As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Aliens Colonial Marines teaser...AND I WILL TRY AGAIN TYVM

SkabSkab Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
SINCE I GOT LOCKED IN THE MIDDLE OF EDITING

Heres try number 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nptSsVDl_X0

steam_sig.png
Skab on

• Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Chances are it won't even be able to compare to AvP.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fucking jerks, let us see some gameplay!

While I avoided seeing either of the AvP movies, because they looked fucking terrible, I still have a huge geek boner for "Aliens" and anything associated with it. As fun as the AvP PC games were, I think there's a lot more territory to be explored in a game that just has aliens and marines. Predators were imba etc etc

Captain K on
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The AvP movies were *ok* if you avoided watching any scenes that involved humans. :)

I have no idea why the directors and script writers of these movies want humans to be anything other than creatures that add to the body count or are hosts for the aliens.

Unless of course said humans are the space marines, but even then I'd be happy with them not being the heroes of the story. Why .. WHY WHY WHY the fuck does Hollywood have to have humans being the heroes all the time grrrrr.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    knowing ANYTHING about this would be nice :D. I guess it's at least a game from the company that made the video :p.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They also made the Half Life expansions and the Brothers in Arms series. So they'll do the shooty and teamwork bits well. It remains to be seen if the horror (or just scared shitless) aspect will be done well.
    Beep. Beep Beep Beep BeepBeepBeepBeepBeeeeeeee

Arrath on
    edited September 2008
    29nclko.jpg

Captain K on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hopefully the squad AI doesn't suck and atleast takes a note from Republic Commando in that sense. I do not want an out of body tactical map a-la BIA. While cool it kind of detracts from the whole immersive thing they were going for.

Also, if you're working with a motion tracker, it's kind of hard to screw up scary. The sound itself is the voice of fear. It is the harbinger of death.

Mustachio Jones on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arrath wrote: »
    Beep. Beep Beep Beep BeepBeepBeepBeepBeeeeeeee
    Ripley wrote:
    That can't be thats inside the room!

Looking forward to getting some more info on this :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hopefully the squad AI doesn't suck and atleast takes a note from Republic Commando in that sense. I do not want an out of body tactical map a-la BIA. While cool it kind of detracts from the whole immersive thing they were going for.

Also, if you're working with a motion tracker, it's kind of hard to screw up scary. The sound itself is the voice of fear. It is the harbinger of death.

I disagree, scary was when playing as an alien in AvP(2?) and fighting the predator.
    I saw him down below, zerg'd em, and killed em super fast. I am standing over his corpse laughing cause srsly, he got wtfpwned, as the kids put it. Then I hear a beep. Then another. Then another, and it gets faster and faster. And I start to think. My brain's windows-esque search function is slowly retrieving files, sifting thru like a middle schooler learning the dewey decimal system. What oh what is that beep? And why is he laughing?

Oh. Right. The bomb.

There were no survivors

CangoFett on
  • RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    Fucking jerks, let us see some gameplay!

While I avoided seeing either of the AvP movies, because they looked fucking terrible, I still have a huge geek boner for "Aliens" and anything associated with it. As fun as the AvP PC games were, I think there's a lot more territory to be explored in a game that just has aliens and marines. Predators were imba etc etc

First AvP was not "Face melting" bad but definitely a huge and I mean HUGE letdown.
    Requiem was basically the worst thing ever to have happened.
    Satan has a new way to torture people now.

Rinder on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I remember there being a Game Informer article about this a while ago, and googling about has found me some images

(You have to scroll down a bit.)

Edit: My two favorite:

WKFjk2fd4j8nT8FfXlxiCoqKpdL8ogaZ
    OkPKF1fR7z_snhEYVlaTKuw4eKgw0FxH

Darlan on
    edited September 2008
    Graphics look a bit dated but I think we can expect solid gameplay from the team behind Brothers in Arms.

As has already been said, it will really boil down to whether they manage to nail the atmosphere.

Captain K on
  • BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In my opinion, AvP2, the game, was so amazing.

In college, I convinced our computer gaming club (which some friends and I founded) to play it as our "league" game of the semester. Many fun times were had and I almost felt bad about dominating, but then I thought about how fucking awesome it is to WIN!

Becoming on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Graphics look a bit dated but I think we can expect solid gameplay from the team behind Brothers in Arms.

As has already been said, it will really boil down to whether they manage to nail the atmosphere.
    Plus, who knows where they were/are in development when those screenshots were taken. Maybe they've improved since then, maybe they were bullshots in the first place. Still, I'm excited even if they are only proof of concept images.

Darlan on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Agreed. If they can nail the atmosphere, that's the most important part of an Aliens game, no question. Actually, I always found that the biggest destroyer of tension in AVP2 was the Predator. He just showed up and started shooting plasma at you, and it went from 'holy fuck there could be things in those goddamn air vents' to 'goddamn invisible super alien, just die you goddamn wanker'.

Really excited about this one.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This doesn't look colonial at all. Needs more powdered wigs I dare say.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited September 2008
    agoaj wrote: »

Hog wash I dare say.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And where are my flintlock carbine rifles?

see317 on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Alien Vs. Predator Gold Edition is in my top five gaming experiences. The predator part was kinda so so, but the alien and marine sections were awesome. Does anyone know where I can find it for the mac?

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have to admit.

I can never finish the marine campaigns in the avp games.

I played the shit out of the aliens and predator sections, but I just can't get through the marines. I'm too fleshy and weak and squishy and oh god where is this thing? Come out and fight! Oh shit it did! AUGH!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited September 2008
    see317 wrote: »

A 70 caliber lead slug would probably do more damage than these puny pusle rifles everyone packs around.

Arrath on
    edited September 2008

A 70 caliber lead slug would probably do more damage than these puny pusle rifles everyone packs around.

I like to keep this handy

for long range rank-and-file encounters

Captain K on
    edited September 2008

I like to keep this handy

for long range rank-and-file encounters

:^:

Arrath on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Game over man, game over!

capkgameoverdp.jpg

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

capkgameoverdp.jpg

you are

the very best

Captain K on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know what is so good about this game.

When the thing comes out the entire thread on it will be pages upon pages of Aliens quotes. And I'm going to love every second.

They cut the power.

How can they cut the power? They're animals!

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    capkgameoverdp.jpg

They mostly come at night...mostly

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Believe me I'd rather not go. I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid.

I got together with my current GF because of the Aliens films :)

ben0207 on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Believe me I'd rather not go. I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid.

I got together with my current GF because of the Aliens films :)

Get away from her you BITCH

The_Scarab on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    AvP movies sucked fucking balls

The games, particularly the 2nd, were awesome.

Deusfaux on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

When the thing comes out the entire thread on it will be pages upon pages of Aliens quotes. And I'm going to love every second.

They cut the power.

i still say that predator has the most quotable quotes ever

it's the only film you can measure in quotes per second

Nuzak on
  • pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Alien Vs. Predator Gold Edition is in my top five gaming experiences. The predator part was kinda so so, but the alien and marine sections were awesome. Does anyone know where I can find it for the mac?

I picked it up for the mac from ebay, I seem to be perpetually buying the special edition of the film as well, as I just picked that up again, but found I already had it partly.

pabh on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

They cut the power.

All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the Corps! A day in the Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Corps!

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »

They cut the power.

i still say that predator has the most quotable quotes ever

it's the only film you can measure in quotes per second

Jim Hopper....

Mr Bubbles on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really dig the fact that there's no predator in this. I'm actually looking forward to the multiplayer, assuming you get to play as the alien. If they make it more like AvP 1, instead of the horribly nerfed alien in AvP 2, it'll be fantastic. Predator is kind of a dead weight in terms of gameplay and tension.

I still prefer AvP 1 over AvP 2, primarily because the atmosphere was vastly superior (and also because the alien was kickass). The lighting in the first game is still incredible to this day, so I hope they don't skimp on the technology here. It should be dark as hell, and there must be spared no expense on the sound design.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hope this time they get the aliens running along walls and ceiling properly. It happened in the previous games too, but it usually wasn't done too well, they'd have pathfinding issues trying to navigate 3D space. I suppose that's to be expected given the complexities of it, but if they can get it right, it'll be amazing.

My main concern with this game, if they really want to make it something great, is that it can't be linear. Games like Dead Space are mainly focussing on a set sequence of scares, but th AvP was pretty much the poster child of "unexpected encounters". Constantly respawning enemies meant there was never anywhere safe to stop for a second. Plus you want room for on-the-fly tactical decisions and last minute bunkering down.

With the licence they've got they have a real opportunity to do something that's different from most other FPS's on the market. Left 4 Dead sounds like it might come close for non-linearity of play, but there's no option for things like holing up somewhere (barring things like a new game mode, which given Valve's history with TF2, isn't actually too unlikely a propsition.

If it just becomes a linear sequence of scares and scripted rooms, I'm going to be a sad panda. AvP2 fell foul of this, and it just wasn't the same.

subedii on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm not a fan of FPS games.

I want to play this with friends co-operatively SO BAD though. SO BAD.

Kay2 on
    edited September 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    I hope this time they get the aliens running along walls and ceiling properly. It happened in the previous games too, but it usually wasn't done too well, they'd have pathfinding issues trying to navigate 3D space. I suppose that's to be expected given the complexities of it, but if they can get it right, it'll be amazing.

My main concern with this game, if they really want to make it something great, is that it can't be linear. Games like Dead Space are mainly focussing on a set sequence of scares, but th AvP was pretty much the poster child of "unexpected encounters". Constantly respawning enemies meant there was never anywhere safe to stop for a second. Plus you want room for on-the-fly tactical decisions and last minute bunkering down.

With the licence they've got they have a real opportunity to do something that's different from most other FPS's on the market. Left 4 Dead sounds like it might come close for non-linearity of play, but there's no option for things like holing up somewhere (barring things like a new game mode, which given Valve's history with TF2, isn't actually too unlikely a propsition.

If it just becomes a linear sequence of scares and scripted rooms, I'm going to be a sad panda. AvP2 fell foul of this, and it just wasn't the same.

This guy knows the score.

The level design in AvP 1, especially for the alien campaign, is some of the best level design I have ever seen. Basically, you had an objective, and since the levels were huge, you could choose your own course. In addition to the ground based part of the level, there was an entire second part, built specifically for the alien. Man, the alien campaign was so great. I can't begin to express how disappointed I was in the second game's.

Of course, this game presumably doesn't have a single player alien campaign, so it's pretty moot. I hope they make some huge levels for the marines, though. Strict linearity definitely doesn't an alien game any favours. The first AvP is actually the only game in existence that has done respawning enemies right. Actually, Left 4 Dead might be no. 2. It sounds like it does many of the same things that AvP 1 did.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    The level design in AvP 1, especially for the alien campaign, is some of the best level design I have ever seen. Basically, you had an objective, and since the levels were huge, you could choose your own course. In addition to the ground based part of the level, there was an entire second part, built specifically for the alien. Man, the alien campaign was so great. I can't begin to express how disappointed I was in the second game's.

Yeah the game had actual facilities mapped out with proper means of entry and exit purely for the aliens, above what the Marines had. It really allowed for headgames since you could never be sure what was coming from here.

I was especially disappointed with the Alien campaign in AvP2. The campaign was pretty thoroughly linear, which is completely at odds with the nature of how an Alien should be played. You kept having to charge headfirst into enemies, instead of being able to be subtle and circle around in air vents and ceiling spaces and things. You could move on walls but really that just became another floor to walk on since there was no creative outmanoeuvring you could do. The opening levels for that campaign were awesome though. I really loved the atmosphere of the facehugger level.

Although this game not having a singleplayer campaign is something new to me. Are there any decent previews out there I can read?

subedii on
    edited September 2008
    No, it has a single player campaign (I'm not even sure it has multiplayer), but it probably doesn't have a single player campaign where you play as the alien. If it does, I'll be elated.

And yeah, the two opening segments in AvP 2 were by far the best parts. Too bad it turned to shit as soon as you grew into an adult. I'll never forget that first level where you couldn't crawl on the walls because they had put up fucking electric barb wire or some shit. So horrible.

Cherrn on