As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Photoshop/illustrator help adding axis lines

mtsmts Dr. Robot KingRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, need some photoshop/illustrator advice

i have several readouts from a meter that i need to recreate electronically. what i need to make are both axis with hash marks/scale

i have an electronic tracing of the readout. the people who taught me how to get the tracings used illustrator/photoshop and i can't seem to find an easy way to do it.

the tracing has hash marks on it to represent the scale.

what i ultimately need is to remove those hash marks, add axis lines with labels to it to make an individual graph. at that point i need to combine 16 of those individual graphs into one figure.

i tried playing around with illustrator but couldn't seem to get it to do what i wanted it to. (e.g. group the two lines for bars to make one object)

so help me out. hope its clear what i need to do and i am photoshop retarded

camo_sig.png
mts on

• Options
    mellowshipslinkymellowshipslinky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    mts wrote: »
    i tried playing around with illustrator but couldn't seem to get it to do what i wanted it to. (e.g. group the two lines for bars to make one object)

If all you're doing is working with vector graphics, I'd just stick with illustrator and forget photoshop. Personally, I hate doing vector stuff in Photoshop... it's supposed to be a photo editing program, after all.

Anyway, I'm not sure I get what you're trying to do exactly, but can't you just command-g (or whatever the windows equivalent is... you can also go under the "object" menu) to group separate objects together? Is that what you're trying to do? They can then be ungrouped (shift-command-g).

You could also convert the strokes to outlines (under object>path), then they'll be really thin rectangles. You can then use pathfinder to essentially meld them together into a single shape. I don't know why you'd really want to do it that way, though, unless you're trying to avoid weird things happening when you scale the object (although this can be avoided by going into preferences>general and making sure "scale strokes and effects" is selected).

Hope that helps?

mellowshipslinky on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    basically i get a printout off the machine on a grid. there really is no way to recreate that by graphing so it is traced on with a tablet into photoshop. i put hashmarks on it so i could mark the scale which is important. i need to make it look like a scientific figure

i was able to group things with illustrator, but it seemed to come ungrouped/add things to groups if i added any new lines

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    mts wrote: »
    i was able to group things with illustrator, but it seemed to come ungrouped/add things to groups if i added any new lines

That's... weird. I'm not really sure why it would be doing that, at least not without tinkering around with the file myself or seeing exactly what you yourself are doing when working on it.

So... you have a printout of a graph, which you are now trying to recreate with vector graphics on the computer. What's your goal behind grouping things? Is it just because creating groups makes the graph easier to work with? If that's the case, you could try dividing it up into layers instead, maybe.

If you're still having trouble, maybe post some screenshots of exactly what you're working with/doing? That might help me or somebody else offer better advice.

mellowshipslinky on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yea. it was weird

i was grouping things to try and make it easier to move it around. Also i have 16 of these to make and if i could copy and paste things, it would speed things up considerably

so after my last posting i was tinkering around with photoshop and was able to get something what i wanted using layers and then collpapsing the layers to combine things. seemed to work, i just need to play with line thickness since when i shrunk it, i lost lines.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Good to hear you figured something out. With the creative suite there's about a bajillion ways to accomplish any one thing, so there's almost always some way of working around weird problems (if you're crafty enough :) )

mellowshipslinky on