As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THANK YOU! (and some notes!)

• ValanderValander Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    - People waiting in line for stuff and not being able to get in. 100% the worst thing that happened at the show, and it really was upsetting (despite most not really complaining much)... because if it were me I know i wouldn't be happy. Next year we're either going to move to ticketing or hard counting of seats for the line. Not being able to get in is one thing... thinking you can get in, waiting for an hour and not getting in is another. I PROMISE I WILL FIX THIS NEXT YEAR.

This was my biggest let down for this year. I missed every single panel I had originally planned on, because by the time I got to the line (in some cases, over an hour in advance), it was already so long that there was no way everyone was getting in. The absolute worst part (which I did for the first couple) was exactly as you describe--getting through part of the line only to be turned away because it was full.

There aren't many ways to deal with that with this kind of crowd, though. Probably have to do something like GenCon and get event tickets early, then have a 15-min cut off for standbys or something. Hopefully you guys will come up with something to deal with that (maybe even see about getting some panels scheduled on multiple days?) for next year.

Overall, it was fun, but tiring!

Valander on
    D.
  • DameSafDameSaf Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    I totally enjoyed myself, and I know my friends did too. It was our first and we travelled down from BC, but it was totally worth it. The lines were long, but I expected that and made allowances. The Enforcers were very helpful & friendly, but firm & polite when they needed to be. Overall, it was extremely well run. My friends will be back next year, I'll be back in a couple (when my daughter's older - unless there does end up being a Kids' Room next year :winky: ).

DameSaf on
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better, it's not.
    - Dr. Seuss, 'The Lorax'
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    also...there seemed to be a skyrocketing # of "booth babes" this year. I didn't have a chance to talk to them to find out if they actually knew what they were promoting, but there were just a lot more. Expo hall as a whole just seemed more commercial than I remember from the past 2 years...GPG would give you a beta key for Demigod if you pre-ordered their game there, etc.

Did the policy get rehashed from last year, or were they all knowledgeable about their games? e.g. the ones at Saints Row?

The ones I talked to were either knowledgeable of what they were promoting or were just gamers in general.

The Judy Nails gal over at the Activision booth was great to chat with. Although I'm still a little miffed that I missed out on beating her by about 3,600 points (missed one more note than her on Living On a Prayer). I could have used a new PS3 since I had to sell mine to cover some of the expenses.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thank you! Especially for the following:

1. The Grand Hyatt was amazing. Thanks for getting a reasonable rate at this haven.
    2. Checkin, for swag and the BYOC was smoother than ever. Thanks to Big Red and the Enforcers for zero-length lines.
    3. The exhibition hall was amazingly huge and fascinating. Hard to believe it has come that far from year 1. Most of all, thanks for convincing Valve to bring Left 4 Dead and Media Molecule to bring Little Big Planet. Exactly what I wanted to know more about. In each place, an actual developer was there to answer questions.
    4. Unofficial PAX community events. Triwizards, Pre-Pax dinner. An indirect result of your efforts, but thanks for fostering that kind of atmosphere all the same.

And it was just cool to see celebrities gawking around the exhibition areas.

Re: The booth babes. I ran into Kim Swift at the Valve booth and marveled at her big, beautiful brain. I mean that in the most respectful way possible, Kim! Thanks for talking to me.
    pax_kim_swift.jpg
    And MC Frontalot was accessible, as always. What a guy. (incidentally, his latest album "Final Boss" is phenomenal)
    pax_frontalot.jpg

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I saw Khoo at the Shareton. I waved madly at him and we waved madly back at me. it was swell :)

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aye, the proliferation of Pre-PAX events really helped to make the whole PAX experience a more social place. I LOVED it! It was like having a variety of meet-and-greet sessions leading up to PAX itself, and it made the whole experience extremely rich and non-anonymous.

I shared this story with HotSake just before he left, but I had gotten so used to waving and saying hello to random people during PAX (because everyone's so friendly) that on Monday when it was all over I was looking for food and waved to the first people I saw when I left the hotel room. They got this horrified look and turned away, and I realized that I was sadly in the realm of normal society once more. =(

That being said, we should start our own nerd Country, where people can meet on the street anonymously and talk about games and tech. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had such a great time. Somehow through the glorious working of karma, I was selected to be an Omeganaut, and I have to say, all 20 of us were treated like kings.

I guess I might have gotten a distorted view of the convention - Being an Omeganaut was a mixed blessing with all the time commitments leaving less time to explore the expo and attend a lot of interesting panels, but rocking out on the rock band guitar playing Eye of the Tiger in front of 5,000+ people all cheering was one of the greatest experiences of my life, and being able to be in the front at all of the concerts was awesome.

Thank to all of the Enforcers, for being so awesome! You guys give up your time every year to keep the convention working.

Thanks Omegatechs, for putting together an awe-inspiring tournament without a hitch.

Thank you Mike and Jerry, for creating the greatest convention ever, and managing to top it year after year!

And thank you Khoo, for making it all happen. At the core of PAX beats a demon-heart, and it's you that keeps it well-supplied with the blood of virgins. If PAX were a religion, you would be at the head of the shadowy tribunal controlling its android-pope.

Plutonium on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just realized that I only attended one panel, the Warhammer one because Rend wanted to go really bad and I ended up just sitting down in line with him haha.

I hit up the first night concert, the Omegathon events, the exhibition hall, etc. Mostly I just socialized with all the awesome people, did some Rockband playing and DS gaming, ate and drank, and so on, so I didn't have to worry about lines much.

About the only thing that ruined my plans as Gameworks being closed Sunday evening when I wanted to go take everyone and burn up the remaining balance. Damn them!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanks Khoo! You are an amazing person to have put this together for us. As a side note - my consultant friend may try to stalk you now. I told her about how you saved Penny-Arcade. You are her God.

eye-shuh on
  • giraffeoverlordgiraffeoverlord Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This was my first year at PAX, and I had an awesome time hanging out with friends and participating in stuff like Assassins and the Button exchange.

The only thing that was a bummer for me was the Will Call line - I preordered my pass so I didn't have to wait and buy it there - and ended up waiting in the will call line for nearly 2 hours, barely moving. I will definitely be buying my pass at the first opportunity next year, so I can have it shipped to me, but it would be nice if some extra will call check-ins could be added next year, so the wait won't be as bad for those who do end up doing will call.

giraffeoverlord on
    TWDT Ravenclaw Perfect Attendance!
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head Girl, 2011-12. CACAW!
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    slacktron wrote: »
    Thank you! Especially for the following:
    2. Checkin, for swag and the BYOC was smoother than ever. Thanks to Big Red and the Enforcers for zero-length lines.

:D

Glad to know all my efforts, implemented ideas, and overall plan worked out in the end to fix the crappy BYOC line from 07.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited September 2008
    Aye, you rocked it Red! And it was good to meet you in person finally too! =) You must've slept for 24 hours after PAX was over I imagine, I don't think I ever saw you sleep! =)

VThornheart on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't think I ever saw you sleep! =)

Were you expecting to see him sleep? Did you bring binoculars and/or some sort of hotel break-in equipment? Why exactly were you wanting to see him sleep, hmmm? PERVERT!

tr0tsky on
    edited September 2008
    Ah, the jig is up! (hides his binoculars and camera, and then jumps out of the nearest window) =)

VThornheart on
  • Labrack2401Labrack2401 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    OMG thanks to everybody because I had an amazing time, and it woldn't be the same without our swesome community here at the forums. I am already planning for next year!

Labrack2401 on
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for everything being so awesome you guys! My first expo/con ever was.. well, it was a blast. I will be posting a couple of pictures once I get copies of them. I'll make buttons, because as neat as hugs are, well.. buttons are nifty. The whole PAX for my B-Day thing was amazing. Thanks so much to the enforcers for being awesome! I got one of the Convention Center guys in trouble, because he was being a dick. I hope he gets some serious talking to, because he was extremely unprofessional, but you guys rocked!

MeeOk on
    edited September 2008
    hey, was it you I traded a tr0tsky button for a hug to on Friday before the expo hall opened?

tr0tsky on
    edited September 2008
    Highly likely, short asian girl in a goth outfit? Who had shoulder length hair? I don't have long hair anymore, I cut it all off at the brothers in arms booth.. for a game. ^^;;

MeeOk on
    edited September 2008
    awesome. Yah, you were talking to HotSake and there was another girl there, who I traded buttons with. Was close to the exhibition hall doors, on the left side.

Good times, either way. If you have a tr0tsky pin (see avatar), then you must be that person, because I didn't hug anyone else (for a pin, anyway :winky:)

tr0tsky on
    edited September 2008
    Yes, I have the tr0tsky button. Silly question, maybe, but where are the PA irc, and how does one get on them?

MeeOk on
    edited September 2008
    irc.slashnet.org #paforums_pax if you have an IRC client

or you can go to pax.wikidot.com and click on the "show IRC chat" link near the top for a web version.

tr0tsky on
    edited September 2008
    Thank you. ^^;;

MeeOk on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I didn't mind not getting into the panels, because there was always something else to do, but it did kind of suck when there were events with plenty of room(re: the final Omegathon), and they still wouldn't let anyone in.

It was still awesome, and I'll definitely go back next year.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2008
    Aye... I'd go to PAX even if there weren't any panels at all I think. Just meeting so many people who I knew shared so many common interests was great... and especially meeting so many people who I'd talked to for so long and not yet met in real life! If PAX merely consisted of a campfire and a bunch of chairs, I'd have still been there.

Though in that case, I would've brought s'mores. ;)

VThornheart on
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think PAX s'mores is an excellent idea.

eye-shuh on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    SmallLady wrote: »
    I saw Khoo at the Shareton. I waved madly at him and we waved madly back at me. it was swell :)

Unlike certain people one meets in the lobby of the W.... :winky:

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • CaelestoCaelesto Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This year, I became an enforcer and helped in an itty-bitty way to make PAX happen. I was sore, and tired as hell, and everything still hurts, and you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. Thank you, Khoo, for being super awesome and caring like you do...it makes PAX more awesome each year. Thank you to all the other enforcers who worked much MUCH harder than I did. Thank you to all the other forumers who met and did so many cool things together...the PAX extracurriculars are almost as much a part of PAX as the Expo itself in my mind. Thank you everyone, because PAX is truly, truly, the best expo of my year. And next year I will return with even greater joy and a larger wad of cash for swag =P

<3, fer srs guise.

Caelesto on
    In all likelihood, this is my fault. If the current situation is not my fault, please let me know as soon as possible so that I may rectify this oversight. Thank you.
    ~The Management
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This was my 2nd year at PAX and I've still never gone to a panel aside from Wil's keynote. I have too much fun enforcing to take a break!

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for a great weekend! I was a little bit disappointed though. This was my first PAX, and the lack for foresight regarding space, lines, food, communication and signage seemed kinda sophomoric to me. The kinda stuff I'd expect from an anime con in a hotel. But, I promise that if you fix these problems, me and my crew WILL BE BACK!

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • FearfallFearfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Please let me add my thanks as well amazing event.

Fearfall on
    Max sig size 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    Over the mountains of the moon down the valley of shadow

Fearfall.png
  • dachibidachibi Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    As someone who has helped put on these crazy events (not PAX but others), all I say is good job done.

The pluses were meeting attending a couple of the panels, meeting Psychochild, and chattin' with the Enforcers. Really the Enforcers were AWESOME peeps (plus they showed me the secret Juice-Bar).

I have a few complaints, but I'll address them elsewhere on the forum. But overall for my first PAX, it was good.

Hopefully I'll be able to attend next year (and hopefully as an Enforcer).

-Nathan "Chibi" Johnston
    Animethon 4 - 15 and Anime-Evolution '05-'08 Staff

dachibi on
  • woodoostickawoodoosticka Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SO MUCH FUN WAY TOO FAST!

I had a lot of fun with Nihilist and Coldbrew, it was cool to finally show Nihilist what PAX was all about.

woodoosticka on
  • KalaylajaylaKalaylajayla Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This was my first PAX, and I had a great time. I didn't get into any of the panels outside of the main theater, but I never let that get to me, there were too many awesome people to hang out with, and so many things to do.

I met so many people from the forums and I don't think I could be happier with how the last week turned out.

So, Thank you very much Khoo, you helped make the weekend of my life.

Kalaylajayla on
  • PandemoniumPandemonium Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    Oh man, this was my first PAX and my friends and I had a blast. Thanks so much for the experience!

Pandemonium on
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Thanks Khoo! You are an amazing person to have put this together for us. As a side note - my consultant friend may try to stalk you now. I told her about how you saved Penny-Arcade. You are her God.

She's right. You're now my consultant hero! (is that a game?) I promise I won't be too obvious when I'm stalking you... maybe just a pic to put on my desk at work? To remind me how cool consulting can be??

Also, thanks for the amazing PAX experience. My friends (see above) wanted to mark me as a PAX virgin and frankly it was the most mind blowing experience of the year!

trickycoolj on
  • NightingaleNightingale Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thank you again Khoo!

Not only is it fun to go to this convention, it's nice to know that you guys are actually there seeing what we see and noticing what can be improved on.

Intelligent beings running the show FTW.

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
  • super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    can i suggest one thing about counting attendees to certain events and what not?

add an rfid to each pax pass that way the rooms could have automatic counts for when people enter and leave a room.

also

when the main theater is to crouded you should open the air wall a bit so people could at least have an "over flow" theater

other then that the show was fantastic this year! keep up the good work.

super... on
  • angiek47angiek47 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    No, seriously, thank you guys. I've been hearing about PAX for a couple of years now and never made it up to Seattle. This year I finally saw what all the praise is about. PAX is a wonderful con. Thank you guys.

angiek47 on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thank you oh humble and wise Khoo, for recognizing the faults. Honestly, while it was disappointing not to get to see some of the panels, there were enough things there to see that it was not so bad.

Thank you for already having ideas on how to fix this problem and thank you for having such good maps (arrows would have been nice but at least the maps were coherent).

RoyceSraphim on
  • MomoshouseMomoshouse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I want to add my thank you to this list.
    As a 47 yr old parent and gaming mom, attending with my 14 yr old son, I want to say this is one of the best events I have ever been to.
    Reaching my mid life and finding an incredible, vibrant, passionate, energetic community such as this is really one of the highlights of my year, and has me seriously considering a career change after 25 years in the banking industry.
    If I could make the same as what I make now in my current job, I would move into the gaming industry in a heartbeat.
    You guys put on an incredible event, and yes the lines were long, and yes some people didn't get into things (and my son and I were a couple of those) but I never heard anyone complaining. I think it was apparent to most that there were more people there than was anticipated.
    Great vibe, great, positive energy everywhere you went - can't say enough about how much I enjoyed it.

So, any game companies out there need a middle aged receptionist/file clerk/office manager/executive assistant - hell, I might even consider janitorial?????????
    :lol:

Looking forward to next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Momoshouse on
    ""[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"I've got a good mind to go out and join a club and beat you over the head with it.