As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Earthworm Jim! The End!

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oops, my bad then.

RockinX on
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The screams were in both the Sega and Nintendo versions of the game, I just checked on that.

The GBA version, however, is missing the screams.

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I guess my memory was bad then. I know for a fact I'm right on the background for the Evil fight though. At least I got that right.

Gilder on
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think you got the audio balance just right on this video. I always love how the music goes from "Night On Bald Mountain" to the bland, cheesy elevator music, and the screams make it funnier. The snowman is probably my favorite midboss in the game, for whatever reason. He just seems to have a lot of personality for an ambulatory pile of frozen precipitation.

Also, much <3 for the cartoon clips.

Norfair on
  • X-Law-NikX-Law-Nik Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah. The clips from the cartoon are awesome. I watched it when i was younger but the english version is much better. I remember evil the cat sounding like steve urkle in the german version. You never thought that he is really planning something bad. Even though he is just some sort of bad guy wanna be like team rocket from pokemon or proffesor chaos from south park. You never thought that he is even trying to be evil. He was just a cheap laugh back in the days.

Audio is good though. Nice video.

X-Law-Nik on
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Was gonna post that you were wrong about the screams, but Niceguyeddie616 beat me to that.

So... Yay, Earthworm Jim. Great game, and nice to see the parts I missed out on cause I only played the SNES version.
    Clever use of the cartoon clips, too. Never got into the cartoon when it was aired here though, but that just proves even the greatest thing can be utterly destroyed when you dub it in Dutch. *shudders*

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Great Let's Play. I'm generally pretty terrible at games, but every once in a while one comes out and I just end up playing the hell out of it over and over again until I'm awesome at it. Rygar for the NES was one. This game on the SNES was another. It's been so long I don't remember it that well, but I played the heck out of it.

langfor6 on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This game was/is awesome - I loved the endings. It was one of the few games that I cared enough about to finish on all three difficulties.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They really do need to release this on VC/XBLA. Now that they've got Mario RPG up there I'm pretty sure this is the only game that has me holding on to my SNES.

It's supposed to come out sometime this year.
    Earthworm Jim, Earthworm Jim 2, Boogerman and Clayfighter.

bought, bought, maybe, bought.

AWESOME.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Holy shit since when is this on GameTap and how did I not know that before.

Yes they are, haven't tried the second one yet but the first one is the genisis version. Plus, with gametap's save state system thingie, you don't have do it all in one go.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2008
    bee1.gifBees!

Bees are the most annoying enemies to hit in the game. They usually move when you approach them and their hit box is very tiny so your gun usually misses. I am usually okay at fighting them. Sometimes I'm not. This time, it was personal.

bruty3.gifBig Bruty!

Big Bruty is blind but has a keen sense of smell. He also kills you in one hit if he touches you. Therefore, Big Bruty is an asshole. I do not like him.

Video!

bruty.gif

Big Bruty!

Gilder on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If I have one nitpick, it's that you're stopping a bit too much to explain everything before you do it. I know it's kind of hard to talk about the game and focus on playing it at the same time, but instead of coming to a halt and explaining how to get an extra life before you go ahead and get it anyway, why not cut to the chase and just do it?

At any rate, this thread reminds me of how awesome the EJ cartoon was.

"You know how it tastes when you brush your teeth and then drink orange juice?"
    "Ooooh, I hate that!"
    "Yeah, well I love it!"

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You mention some errors in video (sound problem + andy asteroids) but I haven't noticed anything wrong. It was alternating from black/blue for me anyway.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Ben Stein demon was the best.

Speed Racer on
    edited September 2008
    If I have one nitpick, it's that you're stopping a bit too much to explain everything before you do it. I know it's kind of hard to talk about the game and focus on playing it at the same time, but instead of coming to a halt and explaining how to get an extra life before you go ahead and get it anyway, why not cut to the chase and just do it?

At any rate, this thread reminds me of how awesome the EJ cartoon was.

"You know how it tastes when you brush your teeth and then drink orange juice?"
    "Ooooh, I hate that!"
    "Yeah, well I love it!"

Well I want to make sure that everyone knows how to get it if I know how but I don't want to show it off. I almost never get that one life due to the glitchiness of the hoop so I wanted to say how to get it rather than trying and failing and having to do it again. Also some of the lives I just know how to get and if I jump through an invisible wall for it, I want everyone to know I just did that and I didn't do a glitch. My other videos weren't really informative and more me just freaking out and not being very good videos anyway so I'm trying to be a little more informative this time. I can see how that would be annoying though and I'll try to not do that for the last 2 levels. I just recorded Level 5 and For Pete's Sake and I think I did it a few more times. Peter Puppy though I just paused at the start to explain the gimmick because I needed to concentrate on noticing pits and enemies. You can just skip up until I unpause for that video and you won't be missing anything.

Gilder on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    My other videos weren't really informative and more me just freaking out and not being very good videos anyway so I'm trying to be a little more informative this time.

But you're at your best when you don't know what you're doing.

Lost Levels and SMB3 still put me in tears.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, andy asteroids looked just fine.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited September 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    My other videos weren't really informative and more me just freaking out and not being very good videos anyway so I'm trying to be a little more informative this time.

But you're at your best when you don't know what you're doing.

Lost Levels and SMB3 still put me in tears.

Well I was in tears too, but not from laughter.

And about Andy Asteroids, I don't get it. In the first level when I compressed the video it looked all crappy on my end. This time though it turned out fine. I guess maybe the compression got the odd frame out and just showed that one. Hopefully it stays looking fine from now on.

Gilder on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Speaking of, do you have links to your SMB let's plays? I wanted to rewatch the one with the castle in SMB3 the other day but couldn't find them.

Speed Racer on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Speaking of, do you have links to your SMB let's plays? I wanted to rewatch the one with the castle in SMB3 the other day but couldn't find them.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=35568

Well hey, I guess it's the one year anniversary of the start of that thread.

Schide on
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is a good LP, Ive never actually seen this game or the show, only heard about it in whispers.

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Now that GOG is out, and has Earthworm Jim 3d on it (which I know is crap), maybe we'll see EWJ for the PC available to purchase eventually.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I didn't know EWJ 3d was actually released. I only remember seeing screenshots for the n64 I think.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • EndrzGameEndrzGame Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Don't know if it's been posted before in the thread, but if you subscribe to Gametap-like I do-you can play EWJ 1 and 2. I did have them on the Genesis and SCD...good times. :lol:

EndrzGame on
  • tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I always wanted to play EWJ3d, saw it on Gog, and almost bought it. Then I looked it up on youtube. Thank goodness I didn't finish that order.

I have fond memories of being sick with the chicken pox and my mom renting ewj for me. I still get itchy when I play :(

tendoboy101 on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh god I've beaten this game more times than I can count.

One of my favourite platformers of all time.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited September 2008
    Well the final video has been recorded. So still expect a video tomorrow but after that if I just get bored I'll edit the next level and just put it up the next day. The endings also won't be included with the final level and they'll be a separate recording. Sadly they aren't super clear quality but they're still totally understandable. Just a little.... microphoney. I hope it's not too big of an issue.

Gilder on
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Another good video. I'd never seen Big Bruty so I found it pretty interesting. The sound design, though... you were right, it's pretty bad. It sounds like there's just some random noises going on, other than the weird (and kinda disturbing) grunts Big Bruty makes.

Also, "Remember, the wages of sin are death. But the hours are good."

Norfair on
  • Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Awesome job man. Really, one of the best LPs I've ever seen. I love the cartoons mixed in.

I'm gonna check out some of the past LPs you've done.

Omnicron9999 on
    edited September 2008
    blob2.gifPuffy Blob Thing!

These guys are present on Down the Tubes, Tube Race, and Intestinal Distress. They're the only enemy to be present in a world not its original. They've very easy to defeat though so they pose no real threat. Their hitbox can be kind of odd sometimes though.

four2.gifNumber Four!

Number Four is a bodyguard/servant of Bob the Goldfish. He never questions him and just carries him everywhere. Number 1-3 have gone to Kitty Heaven, where the mice don't even run away. It's kind of boring really.

A Hamster I couldn't Find a Picture of!

Yeehaw, ride that critter! This hamster just loves to chomp down on things but he doesn't really like worms. Guess we got a lucky break.

Little Orange Throwing Guys I Couldn't Find a Picture of!

Tossing you around like a sack of dirt Jim just ate, these enemies can be somewhat annoying. However they're a hamsters favorite food so they aren't completely invincible.

bob1.gifBob the Goldfish!

Bob is an intelligent goldfish and wants to train all the fish on his planet to help him rule the universe or whatever. It doesn't really matter because the fish on his planet are extremely dumb. Maybe he should try for dolphins.

Video!

dronecat.gifbobbowl.gif

Down the Tubes + Tube Race!

As of the time of this posting, Gamevee is going slow as all hell and it actually took almost an hour for this to finish encoding. You're free to try and watch but if it's not working you'll have to wait it out. Also things in the video are still slowing down when it has too many sprites and it's really making me angry. Again, if anyone knows a really good way to compress, please tell me. They really shouldn't turn out this bad and I hate it. I've tried every option in Virtualdub though and they all turn out like this.

Gilder on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow that's a broken site. Any chance of a simul-host on Google Video or Youtube?

Khavall on
    edited September 2008
    Youtube has the whole time and file size limit so no to that but I could do google if the site doesn't fix itself soon. I really wish I could use Viddler but they just have a real problem encoding these videos.

Gilder on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I mean there are a ton of video hosting sites, but for me that one loads as a blank page after 10 minutes.

That shit is currently down.

Khavall on
  • crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah gamevee does not like me at all.

crucialityfactor on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, it's just acting up today for some weird reason. If it doesn't get better soon I'll upload a mirror to google.

Gilder on
  • crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's working now. Yay!

crucialityfactor on
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow somehow it took me over a week to notice this thread

Its cool to see some of the levels I never managed to get to in this game since I could never beat the one with the insta kill brute things

Ohtsam on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's being slow again.

SkutSkut on
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Schide wrote: »

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=35568

Well hey, I guess it's the one year anniversary of the start of that thread.

The SMB3 LP is a classic. Gilder went from "SMB3 is one of my favorite games!" to "ARGHH!! I hate this game! I want to die!!". :D

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2008
    I just wanted to tell you guys that I've been experimenting to try and find a way to get rid of that slowdown and I've found a method that works but the picture loses a bit of quality (It's mostly noticeable in Andy Asteroids) and the sound goes mono. I'm tired of messing around with it today though so I'll upload a new version of Down the Tubes tomorrow and I'll let you guys see it. I'm still tinkering with it so I might be able to get Andy Asteroids to look okay.

Gilder on