As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wierd Al for 2009?

2»

• BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    He could be a secert guest that comes out of nowhere.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    screw wierd al. we got John Coulton who is a bazillion times better.

You sir, do not know of what you speak.

Weird Al would be geek awesomeness. I've seen him live before and he's really good to watch.

Wierd Al is about as relevant to geek culture as an issue of Mad Magazine. His humor is just as bad, too.

John Coulton is his more talented, more relevant, less stupid, adult equivalent. Also, he's actually funny.

Really, Weird Al is relevant than Coulton? You're kidding, right? His last major single went platinum. And according to the original song's creator, Chamillionare, "It was so big overseas that people were telling me they had heard my version of Weird Al's song." Oh yeah, the song's name is "White & Nerdy", something that's pretty "geek" culture to me.

Hey look, I like "Still Alive" and all, but at some point, Coulton's gonna have to have a second song or risk being a one hit wonder. But wait, he doesn't even sing Still Alive. So whatever.

Coulton is overrated. Weird Al is a fucking star. Al > Coulton.

JustinSane07 on
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Weird Al ftw! And.. there were all sorts of flavors of geek at PAX. And some people that looked like significant others dragged along, because their bf/gf/what have you went. Pfft. So what if it pulls some people who aren't all ZOMG games and all sorts of geekness? I just would worry about getting into the show..

MeeOk on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cant we have Weird Al AND Coulton? I love them both!

I'd rather them skip on Frontalot or the Minibosses >.>

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • MandaristaMandarista Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yes!
    I refuse to believe that Weird Al isn't "good" enough for PAX when they're still willing to line up horrible acts like Frontalot (though I kinda like Minibosses...)
    Ugh... Frontalot... *shudder*

I would be ecstatic if we could get an Al/JoCo duet or something :lol:
    There are many types of "nerd/geek" music out there..... After 2 years of pretty much the same line up, PAX could really use something new....

Besides, Weird Al can't be that bad....
    There's a reason he's been popular for decades :P

Mandarista on
    Screw Frodo..... TASSLEHOFF LIVES!
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    taumeson wrote: »
    Weird Al would probably want to get paid -- the fine folks who perform for you Friday and Saturday evening are comped (airfare, hotel, etc.), but not paid. So, having Weird Al here probably won't happen.

Pretty much this. Most of the groups that play PAX each year do so in order to promote their work, because their fanbase is still small enough that a performance at PAX could result in a lot more fans willing to purchase their CDs and merchandise. Weird Al doesn't need to play shows purely for promotional purposes, and PAX doesn't bring in enough money to pay him what he would ask.

Nijhazer on
  • twtmctwtmc Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mandarista wrote: »

Yes!
    I refuse to believe that Weird Al isn't "good" enough for PAX when they're still willing to line up horrible acts like Frontalot (though I kinda like Minibosses...)
    Ugh... Frontalot... *shudder*
    Frontalot is the official Rapper Laureate of PAX! He is as important to PAX as Bawls is (or, I guess, was).

But Weird Al, in many ways, was the first Nerdcore artist. I think he holds the potential to draw in a lot of the nerds from around the country that couldn't justify spending the money it would cost them to take the time off work and pay for the trip out to Seattle for the weekend.

twtmc on
  • millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    weird al < joco = flight of the conchords

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd kinda like to see Basshunter show up and sing Boten Anna and DoTA.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Did someone just say the World's 579th Greatest Rapper of all time is horrible....!? Not to be rude... but tut-tut, you know nothing of or about rapping and how great Mr. Front truely is! The only person that even comes close to the Front is Coulton because he is down right sexy. It wouldn't be PAX without the Front. If rapping isn't your game then you are missing out.

Oh and Weird Al like I said before would be great as a surpise-out-of-no-where guest so people just don't come to PAX just to see him unless we sold tickets just for his act on the 6th floor and made it the biggest stage room ever and all PAX tickets counted toward getting in.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
    edited September 2008
    the best thing for pax to do is not announce at all...like have joco and frontalot and all the rest but book a mystery group/man/band/alien/chick. That way you keep it under wraps so you don't have to worry about non-paxers and it adds to the fun of pax...don't we all love a surprise? i know i do!

then we can randomly have weird al, flight of the conchords, darth mal or whomever your little heart desires...maybe it could be a pax game where penny arcade takes votes from all its forumers and the leading group performs (if its possible)...if not move to the next highest voted

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    We should'nt invite Nintendo, because we're going to have people just showing up for them.

We shouldn't allow Harmonix because we'll just have casual RB players coming to pax to play it.

We should cancel Halo freeplay and the tournament because we're just going to have Halo players showing up for that.

We should tell Blizzard to go away because they already have their own convention and we don't need all those WoW players taking up space.

Seriously, there's a shitton of casual 'hey it's a convention let's go' 'going here for one thing' people already. What does it matter if they're there? We had lines to everything this year and Weird Al wasn't even there. His presence wouldn't make the situation change.

FyreWulff on
    edited September 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    We should'nt invite Nintendo, because we're going to have people just showing up for them.

We shouldn't allow Harmonix because we'll just have casual RB players coming to pax to play it.

We should cancel Halo freeplay and the tournament because we're just going to have Halo players showing up for that.

We should tell Blizzard to go away because they already have their own convention and we don't need all those WoW players taking up space.

Seriously, there's a shitton of casual 'hey it's a convention let's go' 'going here for one thing' people already. What does it matter if they're there? We had lines to everything this year and Weird Al wasn't even there. His presence wouldn't make the situation change.

i understand what you're saying but weird al isn't really a game which is where the concern lies...no one's trying to exclude a certain population. But if it was anyone else...say Michael Jackson...how many pax go'ers are there for the games? PAX is having some definite growing pains and some paxers who have been there from the beginning are trying to keep pax what it has always been...a place for gamers, for games with games, about games...I know i don't want to lose that. And the bigger the entertainment...the more you have to worry about pax being a concert and not a convention...

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
    edited September 2008
    If they are not there for the games, there's going to be more room in freeplay and exhibition hall anyway.

FyreWulff on
    edited September 2008
    It's not so much about wanting to exclude certain "types" of people, it's about wanting to keep attendance at a manageable level.
    At least on my end that's all I'd be worried about.

I don't have anything against people coming to see a "big name" and getting interested in PAX - indeed that would be a good thing, generally speaking - plenty of games to entice the non-gamer "geeks" to maybe come over to the dark side (we have cookies!). :)

Considering how crowded the convention center already was though with the people there for PAX in the first place, if you added in hordes more that just got curious as to what the deal is about "this funny game convention whatever thing that Weird Al's playing at" I think the walls might just explode at that point.

I'd feel sorry for all the poor enforcers trying to keep both crowds under wraps :shock:

As much as I'd love to see Weird Al at PAX, I do think he'd draw too big a crowd to keep manageable in their relatively tiny theatre (especially considering the skimpy seating arrangements...)

Mandarista on
    edited September 2008
    Khoo has already suggested that they're probably going to go for ticketing next year, since people got blocked out of the keynote this year. There's already too many people.

FyreWulff on
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's not so much about wanting to exclude certain "types" of people, it's about wanting to keep attendance at a manageable level.
    At least on my end that's all I'd be worried about.

Let's say the first 60k people got into pax next year, and everyone else was turned away to keep the crowds manageable. Would you support that?

Polago on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    The whole argument "but then more people will come" is a retarded one. Even if there were people in seattle that aren't going to pax that are big enough fans of weird al to go to a concert.. which i don't really see that being possible.. more people coming to pax is what they want.

why dont we just limit next pax to people who've gone to every single pax prior.

then I wont ever have to wait in line.
    (no i dont really think we should do that if you thought i was serious ingest glass)

Grath on
    edited September 2008
    well...i don't know what the solution is to this problem...but you have to admit...how many more venues could fit pax with say...another 10,000 people...concert or pax people alike...we're getting huge and with it a bit more impersonal each year...I went in 2006 and there was something a bit more precious about it...not that 2008 wasn't cool. but alot of the complaints about 08 was from there just being far too many people (all of which were there for pax only!)...adding a big header will complicate things and the enforcers? prolly become extinct because at the point you would need REAL security...hired hands...and then what do you have? E3? no thanks...i'll pass

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
    edited September 2008
    Polago wrote: »
    Let's say the first 60k people got into pax next year, and everyone else was turned away to keep the crowds manageable. Would you support that?
    Actually, with the size that PAX seems to have grown to, I wouldn't see limited ticket sales as something negative, all things considered.
    PAX this year was hard enough on the enforcers to keep up with - I know that much.
    It is quite possible for the convention to grow too big for it's fishbowl so to speak.
    Grath wrote: »
    The whole argument "but then more people will come" is a retarded one. Even if there were people in seattle that aren't going to pax that are big enough fans of weird al to go to a concert.. which i don't really see that being possible.. more people coming to pax is what they want.

why dont we just limit next pax to people who've gone to every single pax prior.

(no i dont really think we should do that if you thought i was serious ingest glass)
    And you honestly think that solution isn't just as "retarded"?.
    You seem to be missing the point - also, ingesting glass is a health hazard. No thanks. :)
    I would never advocate excluding specific people from PAX based on asinine criteria like that - a persons previous attendance records are moot.
    It's not about who goes, it's about how many go.
    Apparently I can't stress that enough... :?

They can only have a certain number of people in the concert hall before it becomes illegal.
    If it filled to max capacity with the number of people just from PAX attending, they couldn't let more in - simple as that.
    Friday night seemed to be the most popular concert night, and trust me, that place was jam packed for quite a while after they first started up.
    When the doors opened, they did have to restrict the people going in at first because it filled up so quickly.

That's a problem they're already going to have to be worried about, "famous" musical acts aside though.
    They already had to expand some things to the annex building apparently just to keep up with the crowd.
    I'd imagine PAX '09 will already be quite hectic as it is, without making a huge fuss over the concerts as a seperate venue as well.
    millislim wrote: »
    but alot of the complaints about 08 was from there just being far too many people (all of which were there for pax only!)...adding a big header will complicate things and the enforcers? prolly become extinct because at the point you would need REAL security...hired hands...and then what do you have? E3? no thanks...i'll pass
    I think that's more the point I'm getting at here.
    The enforcers are volunteers, we have to remember.
    They get tired enough as it is keeping up with all of the "regular" atendees.... I genuinely felt bad for them this time around.
    There's no way a small group of volunteers could keep up with the concerts suddenly expanding to thousands more (which seems to be a trend, but remember: that's another topic entirely).

Plus, considering the concerts are on a first come, first serve basis with the wristbands going to certain PAX ticket buyers (assuming the theatre would fill to capacity with a "big name", though that's obviously not always the case) then they couldn't possibly fit much more people in there anyways - not without the fire dept. pulling out the ban hammer :P

If they did genuinely start selling the concert tickets separately (not tied to con tickets) not only would that likely inflate the price for the people attending both events, but I'm sure it would start quite a bit of a fuss from the "old school" PAXers (which I admit I am not one of) who wanted to still see JoCo and Freezepop and the like without having to make a new purchase.
    Whole new can-o-worms....

Although come to think of it, if concert tickets were separate from con tickets entirely, then maybe as many people wouldn't attend if that nights line up wasn't to their liking.
    I skipped Saturday myself because I wasn't interested in the acts.
    That would be good for crowd control in general - don't like the band, don't buy a ticket, don't hog the floor space....
    But again, presuming it would all be for the sake of a "big name" act to purposely draw a crowd, I'd imagine there would be some rather disappointed con-goers turned down because they got there too late and tickets had run out....

Hence the dilemma!

Mandarista on
  • twtmctwtmc Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I would just like to point out that PAX still isn't fully utilizing the 6th floor of the convention center that contains a 4,000-5,000 person hall and only has 3 possibly entry points (1 stairs, 1 escalator, 1 elevator). Seems to be like this would be a good venue for maintaining decent crowd control with minimum enforcers.

twtmc on
    edited September 2008
    one stair, escalator and elevator seems dangerous with that many people...i guess you wouldn't have the concerts up there...however it would make crowd control easy with one or so entry points

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
    edited September 2008
    It's the same tri-escalator as all the other ones. It would be fine.

FyreWulff on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Actually, with the size that PAX seems to have grown to, I wouldn't see limited ticket sales as something negative, all things considered.
    PAX this year was hard enough on the enforcers to keep up with - I know that much.
    It is quite possible for the convention to grow too big for it's fishbowl so to speak.

You seem to be missing the point - also, ingesting glass is a health hazard. No thanks. :)
    I would never advocate excluding specific people from PAX based on asinine criteria like that - a persons previous attendance records are moot.

Wow... just wow..

you even commented on the line where I tried to make it clear that I didn't really think we should do that idea... But you still thought I thought it was a real Idea.

let me make this clear

We were making fun of you.

Grath on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Wow... just wow..

you even commented on the line where I tried to make it clear that I didn't really think we should do that idea... But you still thought I thought it was a real Idea.

let me make this clear

We were making fun of you.

Wait, so why were you making fun of her? She wasn't the one to originally state the "numbers" issue, Eyes 5 was. She just agreed along with several others that it was a concern of hers as well with the overcrowding.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
    edited September 2008
    I guess that's what you get for trying to explain things logically....
    Yes Grath, I know you were being rude, I was attempting to give you the benefit of the doubt. :?

Mandarista on
  • GenXerGenXer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    Wierd Al would be great if now was 15 years ago.

This.

GenXer on
    Twitter: @GenXer | Flickr: Gene Eckser | Xbox Live: Gene Eckser
  • Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I would say that while I would have a few reservations to having weird al in PAX (people and such), perhaps he can play at a venue near the WSTCC?

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
This discussion has been closed.