As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plasma vs Lcd

futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in the market for a new tv and can't figure out what to get. I mean I think lcd is just the way to go, but there are good deals out there for bigger tvs that are plasma. So is there anything bad about getting one?

futility on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Plasmas are heavier and kick out alot of heat.
    If size is your biggest desire, consider an LED DLP Samsung. They come in 61'' and 67'' flavors.

There is a great TV thread in the Technology forum that you should check out.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It used to be that LCDs were for smaller HDTVs (say, under 40"), and Plasmas were for big HDTVs. If you want a TV bigger than the biggest LCD or smaller than the smallest plasma, then your choice is easy, but the overlap gets bigger and bigger as time goes on.

I'd first decide what size of TV to get (or tell us if you have already) and then work from there. This will largely depend on the size of room you want to put it in.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well on the One hand plasma sounds cooler and more fun to say.

I dont know I don't have the money for a plasma so I got a 32inch 1080 lcd. Also I got it off of Amazon and saved about 600 dollars from normal retail. My LCD seems to work pretty good. I don't think that its better than Plasma but being that I don't have mo money mo problems yet I can live with it.

BlackbeardonGuitar on
    n13908669_48529144_9322.jpg
  • Options
    lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got a plasma a few years ago. 42 inch. I wanted an LCD but they didnt make them that big. If I were getting one now, I would go LCD all the way. Or go with the LED DLP suggested above

lizard eats flies on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Basic, inaccurate summary:

Plasma:
    Pros: Cheaper/exist at larger sizes, deeper blacks, better response times, usually have ATSC (digital) tuners
    Cons: Heavy, like "you need two people to move it" heavy; hot; panels usually don't have true HD resolutions (i.e., the native resolution of my 42" 1080i display is actually 1024x768); threat of ghosting forming on the screen if you leave it at a static screen too long; tuner isn't that big of a deal since if you want any HD channels other than the big 4 (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) you will need a box anyway

LCD:
    Pros: Available at smaller sizes, lighter weight, easier to hook a computer up to (usually still have actual DVI inputs and are basically just really big versions of the monitor you have on your desk anyway), more widespread 1080p support
    Cons: Blacks aren't as good as plasmas, and old displays have slower response times (but this is rapidly becoming less of an issue), often they have no tuner (if that sort of thing is important to you)

Honest opinion: I got a 42" plasma early last year. Turns out that is way too big for my current apartment, and it also doesn't support 1080p. In retrospect I should've gotten a smaller LCD that had 1080p, but ah well.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd first decide what size of TV to get (or tell us if you have already) and then work from there. This will largely depend on the size of room you want to put it in.

Yeah, this is important. We need to know both the general size and how far away you plan to be sitting. There's a point at which 1080p is completely useless based on certain size and distance parameters. The reason is that the human eye can't see beyond a certain resolution, so a 32" HDTV that is playing a 1080p signal will look identical to a 32" HDTV playing a 720p signal unless you are maybe 4-5 feet from the TV.

EDIT: Here's a chart

Also, I need to comment on two things about plasma screens that ASimPerson mentioned. First, they no longer have a burn-in/ghosting problem. That's a thing of the past. Secondly, plasma screens over ~50" should be true HD resolution. For 42" Im not surprised it's sub-1080i, but the plasma technology isn't limited at 50" and above.

DLP TV's are very heavy, and they are not really wall-mountable. Keep that in mind.

For sub-50" sizes I'd stick with LCD, beyond that go with plasma.

EDIT 2: Okay, guess my experience with DLP TVs is dated. They aren't very heavy (see below).

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Basic, inaccurate summary:

Plasma:
    Pros: Cheaper/exist at larger sizes, deeper blacks, better response times, usually have ATSC (digital) tuners
    Cons: Heavy, like "you need two people to move it" heavy; hot; panels usually don't have true HD resolutions (i.e., the native resolution of my 42" 1080i display is actually 1024x768); threat of ghosting forming on the screen if you leave it at a static screen too long; tuner isn't that big of a deal since if you want any HD channels other than the big 4 (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) you will need a box anyway

LCD:
    Pros: Available at smaller sizes, lighter weight, easier to hook a computer up to (usually still have actual DVI inputs and are basically just really big versions of the monitor you have on your desk anyway), more widespread 1080p support
    Cons: Blacks aren't as good as plasmas, and old displays have slower response times (but this is rapidly becoming less of an issue), often they have no tuner (if that sort of thing is important to you)

Honest opinion: I got a 42" plasma early last year. Turns out that is way too big for my current apartment, and it also doesn't support 1080p. In retrospect I should've gotten a smaller LCD that had 1080p, but ah well.

Overall this is pretty good advice, but here are a few corrections/additions:
    The heaviness of plasmas, as much as it sounds bad, is not really that much of an issue. If OP is looking at plasma TVs, he is looking at >=42" TVs. Certainly there are LCDs of this size which can be carried alone in terms of weight, but keep in mind that TVs are large and (at this size range) do not generally offer any convenient way to be carried by one person. My 40" LCD weighs something like 45lbs, but I wouldn't move it unaided any significant distance for this reason. The weight is only really a problem, for me at least, if you want to adjust its position (assuming it's on a stand and not a wallmount).

The heat (and equivalently power usage) are pretty overblown; plasmas list the maximum power consumption, but due to the way they work they only use this amount when displaying a solid white screen. Viewing a dark movie or game, for instance, will generally be competitive with LCD power usage.

With regards to the tuner: both plasmas and LCDs of decent size offer tuners pretty much standard. At they very least they should include NTSC and ATSC, and I would definitely recommend QAM if you have cable. I get something like 20 HD channels on my "basic" cable subscription via clear QAM, with no box necessary. Lack of tuner is only really a problem (as far as I've seen) on smaller (<=30") LCDs.

Also, keep viewing angle in mind with LCDs. Generally (decent) LCD TVs seem to use S-PVA screens, so viewing angle problems aren't going to be horrendous, but definitely try to see any model you're considering buying in person to check this out.

Clipse on
  • Options
    BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    grungebox wrote: »

DLP TV's are very heavy, and they are not really wall-mountable. Keep that in mind.

Maybe if you are a girl. :) DLP tv are not that heavy a typical Samsung 50" is under 60lb. The main problem is that they are unwieldy. Bang for the buck a 50" DLP rocks. You can get the non-LED lamp version for under $1000

Beazle on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If LCD TVs freeze they can break. But I doubt you are putting it in your ice house. I heard plasmas need some kind of recharging after a while too. Don't know the truth of that though.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Get a Samsung LCD. It has a mode called "Game Mode" which ratchets up the response time to 4ms. No issues with ghosting with that on. The blacks and depth of color is debatable (I can't tell the difference). For me, the choice of an LCD won out due to the possibility of burn in. Pure and simple, that's what made me go LCD.

I'd never buy a plasma only to have it burn in and not covered by warranty a year later. I've read ranging answers on how possible this is, but for me - to spend 1500 bucks on a TV for even the POSSIBILITY of an image becoming burned in is too much.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    From what I've read online, the recommendation goes: if you watch a lot of movies, go with a plasma, which shows a smoother (but still precise) image, and if you play a lot of video games, go with an LCD, which tends to show a crisper picture, which works better for the "synthetic" images generated by video game consoles.

Disclaimer: I have a 26" LG LCD that does 720p (it can also display 1080i, but I think it just rescales it back down to 720p, as it only has 768 lines of resolution.) My 360 looks really good on it (using the VGA connection, as I got my 360 before HDMI was available for it... the TV itself has an HDMI input) and DVDs look pretty good, too. I've only watched a little HD content on it, as I don't have digital cable nor an HD-DVD or Blu-ray player. I've never noticed any lag in games (I play Guitar Hero on it with no problems.)

In general, LCD technology is progressing fast, while Plasma is moving a little slower. I hereby predict that plasma will become less and less prevalent in the next few years, as LCD, OLED, and that other technology where each pixel is its own CRT (I can't remember the name, but I hear it's the best at producing the richest blacks and the most well-saturated colors) come into their own and take over. LCDs are already dropping in price at a surprisingly fast rate. My current TV sold for about 800$CAN back in Q3 2006. Now you can probably get at least 32" or 36" for the same price, along with full 1080p resolution, an ATSC tuner, and more inputs.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Get a Samsung LCD. It has a mode called "Game Mode" which ratchets up the response time to 4ms. No issues with ghosting with that on. The blacks and depth of color is debatable (I can't tell the difference). For me, the choice of an LCD won out due to the possibility of burn in. Pure and simple, that's what made me go LCD.

I'd never buy a plasma only to have it burn in and not covered by warranty a year later. I've read ranging answers on how possible this is, but for me - to spend 1500 bucks on a TV for even the POSSIBILITY of an image becoming burned in is too much.

That isn't what a game mode setting actually does as the response time is a characteristic of the panel. What it does instead is bypasses some of the video signal processing so that you see a picture that is closer to sync with what the console/whatever is outputting. Also burn is pretty much a myth on newer TVs unless you leave static images up for days at a time.

khain on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DLP TV's are not heavy by any stretch, and are lighter than LCD's. They are just bulky, though thinner than CRT's.

My parents got one of the first Samsung DLP TV's and it felt like we were carrying an empty box in the house.
    The only maintenance you need on a DLP is the bulb has to be changed once in a while, which you can usually get for free under some plans.

rfalias on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    threat of ghosting forming on the screen if you leave it at a static screen too long
    This doesn't really happen that much with modern plasma screens. Almost all plasmas made nowadays have a "pixel saver" feature that periodically shifts the whole images one pixel in a rotating direction, which will usually prevent ghosting. Also, it's possible to reset the screen by having it display a pure white image for a period of time, and most current plasmas have a menu function to do this for a set period of time. At any rate, it's not like rear-projection screens of old, where the only way to get rid of a burnt-in image was the replace the color filters in front of the bulbs.
    There's not much point to getting 1080p on a TV smaller than 42", as in most viewing circumstances you're too far from the TV to perceive the difference between 720p and 1080p, unless you have exceptional visual acuity. Even at 42", you need to be closer than eight feet for the benefit of 1080p to even become visible, and closer than six feet to get full benefit. Unless it costs hardly anything extra to move to a 1080p model, 720p is usually fine in average viewing circumstances for sub-40" TVs.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We got a brand new Samsung 50" plasma about a year and a half ago. About 8 months in, the edges were darker from the bars used in non-widescreen displays. All White and Signal Pattern weren't able to get rid of it. It's only really noticeable on a large bright surface, but it's there.... something to keep in mind.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    with a DLP, you have to factor in the cost of a replacement bulb every few years... if you're a heavy watcher (or you just like to leave the TV on in the background like I do) that might be in as little as 2 years... and set you back another $300

also i've had several friends with DLPs and they all suffered issues with the light engine after a few years... it was more expensive to replace that part than to buy a new TV, so they were basically disposable... the technology might have improved by now, but i'd still consider that issue

plasmas also STILL suffer from burn in, no matter what anyone tells you... so if you play games, watch non 16:9 programming (i.e. with black bars) or watch a lot of news channels (which have stock tickers, or static images) then you'll likely get some burn in... and burn-in is not covered by any manufacturers warranty, or store extended warranty, so beware...

i personally play a lot of games, so i went with a 47" westinghouse 1080p LCD... there is absolutely no ghosting, and no threat of burn in... black level is a little crappy when compared to Plasmas of that generation, but the latest Samsung LCDs have gorgeous black levels on par with any Plasma

illig on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have a 42" LCD and my buddy has a 42" Plasma that we bought at the exact same time. We both agree that mine is better - particularly for gaming. Having said that, Plasmas are generally cheaper.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    for what its worth, i notice ghosting on my plasma. Granted its a couple years old, But people said "oh it shouldnt be a problem" when i bought it

well heres the deal. I like to watch dvds in the correct aspect ratio... i dont like the picture stretched nor do i like it cropped funny. So if the movie or show im watching is in 3:4 aspect ratio, it will have back bars on the side of the screen. Even after watching something this way for a few hours, i'll notice the ghosting effect between the middle and the edges of the screen. Generally this goes away after watching something at full screen for a bit. But it IS there. and if you continue to do stuff like this it IS for all practical purposes permanent. Sure you can do a white screen thing to blank it out... but in reality you are just shortening the life of the tv.

Also it does get really bloody hot. And another thing to note, Plasma TVs need to remain upright, which can be a pain to transport them

lizard eats flies on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    illig wrote: »
    with a DLP, you have to factor in the cost of a replacement bulb every few years... if you're a heavy watcher (or you just like to leave the TV on in the background like I do) that might be in as little as 2 years... and set you back another $300

also i've had several friends with DLPs and they all suffered issues with the light engine after a few years... it was more expensive to replace that part than to buy a new TV, so they were basically disposable... the technology might have improved by now, but i'd still consider that issue

Oh come on, this isn't a fifty page long thread. I suggested LED DLPs in the first post. They use, well, LEDs, not lamps. They last longer than the TV and this also removes the color wheel which was known to cause the Rainbow Effect for some people. Less moving parts, better image, the only DLP you should buy.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Epic_Win_GuyEpic_Win_Guy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Plasmas have one big issue specifically for gaming screen burn i have one and i also have an LCD and the LCD is a much better way to go plus say you have an accident and the Plasma tips over if it still works you may have a delay in the picture if it survives at all

Epic_Win_Guy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I heard you liek
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Isn't that not the case nowadays?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I guess lcd is the way to go then for a 42+" TV and think i may go with this

futility on
  • Options
    L*2*G*XL*2*G*X Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    first of all: good choice, plasmas still burn in if you play video games or watch cnn regularly.

secondly, I calculated my own table on distance/size.

table.png

which I calculated as follows:
    pixels have to be smaller than 0.3 arc-minutes (http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/eye-resolution.html), which is to say 0.005 degrees, if you want them to be unnoticeable. (technically, if you want two black lines separated by a white line to be recognized as such.)
    That's small. The radians is 8,72664626 × 10-5, at which point most calculators will give up the job. The cosine for such an angle is 0,9999999961922823, the sine is 0.00008726646248895445.
    So to get at the size of the pixel given a certain viewing distance, we have to multiply the viewing distance with 1,0000000038077177145, then with 0.00008726646248895445. Which, put together, gets you another ridiculously low number.
    Luckily the viewing distance is meters, so I can easily multiply the last number so we multiply with 0,0872664628212405051. Or 0,0873 for short.

so that 0,0873mm if you're sitting a meter away. Let's look at how big that is in inches diagonal.

For 720px, times 0,0873mm that's 62,856mm in height, which we multiply with 2.04 for the diagonal. This gets us 128,22624 mm or 5,04827717 inch.

For 1080px this gives a diagonal of 7,57241575 inch.

L*2*G*X on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    To keep some perspective - You're not buying into a format or anything. Not like HDDVD or Blu Ray.

So if you see a good deal that has the specs and size that you're after.... Just go for it.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    L*2*G*XL*2*G*X Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Additinal info:

I'd advise you to go for a samsung tv, or a sony (samsung inside), but check here for more info on any tv you like.

Basically there's a lot of difference in quality on three main issues
    -depth and quality of black
    -screen delay (game mode)
    -rendering of normal 26fps movies (the movie mode)

L*2*G*X on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    IMO an avg price/quality plasma beats an avg price/quality LCD for tv/movie watching.

Though I saw a new higher end Samsung LCD (1080P, 52", 120hz) installed at a relatives house. Very impressive video display capability. I thought it was a plasma.

L*2*G*X meant 24P, not 26.

Djeet on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Maybe it's just me, but I find the pixels in all the plasma TV's I've ever seen to be a lot more noticeable and distracting than on LCD's. Am I crazy?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I find the pixels in all the plasma TV's I've ever seen to be a lot more noticeable and distracting than on LCD's. Am I crazy?

yes. Or you looked at the more expensive LCD's and cheaper plasmas.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Fair enough.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Or possibly the video settings were jacked. I've noticed if the contrast/brightness is cranked, any set will look more pixely/noisey.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I just seem to notice the pixels on plasma more. Like there's more black space between each pixel, and everything is more blocky. Everything looks like it has no anti-aliasing.

It's also possible that the people who's plasma set I was watching had a cheaper or older set, but when I'm in Best Buy or somewhere similar, I can tell the plasmas from the lcd's immediately by how blocky the pixels look to me.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

I just seem to notice the pixels on plasma more. Like there's more black space between each pixel, and everything is more blocky. Everything looks like it has no anti-aliasing.

It's also possible that the people who's plasma set I was watching had a cheaper or older set, but when I'm in Best Buy or somewhere similar, I can tell the plasmas from the lcd's immediately by how blocky the pixels look to me.
    I think you are referring to the screen door effect, which is what you see when viewing a 720p set closer than optimal viewing distance. This used to drive me nuts, but it has been rectified for natively 1080p plasma panels, as the physical space between pixels is virtually imperceptible from any distance equal to or greater than optimal content resolution viewing distance.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Sounds like that must be my problem. I don't notice it nearly as much on LCD's. I guess that's fully a personal preference thing, I find the LCD picture to be more pleasing. I think Optimal viewing distance is a little bit subjective too.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Don't forget energy usage. If you watch your power bill every month (I know I do), an LCD uses far less power than a Plasma does on average.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Erandus wrote:
    Sounds like that must be my problem. I don't notice it nearly as much on LCD's. I guess that's fully a personal preference thing, I find the LCD picture to be more pleasing. I think Optimal viewing distance is a little bit subjective too.
    Oh yes, it most certainly is -- especially in terms of ambient viewing conditions and differences in personal visual acuity. I'm speaking strictly in regards to, all else excluded or constant, optimal distance for perceiving detail in natively encoded 1080p content displayed on a fixed-pixel 1080p display, the circumstances which necessitate the closest viewing, and the screen door effect is still no longer evident to most.

Have you checked out any of this generation's 1080p plasma sets? The screen door had me hating plasma until I did so.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I haven't bothered to closely examine a new TV in the last 6-9 months or so, so they may well have caught up.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    apparently the tv I chose was crap (thankfully I didn't run out and buy it). I'm now looking at a 40" samsung I guess.

A dlp tv is neither flat nor lcd nor plasma right?

futility on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    DLP is Digital Light Processing.

It is neither lcd nor plasma. The set is not as slim as either, though it's much slimmer than CRT and fairly slimmer than traditional rear projection.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    good picture. there's a 50" samsung dlp for like 900 at bestbuy

futility on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That is a good deal.

DLP looks sexy.