As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prison Break: The Breakening

imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Season four starts tonight with a two-hour episode! In celebration, here's the thread to rock out to.

prison-break-20060817031624686.jpg

Synopsis: Man with shady past gets framed for murder, his brother finds out (and just so happens to be a genius) and decides to break his brother out from the inside! He succeeds only to get trapped in another prison, this time in Panama. All the while some overshadowing company is pulling strings to make sure all hell breaks loose.

They escape Panama, but now one of the brothers is looking for REVENGE.

Oh and Michael Rapaport makes a guest appearance. That guarantees at least two episodes of overacting! Discuss.

idc-sig.png
Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
imbalanced on

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How many times can they put these guys in prison before it gets stale?

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm guessing at least two more times.

But seriously, the name of the show is actually now a misnomer because they're not really breaking out of prison anymore. They're using their prison breaking skills to break INTO a secure, secret location to bring down the company that framed them all and screwed up their lives in one way or the other.

I am thinking of the show as a big onion, and they're only finally starting to peel off the inner layers.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I watched Prison Break until they
    killed Haywire
    . (dunno if that needs to be spoilered since it's old old news.) So I'd say it gets stale after putting them in prison once. I did actually watch a couple of episodes after Haywire, and I think the show just went to crap a couple of episodes into season 2.

[Michael] on
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I watched s1 and enjoyed it, 2 was pushing it and I started to loose faith, when they got put into that panamanian prison in S3 that was it for me.

atat23 on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got a few episodes into series three but stopped when it fell into a horrible ditch where it wasn't quite silly enough to be a comedy but wasn't serious enough to be a drama.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I liked season 1 and 2, but season 3 started to really annoy me.

Will someone please kill T-Bag now?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I dropped out part of the way into S3 as well and haven't missed it at all.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So are they gonna break out of Prison this year?

If anything this show should teach people that crime don't pay.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think the series peaked in Season 1. There was so many awesome things that happened that the things that go on now just don't compare at all.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    PiggoPiggo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I loved the first season of Prison Break, and I felt that Season 2 was strong as well.

Season 3, like a few people on here, killed the show for me. Everything about it was bad. But I felt I should give PB another shot with the new season so I watched the last few episodes of season 3 to find out what was going on (which i thought were really not very good either)

With that in mind I loved the first episode of the new season for a few reasons (spoilers obviously)
    Pretty much all the new characters from season 3 where killed off straight away. It was as if season 3 didn't happen, apart from one plot point to further the story. Everyone that was left in Sona was out, we didn't have to go back and watch them escape (it was glossed over as a riot, but i couldn't care less what they decided happened, i'm just glad Sona is gone). T-Bag is starting to become bad-ass again. Sarah's back (they didn't stretch it out at all, she was straight back in on the first episode which was great).

I really hope they can make this Season good. I really do like this show, and it seems to be getting back on track.

Piggo on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's on hulu in case anyone cares.

I'll give it a shot. We'll see how it pans out.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Like everyone it seems I gave up during the third season. It just fell apart...completely.

Crayon on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man season 3 wasn't bad at all. It was the weakest season by far but I would never call it bad.

At the very least, it brought us Gretchen, she was a good villain and I'm glad her death was a fakeout.

Really enjoyed the first episode of S4

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    I've seen every episode so far and I guess I have an attachment of some sort because intellectually I'm ashamed that I enjoy it but I really do.

Organichu on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fantastic show. I watched all of season one on DVD in very few sittings, which was epic.
    As much as the changes cause costernation, I do enjoy how every season is very different in tone. I think they should assign the seasons subtitles:

PRISON BREAK
    PRISON BREAK 2: PRISON BROKE
    PRISON BREAK 3: PRISON BREAK HARDER
    PRISON BREAK 4: BREAK IN

EddieDean on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Season 3 had the potential to be really good but it was clearly crippled by the writer's strike. From what I've seen of the first ep of season 4 it looks to be ahuge improvement.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Piggo wrote: »
    Pretty much all the new characters from season 3 where killed off straight away. It was as if season 3 didn't happen, apart from one plot point to further the story. Everyone that was left in Sona was out, we didn't have to go back and watch them escape (it was glossed over as a riot, but i couldn't care less what they decided happened, i'm just glad Sona is gone). T-Bag is starting to become bad-ass again. Sarah's back (they didn't stretch it out at all, she was straight back in on the first episode which was great).

I really hope they can make this Season good. I really do like this show, and it seems to be getting back on track.

Whoa whoa whoa...is this true?
    Is Sarah Tancredi (still played by Sarah Wayne Callies) back alive? Are you serious? I stopped watching the show when she died. It had long since gone stale, and that was the last straw for me. But if it's getting interesting again AND she is back alive...I may start watching again.

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So essentially Prison Break mirrors the plot of Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay?

Riddick, you escaped! Now we'll send you to a better prison!

Oh shit, same thing. better go one step up

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So essentially Prison Break mirrors the plot of Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay?

Riddick, you escaped! Now we'll send you to a better prison!

Oh shit, same thing. better go one step up

No, not really. I was in the same boat as most people with the whole "LOL How're they gonna keep breaking out of prisons if they're already broken out" and believed myself to be extremely clever. Then I actually watched the first season and found it was good. Then the second season is a direct extension of the Prison Break theme by having them be on the run and detailing what that part of a jail-break scenario would be like.

Season 3 saw them end up in a prison again but with a completely different dynamic. There are also interesting characters plus a plot that causes the prisonyness to make sense.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yes.

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Daenris wrote: »

Yes.

You know, I might watch just to find out
    How someone who was supposedly decapitated is back alive. I mean, this isn't Lost.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Tomanta wrote: »

Yes.

How someone who was supposedly decapitated is back alive. I mean, this isn't Lost.

Well basically
    Sara actually escaped her captors so they found someone who looked like her, and chopped her head off. Lincoln only saw the head briefly in a dark warehouse, and he was too freaked to like...pick up the head and give it a really good look. At a glance, it looked like Sara, and Lincoln fell for it.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Tomanta wrote: »

Yes.

Well...
    apparently...
    Gretchen just chopped off some random woman's head and Lincoln only glanced at it for a second, so wasn't sure it was really her.

Really they just needed some way to bring her back, since the only reason she wasn't in season 3 was a contract problem or disagreement or something.

Daenris on
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hooray for retcons!
    I only asked with the entire actor's name because I didn't want this to be like where they replaced The Fresh Prince's aunt with another actress and no one said anything

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, that's as stupid as I thought it would be.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I had some free time and I watched it on Hulu. Yep, just as ridiculous and I imagined it would be.

Crayon on
  • Options
    NevNev Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's not a retcon.
    It was very obvious when she 'died' that she would be back, such a major character would definitely have a scene where you can see them dying, if they were really meant to be gone. It's the same with Gretchen in EP1.

Nev on
  • Options
    TripKMATripKMA Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So uh
    If Sarah is with Michael and them because it is safer than being left alone, where the hell LJ and that girl at?

TripKMA on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nev wrote: »
    It's not a retcon.
    It was very obvious when she 'died' that she would be back, such a major character would definitely have a scene where you can see them dying, if they were really meant to be gone. It's the same with Gretchen in EP1.

It is a retcon.
    The reason they didn't have a scene was that there were contract issues with the actress. She did not appear in any episodes in season 3. A stand in was used for some scenes, and they used flashbacks, and some photos at some points, but the actress wasn't in the season at all. That's why they didn't have a death scene.

According to this interview she was killed in season 3 to provide more emotional punch. The actress didn't like this and they ended up not agreeing on a contract, so she was out of the season.

Then at some point they obviously decided they wanted her back, so they explained away her apparent death after the fact.

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It's a retcon. But it's not a bad retcon.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    TripKMA wrote: »
    So uh
    If Sarah is with Michael and them because it is safer than being left alone, where the hell LJ and that girl at?
    I don't think they realize yet that the Company is going after every single loose end. They know that Sarah is still in danger, but Lincoln (in the heat of the moment with that gunman) probably just thought to distance LJ and Sofia as much as possible.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I really, really hope we get flashbacks from inbetween seasons 3 and 4. Because a lot has changed. A lot a lot.

EddieDean on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    EddieDean wrote: »
    I really, really hope we get flashbacks from inbetween seasons 3 and 4. Because a lot has changed. A lot a lot.

I hope they don't do flashbacks... I think it's only been a few weeks.
    Mahone and Whistler were "working" for Gretchen, which was the case at the end of season 3.

Michael was after Gretchen to get revenge, which was the case at the end of season 3.

Lincoln, LJ, and Sophia were out, which was the case before.

Sucre was arrested and in jail with T-bag and Bellick. This was resolved by some stupid couple of second clip on the premiere where they mentioned a prison riot/fire at Sona and that these prisoners were unaccounted for afterwards. Kind of stupid, but it's handled.

The only thing that's really unaccounted is Michael getting from Panama to LA. Which seems pretty boring and mundane and doesn't need any exposition.

Unless of course you somehow only caught the second hour of the season premiere, in which case I understand why you'd be confused.

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    After watching the whole first episode I have to say that Mahone is awesome.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I can't tell if he's still on the drugs or not. He still has that crazy tick, but I don't know if that's because he's clean and suffering side effects or if he's just really high right now.

towelie.gif

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    He's probably still on drugs. I'm sure it will come up as an obstacle later on in the season. I'm really digging the new direction for the show. It's reminding me of the A-Team.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So - does he still wear a long sleeved tee-shirt? I thought it was hillarious how he was in panama and was always wearing full length shirts/hoodies because they were too lazy to draw his tats.

It was all so ill-planned that it lost me.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »
    So - does he still wear a long sleeved tee-shirt? I thought it was hillarious how he was in panama and was always wearing full length shirts/hoodies because they were too lazy to draw his tats.

It was all so ill-planned that it lost me.

That was all figured out. The government paid to get his tattoos removed so he wouldn't be spotted so easily when trying to bring down The Company®.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I hope he gets some new ones instead. Like, for the break-in.

EddieDean on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

Mahone was the only reason I saw season 2! He is pure awesome!

Now I'll just have to wait 6 or so months before they start airing season 4 in europe..

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot