Options

The Good bands/The bad bands/The bands you might want to see next year?

• Options
    ineptbeermanineptbeerman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ermm... it might just be me, but I'm not really into the whole nerdocore thing. I think there's some golden nuggets, but on the whole it just seems too much like they're trying way too hard to make it nerdy at the cost of the music...

So why not extend the horizons a bit? I noticed a thread asking for Weird Al, brilliant! I loved the mention of Flight of the Concords. How about Devo? The band that made being a nerd cool. Super Furry Animals? Beck(I know he was in town this Pax weekend for bumbershoot... whatever, fuck bumbershoot)? There are so many nerdy bands that could and may even want to play our favorite festival, lets think outside the nerdcore.... that's all I'm saying.

ineptbeerman on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's kinda funny people mention Weird Al, because he played at the Evergreen State Fair a few days before PAX (For those that don't know, it's probably around an hour or so drive from Seattle), though it would be cool to actually get him at PAX some time. I also still think Dethklok would be a descent addition if we want to expand it a bit.

PAX should seriously "rent out" a nearby venue for the concerts, like El Corazon or The Showbox. I'm not saying they're the greatest venues (Showbox is pretty good) but anything would be better then hearing them inside the convention center.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Freezepop was good.

BUT ONLY IF YOU WERE DANCING!

SUCKERS!

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The bad: Frontalot as always. I just can't stand him or his "music" at all. Optimus Rhyme or GTFO

The good: One Ups/JoCo/Minibosses. One Ups are quickly rising as one of my favorite groups, JoCo is just an amazing talent in the form of a human being, and the Minibosses felt better than last year since the acoustics were much better this year. All-in-all they were the highlights.

Seriously though, my major complaint is everyone singing OVER JoCo (at least from where I was) when he was up there. I can understand singing along with Still Alive, or the chant part of re: Your Brains, but every word of every popular song just drowns him out.

I better put on a +1 flame resist tunic...

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    El Corazon is an awesome place to see a show... Its totally a dive, but I love it. But that's a great idea, not only does it open up the expo to the rest of the city it opens the city up to the expo.

ineptbeerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    El Corazon is an awesome place to see a show... Its totally a dive, but I love it. But that's a great idea, not only does it open up the expo to the rest of the city it opens the city up to the expo.

I don't really support this idea. Most people have no other means of transportation but to walk at PAX. Even if the chosen venue were close, late at night at 3am there were few enough people at the Minibosses concert that I think that number would dwindle down if it wasn't in the same venue.

You need to be able to wander in and out, based on when you finish tournaments, dinner, or panels. This is just a really really bad idea. Having the Annex was great, since it was right across the street and still part of the convention center. This would just be inconvenient.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah... we nerds are a lazy bunch, but come on, its a ten minute walk to El Corazon. It would be good to make everyone walk a few blocks. Nothing downtown is inconvenient relative to the convention center. To say otherwise is just lazy.

I think we need to take over the city for the 72(ish) hour we have. Make the whole damn place bow to pax, even it that means (gasp) we have to walk a few blocks.

ineptbeerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah... we nerds are a lazy bunch, but come on, its a ten minute walk to El Corazon. It would be good to make everyone walk a few blocks. Nothing downtown is inconvenient relative to the convention center. To say otherwise is just lazy.

I think we need to take over the city for the 72(ish) hour we have. Make the whole damn place bow to pax, even it that means (gasp) we have to walk a few blocks.

Say it all you want. Not that I disagree with you, but let's be realistic. It's going to chase some people away. I think the small crowd that stayed through the entire Minibosses concert was really pathetically small. I think they should play earlier in the night so they get a bigger crowd.

If MC What's-his-face is so popular, let him draw the 3am crowd. That way I can see my band and go to sleep.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    Riggz13Riggz13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I caught the last 3-4 songs from Freezepop this year, which turned out to be perfect. Last year I couldn't stand it, but this time knowing I was already near the end made it great! Really enjoyed it. I was really glad to see The OneUps again this year, they ruled again. JoCo was great although none of my friends agreed with me, those guys can jump off a bridge for reals though.

Came in for the last half of Animana--animani--ani-not gonna work here any more (couldn't resist). Enjoyed them too, I had no idea what to expect. Don't think I could have handled much more then what I saw though. Skipped Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, and most of MC Frontalot's set because I just don't care for him. Optimus Rhyme or bust for me it would seem. And The Minibosses are who I came for the 3rd year in a row. As always they ruled, and really put on a much better show then they did last year when they all seemed kind of pissy.

As for next year I'd like to see Wheelie's solo project if Optimus is truly done. And it'd be terrific if we didn't even pretend MC Chris was going to show up, fuck that guy, he's not invited.

Riggz13 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, they should make a "not invited" post for MC Chris like they did for Fatal1ty. That would be tight.

I think they have a great lineup here. The only nerdy group they could add (which would blow my fucking mind off) would be Dethklok.

DO ANYTHING FOR DETHKLOK.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, they should make a "not invited" post for MC Chris like they did for Fatal1ty. That would be tight.

I think they have a great lineup here. The only nerdy group they could add (which would blow my fucking mind off) would be Dethklok.

DO ANYTHING FOR DETHKLOK.

I second that entire post. XD

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    thicketsthickets Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets
    Photo Copyright Adam PW Smith - http://www.adampwsmith.com
    adampwsmith-pax-jump.jpg
    adampwsmith-pax-toren.jpg
    adampwsmith-pax-guitars.jpg
    adampwsmith-pax-jordan.jpg
    adampwsmith-pax-calamario.jpg
    for your enjoyment.
    www.thickets.net

thickets on
    -Toren Atkinson
    lead singer The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets
    game designer Spaceship Zero the RPG
    voice actor Sword of the Stars
    on screen actor Stargate Atlantis: "Midway"
    illustrator d20 Cthulhu; D&D Freeport
    comic artist Secret Files of the World Wildlife Federation of Justice
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That last picture looks like AB from the minibosses, lol.

By the way, everyone knows that Rockband's new track releases this week were all PAX bands right? JoCo (got), Thickets (skipped), and Frontalot (hissed at then skipped).

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah a friend of mine downloaded the pack, I'll have to play it when he comes up this weekend. I'm only looking forward to JoCo's track, but they all could be fun... just have to wait and see

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i had crazy fun dancing to freezepop, not saying they are awesome, but i had an awesome time. the one ups were good to listen to, not really entertaining, and jonathan coulton is just amazing.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was really disappointed in myself--and I was kicking my ass on the way back to the hotel room--that I did not stay for Jonathan...I fell in love with that man when I watched the '07 DVD.

...But whomever was doing the camera for Freezepop must have watched too much Cloverfield. TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO shaky. All the other bands--when it came to the camera--were good; but I had to chill in the back with the DS/PSP(I only saw one there the WHOLE convention)/Lappy/Phone kids.

EDIT TO ADD
    Moshing....yeeeeaaaahhh. Not a good idea.
    And I kinda felt sorry for the girlfriend of the drunkard who was trying to mosh during Anamanaguchi. She tried her best to control him...not so much, though.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Say it all you want. Not that I disagree with you, but let's be realistic. It's going to chase some people away. I think the small crowd that stayed through the entire Minibosses concert was really pathetically small. I think they should play earlier in the night so they get a bigger crowd.

If MC What's-his-face is so popular, let him draw the 3am crowd. That way I can see my band and go to sleep.

Maybe you're right, like I said I'm not really into the whole nerdcore thing. On Friday this year, specifically, I was in my friend's living room screaming back and forth with my friend whether or not Queen was the greatest rock and roll band ever over the Sparks. I said Queen, he said Sparks. Anyways, I just say let get some better music at Pax, and as much as you all may love nerdcore lets not limit ourselves, there are other bands who would fit brilliantly.

ineptbeerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    And let's not adopt the idea of putting the concerts in a different venue, as to not encroach on the idea of going in and out freely.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    ...But whomever was doing the camera for Freezepop must have watched too much Cloverfield. TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO shaky.

Umm... yeah, the tripod was too short to see above people heads especially when they're all jumping and flailing their arms, so we had it up on a chair most of the time, which got great views, but wouldn't stay still. Though that was mostly caused by the douche fags jumping and dancing on the chairs right next to it... We had to hang on to the thing the whole time either way so there wasn't much we could do... We'll be sure these "mistakes" don't happen again next year, for we'll have much better equipment.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    ...But whomever was doing the camera for Freezepop must have watched too much Cloverfield. TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO shaky.

Umm... yeah, the tripod was too short to see above people heads especially when they're all jumping and flailing their arms, so we had it up on a chair most of the time, which got great views, but wouldn't stay still. Though that was mostly caused by the douche fags jumping and dancing on the chairs right next to it... We had to hang on to the thing the whole time either way so there wasn't much we could do... We'll be sure these "mistakes" don't happen again next year, for we'll have much better equipment.

Thank you! ^_^

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    MustinMustin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Friends,

Thank you for the love. We love playing for you all. Best crowd in the world = PAX!

We hope to come back next year with all sorts of delicious radness for you. Keep up with our MySpace and Forum to let us know what you want to hear.

Nobody does it better than you do, baby.

PAX!

Mustin on
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are the Minibosses somehow 'grandfathered in' to performing at PAX simply because they've been around so long? No disrespect to any fans here, but I find their arrangements to be quite uninspired, their playing sluggish, and the audience response largely apathetic. People do get excited during their performances, but it usually lasts all of about the first three nostalgic seconds after recognizing a particular melody as they begin a song, before they inevitably grind it into meaninglessness with their gratuitous use of 3rd harmony. In the viciously competitive, relatively saturated scene of game music adaptation, in the face of so much surfacing talent and vitriol, each year I'm quietly surprised to see such a stagnant act coming back.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Post Blue wrote: »
    Are the Minibosses somehow 'grandfathered in' to performing at PAX simply because they've been around so long? No disrespect to any fans here, but I find their arrangements to be quite uninspired, their playing sluggish, and the audience response largely apathetic.

I agree with you about all of that except for the audience response. They played really late, which could be the main reason why their crowd had dwindled to such a degree by the time they took the stage. The people that were there were really into it-- at least where I was standing, which was right by the stage. Most of the folks up there were jumping up and down, shouting along with the songs. It's a very surreal experience, being surrounded by folks excitedly shouting the password theme from Mega Man 2...

But yeah, I'd like to see someone other than the Minibosses next year. I didn't like Anamanaguchi, for example, but I had never seen them before, and I appreciated the opportunity to hear their unique sound live. Being able to discover even more acts I didn't know about before is an exciting prospect.

Nijhazer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nijhazer wrote:
    I agree with you about all of that except for the audience response. They played really late, which could be the main reason why their crowd had dwindled to such a degree by the time they took the stage. The people that were there were really into it-- at least where I was standing, which was right by the stage. Most of the folks up there were jumping up and down, shouting along with the songs. It's a very surreal experience, being surrounded by folks excitedly shouting the password theme from Mega Man 2...
    Fair enough. There was some energy, but it didn't seem like the genuine sort of excitment I felt between other acts and the audience. I don't know, the way they perform, their creative stasis... I get this feeling like they only see eachother once a year.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mustin wrote: »
    Friends,

Thank you for the love. We love playing for you all. Best crowd in the world = PAX!

We hope to come back next year with all sorts of delicious radness for you. Keep up with our MySpace and Forum to let us know what you want to hear.

Nobody does it better than you do, baby.

PAX!

Write several new songs every year (so the set doesn't get old), and you'll be my best friend.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    Are the Minibosses somehow 'grandfathered in' to performing at PAX simply because they've been around so long? No disrespect to any fans here, but I find their arrangements to be quite uninspired, their playing sluggish, and the audience response largely apathetic.

But yeah, I'd like to see someone other than the Minibosses next year. I didn't like Anamanaguchi, for example, but I had never seen them before, and I appreciated the opportunity to hear their unique sound live. Being able to discover even more acts I didn't know about before is an exciting prospect.

Agreed on the "late" point. I was so tired at that point that I decided to sit down in one of the chairs in the back. I BARELY clapped at the end of each song, let alone got all excited and riled up during each. It was ONLY because I was tired, not because I was any less enthusiastic about it.

We should stop having the Minibosses late, after we've already been at it for hours. Have them open one night next year and we'll move on. But I don't think they should be off the ticket. They are one of my favorites for sure, and I don't get sick of hearing their tracks.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    Nerd TraumaNerd Trauma Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, am I the only one here that actually did not like ANY part of the Minibosses? They came off as a pissed off bunch of guys who aren't really enjoying what they play anymore and complained about playing so late.

Also, their music was unimpressive at best...in my opinion of course >_>

Nerd Trauma on
  • Options
    LondubhLondubh Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    I feel the same way about Freezepop, they're definitely a crowd favorite. Liz's voice seemed a lot different this year then last year, which was odd, but they still rocked. I just think the people running the soundboard were not paying any attention. Same with whoever was in control of the lights... I almost wanted to go down to El Corazon on Saturday night to see them again and find out if they sound a lot better down there or not, but I never did..

Well, they didn't have the techies ignoring them for durring the songs like at PAX, but they almost need to have their own sound guy; neither night were the vocal tracks perfectly intelligible, though i think it was better Saturday.

To be fair, Sean & Liz don't seem to know the threshold distance for the mic, and it's not The Duke's fault that his mic kept cutting in and out (at pax, it was fine at El Corazon)

Londubh on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So, am I the only one here that actually did not like ANY part of the Minibosses?
    No, of course not. I just don't think many of them vocalize it.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    People do get excited during their performances, but it usually lasts all of about the first three nostalgic seconds after recognizing a particular melody as they begin a song...

I lost my voice screaming along and jumping up and down backstage while the Bosses were playing.

I don't know about you all but I thought the Minibosses really brought the heat this year. I think this was their best, tightest show ever. Their fingers are monsterous and you can't deny them their technical skills that pay the bills. Plus hearing "Batman" and "Pro Wrestling" just killed me.

They reminded me why they've been around for so long - because they ROCK.

Write several new songs every year (so the set doesn't get old), and you'll be my best friend.

You got it, friend!

Mustin on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't know about you all but I thought the Minibosses really brought the heat this year. I think this was their best, tightest show ever. Their fingers are monsterous and you can't deny them their technical skills that pay the bills. Plus hearing "Batman" and "Pro Wrestling" just killed me.

Something about the Minibosses, can't quite put my finger on it, but compared to the other PAX bands I've seen they really don't seem as interested in what they're doing. Maybe it's just that every time I've seen them, they played last, and were really tired by that point. They were more spirited than when I saw them in 2006, and (from what I've heard) more spirited than their 2007 PAX showing as well; but that's not saying much... and from where I was standing, they really sounded awful. Could have been their amps, could have been the guitar, could have just been the acoustics of the room; who knows.

Nijhazer on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nijhazer wrote: »

Something about the Minibosses, can't quite put my finger on it, but compared to the other PAX bands I've seen they really don't seem as interested in what they're doing. Maybe it's just that every time I've seen them, they played last, and were really tired by that point. They were more spirited than when I saw them in 2006, and (from what I've heard) more spirited than their 2007 PAX showing as well; but that's not saying much... and from where I was standing, they really sounded awful. Could have been their amps, could have been the guitar, could have just been the acoustics of the room; who knows.

I've watched some of their videos online, and I think it's really just because the music that they're playing is so technically challenging. Listen to their songs and imagine what it's like to play the music that furiously fast, then ask yourself if you could do it while jumping up and down, rocking out, interacting with the crowd, etc. I've watched videos of The Advantage who do a very similar gig, and they're also kind of boring to watch. The music is amazing, the showmanship isn't there, and I think it's because they're fucking focused.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i'm really surprised that darkest of the hillside thickets isn't being tossed around much (besides the rockin' images from their lead singer...). they were easily the best general rock band that played and had the best stage presence - pax could do with a lot more of those types of bands and less tribute bands. then again, i was blown away when the oneups[/B. covered the diablo 3 trailer theme for their encore. what a pick.

anamanaguchi and joco were my other two favorites.

i'd humbly throw out nintendocore cutups horse the band as contenders for the pax '09 stage, but i'm not sure how well-received their music would be. still, it'd be great to hear them play "birdo" live.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I didn't have any problem with the Minibosses except for it being as late as it was. I enjoy listening to the music, I just had to force myself to stay there so I could get the whole thing filmed. I was really out of it and had a hard time even focusing and paying attention to what they were playing, and I think that may have been similar to the problems other people were having.

Either way I will always welcome the Minibosses at PAX, though the Friday lineup of the OneUps, Freezepop, and JoCo will always be my favorites. And props to Mustin for being on the forums and keeping in touch with the community, you're fucking awesome! And thanks for posting my video on your Myspace page, my crew is quite happy about that, lol.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    EonBlueEonBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JoCo was extremely awesome. He was worth the event pass alone, heck he would be worth the price of admission twice over at least.

OneUps were also excellent.

Freezepop either did their songs well or badly. It seemed like whoever was on their soundboard had no idea what was going on for the first half of the show. Final countdown/less talk more rokk was excellent but it usually is.

Saturday nights concerts I didn't really like so I skipped it to watch some apocalypse movies!

I know last year the concerts were played through a vent server in the PC room, did that happen this year? That was a good feature. (WTB quake in the PC room)

EonBlue on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thanks Coldbrew!

Mustin on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    People do get excited during their performances, but it usually lasts all of about the first three nostalgic seconds after recognizing a particular melody as they begin a song...

I lost my voice screaming along and jumping up and down backstage while the Bosses were playing.

They reminded me why they've been around for so long - because they ROCK.

You got it, friend!

BTW, Moar Super Nintendo!

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You got it, friend!
    BTW, Moar Super Nintendo!

Agreed. This probably isn't the best place for requests; but someday I'd love to hear these tunes performed by The OneUps or The Minibosses at PAX... All links are to MIDI files:

Actraiser - Fillmore

Little Nemo - Battle with the Nightmare King

Alundra - Kline's Nightmare

Super R-Type - Solitary Flight - If The OneUps ever did this one I think I would probably dissolve

Ahh, man, I love video game soundtracks. Then again, who am I to say what songs would sound good in the hands of these guys... I was never really fond of any of the music in Super Mario Bros. 2, let alone the underground theme, but that's my favorite track off of the new OneUps album.

Nijhazer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well 1 or 2 more tracks from games that EVERYONE has played (such as Mario, Megaman, Castlevania, Sonic, Donkey Kong Country, those kinds) wouldn't hurt either. Though I love the tracks that are from games I never played, it adds moar nostalgia for me when it's a track I recognize.

BTW, Altered Beast anyone? RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE! Dah Dah Dahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, dah dah dah daaaaaaaah daaaah daaaah daaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Me likes Super NES.

LOTS

Make a new thread saying what you want to hear from us! After two years of bringing the heat, we'd like for our fans to dictate what they want to hear for next year's show.

New The OneUps thread. Stay on target here. re:...

I'm very sorry to not have been able to see the rest of the Friday concerts being tied up in the Queue room doing autographs (which was great!). But I did get to hear, through the wall, Freezepop and the radness of The Final Countdown, along with JoCo Rick Rolling the audience and hearing a bit of "Still Alive" with Felicia Day (both whom which are big sweethearts).

I'm very much looking forward to a professional DVD that has all of the concerts this year because I have a feeling it is going to made of gold-laden win.

Who else would I like to see?

DETHKLOK
    ARMCANNON
    Select Start
    They Might Be Giants
    Weird Al
    and of course...

Rick Ross

Mustin on
This discussion has been closed.