As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Viking Invasion! - Night 6 - Bugs on the brain

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shamus wrote: »
    warban wrote: »
    In much the same way, when theLawinator's kill on thetheroo went through, crimsoncoyote would have seen any of the Huscarls (B:L included) targeting Thetheroo.
    Wow, We had no chance at finding our mole. :( Inactive seers + action seer that can't detect moles :(

O well, I still really enjoyed this game.

I think we might've had a chance, just bad judgment on my part. TheLawinator played a perfect game; he avoided detection throughout. I got caught up looking at everyone else, and totally forgot about him.

Edit: Useless, crimson? You nailed us Grundlterror!

Thankies <3. I liked in the beginning how I sent messages to both of you to link you, then said, "Oh no! I screwed up so hard! I should hide while you guys form the network and tell me what you do!"

Favorite part.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Minigun - odd day seer, jailed day 1, freed day 3, didn't start playing again until day 6
    Rainfall - odd day seer, never died, sent in actions on days 1 and uh 6. Also a forced seering due to El Skid on day 5
    Jokerman - even day seer, jailed day 3, only had a chance for 1 seering
    Nion - even day seer, never died, sent in seerings on days 6 and 8. The day 6 seering was on The_Reflection, who was jailed that turn.
    Crimsoncoyote - Ability seer, missed an action for turn 1
    Institutional Pederasty - Ability seer, died night 2

JustPlainPavek's ability by the way stopped the Huscarls twice and one Viking kill.

Oh, and The_Reflection started as a Tax Collector, who always started with 2 votes on him. When he narrowly escaped jailing on turn three this turned him into the disgruntled employee, essentially a serial killer role who won when everyone else was dead.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    durax wrote: »
    What was SOCK an acronym for?
    Society of Calamitous Knowledge

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In much the same way, when theLawinator's kill on thetheroo went through, crimsoncoyote would have seen any of the Huscarls (B:L included) targeting Thetheroo.
    Wow, We had no chance at finding our mole. :( Inactive seers + action seer that can't detect moles :(

I think we might've had a chance, just bad judgment on my part. TheLawinator played a perfect game; he avoided detection throughout. I got caught up looking at everyone else, and totally forgot about him.

Thankies <3. I liked in the beginning how I sent messages to both of you to link you, then said, "Oh no! I screwed up so hard! I should hide while you guys form the network and tell me what you do!"

Favorite part.

I actually thought that too. :lol: I thought the idea forming a proboard when there was a mole suspicious, but then I got distracted.

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Probably the village's best bet would have been to use the guaranteed Veteran kills to take out suspect members of either the TM or the Huscarls until the mole was found. Leaving in that element of uncertainty each turn until late game pretty much screwed you guys on night 7.

Night 7 by the way - Huscarls have 3 targets: Shamus (good), Bliss (good) and Joshua (TM spy) Shamus kill gets through.
    Vikings send in kills for Shamus and Sheep (both huscarls)
    El skid redirects one viking kill to himself, keeping the huscarl and viking kills on shamus from overlapping
    Joshua's guard on theLawinator gets through, leaving Shamus open for the Huscarl kill

Pretty much the best possible scenario for the Vikings. If the Josh kill had gone through and the Shamus protection stuck the game would still have been very very close.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Probably the village's best bet would have been to use the guaranteed Veteran kills to take out suspect members of either the TM or the Huscarls until the mole was found. Leaving in that element of uncertainty each turn until late game pretty much screwed you guys on night 7.

Night 7 by the way - Huscarls have 3 targets: Shamus (good), Bliss (good) and Joshua (TM spy) Shamus kill gets through.
    El skid redirects one viking kill to himself, keeping the huscarl and viking kills on shamus from overlapping
    Joshua's guard on theLawinator gets through, leaving Shamus open for the Huscarl kill

Pretty much the best possible scenario for the Vikings. If the Josh kill had gone through and the Shamus protection stuck the game would still have been very very close.

Blah, and I believed MGW, and went for Bliss.

I've only really headed a network once before, Transformers Phalla, and it was a similar style to this one; can't trust anyone, even more so then usual. I think I need to avoid these types of games..

Or avoid running a network. :lol:

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I've only really headed a network once before, Transformers Phalla, and it was a similar style to this one; can't trust anyone, even more so then usual. I think I need to avoid these types of games..

You did alright, just forgot to kill me.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

It's true, if there's any wisdom I can impart to anyone, grudge kill law day one, otherwise he'll end up screwing the village.... or you.... bastard....

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Favorite part.

I did that because it would of let us have an undetected Vig for the rest of the game. Stupid part was No seers ever contacted Shamus.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This game was excellent.

Goose! on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hooray! Vikings win!

:cheers:

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    TehSloth wrote: »

It's true, if there's any wisdom I can impart to anyone, grudge kill law day one, otherwise he'll end up screwing the village.... or you.... bastard....

But I might be part of your faction and lead you to VICTORY!

Edit: GOOSE! Rock on!

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    VICTOLY!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, after Grundl's unsuccessful attempt to draw in a mole contact, we all got really nervous about the direction things were going. I kept trying to pass myself off as different things. Then I just gave up and begged for mole contact. Think that shifted the game.

My PM:
    Viking – Erik Bloodaxe was more than just a mighty warrior; more than just a strong clan leader; more than just a visionary tactician. Erik Bloodaxe, your king, was blessed by the wisdom of Odin One-eye, the battle prowess of Tyr, and the watchfulness of Heimdall. Over twenty years your king gathered up the disparate clans of vicious raiders and brought the wealth of the Britons home to your homeland. He was not satisfied though with the wealth of church priories or fishing villages and in his cunning devised many methods of destroying the Briton castles. For ten years your finest warriors have learned the language and custom of the enemy, altered your clothing and looks, and smuggled yourselves into their largest cities. Now Erik Bloodaxe stands outside York’s walls and waits for you and your brethren to butcher the city defenders and fling wide the gates to the berzerker’s fury!

You, DevoutlyApathetic, Gorilla Salad, Varcayn, TehSloth, Grundlterror, and Rend have hidden yourselves within the city. Every turn select PM PsychoLarry1 2 players to kill. You will win when you outnumber the villagers. You know that your men have infiltrated the defender’s organizations, but they have been in cover so long and disguised so well you do not know who they are or how many exactly remain.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Funnily enough your begging for contact was what led directly to my death. I was doubly peeved about that.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I see no-one has yet mentioned that I (and presumably Arasaki) had the wonderful role of MILLER AND DEATH MILLER

Oddly enough we are both British, I believe, giving a certain serendipity to the 'Foreign Merchant' role.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had Foreign Merchant. I seered and died as a Viking.

I think my drunken logic when I asked to be voted was that any seering on me would be wasted, and any non jail kill would mean that you mistakenly thought you killed a Viking.

I forget.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I was a reverse death miller/thrall.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Elldren wrote: »
    Funnily enough your begging for contact was what led directly to my death. I was doubly peeved about that.

I did actually try to throw some confusion around. Sorry to peeve ya.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »

I did actually try to throw some confusion around. Sorry to peeve ya.

I was mostly peeved you did it while I was away from the boards. Had you done it earlier I would have changed my vote to you right after sending you a PM.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Minigun - odd day seer, jailed day 1, freed day 3, didn't start playing again until day 6
    Rainfall - odd day seer, never died, sent in actions on days 1 and uh 6. Also a forced seering due to El Skid on day 5
    Jokerman - even day seer, jailed day 3, only had a chance for 1 seering
    Nion - even day seer, never died, sent in seerings on days 6 and 8. The day 6 seering was on The_Reflection, who was jailed that turn.
    Crimsoncoyote - Ability seer, missed an action for turn 1
    Institutional Pederasty - Ability seer, died night 2

JustPlainPavek's ability by the way stopped the Huscarls twice and one Viking kill.

Oh, and The_Reflection started as a Tax Collector, who always started with 2 votes on him. When he narrowly escaped jailing on turn three this turned him into the disgruntled employee, essentially a serial killer role who won when everyone else was dead.

Ahhhh....Sweet sweet grudge fodder.

Thanks PL1 :twisted:

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Not to mention Goose! going back on his word. Very disappointed, Goose :(

El Skid on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's funny, I did have a sneaking suspicion, but a better target always seemed to come up. I'll have to trust my instinct.

Always take DA out first.

Yea I find you have to go with your gut...wait, what? No, no no. Never take DA out first! DA is completely harmless!
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I see no-one has yet mentioned that I (and presumably Arasaki) had the wonderful role of MILLER AND DEATH MILLER

Oddly enough we are both British, I believe, giving a certain serendipity to the 'Foreign Merchant' role.

Ah, I was wondering where my role from the first game went. Indeed that role sucks. Though we didn't get the entertainment value we did in the original game where I was killed the first night....by Vikings. It was worth the early death to watch people try and figure out what the hell happened there.

Edit: Wow, the village jailed a seer on nights 1 and 3 while the even seers were both inactive. That is some horrible fucking luck.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yay, vikings win! So, for the record guys, that PM that The_Reflection posted in the game saying that I sent him... well yeah, I did send it to him. He was telling the truth the whole time. Basically it's like the PM said, I was the back up jailer (I think my role was prison guard) and I was corrupt, but not networked.

I needed to get networked for me to do anything, since I was basically a vanillager. Since I had just signed up for the TF2 phalla and then started my own phalla, I wanted to go out big, so I decided that I would either get networked and help my team win or I will be outed as corrupt by The_Reflection and be bandwagoned that night. Well turns out that The_Reflection got bandwagoned instead keeping me out of jail, but instead I was killed by the disgruntled employee. Wonderful.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I mock you for not contacting Grundl.

I also mock Lawn but Lawn totally made up for it in the end. Same for JoshuaESQ. They have cleansed their shame by heroic murderous/guarderous activity!

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JustPlainPavekJustPlainPavek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is also why JustPlainPavek's ability nullification stopped Huscarl and Viking kills on the last few turns.

Bloody hell.

Well, for the record, I sent in

Day One: FrostMist (RNG)
    Day Two: Toxic Toys (RNG)
    Day Three: Toxic Toys (there were only two Viking kills the previous night, so I thought I might've got one)
    Days Four and Five: B:L at Shamus' suggestion (ouch)
    Day Six: DevoutlyApathetic at Shamus' suggestion
    Day Seven: Bliss101 because of him being accused in the thread
    Day Eight: TheLawinator since I'd figured he was the mole

I don't think I ever heard directly from a seer or any other members of the network, so I was mostly just trusting what I heard from Shamus and some wild guesses.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I mock you for not contacting Grundl.

I also mock Lawn but Lawn totally made up for it in the end. Same for JoshuaESQ. They have cleansed their shame by heroic murderous/guarderous activity!

Why would anyone contact grumbles?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is also why JustPlainPavek's ability nullification stopped Huscarl and Viking kills on the last few turns.

Bloody hell.

Day Three: Toxic Toys (there were only two Viking kills the previous night, so I thought I might've got one)

I don't think I ever heard directly from a seer or any other members of the network, so I was mostly just trusting what I heard from Shamus and some wild guesses.

This has to be only only one complaint.
    It should of been explained or something. I doubt Shamus would of recommended using it on a anyone in our group if we knew it would effect all of us and not just removing that one persons vote from the Ring.

We lost 2 days of Vig kills because of how this mechanic worked. Vikings didn't even have do anything.
    I want to grudge you for this but by the sounds of it this mechanic didn't work exactly how we expected.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Vikings won? Awesome.

MGW, I love you, man. Saved my ass.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    Yes.

I can tell.

Shamus, next time I say kill the fuck out of DA and GorillaSalad, let's kill the fuck out of DA and GorillaSalad. ;-)
    That's not fair, you always want to kill the fuck out of me.
    Don't involve me in that! I'm not always bad.

I'm surprised I wasn't found out. My badness is almost always a guaranteed loss for the bad dudes.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had sparse as hell contact from vikings, even after sending in two confirmed kills for you frakkers through Goose.
    THEN you message me, after a day of being all alone for a day or two, madly making shit up and trying to live.
    I thought I was so totally boned, but apparently, Gumpy is always suspicious!

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was actually a corrupt jailer

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    JustPlainPavekJustPlainPavek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Bloody hell.

This has to be only only one complaint.
    It should of been explained or something. I doubt Shamus would of recommended using it on a anyone in our group if we knew it would effect all of us and not just removing that one persons vote from the Ring.

We lost 2 days of Vig kills because of how this mechanic worked. Vikings didn't even have do anything.
    I want to grudge you for this but by the sounds of it this mechanic didn't work exactly how we expected.

Actually I think by accidentally nullifying a good Huscarl, what ended up happening was I effectively increased the chance that the Huscarl mole would control the direction of your guys' kill for the worse. I could be wrong on that though.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So apparently the optimal tactic to take would have been to find a viking and just have JPP use his nullification on them all game, and kill them only at the end?

Speaking of strange mechanics, what "passive effects" could I have gotten with my warlock ability? This phrase confused the heck out of me...

El Skid on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My laptop burned with the heat of a thousand suns when I went to send in my orders last night, so I turned it the hell off without sending any orders in.

The mouse was burning

the bloody mouse

Curious, did Shamus and B:L know who the other militia member was?

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »
    My laptop burned with the heat of a thousand suns when I went to send in my orders last night, so I turned it the hell off without sending any orders in.

The mouse was burning

the bloody mouse

Yep. I really did know, for the most part, who everyone was.

The problem, during the whole "B:L is a mole", Josh sent me a PM saying how B:L contacted him and he had given up the names of other militia members. Looking back, it was stupid, but I believed him.

We actually tried to kill you, but that was during the two nights we nullified ourselves.

Shamus on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

The mouse was burning

the bloody mouse

The problem, during the whole "B:L is a mole", Josh sent me a PM saying how B:L contacted him and he had given up the names of other militia members. Looking back, it was stupid, but I believed him.

We actually tried to kill you, but that was during the two nights we nullified ourselves.

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being knowing I'm innocent via seering, 10 being knowing I'm evil via seering, and 5 being having NO CLUE AT ALL what I was, how suspicious were you of me?

8? 9?

Rend on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rend wrote: »

The mouse was burning

the bloody mouse

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being knowing I'm innocent via seering, 10 being knowing I'm evil via seering, and 5 being having NO CLUE AT ALL what I was, how suspicious were you of me?

8? 9?

Had we made it another night, you would've been bandwagoned. It was already in the works.

I'd say 9.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yeah, I'm not very good at playing as a bad guy. It's a _serious_ weak spot in my strategy for phalla.

Rend on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

The mouse was burning

the bloody mouse

Well, kinda. The SOCK role was a little more than just surviving though, as you might be able to tell from me not getting a side win. It was semi-impossible though... had to have all Vikings, and Vigs dead basically.
    Had we made it another night, you would've been bandwagoned. It was already in the works.

I'd say 9.

Yup, Rend was next on the list

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+