As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deleted

2»

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    North Korea is easily the most fucked up country in the world. I mean, there is no other place in history where a populace has been brainwashed to believe the craziest things with such efficiency. Read some eyewitness accounts, it's insane.

I read an account years ago from someone that was there for something. He collected beer bottle labels. He peeled one off from a bottle and was swarmed by secret police wondering if he was a spy.

Echo on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    While we're talking about just how fucked up NK is, I figured I'd post the secret state videos if you haven't seen em. Very intense, and heart breaking stuff.

Part 1

Part 2

couple of more parts and I don't know if it's in these as well but they also sell human meat as pork, and have secret death camps where guards on payed on commision, and often force prisoners to try to "escape" so they can shoot them. Women are raped and when their pregnancy shows too much they are left in fields, tied to poles and left to die.

SkutSkut on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Torgo wrote: »
    I thought this post was about his skills on the mic...sigh.

I think I heard something about North Korea having the world's biggest flag there or something, its supposedly so big it can't really even move in the wind.

Well, when I was on the tour to the DMZ two months ago, it was flapping well. It takes a hell of a lot of wind to get it moving though. It is on one of the largest flag poles in the world though.

The
    largest flag pole.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Gijeong-ri_Flag.jpg

that thing is gigantic.
    Freud would have loved it.

Couscous on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    While we're talking about just how fucked up NK is, I figured I'd post the secret state videos if you haven't seen em. Very intense, and heart breaking stuff.

Part 1

Part 2

couple of more parts and I don't know if it's in these as well but they also sell human meat as pork, and have secret death camps where guards on payed on commision, and often force prisoners to try to "escape" so they can shoot them. Women are raped and when their pregnancy shows too much they are left in fields, tied to poles and left to die.

D:

If ever there was a country that actually needed to be "liberated"I think NK would be it.

Falx on
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Pretty shocking to actually see footage rather than just hear about it.

Almost as shocking is the guy that posted the videos on Youtube. I clicked on his "channel" to look for the rest of the series, and let's just say I won't be subscribing to it.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Torgo wrote: »
    I thought this post was about his skills on the mic...sigh.

I think I heard something about North Korea having the world's biggest flag there or something, its supposedly so big it can't really even move in the wind.

Well, when I was on the tour to the DMZ two months ago, it was flapping well. It takes a hell of a lot of wind to get it moving though. It is on one of the largest flag poles in the world though.

The
    largest flag pole.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Gijeong-ri_Flag.jpg

that thing is gigantic.
    Freud would have loved it.

I asked the military guard that took us on the DMZ tour, and he couldn't confirm it was the largest flag pole in the world. I had asked him, "That's the world's largest flag on a pole, right?" That's what I had read, so I wanted to talk to someone that had North Korean guns pointed at him day in and day out to confirm.

He just said, "If it isn't it's one of the top five."

He must have been new.

If they had made it any larger, the flag would rip itself apart due to it's own weight, so there is an upper limit on their flag technology. Soldier of Fortune will pay cash for any person to ever bring back a piece of that flag while North Korea is still at war with South Korea, by the way. (According to the First DMZ tour I took.)

ENOUGH about the flag.

No one knows enough about what's happening internally in North Korea to really be able to substantiate any of these rumors. If the absence of Kim Jong Il is an indication of anything, it's that the policies of juchae are continuing despite a visible leader. Unless this absence leads to actual CHANGE in North Korea, it doesn't matter who is running the country.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Marlor wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    yes, they actually believe that shit. Or at least cram it down the throats of their citizens.

Even better is the constant media attention on the wall that South Korea (and the US) built along the border with the North (in the DMZ). The DPRK media states that the construction of the massive wall shows that the South has no plans to reunite. The South has blatantly ignored all pleas from the North to tear the wall down in the name of reconciliation, and refuses acknowledge that the wall is causing tensions. The issue is a major part of the DPRK propaganda against the South.
    The wall doesn't actually exist.

D:

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    After the McCain/Palin rally in Fairfax, VA today I met South Korean reporters for the Dong-A Ilbo newspaper. I turned the conversation to about Kim Jong and they're worried that his successor may be worse of a tyrant.

LondonBridge on
  • TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    After the McCain/Palin rally in Fairfax, VA today I met South Korean reporters for the Dong-A Ilbo newspaper. I turned the conversation to about Kim Jong and they're worried that his successor may be worse of a tyrant.

Koreans worried about the crazy leader of their geopolitical rival? Really? No kidding they are worried that there could be an even crazier leader in the works. With North Korea being unreadable, China ascendant, and the United States stretched so thin, there IS reason to worry that an unknown force could prompt a military conflict that would be undesireable. When your capital is literally 40km from the border of a hostile country, that's just a pragmatic fact.

It's not any different than them worrying about McCain being elected really. (No, I'm not implying he is a terrorist, or as bad as Kim Jong Il, don't misread.) South Korea has a problem if McCain is elected, seeing as he would stop talking to the North Koreans completely and send us back to the "Axis of Evils" "No negotiations with Terrorist" stance of the early Bush years.

McCain's bellicose threats to other countries that oppose the United States also don't endear him to anyone on the pennisula.Kim Jong Il isn't loved either, but damn if that guy is smart enough to realize no one really WANTS a conflict. He's milking the international politics of a poor country with a brutal political system and failed economic system for all they are worth, and the United States has been playing into their hands for a long time. McCain's proposals are not the way of progress or peace with the North Koreans regardless of the leader of that country.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    saggio wrote: »
    Marlor wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    yes, they actually believe that shit. Or at least cram it down the throats of their citizens.

Even better is the constant media attention on the wall that South Korea (and the US) built along the border with the North (in the DMZ). The DPRK media states that the construction of the massive wall shows that the South has no plans to reunite. The South has blatantly ignored all pleas from the North to tear the wall down in the name of reconciliation, and refuses acknowledge that the wall is causing tensions. The issue is a major part of the DPRK propaganda against the South.
    The wall doesn't actually exist.

D:

I watched a Documentary the other day where they said the opposite. It was an external Documentary that exposed some of the horrible stuff going on in North Korea, but officals took them to see the Wall. It is there. In this case, it's actually the South Spinning the lies and not the North. The documentary said the wall can't actually be viewed from the South, as the South have built Sand Dunes in front of it to block it from view.

You couldn't see it on camera, but both the presenter and the Cameraman looked down binoculars and saw the wall, and said that their eyes weren't decieving them. Since the documentary was so truthful about the other horrible stuff going on, I can only conclude that they were telling the truth.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    hes so ronry hes dead?

had to be said.

Dunadan019 on
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I watched a Documentary the other day where they said the opposite. It was an external Documentary that exposed some of the horrible stuff going on in North Korea, but officals took them to see the Wall. It is there. In this case, it's actually the South Spinning the lies and not the North. The documentary said the wall can't actually be viewed from the South, as the South have built Sand Dunes in front of it to block it from view.

I've seen stills from that documentary, and what they show might be a section of wall (possibly a relic from the war), or it could be a section of a hill that has been cut-out. It certainly doesn't prove the DPRK claims.

The DPRK claim that the wall spans the entire border (240km), is eight metres tall, 20m wide at the base, and has gun turrets all along it. Construction supposedly started in the 1970s.

How could something like that be kept a secret? Surely it would be visible from the air, especially if the south side was packed with sand dunes. Google Maps has fairly high-resolution images of the DMZ... you can actually see trees and cars in Daeseong-dong. You would think the wall would also be visible there if it existed.

It's actually interesting checking out the DMZ on Google Maps... here is the shadow of the infamous flagpole:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=37.945881,126.655439&spn=0.002267,0.005477&t=h&z=18

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So a Japanese expert on North Korea, likely the one the OP cited, is claiming that Kim Jong-Il actually died in 2003 of diabetes and four lookalikes were groomed to take his place, and it's those that we've been seeing ever since.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article4692472.ece

Dalboz on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dalboz wrote: »
    So a Japanese expert on North Korea, likely the one the OP cited, is claiming that Kim Jong-Il actually died in 2003 of diabetes and four lookalikes were groomed to take his place, and it's those that we've been seeing ever since.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article4692472.ece

Tells a lot about North Korea that I wouldn't be surprised if that happened to be true...

DarkCrawler on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Really? They forgot to add the line back in? What kind of starved, conscripted photoshoppers do they have in North Korea anyway?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    Really? They forgot to add the line back in? What kind of starved, conscripted photoshoppers do they have in North Korea anyway?
    The starved conscripted kind?

Quid on
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow, they might as well have added in a picture of Bigfoot and nudes of Mary Kate Olsen and Michelle Obama.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    About the discrepency between the shadows cast by people's legs, it seems like that may have more to do with the kind of pants orn by KJI and the soldiers. The soldiers' pants bunch inwards towards the bottom and flare outwards towards the top, whereas KJI's pants are mostly vertical, so the shadows are just matching this.

As for the line that's missing, this doesn't seem to work with the line of odd pixels by KJI. If he was added in and the strange pixels are the boundary between the altered image and the insertion of KJI, then it would seems that they only added in a very small section - just KJI and a pixel or three to either side. In this case however, why would they erase the whole line between the two soldiers, rather than pasting him in and adjusting the two or three pixels of the inserted image to have the line in it? It seems kind of odd...

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As much as I honestly and truely hope the people of NK are liberated and that these horrible atrocities are eliminated, I find the stuff absolutley fascinating.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There is an officer on the right hand side wearing straight pants, and his shadow is also slightly at odds with Kim's.

However, the black line does not necessarily have to extend all the way across. Who's to say it doesn't drop down or disappear where the two soldiers are standing?

And if they have so many pictures of Kim lying around to photoshop into things, why wouldn't they just send us old unreleased photos that aren't photoshop'd?

A weird photo either way.

James on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    James wrote: »
    There is an officer on the right hand side wearing straight pants, and his shadow is also slightly at odds with Kim's.

However, the black line does not necessarily have to extend all the way across. Who's to say it doesn't drop down or disappear where the two soldiers are standing?

And if they have so many pictures of Kim lying around to photoshop into things, why wouldn't they just send us old unreleased photos that aren't photoshop'd?

A weird photo either way.

That was my first thought. Especially from a group of people who are doing this for PR purposes, they would want everything even and matching. Or maybe they just used the lines to arrange the shot evenly.

The shadow is a bit odd.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've done some convincing stuff in PS before. That's not super blatant, but it really DOES look like a 'shop job. The inconsistent shadow (which is not a product of the straight pants) and 'mismatched pixels' look pretty convincing. I wouldn't rule out the black line, but yeah, it could very well just go down behind the soldiers.

UnknownSaint on
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Whats more damning is the shadow OF the legs not on the legs. Look at all of the soldiers, that shadow is skewed to the leftish, while Dear Leaders is pretty much straight up and down.

joshua1 on