As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Depressing truths no. 9874:

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    At this point I wanted to slap the games out of their hands and yell: "THIS IS WHY THEY KEEP MAKING THESE GAMES! STOP IT!"

Dolphinz got 75% from IGN, so it's safe to say it's probably actually not bad. And the people buying them probably do get a lot of entertainment out of them. It's probably better than a lot of the shit that people on this board cream themselves over.

Rook on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I was at Target buying some XBL point cards (when they were on sale) and I was browsing around the Wii/DS section for a moment. I happened to eavesdrop on this family that was with one of the salesman. They were Christmas shopping.

WHAT? It's way too fucking early to be doing this.
    The conversation sorta went like this:

"Hmm. I think he should get a video game or two for Josh for Christmas. I am just not sure what he likes."

*browses*

"OH MY GOD! Dolphinz! He loves Dolphins, so he has to like this game. Catz would be great for Jennifer!"

*grabs them both*

"They have baby sitting too? Jennifer might want that."

*grabs it*

Nothing says "You've been a bad child this year" like a shitty piece of shovelware.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    We need an "Imagine" photoshop thread.

Capital idea, sir!

theantipop on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Didn't we already have a photoshop thread based on the imagine games? Or was it just a thread on the imagine games that became a photoshop thread?

Either way.
    tastyfv4-n.jpg

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    So I was at Target buying some XBL point cards (when they were on sale) and I was browsing around the Wii/DS section for a moment. I happened to eavesdrop on this family that was with one of the salesman. They were Christmas shopping.

WHAT? It's way too fucking early to be doing this. .

You'd be surprised. My girlfriend starts really early in the year for some reason.

urahonky on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We haven't had a photoshop thread in months, and that would be the best way to bring it back.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

You'd be surprised. My girlfriend starts really early in the year for some reason.

The only time I buy Christmas gifts this early is if its something that I might not be able to find in a few weeks/months.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

The only time I buy Christmas gifts this early is if its something that I might not be able to find in a few weeks/months.

Oh I agree. I buy things December 23rd the earliest. Each year. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You're only fucked when Amazon can't ship it next day and have it arrive on Christmas morning.

theantipop on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    theantipop wrote: »
    You're only fucked when Amazon can't ship it next day and have it arrive on Christmas morning.

Yeah, you're right. They give you the days that it should arrive before buying, so you can usually get lucky and get everything the day before, wrap them and give them out the next morning.

You're only really fucked when people decide to open gifts early.

urahonky on
  • Options
    CirkuxCirkux Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    So what do people think of PIICRON? How long do you give them before they go under? One console to rule them all, hah! o_O

Cirkux on
    "I have a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it! Groucho Marx
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Cirkux wrote: »
    So what do people think of PIICRON? How long do you give them before they go under? One console to rule them all, hah! o_O

Looks like a money grab, not unlike The Phantom.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I want Brothers in Arms Double Time. Never played those two games, and I heard it's an interesting take on the otherwise played-out WW2 genre.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I want Brothers in Arms Double Time. Never played those two games, and I heard it's an interesting take on the otherwise played-out WW2 genre.

Same here. And it's an FPS on the Wii, which I want more of.

Renzo on
  • Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    wait, chibi emo-Prince? That's hilarious.
    94594420080627screen002dc6.jpg

Blearghhh

Chibi can be nice sometimes.

This is not one of those times.

He look like Choi from KoF without the awesome.

Wow...I downloaded a PoP demo for my cell phone that looked (and probably played) better than this...

crucialityfactor on
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

How? People buy a lot of shit during the year, what does she do about duplicate gifts?

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    087.jpg

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Rook wrote: »
    To sum up the DS

12729.jpg

I'm quite impressed by how authentic this photoshop is. The fact that they've fooled several major websites into reviewing it as well is equally surprising.

So you're telling me that Gamestop has priced a game that doesn't exist? Hilarious.

They once had a listing for Morrowind for the PS2.

Are we making jokes, or am I missing something?

Amazon has it, and lists it as "In Stock," and it's not real? That, honestly, seems a tiny bit far fetched. But hey, if it's really just a prank, job well done.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    it's real

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shit like this is how little kids get into games. When they grow older they crave the hard stuff.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    Shit like this is how little kids get into games. When they grow older they crave the hard stuff.

no, you know what, fuck you

okay, because we were playing good games like super mario, megaman, pokemon, GOOD GAMES. not animal petting minus the animal. not 'the sims' for ds.
    REAL games. donkey kong country. mario kart. sonic. mortal kombat.
    not horsez or pussyz

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, games like Pokemon which you tough guys still play.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    animal petting minus the animal.

Wait, what? I still do this.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    fuck you

magmar is hardcore

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Anyway, I didn't like games when I was a kid because they were brutally punishing. Shit like Mario wasn't fun for me. There were like two kids I knew that could beat a whole game and those kids were the major nerds. It wasn't until I was in my mid-teens that I tried Baldur's Gate that I really really got into games. Anyway, now every kid can play and enjoy games. Which is good.

Hoz on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I'm not sure why but I've been laughing at this for like 10 minutes,

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    but what they are playing is crap, mind-melting crap like the disney channel. all the same, nothing different. my little sister has every sims game for the ds. they are all the same. meanwhile the copy of geo wars i got her sits unplayed.
    don't just be satisfied with 'kids playin games= good". make it good games, not horrendous drivel. have some standards.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    If it entertains them and doesn't harm them in anyway, who cares? You're going to have a hard time convincing me that letting my child play "Imagine: Hair Salon" is bad for her mental health.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    it's retarded, and making your kids brain dead. watch her next time she plays that or watches disney channel.
    she'll look like a zombie, dead eyes, not moving, mouth agape.
    yeah, i'm sure that's great for her.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

no, you know what, fuck you

okay, because we were playing good games like super mario, megaman, pokemon, GOOD GAMES. not animal petting minus the animal. not 'the sims' for ds.
    REAL games. donkey kong country. mario kart. sonic. mortal kombat.
    not horsez or pussyz

I played Dogz 2 actually. And you know what? I liked it. I still played the good stuff by the way.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    it's retarded, and making your kids brain dead. watch her next time she plays that or watches disney channel.
    she'll look like a zombie, dead eyes, not moving, mouth agape.
    yeah, i'm sure that's great for her.
    Kids look like that no matter what they're watching on tv. Dude, shut the fuck up. You're not a child psychologist.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    christ i'm no genius
    i just know when i see a movie with her she's laughing and reacting. this shit is just nothingness, feeding the mind pointless shows. entertain them, don't show them fantasy lives. they never laugh at the jokes, but they say they like it because it's funny?
    look, this is my opinion.
    a kid playing something 'made for kidz' does not make it a good thing for the kid. how about a puzzle game like tetris ds or something that would stimulate rather then dull your kids senses.

these shows and games are garbage. and yet we're okay with that. like the fucking shit on mtv.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Kids watch disney because they are interested in it, not because of some conspiracy that wants to make them dumb forcing them to. The same thing will apply with games.

And fuck tetris.

Hoz on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, sounds to me this thread is going to be locked pretty soon ...

My take? Who cares what types of games publishers/developers work on?

This akin to movie studios pumping out kids movies and other stuff for genres I don't care about. As long as they're also producing the movies that I do enjoy, then why should I care? Sure, there's the slippery slope argument that perhaps the studio will only make the types of movies I don't care about, or that it somehow takes away resources from the ones I do ... but that's something to debate when/if it ever gets to that point. Not before.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    christ i'm no genius
    i just know when i see a movie with her she's laughing and reacting. this shit is just nothingness, feeding the mind pointless shows. entertain them, don't show them fantasy lives. they never laugh at the jokes, but they say they like it because it's funny?
    look, this is my opinion.
    a kid playing something 'made for kidz' does not make it a good thing for the kid. how about a puzzle game like tetris ds or something that would stimulate rather then dull your kids senses.

these shows and games are garbage. and yet we're okay with that. like the fucking shit on mtv.

Dude, you want to know some of the games in my collection from when I was a little kid?

Yeah, there're classics like Super Mario World. I also obsessively played motherfucking Clayfighter and Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. My first Gameboy game was a Mickey Mouse title, and I have a Power Rangers sidescroller for my GBC. This is how that shit WORKS. Small kids will enjoy things older people don't. You played some serious classics, yes. I'd be willing to bet there's some utter shit you don't remember, too, because it was only a blip in retrospect, no matter how important it was at the time.

My 7 year old brother watches and plays some utter shit. Christ, he watches stuff marketed at 12 year old girls like Hannah Montana. He also plays Lego Star Wars, and I've been working on making him enjoy classics and good stuff. Kids have no taste.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Can anyone get this guy a shift key?

theantipop on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    SAY AGAIN?

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And fuck tetris.

You crossed the line.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    look, this is just my opinion. i'm not saying this is how it is, it's just how i see it.
    and this is an internet forum, not a grad paper. i'll save the effort for something other than vidja game chit chat.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    christ i'm no genius

Shit, no kidding.
    Seriously, I was playing Megaman 2 and Super Mario Bros 1,2,3 as a kid, but I played games like, say, Balloon Fighter. It's a good game, but it's certainly not the Legend of Zelda. It's shallow, it's an arcadey title where the goal is to get a high-score. Pac-Man, Galaga, Donkey Kong, they're all classic, but look at them without the nostalgia goggles. They've got 1 (or 4) levels that only increase in speed.

Today's Petz are the old day's arcade titles that weren't as popular.
    Some of these games actually get good scores from review sites. I guess they're done better than the ones with low scores that are just quick cash-in.

Just because it's a Barbie game doesn't even mean it's shovelware. Chances are good, but there is a market for this stuff, so maybe some devs decided to make some half-decent Barbie game to sell it to all the little girls. And the lower-budget ones? They fund our games.

HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO SAY THAT?

Shovelware from big corps fund AAA titles.
    If you hate these games, you hate AAA titles.

Djiem on