As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Google Chrome: Google builds an OPERATING SYSTEM! (p34)

1232425262729»

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Chromium OS is for people who don't know how to do a damned thing on their machine except click the E-Mail icon or the big blue E on the desktop, which pretty much excludes everyone on this forum. Yes, it has a huge target market, we just are not in it.

Great point. We kinda need to remember that we, as a community, are a *little* bit ahead of the tech curve.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    Chromium OS is for people who don't know how to do a damned thing on their machine except click the E-Mail icon or the big blue E on the desktop, which pretty much excludes everyone on this forum. Yes, it has a huge target market, we just are not in it.

Great point. We kinda need to remember that we, as a community, are a *little* bit ahead of the tech curve.

Oh I understand that completely.

But lets face it, everyone, with the advent of iPods, everyone has a music collection.

The question has to be what about when you are out and about without an internet connection? Say on a plane without wifi?

One of the reasons I want a netbook is that it is low powered and would be useful when I need to leave something on overnight to download which I can later stick onto my main computer. What is more practical here, something who's processor is something like 5 watts or something with a 500 watt power supply?

It just seems asinine to not allow basic storage on the device, I mean sure you can watch youtube videos but what if you want to watch something at a higher quality? Or again? are you expected to re-download again slowing down whatever network you are on?

Blake T on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I still can't wrap my head around the complete absence of local storage

I mean, I would be fine with Googe Docs abstracting through a browser interface, but having my computer suddenly turn useless when my internet goes out...

I dunno, I don't see myself ever wanting something so extreme.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I honestly think that there is a real market for "power users" with netbooks. I know that is a bit of an oxymoron as power user is usually associated with hi end PC's and stuff. But I see them as lightweight computers that are extremely good of doing a set number of things, these things are all low processing applications like word, playing music and (SD) video, downloading and surfing the net on a couch.

Playing old school games to me, if just a bonus. If I want to use something that requires more grunt I will hope onto a more expensive desktop PC.

Chrome OS seems to only want to do two of what I wanted to do easily and that is surf the internet and send emails. I feel comfortable saying while everyone may not necessarily want to download files, do want to watch videos and listen to music and that is not in a power user category.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I mean, I would be fine with Googe Docs abstracting through a browser interface, but having my computer suddenly turn useless when my internet goes out...

It also creates the funny situation where if the power goes out you can't access your files at all despite being on a laptop because your router still needs an external power source to run.

Blake T on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

It also creates the funny situation where if the power goes out you can't access your files at all despite being on a laptop because your router still needs an external power source to run.

I thought they had some concept of a local cache. Is that just for applications?

Also, this doesn't seem like as much of an issue because of the whole "complimentary" device concept. If you are using this as your primary means of accessing your documents, you are doing it wrong.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Google Gears does allow local Google Docs storage.

And someone already mentioned earlier in this thread that you can apt-get apps, that functionality is just hidden.

theSquid on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

In that case you could just forgo the router and plug your computer in directly

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

In that case you could just forgo the router and plug your computer in directly
    W-what? How would this work?

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Don't think of me as a hero; I'm just doing my job.

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I asked you a question, sir.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    it was a pretty clear statement

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Unless I've misread it completely, I just don't understand how it'd work. Phone cable straight into netbook?

Cyvros on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    back up dialup or built in cell capability (ie kindle)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ahhh, that would make sense. Thanks. I hope to God they don't resort to putting a 56k modem in their machines. D:

Cyvros on