As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hockey on] NHL09 - GO TO NEW THREAD

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You guys do realise that since this is an EA Sports game, you'll have to pay extra to ensure that the servers are up and running properly, right? Around 400 pts per month is the usual fee. Today was just a free limited time only demo.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are you kidding? lol

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wasn't available to purchase at Best Buy.

:(

Burtletoy on
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    twmjr, we are loving you (if you can't tell by our chat). Haha.

edit: Great game so far. Lets go OT!

edit: Great game guys. Sucks that we lost in the shootout, but what can you do? Sucks I didn't get to shoot though. I am probably the best chance we had in the shootout. ;-)

I swear, scoring that goal in the third period to tie the game...it felt like we were playing in the NHL and I flipped shit. So awesome.

edit: Kobe and Walrus, you invites have been sent. To get them go to the My Player Hub or whatver the Hub menu is entitled.

hahaha, it was definitely a blast. I think I got used to the demo where you could poke-check to oblivion without ever getting called for anything.

is anyone still on/playing? I'm up for a few more games if so.

twmjr on
    edited September 2008
    twmjr wrote: »
    twmjr, we are loving you (if you can't tell by our chat). Haha.

edit: Great game so far. Lets go OT!

edit: Great game guys. Sucks that we lost in the shootout, but what can you do? Sucks I didn't get to shoot though. I am probably the best chance we had in the shootout. ;-)

I swear, scoring that goal in the third period to tie the game...it felt like we were playing in the NHL and I flipped shit. So awesome.

edit: Kobe and Walrus, you invites have been sent. To get them go to the My Player Hub or whatver the Hub menu is entitled.

hahaha, it was definitely a blast. I think I got used to the demo where you could poke-check to oblivion without ever getting called for anything.

is anyone still on/playing? I'm up for a few more games if so.

We are waiting for my 2 friends (and whoever else was with them) to get done their game. They are in the third period. My one friend, someone from here, and myself won our game in the meantime. So right now my friend and I are waiting for them to finish in the third.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited September 2008
    Nice. Rank: 14

I'll hang around and wait for you guys then.

twmjr on
    edited September 2008
    twmjr wrote: »
    Nice. Rank: 14

I'll hang around and wait for you guys then.

Yea, not bad. Our Division has 100 teams. So I guess that isn't horrible.

I love that I am leading the team with a +8 (although to be fair I have been playing all day). My friend has fucking 258 hits. Next closest? My other friend with 104, then me with like 77. He hits everything I swear.

EDIT: Oh GOD! I am goalie. *crosses fingers**

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    dude, invite me to the club or something.

EskimoDave on
    edited September 2008
    Ugh. I am getting no offensive support. Haha. 4-0 in the 3rd.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • K7 AvengerK7 Avenger __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Where do I see my online characters stats versus my SP character? Do the stats transfer and you just have one character? Also, what does the 210/210 next to my name on the main menu mean?

The only really big flaw in this game I see is the confusing menu system from 08.

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
    edited September 2008
    we're about to play 5 on 2...this should be fun

twmjr on
    edited September 2008
    We can't get the game to start. It either doesn't find one or someone gets booted. Damn all those people for buying this game. It worked fine at like 3.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited September 2008
    well, we lost 4-2, one of which was an empty netter. maybe tomorrow will be better. :p

twmjr on
    edited September 2008
    This game is just getting borderline upsetting :| I simply can't adjust to only playing one player on the ice. I can't. I've played 10 games in Be a Pro mode and have scored one goal. I don't even want to play the game anymore.

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
    edited September 2008
    K7 Avenger wrote: »
    This game is just getting borderline upsetting :| I simply can't adjust to only playing one player on the ice. I can't. I've played 10 games in Be a Pro mode and have scored one goal. I don't even want to play the game anymore.

Don't give up. It takes time. Also, screw the first camera angle they give you. Use the regular angle you would use if you played as the whole team. That is what I do for online and offline and am fine playing defense. Remember, if you are playing with a computer player you can call for the puck by just press the pass button.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited September 2008
    I hate you all because Best Buy didn't have this game in stock yet.

Burtletoy on
  • MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I still love you. <3 You going to be playing tomorrow?

MyNameIsWalrus on
    edited September 2008

Oh this was directed at you... I also work at Best Buy and we had it in stock :P

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
    edited September 2008
    I swear to God I want to throw kittens. EA better fix these friggin servers. Took us like a half hour (I didn't count, but it felt like it) to get a game going.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited September 2008

I'll check Best Buy again, but I'm working tomorrow day and tomorrow night, so I won't be on until late if they have it. I don't know where else to buy games in this new city. I guess I can look up a Gamestop, but I really don't want any more of my money headed there.

Burtletoy on
    edited September 2008
    Yesss. 19 seconds left, I tell the computer to shoot the puck from the left wing as two of us (me being a dman) crash the net and score to take the lead and the game.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, to truly be a part of this in spirit, I managed to track down NHL 06 for Gamecube. Hooray!

.....until......

I've only done a couple of CPU vs. CPU matches just to tweak the sliders to what seems right to me. I've also dabbled into the "Create A" mode to get my feet wet in that.

I have to say this, though I'm sure you've all heard it by now....

EA, it appears that you make some good hockey games, but in terms of everything else, HO-LY SH-IT do you get all of the little things wrong!

1) A manual is supposed to be a manual, not a pamphlet! All you show is controls and very brief descriptions of all the modes? Are you fucking insane?! There's more pages in Nintendo's precautions booklet on epilepsy than there are in your manual! (And they put those warnings in every game made for every one of their systems.) How much money does EA make? Why can't they put some money into educating the newcomers to their games by making actually decent manuals?! FFS!

2) Rules section: As I've said, I've gone through the Rules and Gameplay sections to tweak the sliders a little, but, uh.....how come there are two sets of rules that I cannot see?

Whatever I do in the Rules section must obviously be under "Custom" when on the final settings page before starting an Exhibition game. But on that same page, I can change the rules to "NHL" and "International". Well, there's "Off" too, I guess. But why can't I go into those sets of rules and see how they're set up? And why can I only select them on that final page before the game starts?

3) EA has taken the "Create-A" mode a bit too seriously. Now I knew ahead of time that I couldn't delete the free agents list full of no names, but I didn't think I would be unable to delete my own created players! If that wasn't bad enough, after I've created a player, while I can go back to edit my created player's attributes, I cannot change his FACE! That's kind of, you know, IMPORTANT! Here I am, re-thinking my created my face and that I have my cheeks and nose not quite right. So I go to the Player Editor, and I can edit everything else except the face. Bullshit, EA. Utter bullshit. Fucking THQ was getting this right with their wrestling games on the N64. How the hell did you miss something like this?

And by the way, just how many players can I create? How many teams? How many players can be put in the Free Agency section? How come this info isn't in the manual?!

If EA was like this in 06, and if they're still doing stuff like this in 09, then they just made me very, very curious about the 2K series, and I hope 2K continues their support on Wii so I can see how their games are done.

.....(sigh)....

Am I over-reacting? :|

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
    edited September 2008
    Get 2k5. Great game. As for EA? Well, either NHL 08, 09, or 94-97 on SNES.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited September 2008
    Get 2k5. Great game. As for EA? Well, either NHL 08, 09, or 94-97 on SNES.

2k5: Not on Gamecube
    08: Not on Wii
    09: Not on Wii
    94-97: I'm sure they're good games, but I have Blades of Steel for my sprite-based hockey. More importantly, I want modern hockey. That is, with the new rule changes.

Sucks to be a Nintendo and hockey fan for now, I guess.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    95 was the year of console hockey, after that it all went downhill.

RichardTauber on
    edited September 2008
    There's always the aptly named Ice Hockey for the NES. Best hockey game evar!

Burtletoy on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Totally. A whole team of fatties and let's go Soviet!

RichardTauber on
    edited September 2008
    Back to on topic...

**coughcough**

We are up 4-0 going into the third.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited September 2008
    Back to on topic...

**coughcough**

We are up 4-0 going into the third.

Finish them off with a Dixie Twist! :P

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
    edited September 2008
    pfft. Tall skinny guys with the game speed set to max! No need for the fatties when the screen moves so fast you can't even see them.

Burtletoy on
    edited September 2008
    Or finish them off 7-2, with me getting 4 goals. Haha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Seriously? Did that really happen? So pissed. I liked it better when I was leading in goals... and I was rated an A- :(

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    signed up for the team on the link in the OP. liking the game so far.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I signed up for the PA team on the spreadsheet as well. Looking forward to playing with you all.

Brym on
    edited September 2008
    Best Buy's website say it is in stock at the store I went to yesterday. I'm heading there in a few min for my lunch break. Hopefully I'll be able to get in a game later tonight before I head out to my other job.

Burtletoy on
  • WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm debating whether or not I'm going to try to nab this today. I need some hockey in my life right now during the off season, and Be a Pro both on and offline sound amazing.

If I do grab this today or tomorrow I'll be sure to add myself to the roster.

WillisIVIIX on
    edited September 2008
    Best Buy's website say it is in stock at the store I went to yesterday. I'm heading there in a few min for my lunch break. Hopefully I'll be able to get in a game later tonight before I head out to my other job.

I asked the guy when I got to the videogame section and he pulled it from a box.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • jb7jb7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm debating whether or not I'm going to try to nab this today. I need some hockey in my life right now during the off season, and Be a Pro both on and offline sound amazing.

Do it. I am already addicted after one night. I can't wait to play after class and am thinking about flaking out on a date tonight D:
    I was going to cancel it anyway

Now we need to figure out what all the stats do.

Here's a list
    Offensive Awareness
    Wrist Shot Accuracy
    Slap Shot Accuracy
    Aggression
    Checking
    Toughness
    Acceleration
    Agility
    Balance
    Defensive Awareness
    Deflections
    Deking
    Discipline
    Durability
    Endurance
    Face-offs
    Passing
    Puck Control
    Shot Blocking
    Slap Shot Power
    Speed
    Wrist Shot Power

Some are obvious, such as Speed and Wrist Shot Accuracy, but what about things like Deflections and Shot Blocking(Note these are for skaters and not goalies, goalies have seperate stats)? I wish EA would actually give some info in there horrible excuse of a manual :(

jb7 on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you're familiar at all with hockey, nothing on that list should need much clarification. I suspect that Deflections represents how effective a skater is at deflecting the puck. For a goalie, that's their primary job so in that position, it'd be about whether or not the deflections end up in a good or bad location. For skaters, I'd bet it's about whether or not the puck is deflected away from the crease or only slightly enough to confuse the goalie and possibly enter the net.

Same for Shot Blocking. How quickly the player can get down in front of a shot and then recover.

Really, at this point, whinging about EA and their pathetic manual inserts isn't going to change anything.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited September 2008
    jb7 wrote: »

Do it. I am already addicted after one night. I can't wait to play after class and am thinking about flaking out on a date tonight D:
    I was going to cancel it anyway

Now we need to figure out what all the stats do.

Here's a list
    Offensive Awareness
    Wrist Shot Accuracy
    Slap Shot Accuracy
    Aggression
    Checking
    Toughness
    Acceleration
    Agility
    Balance
    Defensive Awareness
    Deflections
    Deking
    Discipline
    Durability
    Endurance
    Face-offs
    Passing
    Puck Control
    Shot Blocking
    Slap Shot Power
    Speed
    Wrist Shot Power

Some are obvious, such as Speed and Wrist Shot Accuracy, but what about things like Deflections and Shot Blocking(Note these are for skaters and not goalies, goalies have seperate stats)? I wish EA would actually give some info in their horrible excuse of a manual :(

Hi5!...and fixed. :P

Shall I guess that Aggression involves how often a team will check? And maybe Discipline involves how often you check that results in a penalty, or maybe doing retaliation hits? Shot Blocking is how often a player tries to block a shot?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS: