As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quick Wii questions:

KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
Just picked up a Wii.

Horizontal/vertical, does it matter?

Is there a friend's list type thing ala Xbox Live?

WiiConnect24? I remember something about this and overheating. Should I be worried?

Anything else important I'm forgetting?

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
Kaseius on

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes, turn off WiiConnect24.

I love the concept...but it's killed one of mine already. Think it's trying to kill my second...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2008
    Clean it out after you toast your poptarts.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Clean it out after you toast your poptarts.

damn, these consoles just keep getting more and more bloated..

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Vertical in the original stand has best airflow. Doesn't really matter. Just don't move it while it's on.

No, not really. You can type in Wii console codes and exchange messages. To play games together, you and a firend need to exchange another different code, different for each game, on a per-game basis. Generally, both p[arties need to be setup to get a match. Some games facilitate this more than others.

It's fine. If it breaks, it was never meant to be anyway. Nintendo will get on a speedy replacement.

Yes, Super Mario Galaxy.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you love polar bears, turn off WiiConnect.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wiiconnect 24 shouldnt be a problem if youve got it in an area with a bit of space around it. (Unless your in the desert or something.) Just keep it clear of other electronics and youll be fine. This isnt the 360.

Verticle is probally better for keeping it cool but other then that i could probally juggle the wii and it would proform fine.

The Wii has freind codes. Which require you to both put in the others codes Aka: A total bitch and my biggest problem with the system.

Not much else. I do advise the purchese of a clasic controler if you are gonna be using the virtual console. Especially for Snes games. (Seiously using the Y button to run on the gamecube controller feels like premature arthritis.

You may want to look into Wii Homebrew. Itll get you the likes of DVD playback, ScummVM and Will let you play region locked games. Plus some other stuff. There if you want it.

Road Block on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Road Block wrote: »
    You may want to look into Wii Homebrew. Itll get you the likes of DVD playback, ScummVM and Will let you play region locked games. Plus some other stuff. There if you want it.

If so, this should be your starting point.

LewieP on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been hearing that making the Wii play DVDs burns out the laser.

And I've left Wiiconnect on the entire time, but I'm in the Seattle area so it doesn't exactly become blistering here.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cervetus wrote: »

I've heard nothing concrete either way, so I would recommend waiting for a while personally.

There is a ton of other great homebrew though.

LewieP on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

And I've left Wiiconnect on the entire time, but I'm in the Seattle area so it doesn't exactly become blistering here.

Because that's how DVD lasers work!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    agoaj wrote: »

Because that's how DVD lasers work!

It sure as hell made no sense to me, but after numerous people on these boards (who I presume to be smarter than the average bear) mentioned it as a problem I thought it would be worth mentioning myself.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

I live in the Seattle area, also...

And mine died. :|

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Leave Wii connect24 on if you're going to use it. If you're Wii fries then it will do so within the year as it is defective and it will be replaced.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Legacy wrote: »

WiiConnect24 doesn't really have nothing to do with GPU rot. Even when on, Wii's internals stay at 35 C or something like that, and both CPU/GPU easily tolerate +70 C temperatures. It is just that when manufacturing over 1.2 million Wiis per month, it is bound to happen that some units are faulty.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    elkatas wrote: »
    Legacy wrote: »

WiiConnect24 doesn't really have nothing to do with GPU rot. Even when on, Wii's internals stay at 35 C or something like that, and both CPU/GPU easily tolerate +70 C temperatures. It is just that when manufacturing over 1.2 million Wiis per month, it is bound to happen that some units are faulty.

Agreed, my Wii has had WiiConnect24 enabled 24/7 since I bought it at launch, and I've never had a problem with it.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Some games require WiiConnect 24 to be on to access the internet, so if you want to use those features without worrying about overheating, just unplug it when you're done. It saves a lot of power doing that, so it might be a good idea regardless of overheating concerns.

0blique on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    WiiConnect won't kill it. If the GPU is going to rot, it's going to rot. They updated it anyway to where it's a lot more paranoid and will turn on the fan in WiiConnect/standby mode a lot more often.

FyreWulff on