As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Whole Kit and Ka-Doodle

• GuyzGuyz Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Lly-- I really like your lines; they're clean and they seem solid. I can't help but wonder what the character would look like with larger eyes tho'... still, she's pretty cute!

ButchersBlind-- Oh, that's awesome! XD Are you a fan of H.R. Geiger by any chance? Hmm... it just made me think of him for some reason.

multimoog-- Just speed drawing, really. I Put down large strokes on different layers then carve away at them using the Eraser Tool. ^^

(Basically, I try to see how much I can get done in 1 hour.)

manyarms-1.jpg

I was feeling rather unispired this morning. <.< Lighting and Perspective practice, maybes?

Guyz on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Some color. (this is actual size, btw)

punker03.png

Needs help. Any advice???

Sublimus on
  • PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    untitled1wn8.jpg

mmm...gasy...

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Wait... did you knead that in your tub?
    Take a bite and find out...

Heh heh heh...
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Does that apron say "Blow the Cook"?
    Maaaaybe. Keep up the furricide, tis a noble endeavour.

Deans on
  • RedaxxeRedaxxe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Here is some Tycho fanart. I'm going to be doing a bit of animation with him and these are my first sketches. Just trying to get his face down. My favorite is where he is pissed off and holding the nerf. Critiques please?

img002.jpg

(sorry for the crappy scan)

Redaxxe on
  • GuyzGuyz Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hey, these are really good! The eyes are perfect. I'd say you're ready to animate.

Guyz on
  • SlyeguySlyeguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    animation is far too much drawing of the same thing for my taste, but you seem to have captured what you wanted to do, but can you draw a whole person, over and over and over and love it? heh, illustration ftw =P

just a quicky in OC for a future project id like to do
    Luxar1.jpg

and still keeping up with the digi-painting
    DaydreamtheoryCoverartBACKPNT.jpg

C&C always good :^:

Slyeguy on
    Evebanner.jpg
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    spartan2webnj9.jpg

-SPI- on
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Unfinished fanart that I was planning on shading and animated :/ But school and laziness started.

holo5.png

McAllen on
  • Hellbound 17 1/2Hellbound 17 1/2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I finally got a chance to color this (damn you work and school! why must you eat all of my time?!). I tried to play with the light source and realized that I need to do some light studies along with basic face studies.

Wired%20Head%20Painted.jpg

Hellbound 17 1/2 on
  • CoffeE_BuzzZCoffeE_BuzzZ Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    another one of my "i got bored drawings" ...yes i know about the arms and feet.

fairychickcolor1.jpg

CoffeE_BuzzZ on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited September 2006
    You may want to consider light sources when you color in the future. It will make your work much more dynamic.

Grifter on
  • Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    230906sketch.jpg

I'm so excited for the Borat-movie XD

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    more contrast.
    this looked a little darker in photoshop. dunno what's up with that.
    sister_salvation_paint2.jpg

time to move on.

Ravenshadow on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This sucks. I have a copious amount of artwork from classes that I'd love to post, but none of it will fit in my damn scanner. And out of everything, everything that I've done, this little doodle I did last night in my free time is the only thing I can scan without butchering it.Mad.gif

Cicerone.jpg

Buckwolfe on
  • Penguin-FactoryPenguin-Factory Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Argh, even my doodles look crap compared to you art ninjas :lol:

Must keep improving......

img005yg2.jpg

Dammit, Imageshack is being stupid, I have another few pages of stuff (all of which is slightly better than this).

Anyway, this is a fairly old page of doodles. Notice the mis-matched eyes on the face of the central image- I still have loads of trouble with that.

EDIT: Okay, that wa ssupposed to be way bigger..... must have accidentally zoomed out in photoshop.

Penguin-Factory on
  • EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    spiralout.jpg

Ehmavisca on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Trying to take this anatomy stuff seriously.

anatomy_practice.jpg

MagicToaster on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    just doodlin'
    clownbobble.jpg

Edit: I was really lazy on the bottom, gonna change it.

Prospicience on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    crapscan3.jpg
    crapscan2.jpg
    crapscan.jpg

I swear, all my scanner does all day is think of new ways to suck dick

Greatnation on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It's really hard to tell what's going on in some of those pictures. Either your lines are too light or your scanner really does suck floppy wang.

Godfather on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Ok, let me first of all apologize for being an ass. It was irresponsible of me to let my temper go like that.

I can see Greatnation's lines pretty well if I lower the screen brightness.

Is this guy too short?
    guardlit.jpg

Tam on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I don't believe so. He seems to apply to the seven (or eight) heads rule, so you're probably in the clear.

Godfather on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Tam wrote:
    Ok, let me first of all apologize for being an ass. It was irresponsible of me to let my temper go like that.

I can see Greatnation's lines pretty well if I lower the screen brightness.

Is this guy too short?
    nah what godfater said, he seems 8 heads high. And damn creepy too. I like it.

Prospicience on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Cool, thanks guys. Though now I think his pecs are too big.

Tam on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    omg

17doodle.jpg
    18doodle.jpg
    19doodle.jpg
    20doodle.jpg

NSFW,

My first life drawing session thing.
    1lifedraw.jpg
    2lifedraw.jpg
    3lifedraw.jpg

Iruka on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    those are damned impressive Iruka.

I figured out what was wrong with my scanner, also. The paper is way to thin, and the lines get washed out in the light. I will replace the ones above with new scans tomorrow, as I think if i put a peice of watercolor paper on the back when i scan, it should help that out.

Anyway, I did ink one just now

inked.jpg

nighty night

Greatnation on
  • hunterbhunterb Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    great figure drawings iruka. the first one is most impressive. very nice sense of weight and the pose looks very natural.

whats sticks out the most are the bold lines around the figures. it looks like you might have gone over the outlines several times trying to get it just right.

just remember line variation and quality while you draw. work on more confident strokes that really help convey the light hitting the models skin. for example, in the last drawing the bold lines on the underside of the torso are good. theres even some variation to really show where the form is turning in. however, you should probably get rid of most or all of the linework on the left breast, which seems to be catching a lot of light.

shading surrounding the figure can be tricky too. again, in the last drawing, you have most of it at the top, but the light seems to be coming from that side. it would make more sense to have a shadow on the floor closer to us. you can add a tiny bit of it on the top side to define the outline if you were going to completely leave out linework on that part.

if youre just going over the same outlines because you dont know what else to do, trying varying up technique. block out the silouette of the figure with midtone, then add shadow with some charcoal or conte. work in light with an eraser or chalk/white conte.

try breaking the figure down into simple forms to work on believable foreshortening too. make the pelvis a cube. make the ribcage an oval or cylinder. its a lot easier to imagine a cone in perspective than a leg. so try lightly sketching in all that stuff and then going over that with the actual figure. or just leave the drawing geometric for practice.

theres so many different methods. it doesnt really matter what you do. the most important thing is recognizing forms and how they turn in space.

hunterb on
  • multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This is very much a work in progress. I'd love some feedback on composition. This is more or less a vanity piece to try and learn some new Photochop stuff.

The ground is pretty garish right now - in the end, the every element will have some degree of pattern to it - the ground will be much more muted. The look I'll have is that everything will seem like it's been cut out of wallpaper and painted on.

hanzeluntgretylwipcopy.jpg

multimoog on
  • KalynarKalynar Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    yarr!
    boreddemonframe3copymg7.jpg

Multi, tis cool, looking forward to more.
    Great: most of those lines look like they're there for coloring rather than value.

Kalynar on
    My hands! My horrible human hands!
    monkeysigye5.jpg
    edited September 2006
    wake up doodle
    240906sketch.jpg

Kalynar: pretty cool ^^ but something looks wrong with her waist, doesn't it?
    Multimoog: awesome style I'd say, especially these tree things on the left and the animal(?) at the right. Tim Burton probably would like it, too ^^
    Iruka: it's a pleasure to have a look into your sketchbook ^^
    Tam: maybe it's the clothes or his head, maybe it's a bit too big. at all his legs are longer than his upper body, that's always good.

Ape2001 on
  • Fikus_OmongusFikus_Omongus Registered User new member
    edited September 2006
    randomrobofy5.jpg
    very quick, first concept in Painter for a model i want to do over break.

Not much to mention, i know, but i think im falling in love with Painter!

Fikus_Omongus on
    edited September 2006
    Am I the only one that can't see the image-shack hosted pics oo?

Ape2001 on
  • ScopsScops Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Buckwolfe wrote:

Makes me think of something Hayao Miyazaki would create, sort of.

Wow, I haven't posted for a while. Too much concentrating on yearlies, and other random pieces of schoolwork that have caught me unaware. :(

Scops on
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Buckwolfe wrote:
    This sucks. I have a copious amount of artwork from classes that I'd love to post, but none of it will fit in my damn scanner. And out of everything, everything that I've done, this little doodle I did last night in my free time is the only thing I can scan without butchering it.Mad.gif

Cicerone.jpg

Ahh, I love it. Please finish! The top hat and cane completely makes it.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Iruka wrote:
    all kinds of amazing shit

*swoon* Heart.gif

Scops - Yeah, I can see it too now that you mention it.

Alyce - I kinda thought I was finished with it. It was just sort of a boredom induced doodle. I suppose it could be cleaned up a bit, but I hadn't planned on taking it any further, unless you have a suggestion or two that is.

Buckwolfe on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Love the hate guy.

and might as well just post these in here.

yeahcomeon.jpg
    yournumber.jpg

wakkawa on
  • EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    fuck.

Ehmavisca on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    fuck.

RubberAC on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular