As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Foods You Ate

2»

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Down below Pike Place Market there's a really good authentic mexican restaurant called El Puerco Lloron

I had lunch there today. Damn good tacos (they make their own tortillas by hand daily) and they have imported Mexican Coke with real sugar if that's your cup of tea.

Check them out next time you're in town.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I made some fairly poor food decisions over the week, including the 20 oz porterhouse at Outback and the Great Wall of Chocolate cake at PF Chang's. The second one was especially ill-advised, but if you know of the cake let me just say I ate it all in one sitting, mint and all.

Pb on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pb wrote: »
    I made some fairly poor food decisions over the week, including the 20 oz porterhouse at Outback and the Great Wall of Chocolate cake at PF Chang's. The second one was especially ill-advised, but if you know of the cake let me just say I ate it all in one sitting, mint and all.

You sir, are all that is man. I bow before the sheer capacity of your stomach.

But yes, eating either one of those by yourself (let alone in one sitting) is a sure fire way for indigestion to come a calling.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited September 2008
    Pb wrote: »

I'm now imagining you as a slight teenage girl with bulimia going to the bathroom after each binge and sticking your finger down your throat

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I went and had a 90$ seafood dinner at the pier(myself and gf). It was damned good. My only regret is not getting the king crab instead of the salmon filet.

Viscountalpha on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Stand-outs for me were Specialty's Cafe for breakfast, snacks and pastries--their cookies are the best thing ever when you stagger back to the hotel room and need to eat something before crashing. Big loaded breakfast sandwiches are also great there--hot, fresh made, on buns they baked there, under $5.

The chowder place at the top of Pacific Place is also a great place to go for something hot to soothe sore throats.

Wild Ginger, while not cheap, was really nice for fusion-style asian food. I really wanted a nice plate of phad thai, which they don't make, but everything we tried was delicious.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • chloelikesihopchloelikesihop Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    one meal a day. day 1: taco del mar. day 2: taco del mar. day 3: really excellent and cheap pizza from a little place a couple blocks away from the center. excellent.

chloelikesihop on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We really tried to deliver the most value that we could, and it's no secret that my wife and I are food snobs of a sort.

We are all snobs in some sense....Just like I am a Hotel snob. Four-Star or bust!

Anywho! Speaking of Hotels...I do say that the crab cakes were rather tasty from room service at the Sheraton--or at least that's what The Boyfriend said.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Altima NEOAltima NEO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Didnt realize there was a Pita Pit in Seattle. We got one in Portland too

Altima NEO on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pita Pits must be everywhere. There's one here in Casa Grande, Arizona.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Never heard of it here in Northern California...

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • DoctorLennyDoctorLenny Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arco wrote: »
    The chili dog in the back of the expo hall at that little snack bar type place was... a chili dog. It wrecked the shit out of my stomach. I had two.

Also, they have very good real (meat) hot dogs at Stoney's, the pinball/retro arcade somewhere in Seattle. We walked there, took about 20 minutes. Not far at all. Good pinball.

Do you mean Shorty's down on 2nd Ave? They've got great hot dogs, awesome pinball and alcoholic slurpees. It's one of my favorite haunts.

Once upon a time they used to sell the Shorty's hang-over special at opening time. A bloody mary, hot dog and single cigarette for $6

DoctorLenny on
  • SWATJesterSWATJester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The stratics team had a group dinner at Mortons of Chicago. If anyone's been to Mortons before, that speaks for itself.

Also, I went to the mall on Sunday and ate at the all you can eat sushi buffet place on the top floor....it wasn't bad. Plus it had a chocolate fountain.

SWATJester on
    Moderator, PAX Prime 08, 09, 10, 10-East, panels on "Legal Issues in Gaming"
    Contributing Editor, http://www.gamepolitics.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I skipped more than a few meals in favour of beer.

It was super-effective.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't remember what it was called, but I on I think Sunday night I ate with the guys from Ars Technica at this nice bar and grill at the mall. I had pasta with a very light tomato sauce with sausage, shrimp, and some other good stuff. I was pleased. Sucked being the only person under 21 though. :( I'll be 21 next PAX though.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
    edited September 2008

hell yes, I am down with pita pit

dagwood with jalapeno ranch and I have them grill the shrooms with the meat

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • 2VipeRS2VipeRS Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Never heard of it here in Northern California...
    We have a few in North Dakota!!!!

2VipeRS on
    '08 & '09 CCST Survivor (just barely)
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Went to the Union Grill for dinner Saturday night, and it was delicious. Had some Calimari and some seared Ahi Tuna. Service was a little lacking, but it seemed to just be our waitress.

Went to the Palomino Sunday night. Service was terrible. My food was "meh".

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    As for the eating in Seattle, PAX itself ate up so much time that I didn't get to venture too far.

Best find other than Specialties for breakfast (had all three ciabatta breakfast sandwiches which rocked) was Logan's Deli. Right around the corner from Specialties was a basement restaurant/cafe. After what seemed like delving down into the pits of hell (a video will be posted of how freaky it is), you find a mom and pop Japanese curry stand. $5 for a bowl of curry rice (huge bowl) and 5 gyoza with pickled veggies. It was amazing. Next year, I am taking everyone there to drive up their business. And they were super friendly.

MaoChan on
  • Altima NEOAltima NEO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmm interesting. From the looks of the Pita Pit in downtown Portland, I would have thought it was an indie place, not a chain.

Altima NEO on
    edited September 2008
    Druhim wrote: »

hell yes, I am down with pita pit

dagwood with jalapeno ranch and I have them grill the shrooms with the meat
    Sounds good. I've never had the Dagwood, I always get the crave unless their special looks good.

Transparent on
    edited September 2008
    And to get this thread back on track: I don't think I had a bad meal the entire time I was in Seattle. I wasn't as adventurous as I planned, I went with the flow and it worked out pretty well. The only bad experience I had was walking out of Moby's because we got tired of waiting for someone to take our order. Here are some of the highlights.

We got great pizza delivered to our hotel room from Milano Pizza and Pasta. Good stuff. I loved the pizza we got with salmon and capers, and the traditional meat one was really good too. They deliver to the hotels late, which was great after getting off of the train after midnight. As an added bonus the guy who usually takes your order speaks like a text to speech robot. It's creepy. This is the pizza we are eating in TimeCruiserMike's videos.

I had a decent pork chop with a spicy chutney garnish at Pike's Bar and Grill. I think there are multiple establishments with similar names, this was all the way up to 12th street on Pike. This place has a split menu of bar food like wings and burgers, and comfort foods like pork chops and meatloaf. It was a little too rustic to be considered a gastropub, but it was good food and a place to have a nice dinner with some friends.

I had a great dim sum breakfast with several forumers at Honey Court. They come around with carts that have little plates of good things to eat, you tell them what you want, and everyone shares. There were at least 8 of us and we ate well for around $40 total. Props to ElectricTurtle and Astayonix for organizing, and VT for paying with his Bioware money. It was great to meet everyone who attended since I missed out on the pre-PAX stuff.

Finally, I had a great meal at the Taphouse. I don't normally drink much beer, so I had no idea what I like. So I picked the international sampler, which was four small glasses of different beers. Turns out I like stout beers the best. Also the waiter was very knowledgeable about the beers they serve and was happy to answer questions. I ordered a She Devil (I think) sushi roll as an appetizer, and had the Salmon Burger as my main. Both were delicious. The menu was expansive "something for everyone" style (sushi, tacos, pasta, steaks, seafood, etc). Everything looked good and since this place is half a block from the convention center that style of menu makes sense. Made it a great choice for a group meal.

Transparent on
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The only bad experience I had was walking out of Moby's because we got tired of waiting for someone to take our order.

You may have been the ones to inspire us to walk out too. In fairness, they did warn us that we could sit, but it would be a wait, but it was just too long after a while without even water brought to the table. We were there when the pikachu girl was there.

I ate at the Taphouse and enjoyed my drinks and food (mahi), but a friend who got noodles found them to be undercooked.

I had a lunch crepe and it was OK, but I think I'd prefer a desert crepe.

Best experiences were at the Sheraton's Daily Grill and at a little coffee/muffin shop a block or two further away than the Taphouse. Some of the friendliest people in there...

DJBreslin on
  • MandaristaMandarista Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know, I've heard that Seattle has some really good seafood places..... Especially sushi.
    I love sushi.... <3
    I tried to get some of my friends to go out for sushi with me last year, but I'm really the only one that even likes any seafood besides my sister, and she and I didn't want to walk from the convention center to wherever it was these restaurants were supposed to be at by ourselves.

I'd had several places recommended to me, but they were a bit too far - plus, neither of us really knows our way around the city, so we'd just end up hopelessly lost.....

This year though, I was flat out broke, so "nice" places to eat were (almost) totally off limits - yay cheap fast food and the pop-tarts I stashed in the trunk and brought with me.... Not! :P
    I did splurge Friday night and got a delicious buffalo chicken burger from some sports bar, though I don't remember the name of the place now - that was enough to kill my wallet right there.

Hopefully next year I get to actually eat something at these "super awesome" (and equally expensive) sushi restaurants I keep hearing about....
    Especially since where I live, the few places that have sushi at all make people used to eating "the good stuff" make funny faces and not ever want to order seconds.... I guess it's just not as popular on the east side of the state.

Hey, a girl can dream of good sushi, can't she?
    Mmmm.... Wasabi.....

Mandarista on
    Screw Frodo..... TASSLEHOFF LIVES!
    edited September 2008
    Speaking of that, I've never eaten at a place good enough to serve real wasabi instead of green colored horseradish. I need to fix that.

Transparent on
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Speaking of that, I've never eaten at a place good enough to serve real wasabi instead of green colored horseradish. I need to fix that.

It is rare even in Japan. I've never seen a restaurant that serves it. Then again, you probably have to ask and I haven't.

DJBreslin on
  • katherine_84fkatherine_84f Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You definitely have to ask for the fresh wasabi. There are several restaurants in Chicago that serve it, some more reliably than others. Most don't even promote it - you just have to know, I guess.

katherine_84f on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Georgio's Subs was the shit, why is there no love for Georgio's in this thread? Way better than Subway, and the line was shorter too. I must have hit that place up at least 3 times this year.

Azio on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    Georgio's Subs was the shit, why is there no love for Georgio's in this thread? Way better than Subway, and the line was shorter too. I must have hit that place up at least 3 times this year.

Every time I wanted to eat there, they were closed.

SlickShughes on
This discussion has been closed.