As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Political activism on other forums

QinguQingu Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
So the vast majority of us support Obama. Many of us also spend shitloads of time posting on this forum.

A number of us, including me, are also posting on other forums that are more conservative-minded than this, with the explicit purpose to defend or promote Democrats there. For example, I post on a Christian Guitar forum; I know Loren posts on Xwalk.

I'd like this thread to be a place for us to share resources and to help each other do just that. What other forums do you post on, and what techniques do you use? Have you identified other forums that don't have liberal representatives on them?

I don't have anything grand or high-minded in mind (I know the internet is SERIOUS BUSINESS). I'm not saying we should be aggressive or start a "forum war" or any shit like that. I just think there's a lot of people in other forums who are missing the same kind of information that we have here, or have misinformation.

I think this thread could do without extended criticism of the idea: if you don't want to do it, I'm not going to try to convince you.

Is anyone else interested in doing this?

Qingu on

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wouldn't this qualify as a forum raid, which is against the rules?

Edit- Actually, rereading it it doesn't seem exactly like that. Maybe ask a mod for permission?

Edit 2- You know what, just ignore everything I say.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Your idea seems a little elitist. Others have differing opinions, and those that can be swayed usually have enough "sense" to have done so already. I hope that's not too extended of a critique. :P

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Your idea seems a little elitist. Others have differing opinions, and those that can be swayed usually have enough "sense" to have done so already. I hope that's not too extended of a critique. :P
    I will freely admit to being elitist.

But the fact is, there are some perfectly intelligent, perfectly open-minded people out there who simply do not have access to the kind of information we have on here. They may simply not be interested in politics, or if they are, they may only post in a conservative echo-chamber. On my second forum, there are a lot of people who simply have the wrong information about Obama: a lot of people think he will raise their taxes, for example.

I'm not talking about wishy-washy ideological stuff; I'm talking about spreading true information about Obama to people who may not have the ability or motivation to acquire it for themselves.
    And before you say it, I know I sound like a religious person, and yes, it freaks me out too. Shit, I was just lying in bed trying to go to sleep, just heard that Ron Paul might run as a third-party, and actually started praying to the fucking Universe to make it happen. I caught myself, but then I got up and prayed to my cat, mightiest of all beasts. And I meant it.[i

Let that be an illustration of how important I think this election is.

Qingu on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is there a particular reason you feel it's necessary to start forcing your political opinion onto forums that seemingly have nothing to do with politics? Granted there's nothing stopping people from not reading provided you're making new posts stating clearly what you're about, but even as you admitted, this reeks of self-righteousness wrapped up in a "noble cause". No one likes Mormons and no one is going to like this.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    darklite_x wrote: »
    Is there a particular reason you feel it's necessary to start forcing your political opinion onto forums that seemingly have nothing to do with politics? Granted there's nothing stopping people from not reading provided you're making new posts stating clearly what you're about, but even as you admitted, this reeks of self-righteousness wrapped up in a "noble cause". No one likes Mormons and no one is going to like this.
    You could be right. But maybe one person on another forum will learn something and it will lead to them making a better or more honest voting decision.

I mean, most people fucking hate soliciters who ring their doorbell and bother them, and yet Obama's campaign (and many others) have made GOTV canvassing a centerpiece of their strategy. I don't really see how this is any different.

Qingu on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    You could be right. But maybe one person on another forum will learn something and it will lead to them making a better or more honest voting decision.

I mean, most people fucking hate soliciters who ring their doorbell and bother them, and yet Obama's campaign (and many others) have made GOTV canvassing a centerpiece of their strategy. I don't really see how this is any different.

Wait, I had assumed you meant only on political or semi-political forums where this kind of thing is expected.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Qingu wrote: »

Wait, I had assumed you meant only on political or semi-political forums where this kind of thing is expected.
    Yeah, pretty much. Or large, general subculture forums (like PA) with political sub-sections.

I don't mean trolling random forums or going to forums that are not "open to outsiders"

Qingu on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm interested, I'm just wondering what sort of forums you're talking about Qingu. I actually want to do my part to help the Obama campaign, but unfortunately my job explicity states that I can't do things like working a phone bank or things like that, so this would probably be my only source of activism.
    If you could just point me to some politically conservative forums, and perhaps have the OP be a repository of rebutting articles to commonly held misbeliefs about Obama.

Rent on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Any truly conservative forum will probably ultimately dismiss you as a troll, or just not pay you any attention. The effort required to swim upstream against an entire forum is pretty overwhelming (watch what happens when one of our token republicans posts in the AmPol thread.)

Nonpolitical forums will probably treat you pretty much the same way, but they'll be nicer about it. Unfortunately there don't seem to be all that many multipartisan forums on the internet; they seem to get dominated pretty quickly by one side or the other. And the ones that are out there are about the stupid shit that crosses party lines: 9/11 conspiracy et al.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Believe it or not there are people who know about him, know about his policies, and don't believe he's a Muslim/the anti-Christ... and who still don't like him. Not everyone agrees with his policies, even those who understand them.

Organichu on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    Believe it or not there are people who know about him, know about his policies, and don't believe he's a Muslim/the anti-Christ... and who still don't like him. Not everyone agrees with his policies, even those who understand them.

I'd have to imagine those would be the single-issue voters, either the "top-income no-more-taxes" folk, the "no infanticide by abortionists" fuckwits, or the "take mah gun from my cold dead hands" folk.

TL DR on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Qingu, I think you have absurd ideas about the clout and potency forum-goers actually have, either in general or in total.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I'd have to imagine those would be the single-issue voters, either the "top-income no-more-taxes" folk, the "no infanticide by abortionists" fuckwits, or the "take mah gun from my cold dead hands" folk.

Not all of them. There really are people out there who just disagree on these issues. :winky:

Organichu on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Not all of them. There really are people out there who just disagree on these issues. :winky:

Or maybe they actually think that McCain's experience wins out.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm not sure if you guys are just messing with me or what but you do all know that some people really think Obama's policies are, as an aggregate, bad, right?

I feel like maybe since I'm a D&D newbie I'm being hazed here, because I don't think you guys are being serious. Sure, a lot of people on the right are scare mongers and believe dumb shit they hear about Obama and vote on stupid minutia, et cetera. But there are plenty of people who sit down, think about it, and say "I don't agree with Obama's platform, I think those are the wrong stances for this country".

Like, that happens.

Organichu on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is a stupid fucking idea.

'Here is why you should vote like I do!'

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008
    What? No. God no.

20030307h.jpg

Tycho wrote:
    I always knew that people had misgivings about communists, but I never understood why until I was laid low, ravaged by one of their Red Colds. This is like watching someone's slides from their trip to Agony. There is the Great Gulf of Torment. There is the River of Unpleasant Moisture.

Still waiting on the strip, I did mention it might be a little late - this link will work fine once it hits the site. He had some cool ideas on how to represent certain things, and it might have taken longer, but when this is all done I want to go back through the archive and say that we did our God Damnedest on every page. Also, I would like to one day combine it with Over Easy, The Christmas Carol, and Fall of the House of Brahe along with extra stuff in a book maybe. I think we could do a good job on that.

I do, of course, appreciate your patience in this matter. A man came up to me at the San Diego Comic-Con and asked me what I think the most important element of an online strip is, and I told him "Punctuality," so obviously the situation makes me feel like a dumbass. It's still true, however. I told him that I felt punctuality trumped writing and art for long-term success, and I certainly hope that I am right because, well... Imagine the alternative.

I have tried act as a bulwark against insidious Continuity for a very, very long time. Indeed, I have railed on about it in the post virtually every time the notion of a storyline rears its scaly head. Part of the problem, as I have mentioned, is that we simply don't have the attention span for extended narratives. Couple that with the fact that we are not a daily strip, and the possibility of making readers slog on for, oh, three months through some poorly conceived storyline finds no purchase here. We tried for years to write storylines to no avail, and the moment we switched to strips five years ago things started to work better for us. I thought continuity just didn't like me, it's like in elementary school where deep down everyone is just terrified and there is a lot of projected enmity.

This is actually a good time to introduce our delectable RSS feed, as it will help notify you when the strip becomes available. It can be found at "http://www.penny-arcade.com/RSS.xml" - there are, no doubt, a plurality of options for parsing that file. The guy who wrote the feed made a reader for OSX called Kontent, which I mentioned before - the newest version, uploaded late last night, has support for ours. I'm not familiar with the Linux side of things, but I know that here on Windows the "Pro" version of Trillian has a cool little plug-in that will keep up with the site and notify you in an adorable little box. I believe programs of this type are called "Aggregators," if you do a search for that, you'll find riches beyond your wildest dreams. For example, Amphetadesk is free and cross platform, so there's a start. These are applications that can keep track of Penny Arcade and probably thousands of other sites. If you really like cats or something there's probably a cat one.

(CW)TB out.

put on your mittens for these sub-zero conditions
    Gabe wrote:
    Thanks for all the great e-mail about the last couple comic strips. I appreciate all the support. I just have a couple things to mention real quick.

I went ahead and posted some of the CTS fan art I have gotten. You can see them here.

There is a new Hook Up available. Stormy compares dual processors to lap dances, don't miss it!

My new computer came from Two Geeks Yesterday...she is lovely. I am not much of a tech guy but this is what's in it I think:

AMD Athlon XP 2700
    A red thing with a light on it
    1.00 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4800
    Lots of wires
    37 GB HD
    74 GB Striped RAID Array
    Some other bad ass shit

Photoshop purrs like a goddamned kitten even when I'm fucking with giant files with too many layers. In fact the first time I saved I thought that it hadn't actually done it because I didn't see the little bar chugging away at the bottom. I actually went and looked in the folder to see if it had really been saved.

Just this morning I noticed that the video card supports two monitors. I am gonna fuck around with that a bit and see if I can't use my tablet PC as a second monitor. I am thinking about using that display for all my tools and menus in Photoshop. This would free up some real estate on my 19" monitor and give me more room to work.

The first game you install on a new PC is always special. I broke in my new rig last night with Freelancer. It runs like a dream.

I gotta get back to work on page 4 of CTS. Tycho is a wicked task master and if he finds that I've taken even a moments rest I'll be in deep shit.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.