Options

PAX 2009 Suggestions Thread

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    And, thankfully, it's been shot down about 2 billion times.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Chevi wrote: »
    I want to express that I am disappointed that PAX is AGAIN the same weekend as another Northwest convention, Kumoricon. I hate that it will turn into a trend that I have to choose between the two conventions each year, but being an artist, have to choose Kumoricon over PAX.

Sad that I will be unable to attend PAX again.

Man, there are only so many weekends in a year. Popular events are bound to overlap.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    magiicmagiic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    that's been mentioned a billion times by everybody

It needs to be.

magiic on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    No, it needs to die a very quick death. The two reasons that us sane people keep saying so are:

1. Axe/Tag/Whathaveyou smells like shit. I'd much rather be in a confined area with a few people with some BO than with a few people who've taken baths in that shit.
    2. It's fucking rude. You're basically saying "Because you're here, you must be a smelly nerd who doesn't even know how to spell 'hygiene', let alone know what it is, so here's a hint about as subtle as a Lancer to the face, tubby". I don't think that's quite in the spirit of PAX.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    chloelikesihopchloelikesihop Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    it are can be PAX tiem now plox?
    :]

p.s.- more old school console.

chloelikesihop on
  • Options
    neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    He wants to, its up to Khoo and friends at this point.
    He's got a commercial on G4 now.

So we shall see!

P.S. Yes, Bryce is an awesome guy.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    magiic wrote: »
    that's been mentioned a billion times by everybody

It needs to be.

Does it? Because there's no general smell associated with my memories of PAX. So things must have been fine.

The worst smell I can remember that whole weekend was downstairs at The Elite. So a gay bar stank bad enough for me to remember, but PAX didn't.

EDIT: Also I agree with the people saying AXE would just make things worse. If you're that bad take a shower and change shirts.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2008
    Seriously, Axe smells fucking atrocious. A center full of people covered in that obnoxious shit would be far worse than the occasional smell of BO, which was unnoticeable to me at PAX this year.

Tube on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, the smell has become more of a nonissue since the move to downtown Seattle.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited November 2008
    The only smell I noticed was Moe Fwacky, who smells like a sock full of wet acorns that have been left out in the rain next to an ugly dog.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That was a sock full of wet acorns that have been left out in the rain. It was under the table.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah but then we moved away from it and without the sock masking your natural odour it became apparent that you smell like a disabled tramp wanking into a packet of cheese and onion crisps.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Now that was an image I could do without.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited November 2008
    My suggestion for PAX 2009 is that Moe Fwacky should have a bath.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Haha, you've got a deal.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My suggestion for PAX 2009 is that Moe Fwacky should have a bath.

Are you volunteering?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Any way we could get the Pure Pwnage guys to show up? hopefully they get a booth :P that would be awesome

dragon keeper x on
    Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Any way we could get the Pure Pwnage guys to show up? hopefully they get a booth :P that would be awesome

They were there in 08... They just didnt have a booth or anything, just attended.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I don't know that there's that many of their fans that attend PAX. Honestly, I'd never heard of the show before you mentioned it. I don't think anybody in IRC watches it either, or they probably would have said something about it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited December 2008
    I don't know that there's that many of their fans that attend PAX. Honestly, I'd never heard of the show before you mentioned it. I don't think anybody in IRC watches it either, or they probably would have said something about it.

I watch it :P

and I know many that go to pax that know of them.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well thanks for making me look like a jackass, ya jerk.

Still, what would they do at PAX?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Well thanks for making me look like a jackass, ya jerk.

Still, what would they do at PAX?

Like what they would do at comic con, or what gabe/tycho do at other conventions. Sell their stuff at the booth and talk with fans.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well if they get a booth, sure, but isn't that as much up to them as up to the people at Penny Arcade? Somebody should tell them to get on the booth-getting early on.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah Moe, here's an example. What does Mega64 do at PAX? They do many things, like being awesome, talking to the fans and selling their merch. They also have kick ass panels.

Pure Pwnage could do that too, but probably not as awesome as the Mega64 dudes.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well if they get a booth, sure, but isn't that as much up to them as up to the people at Penny Arcade? Somebody should tell them to get on the booth-getting early on.

well, sony and ea keep getting sweet booths, so i'd say the standards are more money than content related.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How about an option when you buy your pass to have it mailed to you OR pick it up at will call if you are International?

pretty please?

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think that resulted due to many of the previous year's Canadians not getting their passes in the mail and ending up with a whole huge mess at Will Call.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    hatboyzerohatboyzero Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    So... When can companies/people/wombats/etc. start registering for floorspace for PAX 2009?

hatboyzero on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would like bigger signs for stuff with great big arrows for next PAX. If necessary I could volunteer for making some. Giant "PAX REGISTRATION 4th FLOOR -->" signs and much much bigger "Walrus Theater", "Tabletop -->", "Game Free Play -->" etc. signs would be really nice.

Especially if they were color coded or something.

Hypatia on
  • Options
    chloelikesihopchloelikesihop Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A couple of weeks ago I went on youtube and watched videos from the concerts at PAX08, and I cried. I cried a lot. Hope to find the concerts next year quite so touching... god I miss it.

chloelikesihop on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A couple of weeks ago I went on youtube and watched videos from the concerts at PAX08, and I cried. I cried a lot. Hope to find the concerts next year quite so touching... god I miss it.

cried? really? was it sad, happy, or just "i miss pax" crying?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hypatia wrote: »
    I would like bigger signs for stuff with great big arrows for next PAX. If necessary I could volunteer for making some. Giant "PAX REGISTRATION 4th FLOOR -->" signs and much much bigger "Walrus Theater", "Tabletop -->", "Game Free Play -->" etc. signs would be really nice.

Especially if they were color coded or something.

from what I understand, a lot of signs were misplaced and not found until after PAX ended. so there were signs like "Tabletop -->" and such planned, but didn't happen.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just a few suggestions from me (late as ever).

1. While everyone wants this, can we possibly have the hours work out a little better? Maybe open earlier in the morning, stay open later at night, or both? I know staying open later would be an issue as many companies host parties at nearby establishments, but I just felt like I did not have enough time to visit everything at the show in the time that was allocated for the show this year.

2. Get some of the establishments in downtown Seattle to stay open later? The only places I found open after PAX closed, or more importantly when leaving parties were bars with extremely overpriced food. EXTREMELY overpriced. Last year was ok since I had an unlimited bankroll essentially from the company that sent me, I am going on my own dime. The hotel food sucked and was overpriced too, and their hours were worse than even Taco Del Mar. In any case, maybe people in Seattle can get word out to businesses to stay open later during PAX (yes I know this isn't directly related to PAX but it impacts it).

3. If at all possible please bring everything into the 1 building. As has been mentioned a lot of people wanted to visit the analog game area but just did not have the energy to walk down the street to do so after spending the day walking around the main show floor.

4. Try and insulate the back rooms that were reserved for media and exhibitor use better. When trying to conduct several interviews that were being done on video we left the show floor to use the back rooms that were provided to exhibitors and media that reserved them. Problem was there seemed to be no roof on them so it really did nothing to minimize the sounds which drove us away from the main booth in the first place.

5. Offer something to the Enforcers to keep them a bit less....stressed. When encountering Enforcers the night before PAX when I needed to claim my media badge they were all in great moods and actually fun to sit around and talk to. The next day I ran into some at an overcrowded panel and some were rather grouchy and seemed to be stressed beyond their limit. While I'd be stressed in that situation too, it seemed like everytime I came across them they were ready to snap. Not sure what to do, but that could be handled internally by the Enforcer coordinators.

6. Do not change the way things are run. As of right now, the show is something that is great. The physical size is not like Chinajoy, TGS or Leipzig but it is a better atmosphere. Everyone feels comfortable talking to each other and the exhibitors know they have a captive audience. Any major changes could disrupt this delicate balance.

7. Ask Seattle PD to watch the streets around the expo a little more closely, especially after hours. When I was walking to the expo hall the night before it started to get some business cards made at FedEx, some guy walked up with a can of spray paint and tagged the Subway door with a duck. He came back later to finish it up. Just saying.

atiari on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    atiari wrote: »

1. While everyone wants this, can we possibly have the hours work out a little better? Maybe open earlier in the morning, stay open later at night, or both? I know staying open later would be an issue as many companies host parties at nearby establishments, but I just felt like I did not have enough time to visit everything at the show in the time that was allocated for the show this year.

3am isnt late enough? 8am isnt early enough?
    Those hours are just fine, keep in mind that those of us who work the show have to sleep at some time.

FYI: You wont be able to see everything at PAX, you havent been able to since 2007. If you just accept it things will seem less crazy :P PAX has gotten huge.

2. Get some of the establishments in downtown Seattle to stay open later? The only places I found open after PAX closed, or more importantly when leaving parties were bars with extremely overpriced food. EXTREMELY overpriced. Last year was ok since I had an unlimited bankroll essentially from the company that sent me, I am going on my own dime. The hotel food sucked and was overpriced too, and their hours were worse than even Taco Del Mar. In any case, maybe people in Seattle can get word out to businesses to stay open later during PAX (yes I know this isn't directly related to PAX but it impacts it).

Thats entirley up to them. We alert them every year and only recently have some of them heard us. The fast food places inside the WSCTC have finally caught on and have been staying open as long as PAX is.

Espically that subway on the 4th floor. The guy that runs it was Pro this year. He ordered 20 pallets of extra supplies and packed his back room.

Eventually other places will listen and stay open during pax, but if they dont then its their loss.
    You should make it a point next year to leave PAX to eat then head back for the last part of the conention that day.

3. If at all possible please bring everything into the 1 building. As has been mentioned a lot of people wanted to visit the analog game area but just did not have the energy to walk down the street to do so after spending the day walking around the main show floor.

To be blunt... Not gonna happen :P PAX is nearly doubling in size each year and PAX needs all the space it can get, unless the WSCTC doubles in size (bag of holding?). The best you can ask for is a 24h for tabletop like there was in 2006. That was awesome, so people who wanted to do PAX past its hours could go there.
    If people are too tired to walk a bit then why are they going to a *HUGE* convention anyway? heh

It honestly wasnt that far away, just across the street. Remember how far away tabletop was in 2006?

4. Try and insulate the back rooms that were reserved for media and exhibitor use better. When trying to conduct several interviews that were being done on video we left the show floor to use the back rooms that were provided to exhibitors and media that reserved them. Problem was there seemed to be no roof on them so it really did nothing to minimize the sounds which drove us away from the main booth in the first place.

Good idea and there might be a way to do this but its up to the convention centers policies. Most conventions are loud though :P
    I will pass along the sugguestion to see what can be done.

5. Offer something to the Enforcers to keep them a bit less....stressed. When encountering Enforcers the night before PAX when I needed to claim my media badge they were all in great moods and actually fun to sit around and talk to. The next day I ran into some at an overcrowded panel and some were rather grouchy and seemed to be stressed beyond their limit. While I'd be stressed in that situation too, it seemed like everytime I came across them they were ready to snap. Not sure what to do, but that could be handled internally by the Enforcer coordinators.

You probably just caught people at bad times.
    Overcrowded pannel means the enforcers around there were probably working hard to keep the situation under control and had tight schedules.
    The day before when you picked up the badge the registration people wernt under a huge crunch.

I know in PC I made an effort to shoot the shit with most anybody that came up to talk to me, even when I was running around trying to keep things under control.

6. Do not change the way things are run. As of right now, the show is something that is great. The physical size is not like Chinajoy, TGS or Leipzig but it is a better atmosphere. Everyone feels comfortable talking to each other and the exhibitors know they have a captive audience. Any major changes could disrupt this delicate balance.

I know the main goal @ PAX&khoo co. is to keep things as fun an fan oriented as possible, I doubt that will change anytime soon.
    Although sadly with the huge increase in size it will start to seem less and less like it was, but everyone is trying to keep PAX like PAX.

7. Ask Seattle PD to watch the streets around the expo a little more closely, especially after hours. When I was walking to the expo hall the night before it started to get some business cards made at FedEx, some guy walked up with a can of spray paint and tagged the Subway door with a duck. He came back later to finish it up. Just saying.

hahaha a duck?
    ... was it a funny duck? :P
    I know the seattle PD pays attention to large events going on. I saw more police presence there than last year, espically at night when I was dragging my dead self back to my hotel. But you also said that happened thursday night, before PAX.

BigRed on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

hahaha a duck?
    ... was it a funny duck? :P

Arn't all ducks funny ducks?

102.jpg
    1984__Duck_HuntplvDetail.jpg

Need I say more?

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sorry Reflection, but I have some counterevidence...

Everyone thinks they're such sweet little things...

EDIT: Your picture of the duck stealing money was absolutely hilarious though =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Screw the Ducks! Go Beavs!

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What the fuck VT? That is creepy.

parabola on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    lol! =) Ah, you've never seen that before? One of my friends showed me this once. I think it's from some "monty python-esque" show, but I don't know which one. =) And indeed, it is creepy.

But only because Ducks are creepy. =);)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    im sure its been mentioned before but-

5Vs5 DoTA for a group weed-out instead of a rockband or physical game.

that would be great

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
This discussion has been closed.