As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moment of the Week 09/10/08

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    kdrudy wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »

And did anyone pick up Deadpool? I want to get it, but it's Daniel Way

It wasn't too bad, the way he writes Deadpool isn't as off putting as one would initially think as it still kind of fits him. The end of the book has a great history of Deadpool at the end.

It was really vague, but I guess they were trying to brush pretty fast.

Anyways, my only real complaint is Deadpool's "hallucinations" that Way likes to do, but even they weren't overbearing. The Skrulls sounded kind of stupid sometimes (Oh shit! got repetitive), but yeah. The issue was average for me, could have been worse.

I really didn't like the way he did that in Wolverine, and that's actually my main worry. I'm all for his idea of having Wade become more of a player in the marvel universe.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »
    FC Requiem. Anti-life equation
    i'd read it but my god the art

summarize please?

I don't think the art's bad. It's not great, especially since Rucka was saying it's the best art for anything he's ever written

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    kdrudy wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »

And did anyone pick up Deadpool? I want to get it, but it's Daniel Way

It wasn't too bad, the way he writes Deadpool isn't as off putting as one would initially think as it still kind of fits him. The end of the book has a great history of Deadpool at the end.

It was really vague, but I guess they were trying to brush pretty fast.

Anyways, my only real complaint is Deadpool's "hallucinations" that Way likes to do, but even they weren't overbearing. The Skrulls sounded kind of stupid sometimes (Oh shit! got repetitive), but yeah. The issue was average for me, could have been worse.

Its off to an OK start... hopefully this builds to a decent series.

I was rather worried right up to the last page of the issue that they were going to just ignore the other series, but then I read through the history at the end and it seems like they put it there to get new readers caught up so they can build off it, which is good!

and RE: the hallucinations - They haven't been too over the top, which is good. I'm hoping that it leads somewhere, same with the multiple thought bubbles. Deadpool saying something along the lines of "I think I'm hallucinating again." leads me to believe Way is going to explain whats going on, or at least touch on it as a plot point. He could have an arc with Deadpool's fracturing psyche or something, could be good.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FC Revelations.
    Oh shit Vandal Savage is Cain.

The only thing I didn't like is that the anti-life crisis is actually a bunch of recitable words. Loneliness + despair etc. It would be better if I didn't ahve to picture mobs of people yelling, "Loneliness plus despair plus self worth divided by mockery multiplied by ... !"

Lux on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Seriously, who has the Life Equation? Is it just Hope+Happiness+Loyalty etc?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    FC Revelations.
    Oh shit Vandal Savage is Cain.

The only thing I didn't like is that the anti-life crisis is actually a bunch of recitable words. Loneliness + despair etc. It would be better if I didn't ahve to picture mobs of people yelling, "Loneliness plus despair plus self worth divided by mockery multiplied by ... !"

i think perhaps it's meant to be more an inducement of those particular feelings in that particular sequence is what unlocks the anti-life equation in the human brain. maybe it's the explanation for serial killers in the dcu, that they have had these feelings in this order and it breaks their brain but now the feelings are, ah, viral?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    im going to bet it will be explained as those words are how the human(oid) brain interprets the actual anti-life equation. like if you're stating the equation it actually sounds like #VGE&%G#ew@#$432*^423@$#^3g but you just hear like "hopelessness, despair, etc"

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    For the record I really like the art in FC: Revelations

I wonder if they'll actually make Question and Batwoman important this time

Oh and hey did anyone else notice in SI 6 that
    Thor's spell didn't summon the Sentry?

I bet part of Dark Reign is either going to be Sentry being too dead to stop Tony, or Tony controlling his zombie corpse to keep everyone else in line.

Oh, and "Well, you should have thought of that before you found it funny to turn our brothers into cows." is pretty much the greatest line ever

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, Jesus. Greg Rucka read Snow Crash.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ChalkboredChalkbored Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    For the record I really like the art in FC: Revelations

I wonder if they'll actually make Question and Batwoman important this time

Oh and hey did anyone else notice in SI 6 that
    Thor's spell didn't summon the Sentry?

I bet part of Dark Reign is either going to be Sentry being too dead to stop Tony, or Tony controlling his zombie corpse to keep everyone else in line.

Oh, and "Well, you should have thought of that before you found it funny to turn our brothers into cows." is pretty much the greatest line ever
    Thor wasn't actually teleporting/transporting people to New York, he was just banging the ground really really hard with his hammer and calling down lightning to call out the Skrulls.

Chalkbored on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That was my impression too

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah - It wasn't a spell, it was a signal.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm betting Cassie just cold cocks the bastard.
    w

what?
    I think he means Stature-tory is just going to punch Skrullactus in the face and that'll be that.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

summarize please?
    Starts out with Renee Montoya being cornered on the ship by the Spectre. He wants to kill her for all the shit she did when she was double-agenting for the order of the stone. Crispus offers her a moment of mercy by teleporting her to gotham to see Batwoman one last time, but the spear of destiny gets left behind in the process. She sees her getting the shit kicked out of her, but can't help, and Spectre teleports her again to atop Gotham PD near the batsignal. She's about to get executed when the Spirit of Mercy shows up, tells the Spectre to let her live, and then Spectre kind of punches her in the face. She says something about turning the other cheek and Spectre reverts to Crispus Allen, screaming out asking why she couldn't save his son. Back with the spear of destiny, they arrive on an island, and stab Vandal Savage with it, and oddly enough he seems okay with that. He turns into Cain apparently, with the darkseid symbol on his face, and asks where the Spectre is, whom he wants to murder in the face.

Back in Gotham, some officers arrive at the top of the building, and are like what the fuck are you doing here and then they walk into the light and they're all affected by the anti-life equation. Spectre tries to knock them off the roof but can't touch them, just like he wouldn't hurt Libra. They start speaking it to Renee and the Spirit of Mercy ports her away again, to an alley. She finds Batwoman lying face down and goes over to her. It ends with Batwoman waking up, grabbing Montoya by the throat, and starting to recite the anti-life equation.

This is why I can never read DC comics because there's too much WTF to sift through.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Slagmire wrote: »

summarize please?
    Starts out with Renee Montoya being cornered on the ship by the Spectre. He wants to kill her for all the shit she did when she was double-agenting for the order of the stone. Crispus offers her a moment of mercy by teleporting her to gotham to see Batwoman one last time, but the spear of destiny gets left behind in the process. She sees her getting the shit kicked out of her, but can't help, and Spectre teleports her again to atop Gotham PD near the batsignal. She's about to get executed when the Spirit of Mercy shows up, tells the Spectre to let her live, and then Spectre kind of punches her in the face. She says something about turning the other cheek and Spectre reverts to Crispus Allen, screaming out asking why she couldn't save his son. Back with the spear of destiny, they arrive on an island, and stab Vandal Savage with it, and oddly enough he seems okay with that. He turns into Cain apparently, with the darkseid symbol on his face, and asks where the Spectre is, whom he wants to murder in the face.

Back in Gotham, some officers arrive at the top of the building, and are like what the fuck are you doing here and then they walk into the light and they're all affected by the anti-life equation. Spectre tries to knock them off the roof but can't touch them, just like he wouldn't hurt Libra. They start speaking it to Renee and the Spirit of Mercy ports her away again, to an alley. She finds Batwoman lying face down and goes over to her. It ends with Batwoman waking up, grabbing Montoya by the throat, and starting to recite the anti-life equation.

This is why I can never read DC comics because there's too much WTF to sift through.

That is literally one of the stupidest thing I've ever hear someone say.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Slagmire wrote: »

summarize please?

That is literally one of the stupidest thing I've ever hear someone say.

How is it stupid? I'm not saying DC's bad - but a lot of the titles these days have so much going on that it's seems more trouble then it's worth to begin to keep up.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    question about SI
    did the scrulls have a plan for dealing with Thor

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    question about SI
    Closest thing I can think of is Pym making Clor to alienate the Aesir. But otherwise, I don't think so.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What was with the Wasp comments they made in SI? Is she gonna explode or something?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Frankly I hope both Pyms get kicked off the Avengers, because Hank frankly needs to deal with his eomtional problems, and Jan is a manipulative bitch.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, Wasp took some formula made by Skrull-Pym...

mattharvest on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Ah, that's right.

I still think it would be awesome if Skrull-Pym ended up just beinng Pym.

Also, anyone read Ultimate Origins? That was kind of an unexpected Spidey tie-in.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Ah, that's right.

I still think it would be awesome if Skrull-Pym ended up just beinng Pym.

Also, anyone read Ultimate Origins? That was kind of an unexpected Spidey tie-in.

Yeah. I've been really enjoying Ultimate Origins.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    flagrant porkflagrant pork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A stupid MOTW, but I really enjoyed the Charlie Brown quote in Criminal. Reading it just gave me that feeling that it was from some cool and obscure noir story that I've probably never seen and then... Charlie Brown. It started the comic off with a smile for me.

flagrant pork on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Keith wrote: »

summarize please?

I don't think the art's bad. It's not great, especially since Rucka was saying it's the best art for anything he's ever written

Jesus, really? The best art ever? I haven't read much of Rucka's DC stuff, but Steve Lieber and Bryan Lee O'Malley alone destroy the FC: Revelations guy.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    isnt Phillip Tan the artist on that? I thought he was like a big deal or something

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    question about SI

Well, I guess
    Well, Their plan was invading Asgard too but seemingly it didnt worked out as they planned it to be.

My motw is also from SI#6
    Howard the Duck standing at the fronts!

Dreamon on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    question about SI

The Skrulls launched an assault on Asgard as shown in the Secret Invasion: Thor miniseries

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ha!

I had just noticed that myself. That's a nice touch.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This thread needs more scans.

Jester313 on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    question about SI

The Skrulls launched an assault on Asgard as shown in the Secret Invasion: Thor miniseries

I wasn't aware of that. Anyone have scans?

mattharvest on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I actually thought that was a little forced. I mean I know that the whole point of Origins is to show how everything in the Ultimate U. is connected, but for some reason this Spider-Man connection felt a little too...almost fan-fictiony. May just be me.

As for Deadpool, I'm kind of shocked how much I actually enjoyed it. The "'Pool-o-Vision" crap and the internal dialogue bug the hell out of me because they come completely out of nowhere (Deadpool's never exhibited those traits before), but they weren't as prevalent here as they were in Way's Wolverine: Origins issues. Also, I thought the Skrull "oh shit" moments were funny. Also also, the art was pretty.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    The Spider-Man connection made sense to me
    His dad worked on the project, not a big leap since we know Richard was a big smarty-pants
    Mrs Parker bringing little Peter to pick Daddy up from work isn't completely unbelievable, either

Me Too! on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It does mean Eddie Brock's whole theory is shot to shit though.

But that's ok.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2008
    Holy crap, Invincible #52

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    The Spider-Man connection made sense to me
    His dad worked on the project, not a big leap since we know Richard was a big smarty-pants
    Mrs Parker bringing little Peter to pick Daddy up from work isn't completely unbelievable, either

Yeah, I mean, those parts do make sense. It's the fact that there was a connection in the first place that seems like fanfiction to me. "EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED MAN".

I'm having a nerd-outrage reaction to the basic premise of the book, don't mind meeeee.

Actually, now that I think about it, I know what the whole "everything is connected" aspect of Ultimate Origins reminds me of: Shocker: Legit.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Also, damn,
    Richard Parker
    is a really shitty scientist-who-works-on-secret-projects if he
    lets his wife know where he works.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    flagrant porkflagrant pork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dreamon wrote: »
    question about SI

Well, I guess
    Well, Their plan was invading Asgard too but seemingly it didnt worked out as they planned it to be.

My motw is also from SI#6
    Howard the Duck standing at the fronts!
    Inserted right underneath that left tit too. Question though, in that big two page spread, who's the gorilla in the bottom right?

flagrant pork on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Holy crap, Invincible #52

yes

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008