatic. And maybe he's an extreme case, but honestly that kind of attitude is what I glean from this thread.

Drez on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is why I don't give a shit about this stupid argument anymore:

http://www.simprograms.com/?p=692

That blogger? He's a lunatic. And anyone that makes a devil face gif of some corporate dude they don't like is a double-lunatic. And maybe he's an extreme case, but honestly that kind of attitude is what I glean from this thread.

Everyone needs to rage once in a while. I just wish they would rage over something new.

Cinders on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I like the idea of EA, the formerly biggest, (and now the second biggest) game publisher in the world is going to magically go out of busines in the next 12 months.

It makes me giggle.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Try to keep up.

You must have missed the link I provided listing Spore's required specs to run, which did not include an active Internet connection to activate the game. Since other games that have been published by EA have included this on their list of system requirements (Half-Life 2, for example) your claims that you cannot play the game without first activating it via the Internet must be substantiated.

Or are you just going to repeat the same thing you said to me for the third time now, despite the fact that your claims are the ones that are unsubstantiated.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/06/20/spore-creature-creator-drm-explained-direct-from-ea

Now you can shut up.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Blaket wrote: »
    I like the idea of EA, the formerly biggest, (and now the second biggest) game publisher in the world is going to magically go out of busines in the next 12 months.

It makes me giggle.

Microsoft, Yahoo, and Sony all closed down their music DRM systems without going out of business and without "patching" the system to allow the users to keep their music.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I pointed out that abandonware was not legal, and it is not.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

First of all, thank you for finally providing what I asked for. That wasn't so hard, was it?

Secondly, I think you're the one who needs to take a few steps back, look at what the rest of the thread has said about your fear mongering, and go cool your head.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Blaket wrote: »

It makes me giggle.

Microsoft, Yahoo, and Sony all closed down their music DRM systems without going out of business and without "patching" the system to allow the users to keep their music.

The game comes in a box.

Shabooty on
This discussion has been closed.