As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heroes on NBC

• Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    TylerXKJ wrote: »
    bobgorila wrote: »
    He froze time briefly on the roof that time, facing Bennet and an un-prepared Haitian with Claude.

I believe the writer's have said that this was just dramatic Matrix-esque slow motion Telekinesis usage.

I said this earlier but no one wanted to listen to me.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think the big deus ex is going to be the Haitian wiping Sylar's mind of all memory of his abilities.

Season 2 will then be Sylar re-discovering his flimsily-blocked abilities.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    TylerXKJTylerXKJ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    smokmnky wrote: »
    He froze time briefly on the roof that time, facing Bennet and an un-prepared Haitian with Claude.

I believe the writer's have said that this was just dramatic Matrix-esque slow motion Telekinesis usage.

Now is your chance for vengence! Kill a guy with a radiation powers and blow up New York to prove to all of them you're special! You could even be President! Prove you're better!

TylerXKJ on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    smokmnky wrote: »

Now is your chance for vengence! Kill a guy with a radiation powers and blow up New York to prove to all of them you're special! You could even be President! Prove you're better!

I always knew I was special

smokmnky on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wish I could find the article that said Sylar's big part in season 2 would be his history, not "Oh shit Sylar again".

Also, I'm starting to think that maybe the "Peter vs Sylar" battle is gonna be Peter realizing he HAS to explode in order to stop Sylar, since if he's the one who causes the explosion, HE will survive, but Sylar will not.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    mattmatt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    after watching a bunch of episodes of heros, especially the last 6 or so, i dont think they really need to make a watchmen movie, the whole linderman thing is just like ozymadius (sp?) and there are heaps of references to it in other areas of the show.

matt on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ozymandias.

And yes, I get the Linderman parallel, but where are the rest of which you speak?

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, if Sylar got Molly things would get all kinds of fucked up.

You know, thinking upon this a little bit further, it's bad, but not too bad.

Sure, he could locate any person in the world, which spells deep shit for heroes he's already met, but after that? He needs the list still.

Transporter on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Sure, he could locate any person in the world, which spells deep shit for heroes he's already met, but after that? He needs the list still.

I thought she just has to think about them. So would it work like "i wonder where a guy with special powers is?" and then find him one?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nogs wrote: »

I thought she just has to think about them. So would it work like "i wonder where a guy with special powers is?" and then find him one?

So far Molly's only been shown finding people she's met.

Scooter on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    "So far" being "the one time she's used her power" of course.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well, Matt and Sylar (she didn't use it for Sylar, but she could have).

Scooter on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ozymandias.

And yes, I get the Linderman parallel, but where are the rest of which you speak?

Let me think...

There's the comic within a comic/show. Both have heroes that are politicians, and heroes that have nuclear-related powers. Personally, it seems like the 'save the cheerleader, save the world' tagline was trying to rank up there with Watchmen's. I haven't read it in a long while, that's what I can think of of the top of my head.

Linderman's plan is just the most obvious one.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Ozymandias.

Let me think...

There's the comic within a comic/show. Both have heroes that are politicians, and heroes that have nuclear-related powers. Personally, it seems like the 'save the cheerleader, save the world' tagline was trying to rank up there with Watchmen's. I haven't read it in a long while, that's what I can think of of the top of my head.

Also the whole older generation/newer generation thing.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Ozymandias.

Let me think...

Also the whole older generation/newer generation thing.

Those aren't subtle examples, just weak ones. The Linderman example is a direct parallel, the others just have things that are kinda-sorta related to each other in some vague way.

The comic within a comic/show is used completely differently in Watchmen & Heroes. In Heroes, it's an active part of the story since it's Hiro's guide. In Watchmen, it's just a storytelling element to frame scenes.
    I don't remember any politician heroes in Watchmen, and Dr. Manhattan is so much more than just making glowing balls of energy/exploding like Ted.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, they're not very strong. But, besides Linderman, the whole thing just feels like Watchmen in a way that's hard to explain. But I still think the comic thing is a nod to Watchmen, even if it's not exactly the same.

And I thought the Comedian was a politician. After checking, it seems he was just a government employee.

Also...last episode tonight. Whoo!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    The series is more like Seven Soldiers than Watchmen

Shit, after like the first ten minutes of the first episode, I said it was like Seven Soldiers

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So
    "When I think about him, he can see me"
    freaked me the hell out, can't wait to see more of where that is going next season.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Niki owned Sylar with a parking meter. Fuck YES.

Best part of the episode, hands down.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Midway through season 2 Peter is going to wake up in orbit

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

1. Claire's dive for freedom = no...fuck YOU, daddy!

2. Sylar + Parking Meter of DOOM = pwn3d!

3. "You look bad-ass" = funniest part

4. "...he can see me." = ZOMG!

5. "...so WE can save the world." = hellz YEAH!

Yeah, I'm preordering the DVD's stat ;-)

Raziel_pm on
    Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    When they cut to the field, I was sure it was going to show Peter crash landing there. But hey...we got to see Takei the samurai instead!

It wasn't too bad, all in all. The moment with the two super-kids was cute, and seeing Nikki finally set up and do what she needs to was great. Same with Peter. Everyone notice that at the fight he switched from whiney voice to manly, gruff, future-Peter voice?

I went to the scene where it zoomed in on Sylar's white 'future' eyes, and clicked through it a few times on freeze frame. It looks like it shows all the people he's killed/debrained until then, ending with him thinking he's dying (I guess). One of them looks like his mom, and the other I recognized was the super-hearing lady. You see part of her body off the side of the garage's car lift. Another guy is lying on the ground, with what looks like part of his head missing.

So, either it's the people he's already killed, or people he's killed and will kill in season two. Because I didn't recognize most of the clips.

Edit : I forgot to ask, but it popped up in the other thread and reminded me. Why didn't illusion-girl turn into a fat, possibly black person when all her other illusions faded? I mean, I guess you could No Prize it out that it's so important to her that she's even able to keep it up when unconcious...or that she actually looks like that. But, why fucking bother to throw in those lines, then?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    When they cut to the field, I was sure it was going to show Peter crash landing there. But hey...we got to see Takei the samurai instead!

It wasn't too bad, all in all. The moment with the two super-kids was cute, and seeing Nikki finally set up and do what she needs to was great. Same with Peter. Everyone notice that at the fight he switched from whiney voice to manly, gruff, future-Peter voice?

I went to the scene where it zoomed in on Sylar's white 'future' eyes, and clicked through it a few times on freeze frame. It looks like it shows all the people he's killed/debrained until then, ending with him thinking he's dying (I guess). One of them looks like his mom, and the other I recognized was the super-hearing lady. You see part of her body off the side of the garage's car lift. Another guy is lying on the ground, with what looks like part of his head missing.

So, either it's the people he's already killed, or people he's killed and will kill in season two. Because I didn't recognize most of the clips.

Edit : I forgot to ask, but it popped up in the other thread and reminded me. Why didn't illusion-girl turn into a fat, possibly black person when all her other illusions faded? I mean, I guess you could No Prize it out that it's so important to her that she's even able to keep it up when unconcious...or that she actually looks like that. But, why fucking bother to throw in those lines, then?
    Yeah that confused me too. Maybe the line to Micah was just to confuse him and she really WAS hot all along?

Also: Molly's totally got a crush on Micah.

And I'm glad "OMG LOVE IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT" wasn't some bullshit "WE LOVE EACH OTHER AND THEREFORE WE WIN :D" crap. But like "I love my brother, so I'm not letting him blow up the world."
    Ya know, actually meaning something. Not some metaphorical "Love will save the day" crap.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Cool ending, but I was hoping it would be the best episode of the season.

Lux on
  • Options
    Mister ServoMister Servo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Yeah that confused me too. Maybe the line to Micah was just to confuse him and she really WAS hot all along?

And I'm glad "OMG LOVE IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT" wasn't some bullshit "WE LOVE EACH OTHER AND THEREFORE WE WIN :D" crap. But like "I love my brother, so I'm not letting him blow up the world."
    Ya know, actually meaning something. Not some metaphorical "Love will save the day" crap.
    When they started up with the love stuff, I started worrying that Peter was going to hug Sylar and make it all better.

I also thought illusion-girl was going to turn out looking pretty ugly or really different, just based on the little hints she gave.

So Hiro's father's power has something to do with being immortal after all, as some people here guessed. Pretty cool I suppose, it was also neat seeing the symbol in his banner.

I was disappointed though that the big fight between Peter and Sylar turned to be a Vader Fore Choke and a couple of punches, but I guess this show really isn't about that. Still...would've been cool.

No way did Peter and Nathan die though, Peter could survive the explosion and Nathan could probably take off fast enough to get away from him in time, so there's a strong chance he survived.

Also, what's up with the cockroach at the end? It's everywhere Sylar goes, maybe it's one of his powers, he can live on in a roach... And I'm a little confused by something, in the end, did Sylar escape through the sewers or was that just blood running down a drain? I couldn't tell for sure.

Mister Servo on
    Mister+Servo.png
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    So, I'm thinking that Nathan ditched out and then mach 3'd it out of there so that Peter could explode and regenerate. Anyone else think so?

Also, did Sylar actually die or did he just jump down the manhole? And what was with that goo on top of it?

Grifter on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

When they started up with the love stuff, I started worrying that Peter was going to hug Sylar and make it all better.

I also thought illusion-girl was going to turn out looking pretty ugly or really different, just based on the little hints she gave.

So Hiro's father's power has something to do with being immortal after all, as some people here guessed. Pretty cool I suppose, it was also neat seeing the symbol in his banner.

I was disappointed though that the big fight between Peter and Sylar turned to be a Vader Fore Choke and a couple of punches, but I guess this show really isn't about that. Still...would've been cool.

No way did Peter and Nathan die though, Peter could survive the explosion and Nathan could probably take off fast enough to get away from him in time, so there's a strong chance he survived.

Also, what's up with the cockroach at the end? It's everywhere Sylar goes, maybe it's one of his powers, he can live on in a roach... And I'm a little confused by something, in the end, did Sylar escape through the sewers or was that just blood running down a drain? I couldn't tell for sure.
    The blood at the end hints two possibilities: Sylar lives, and dragged himself to the sewer. Or, Sylar's dead, and someone else dragged his body to the sewer.

The cockroach at the end suggests Sylar lives, but the body dragging thing is so much more fucked up, I want that to happen.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2007

The blood at the end hints two possibilities: Sylar lives, and dragged himself to the sewer. Or, Sylar's dead, and someone else dragged his body to the sewer.

The cockroach at the end suggests Sylar lives, but the body dragging thing is so much more fucked up, I want that to happen.
    Could be the new big bad scary guy that Molly is afraid of

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Grifter wrote: »

Could be the new big bad scary guy that Molly is afraid of

I hope it is, that part of the episode was probably the most intriguing part for me.
    Grifter wrote: »
    So, I'm thinking that Nathan ditched out and then mach 3'd it out of there so that Peter could explode and regenerate. Anyone else think so?

Also, did Sylar actually die or did he just jump down the manhole? And what was with that goo on top of it?

I didn't see any goo, might've been the roach maybe?

Mister Servo on
    Mister+Servo.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I just find it odd that no one seemed overly concerned about Sylar's missing body, they were probably way more preoccupied with their loved ones and what not, but still, I would think Mohinder or Noah (Which is kinda cool knowing Bennets first name.) Would've been looking into it. Then again, there probably wasn't enough time to show their reaction.

Sucks, before we'd only have a week of speculation before we got some anwsers, now we have to look forward to a few months of wonder.

Mister Servo on
    Mister+Servo.png
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Funcational finale, at best. No balls, cheap cop-outs galore and dudes acting way out of character for no good reason. Still, the last few minutes were stellar and have me totally psyched for sea-- err-- volume two.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    Herr CaesarHerr Caesar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    The series is more like Seven Soldiers than Watchmen

Shit, after like the first ten minutes of the first episode, I said it was like Seven Soldiers

But alas, no flying horses.

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Is there a significance to finally learning Bennet's first name?

Lux on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It was just a little game the writers were playing of always managing to avoid using his first name the rest of the season.

Scooter on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yes, we have his name

So, I totally wasnt crying when nathan flew in to save New York. Its these new contacts, y'see. They cause my eyes to water sometimes.

Also, those EMTs suck. Its like

Molly: Wait! I want to talk to him
    EMT: Oh. We were gonna rush him to the hospital. But I guess you telling him something he cant hear is good too. Those life saving medicines can wait

Srsly man, get him in the ambulance and vroom vroom him outta there.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Remember the very first episode when Mohinder says that the most evolved species in the world were cokroaches, who can survive anything?
    And almost everytime Sylar was captured/had to survive, there was a cokrach nearby, so i´m guessing its some allegory on how Sylar tries to survive/can survive? .

JCM on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007

That's because he's channelling Peter "Jessica" Petrelli. You know, because Ali Larter was RIGHT THERE.

Plus, loved the reveal that Peter absorbed Shaft's "dream prophecy" ability.

Squashua on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    About Peter
    Can someone explain how he might go about regenerating? I mean, if getting punctured in the medulla oblongata prevents someone from regeneration, you would think blowing it up would have the same effect.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anyway, decent finale, but Volume 2 looks very promising. Also,
    Mama Petrelli is still around running the conspiracy, and her son is still a congressman. And Candace wasn't dead...

Maybe next season we see more of 'Nathan' after all.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    About Peter
    Can someone explain how he might go about regenerating? I mean, if getting punctured in the medulla oblongata prevents someone from regeneration, you would think blowing it up would have the same effect.
    Well, Ted never got hurt when he went nuclear, why would Peter?

Snake Gandhi on