As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bought SATA HD, Only Have IDE Ports, Am Dumbass. Help?

l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I saw a most excellent deal for 750 GB hard drive online, and bought the sucker without a moment's hesitation. When it arrived, I was all set to plug it in, but then realized that it was my dead ex-motherboard that took them, and not the replacement I'm using now. I see that there are adapters all over the internet, but will they render the thing so slow as to be unusable? I figure now's a good time to actually research before I blow more money on something that might not work as expected. Any tips?

l337CrappyJack on

• Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A pci sata controller card will be fine, just don't boot off the 750gb if you are worried about speed.

noobert on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Precisely. A PCI Sata Controller should work quite well, and you won't really notice a huge drop in performance.

Just...learn your lesson, and make sure you have a spare PCI slot before you order it :P

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Awesome. I was hoping it'd be that easy. Any recommendations?

l337CrappyJack on