As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Half-Life 2: Episode 4 officially dead.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    theantipop wrote: »
    Is that why Gorden never needs to eat?

Why would he need to eat? He has medpacks. Haven't you played Chrono Trigger?

jothki on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Good thread. I don't wanna add another essay to it so I'll just place myself in the "HL2 has a good story/whateveryouwannacallit" camp and be done with it.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is that why Gorden never needs to eat?

Gordon is one letter away from being an anagram of Modron. Gordon is a rogue Modron. G-man is an inevitable, a force of law who hasn't comprehended that Gordon has gone rogue (free, if you will), or perhaps is restrained by his axiomatic ties, and therefore works as a lawful negotiator to use Gordon as the will of the inevitables, since Freeman can break the rules of Law that they can't.

Xen is a point of which all planes intersect--Xen is the home of the city of doors.

piL on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I never really got into Half Life 2. I started to play it on PC and again on 360, but I just can't bring myself to finish it.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The question "Why doesn't Gordon eat" could really be said about most video game characters. It's pretty redundant.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The question "Why doesn't Gordon eat" could really be said about most video game characters. It's pretty redundant.

But but but why doesn't he blink/breathe/get tired/get sick?

Kenninator on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I googled Modron and my inner hyper nerd cried tears a joy.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kenninator wrote: »

Well he definitely breaths as you can drown. And I imagine he doesn't get sick because he is the pinnacle of the human form. But you would think maintaining his prowess would require a Phelps-like diet.

theantipop on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Well he definitely breaths as you can drown. And I imagine he doesn't get sick because he is the pinnacle of the human form. But you would think maintaining his prowess would require a Phelps-like diet.

Whatever he wants?

And I guess he gets tired too because he can only sprint for so long.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Toxin01 wrote: »

Whatever he wants?

And I guess he gets tired too because he can only sprint for so long.

He can't sprint. The suit does the sprinting. He can't sprint before he gets the suit. He doesn't eat and shit because the suit feeds him and takes it away. It's a nano suit or something.

I still love to load up half life 1 and listen to the three minute long HEV startup routine. That shit gives me goosebumps. I was pretty dissapointed when the hl2 one didn't do that again.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I googled Modron and my inner hyper nerd cried tears a joy.

Now that I've decided Half-Life takes place in Planescape, I think I like it a hell of a lot better.

piL on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't know what to do here.

We have 6 pages on "a game that was never actually announced and barely anyone knew existed is cancelled"

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    I don't know what to do here.

We have 6 pages on "a game that was never actually announced and barely anyone knew existed is cancelled"

I think now it's a wankfest about how awesome Gordan Freeman is or something.
    Pretty fucking awesome.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Guys. The real question: Why doesn't Gordon Freeman poop? Maybe there's a reason he doesn't take off that suit very often...

El Guaco on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I dunno, guy fights an alien invasion, gets put on ice for years, comes back to fight the new order of things, and manages to swing an uprising towards potential victory over the course of a couple days or so now that he's back?

I'm happy if I get billing done within the first 2 weeks of the month, this guy is educated, proficient with a wide variety of weaponry and endures the unendurable.

He's like Mal meets James Bond meets Kaiser Soze in terms of badassery.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This appears to be the most recent Half-Life 2 thread...

So, prompted in part by this thread, I'm playing through Half-Life 2 again, and plan to head right into the episodes when I'm done. It's my first full playthrough since the year it was released (I've usually stopped partway through the boat sequence).

The game is still wonderful, though it's hard to ignore just how much the episodes improve on the basic formula. Half-Life 2 throws some awesome ideas at you, and then keeps throwing that idea for a long, long while. Some said the vehicle segments were too long, and yeah, I think I have to agree. Many areas stay just past the point of welcome. The episodes are more refined and better paced, in my opinion. No single segment outstays its welcome. I'm really glad they made the move in that direction.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »

So, prompted in part by this thread, I'm playing through Half-Life 2 again, and plan to head right into the episodes when I'm done. It's my first full playthrough since the year it was released (I've usually stopped partway through the boat sequence).

The game is still wonderful, though it's hard to ignore just how much the episodes improve on the basic formula. Half-Life 2 throws some awesome ideas at you, and then keeps throwing that idea for a long, long while. Some said the vehicle segments were too long, and yeah, I think I have to agree. Many areas stay just past the point of welcome. The episodes are more refined and better paced, in my opinion. No single segment outstays its welcome. I'm really glad they made the move in that direction.

I actually think the buggy section in HL2 is fine for length. It doesn't really take too long if you just go speeding on by and don't bother stopping at all the houses and buildings on the way. I see those a s sort of like "sidequests" in the roadtrip, not really necessary. They only really ever provided you with a bit of action and some ammo, and if you're not interested in either then they made it fairly easy to drive on past.

It helps that the section's broken up with sub-missions like defending the farm from the gunship or bringing down the force field.

subedii on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How much time would this guy have to poop anyway? Half-Life basically takes place over the course of a day, maybe more depending on how long Gordon was knocked out at one point. Then he's in stasis for several years, sustained by whatever means the GMan provided, which must have been pretty good. Then he hits the ground running again, for about another day or so.

Gordon Freeman and Jack Bauer would probably be able to relate to each other pretty well.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dusda wrote: »
    Gordon Freeman and Jack Bauer would probably be able to relate to each other pretty well.

Jack: So how's your day been?

Gordon: ...

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Dusda wrote: »

Jack: So how's your day been?

Gordon: ...

Jack: Yea, I know what you mean.

Dusda on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I actually think the buggy section in HL2 is fine for length. It doesn't really take too long if you just go speeding on by and don't bother stopping at all the houses and buildings on the way. I see those a s sort of like "sidequests" in the roadtrip, not really necessary. They only really ever provided you with a bit of action and some ammo, and if you're not interested in either then they made it fairly easy to drive on past.
    That's what I've done this time around. Except in the cases where you HAVE to stop, I've opted to cruise straight through as often as possible.

I think when it comes to forced stops, there are, what, four? Five? There is the force field (1), fighting off the gunship (2), the crane (3), fighting off another gunship (4), and the door/car battery thing (5). That's not counting a few spots where you have to clear cars from the road and the fights that accompany them.

I liked the car battery puzzle, but probably could have done without either than one or the force field.

Anyway, you're right, it wasn't that long a stretch. I just feel like Episode 2 managed to be a little better refined in that regard. HL2 pushed it close, where Ep2 felt perfect.

(On first play through I felt the same way about Ravenholm, too. Fantastic, creepy level, but it came this close to wearing out its welcome.)

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What I've gotten out of this thread thus far:

Some people: OMG, THE GAME MAKERS WANT ME TO USE MY BRAIN AND THINK ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON! WTF?

Others: Well, duh! Valve chose a different but still valid form of storytelling for their game.

Some: WTF HAX!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    But it plays out so well. You think you're through and clear, then you have to drop down into that Pit o' Headcrabsâ„¢ and you're thinking "DAMNIT, GIVE ME A BREAK HERE"

So you eventually scrabble through and out and there's that long mining shaft filled with zombies and the minecart deathcopter, and then you reach the top and there's that burst of blinding light that lets you know you're clear of Ravenholm.

That's the bit I like.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

That's what I've done this time around. Except in the cases where you HAVE to stop, I've opted to cruise straight through as often as possible.

I think when it comes to forced stops, there are, what, four? Five? There is the force field (1), fighting off the gunship (2), the crane (3), fighting off another gunship (4), and the door/car battery thing (5). That's not counting a few spots where you have to clear cars from the road and the fights that accompany them.

I liked the car battery puzzle, but probably could have done without either than one or the force field.

I think the second gunship is actually the end of the driving segment, assuming we're both thinking of the lighthouse section. And I also really liked the car battery puzzle. It's one of those things that's obvious but you feel clever for figuring it out, how to get the battery down from up there and stuff.

Thinking back over it, HL2 had lots of really varied gameplay to it. Most games these days try to go the Halo route and simply provide that 30 seconds of action over and over again.

They were always throwing set-pieces at you, you had the slow intro with no weapons, just pure exploration. You had your standard FPS bits like escaping City 17 which made up the bulk of the gameplay. The airboat section, Ravenholm, buggy ride, invading a prison with an army of ant-lions at your command (that segment was cool). Squad command in the City 17 rebellion, Sniper segment, Citadel segment with the upgraded gravity gun.

They were constantly switching things around and making things varied. Over the series they've continued to try new stuff and refine what they've already done before. Things like the pitch black parking garage or the sniper support sections in Episode 1. Or the helicopter chase or ant-lion caves in Episode 2.

These days it's difficult to find games will to vary the experience and pacing like that, contantly giving you new ideas and scenarios.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    But it plays out so well. You think you're through and clear, then you have to drop down into that Pit o' Headcrabsâ„¢ and you're thinking "DAMNIT, GIVE ME A BREAK HERE"

So you eventually scrabble through and out and there's that long mining shaft filled with zombies and the minecart deathcopter, and then you reach the top and there's that burst of blinding light that lets you know you're clear of Ravenholm.

That's the bit I like.

Except that you've just come out into a desolate train yard that's been overtaken by combine.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think the second gunship is actually the end of the driving segment, assuming we're both thinking of the lighthouse section.
    I didn't count the lighthouse, since it's the end of the driving segment. The first gunship is at the farmhouse, when you first get the rocket launcher, the second one comes just after the crane. The road is blocked with cars and when you get out to clear it a gunship attacks.
    Thinking back over it, HL2 had lots of really varied gameplay to it. Most games these days try to go the Halo route and simply provide that 30 seconds of action over and over again.

They were always throwing set-pieces at you, you had the slow intro with no weapons, just pure exploration. You had your standard FPS bits like escaping City 17 which made up the bulk of the gameplay. The airboat section, Ravenholm, buggy ride, invading a prison with an army of ant-lions at your command (that segment was cool). Squad command in the City 17 rebellion, Sniper segment, Citadel segment with the upgraded gravity gun.

They were constantly switching things around and making things varied. Over the series they've continued to try new stuff and refine what they've already done before. Things like the pitch black parking garage or the sniper support sections in Episode 1. Or the helicopter chase or ant-lion caves in Episode 2.

These days it's difficult to find games will to vary the experience and pacing like that, contantly giving you new ideas and scenarios.
    Absolutely. This is one of the things I love about the HL2 series. You're constantly facing new challenges, and none of them are clunky or ill-advised. They all play out pretty darn well. Many of them would be extended to an entire game by most other developers, but Valve is smart enough to keep the player on his feet with varied gameplay and new things to do. Awesome stuff.

LOVED commanding the ant lions. That might have been my favorite part, aside from the super gravity gun at the end.

I will be sad when Episode 3 spells the end of Half-Life, but will be happy when, two years later, they announce Half-Life 3, and when seven years after that it actually comes out.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I thought Lost had a bible that only went up to the end of the first season and then they just started making shit up

Oh, so it's just like the show then?

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

That's the bit I like.

Except that you've just come out into a desolate train yard that's been overtaken by combine.

Combine that aren't shambling or howling zombies. Or headcrabs.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I thought Lost had a bible that only went up to the end of the first season and then they just started making shit up

Oh, so it's just like the show then?

disappointed.jpg

Dusda on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

That's the bit I like.

The bright light bit is cool, yeah, but I could go with a chunk of Ravenhold being removed. Say, everything between the part where the Father throws you the shotgun, you jump in the tank and those fast-moving zombies rape you to the bit where you wait on the roof for the cable car thing while more fast-moving zombies rape you. The in-between bits aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination (though the respawning enemies in that one courtyard PISSED ME OFF), but like I said, that portion teeters just on the brink of outstaying its welcome. It doesn't, but it gets close.

I'm being very, very nitpicky about a game that as full of awesome as anything else out there, I know.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ravenholm always seemed incredibly long to me because the first time I played I had trouble advancing because I'm really lame/slow about scary parts in games. My second playthrough it went a lot more smoothly, and I think the fact that it's long makes the ending a lot more tense. You think you've gotten out, and then you're in the mineshaft with more scary. But yeah, the bursting light at the end and finally having combine to kill again was a fantastic moment. That was the second time in that game where I thought 'I am Gordon Freeman time to fuck some shit up'. The first time being when Barney throws you the crowbar and I was like IT'S ON ALIENS

God I'm so glad I can talk about Half-Life 2 again with other humans

Snork on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Snork wrote: »

As opposed to...what....your pets?

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    But it plays out so well. You think you're through and clear, then you have to drop down into that Pit o' Headcrabs™ and you're thinking "DAMNIT, GIVE ME A BREAK HERE"

That's the bit I like.

The bright light bit is cool, yeah, but I could go with a chunk of Ravenhold being removed. Say, everything between the part where the Father throws you the shotgun, you jump in the tank and those fast-moving zombies rape you to the bit where you wait on the roof for the cable car thing while more fast-moving zombies rape you. The in-between bits aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination (though the respawning enemies in that one courtyard PISSED ME OFF), but like I said, that portion teeters just on the brink of outstaying its welcome. It doesn't, but it gets close.

I'm being very, very nitpicky about a game that as full of awesome as anything else out there, I know.

I've played through Ravenholme in Synergy, and they cut that courtyard area out entirely, instead sending you to the bit afterwards. And I agree, the courtyard does make Ravenholme feel a bit too long. Without it, it felt just right.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »

It's one of those things where I got the game like a year after everyone played it and a few months after everyone stopped talking about it, so there was never a thread and none of my friends are as enthusiastic about it as I am.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

You ever heard a dog talk about games? It's all Halo 3 this, Madden 08 that.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

That's a dogg, bro.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

That's a dogg, bro.

Well you can see where the confusion came from right?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

That's a dogg, bro.

Actually it's D0g

D0g.jpg

I don't thing he says much though, but he's very loyal.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Sideways baseball cap and beer-bong photoshop needed stat

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    the bursting light at the end and finally having combine to kill again was a fantastic moment.

I really liked that moment too, for the same reason.

Also, because Combine are a wonderful supply of ammo, and zombies... aren't.

Yes, yes, I should gravity gun more. I just like shooting people in the face with the shotgun, and unless the level is generous to me, sometimes that only goes so far when dealing with back to back zombies.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!