As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hooking up a 3-prong dryer to a 4-prong outlet.

JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
My landlord sold me a 3 year old washer and dryer (two seperate items) but I'm having trouble now hooking them up. When I take the plate off the back of the dryer it has 3 spots; red, white and pale greenish. The green wire loops back around and screws into the body of the dryer so it would be the ground yes? The problem is that my socket on the wall is a 4 prong (I have a 4 prong cable) but the actual washer has only the 3 prongs.

Any suggestions?

Joeslop on

• JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Looking around on the Internet, I may have an idea of what to do. Black to black, red to red, white to the green, and attach the green to the dryer on the outside where it loops back on itself?

Joeslop on
  • codetrapcodetrap Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are you sure this is a good idea? Aren't 4 prong plugs usually 240? and 3 (hot, neutral, ground) usually 110? Perhaps you should hire an electrician to come and take care of this problem for you? Otherwise...
    this has all the elements of a future darwin award.

codetrap on
    < insert witty comment here>
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had to change the cable plug thing on one of my units. It's bloody simple, but since my cable was brand new, it had directions. I'd say check on-line or go to a Home Depot and check the directions on their new packages.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    thing and other thing

the hookups are pretty standardized, so you could snoop around sites the various manufacturers' sites and look at manuals. if you bought new, it would likely have included both cables. it's completely normal to swap this out so it works at your place of installation.

Djeet on