As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WoW: WotLK Release Date Set at 11/13/08 [Chat and General Discussion]

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Here, GC put it a lot more eloquently than I could:
    Sorry we could not get this out ahead of time to give you a head's up.

We have posted in many of the class forums already explaining why you saw so many changes to abilities and numbers this time around. The designers sat down and ran through every spell and talent in the game. We were looking for the following:

-- Mechanics that we didn't think we'd be able to get working right. They might feel off or buggy. For some of these, it was time to change them and move on.
    -- Talents that were confusing, trying to do too many things or just weird for some reason.
    -- Talents or abilites that gave too much of one class' special abilities to another class. This is a tough one. Sometimes an ability feels so useful that we need to spread the love. Other times we fear the classes are just blending too much together if everyone does the same thing.
    -- Looking for talents or abilities that were under or over budget.

Let me explain that last part in a little more detail. We balance most of the game to a budget. We have an idea for example that a talent point should be worth around a 1% dps increase. For a variety of reasons, it doesn't always work out that way and there are plenty of examples of talents that violate that goal -- it's not a hard and fast rule. But there were many talents that were doing too much for their cost. Talents that offer so much for their points quickly become mandatory. They may be fun in that you get a lot for your money, but they work against the design goal of being able to build a customized talent tree for your character. They also make spec parity or class balance a lot harder when there are these inflated numbers scattered throughout the talent trees. Some talents were under-budget and were buffed, but to be fair, most were over-budget, which is just the human nature of designers when we're trying to come up with something cool and exciting.

What this patch was NOT was a comprehensive numbers pass. We didn't nerf you because your healing, dps or mitigation was too good compared to other classes. We really don't have enough data yet to make those conclusions (especially in PvP), but we're getting more and over every day, both internally and from helpful beta testers.

What can you do? Get out there and try out the build. There are probably some cases where we nerfed an ability too far. These changes are not set in stone. The game isn't done. Please try and be clear and concise in your feedback because that makes it a lot easier for the designers and community managers to quickly read your posts. If you lost an ability that you felt you desperately needed or were really excited about, that's useful feedback.

We love all of the classes, and ultimately the best outcome from our point of view is for everyone to be excited to start leveling when Lich King goes live. That means giving you mechanics you're excited about, but it also means not getting destroyed or totally outdone by other classes with talents or spells that are too good.

Hopefully the next patch or two will have more numbers changes to get everyone closer to parity. But I don't need to remind you that this is a big, complex game, and it's going to take some time.

[ Post edited by Ghostcrawler ]

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Caedere wrote: »
    They are not mistakes when it's still in beta.

You seem to not understand the core point - NONE OF THIS IS FINAL. By definition, they're "overtweaking" - that's how you get good data. You go to one extreme, and then the other, and then you finetune it a couple variables at a time.

What I'm saying is very, very simple: Beta is a messy process and if you panic or freak out over any changes then it's stupid, because the dev team will deliberately make ridiculous changes in order to gather data and feedback to help make balanced changes.

I realize it's not final, you don't understand that I'm talking about efficiency of testing. It's more efficient to adjust by 30-40% in one way or another, to values that appear reasonable, as opposed to by 100%, or 200%, which then "wastes" a beta push, and testing of that talent is now a waste of time on the part of the beta testers.

See the Lock and Load example again. The very same day that they say it now procs one extra shot, they say that it's now going to proc two extra shots. They already realized their mistake, but now it has to wait till the next beta push. Obviously, at what point something is overtuned to utterly ridiculous, is subjective. But I think you can go so far as to reach widespread consensus(Titan's Grip at -50% would be), and upon such a change being made, testing of that change would provide no value, and few people if any would even spec into it to test it.

The vast majority of cases of an ability being nerfed too far, are still good changes for testing, but not all.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    They are not mistakes when it's still in beta.

You seem to not understand the core point - NONE OF THIS IS FINAL. By definition, they're "overtweaking" - that's how you get good data. You go to one extreme, and then the other, and then you finetune it a couple variables at a time.

What I'm saying is very, very simple: Beta is a messy process and if you panic or freak out over any changes then it's stupid, because the dev team will deliberately make ridiculous changes in order to gather data and feedback to help make balanced changes.

I realize it's not final, you don't understand that I'm talking about efficiency of testing. It's more efficient to adjust by 30-40% in one way or another, to values that appear reasonable, as opposed to by 100%, or 200%, which then "wastes" a beta push, and testing of that talent is now a waste of time on the part of the beta testers.

See the Lock and Load example again. The very same day that they say it now procs one extra shot, they say that it's now going to proc two extra shots. They already realized their mistake, but now it has to wait till the next beta push. Obviously, at what point something is overtuned to utterly ridiculous, is subjective. But I think you can go so far as to reach widespread consensus(Titan's Grip at -50% would be), and upon such a change being made, testing of that change would provide no value, and few people if any would even spec into it to test it.

The vast majority of cases of an ability being nerfed too far, are still good changes for testing, but not all.

Who are you to say that it wastes a beta push? Who are you to say that it's wasting time?

Again - this isn't about you or beta testers. It's about data for the dev team. Since you're not on the dev team, you don't have any right to say what's a waste and what isn't, or what's useless data and what isn't.

Your job as a tester is to test and provide constructive feedback to the developers and also to provide raw data.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
    edited September 2008
    I guess there's not much more to say when your argument is that Blizzard is infallible(and uh, I may be wrong about what's a waste or isn't, but I have every right to say it).

Septus on
    edited September 2008
    I guess there's not much more to say when your argument is that Blizzard is infallible(and uh, I may be wrong about what's a waste or isn't, but I have every right to say it).

My argument isn't that they're infallible - I wish you'd stop putting words in my mouth.

I'm merely stating that you're not in a position to judge what's a "waste of time" and what isn't - you don't have the right. You're just another random person without the faintest clue as to what Blizzard's intentions are, like any other beta tester.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My argument isn't that they're infallible - I wish you'd stop putting words in my mouth.

I'm merely stating that you're not in a position to judge what's a "waste of time" and what isn't - you don't have the right. You're just another random person without the faintest clue as to what Blizzard's intentions are, like any other beta tester.

Wuh? So, it's not that Blizzard is incapable of error, just that it is impossible for anyone who is not Blizzard to know if Blizzard has made an error. That makes perfect sense.

(That does not actually make sense at all)

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    With that penalty to yellow damage on titan's grip my geuss is they are trying to figure out how to balance it so that the DPS from it is matched by other DPS classes. And if they aren't satisfied with reducing the accuracy of a Warriors yellow attacks, and the speed decrease wasn't satisfactory, will Titan's Grip reach live?

Seg on
    edited September 2008
    cncaudata wrote: »

Wuh? So, it's not that Blizzard is incapable of error, just that it is impossible for anyone who is not Blizzard to know if Blizzard has made an error. That makes perfect sense.

(That does not actually make sense at all)

That's not what I'm saying.

Septus stated that the damage changes in this latest patch are a waste of a beta push and a waste of time for beta testers, and I'm saying that he's in no position to judge that. The only people who would know whether or not it's a waste are Blizzard - I figure that should be obvious.

Apparently not.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey NEWS BREAK: This isn't the damn Beta forums so whatever damn opinions we have here don't have any bearing on the "devs". We can talk, bitch and complain about anything we damn well please, that is the entire purpose of this forum.

Wombat02 on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The testers can feel it wastes there time. But that just leads them to not testing titan's grip any longer and playing with other warrior specs, or dropping their warriors in beta entirely. Could be that accuracy decrease was added because there aren't enough warriors testing the arms tree or the protection tree.

Seg on
    edited September 2008
    Wombat02 wrote: »
    Hey NEWS BREAK: This isn't the damn Beta forums so whatever damn opinions we have here don't have any bearing on the "devs". We can talk, bitch and complain about anything we damn well please, that is the entire purpose of this forum.

And that's just what I'm doing. ;D

EDIT: I'm also spamming my totally awesome sig. :winky:

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
    edited September 2008

But we don't have the right to do it? Freedom of speech etc?

Septus on
    edited September 2008

Freedom of speech only applies to the government, by the way, but I'm sure you knew that. ;)

Freaking patch won't patch for me. D: It keeps getting stuck - apparently I'm not the only one this is happening to. :x

EDIT: And the WAR beta servers are down, too. Why do you hate me, universe?

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
    edited September 2008

Addblocked. :x

Wombat02 on
    edited September 2008

Right-clicked Save As. :x

Fixed. :winky:

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
    edited September 2008

Freedom of speech only applies to the government, by the way, but I'm sure you knew that. ;)

Yes, I was more invoking the principle of the thing. But like others pointed out, that's what this forum is for, so it is entirely appropriate to discuss what we think Blizzard's intentions are. God knows they fail to tell us often enough.

Septus on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Personally, I think this last patch was just a lot of flying dicks thrown at a dickboard. :P

We'll see how many changes actually stay that way. :P We might see another push this friday.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's not what I'm saying.

Septus stated that the damage changes in this latest patch are a waste of a beta push and a waste of time for beta testers, and I'm saying that he's in no position to judge that. The only people who would know whether or not it's a waste are Blizzard - I figure that should be obvious.

Apparently not.

Ok, I'm not gonna harp on this anymore, but... you just said that it wasn't what you were saying, but then went on to say exactly the same thing I said again.

All sorts of people are capable of making judgments on things without full knowledge, etc. Sometimes they're wrong, sometimes they're not. There are situations we can imagine where Blizzard may implement something in a patch that would be an obvious waste of time to everyone (5 pt. talent - "This does nothing"), and in a case like this it would be clear that Blizzard made a mistake. So, a line must exist somewhere. Apparently the line is somewhere around Titan's Grip, because you have a difference of opinion. That's ok. Just quit with the "you have no right to say that" bullshit.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
    edited September 2008
    Noooo!!(Vader shot here). Blizzard did some mystifying, and sent me a beta invite(I guess because just yesterday, I reactivated my alt account? That's damn fast), but when they sent it, they knew I was ineligible, because one account was unsubscribed on August 25th, and the other was only reactivated yesterday.

Septus on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Noooo!!(Vader shot here). Blizzard did some mystifying, and sent me a beta invite(I guess because just yesterday, I reactivated my alt account? That's damn fast), but when they sent it, they knew I was ineligible, because one account was unsubscribed on August 25th, and the other was only reactivated yesterday.

Wait, what? Did they send you an email just to tell you that you got picked but it won't do you any good or something?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Yes!

I may be able to give it to one of my brothers and then mooch of their account, but that is far from an ideal situation. Curse your Blizzard.

Septus on
  • MirnMirn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    weee pvpe to pvp transffers are go...

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml

I am so shopping for a new home
    PvE-to-PvP Paid Character Transfers Now Open

Providing a smooth and enjoyable experience for all players is always a priority for us, and we are continually re-evaluating our policies and programs to do so. As the state of the game has matured substantially since the inception of Paid Character Transfers, we will now be allowing PvE-to-PvP transfers on a full-time basis to provide players with more mobility and freedom to easily play with their friends.

Keep in mind that all of the other standard cooldowns and restrictions will continue to apply; we're just opening the option to transfer characters on Normal realms to Player-vs.-Player realms. Please review the Paid Character Transfer FAQ if you have any questions on how this service works.

You can use this service at any time by visiting your Account Management page and selecting the "Paid Character Transfer" button.

Mirn on
    edited September 2008
    ^

:shock:

My hands are going to be stuck in the air in triumph for several minutes.

This also means I will very shortly(like, today) be reactivating my main account and transferring over either my warlock or my shaman for some Beasts action.

I'm going to be disappointed if the Beasts action is not high.

Edit: I'm also laughing at myself at Blizzard's unending ability to make money, hand over fist.

Septus on
  • willmannyeatthatwillmannyeatthat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mirn wrote: »
    weee pvpe to pvp transffers are go...

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml

I am so shopping for a new home
    PvE-to-PvP Paid Character Transfers Now Open

Providing a smooth and enjoyable experience for all players is always a priority for us, and we are continually re-evaluating our policies and programs to do so. As the state of the game has matured substantially since the inception of Paid Character Transfers, we will now be allowing PvE-to-PvP transfers on a full-time basis to provide players with more mobility and freedom to easily play with their friends.

Keep in mind that all of the other standard cooldowns and restrictions will continue to apply; we're just opening the option to transfer characters on Normal realms to Player-vs.-Player realms. Please review the Paid Character Transfer FAQ if you have any questions on how this service works.

You can use this service at any time by visiting your Account Management page and selecting the "Paid Character Transfer" button.

Makes sense now that the game is well established.

willmannyeatthat on
    Pokemon Pearl: 4640 3998 1657
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's great news. I've got a human Paladin stuck on a PvE realm. It'd be nice to get her to the same realm as the rest of my characters.

reVerse on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    *insert Colbert style "I called it" pic here*

And I don't even care. No really, I have no intention of transferring, and I've had no intention of playing regularly on a PVP server (aside from one wee 20 tauren druid), but I've figured this was coming for years now.

IN YOUR FACE, DOUBTERS!

*cue fanfare*

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And it'll be an even more profitable move for Blizzard than at first thought, because so many PvE players will pay twice.

Once to switch to PvP, and once to switch back after they've dealt with being ganked and camped while leveling 70-80.

Halfmex on
    edited September 2008
    Halfmex wrote: »
    And it'll be an even more profitable move for Blizzard than at first thought, because so many PvE players will pay twice.

Once to switch to PvP, and once to switch back after they've dealt with being ganked and camped while leveling 70-80.

Except, ganking was not really a problem when levelling 60-70, nowhere near the problem it was in Vanilla WoW, or the problem it still is in Azeroth.

Septus on
    edited September 2008
    I have already paid blizzard far too much money transferring characters back and forth.

Wombat02 on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I personally see the next step being some kind of 'package deal' for transferring an entire account of characters from one realm to the other. The kind of situation where someone might want to transfer, but balks and the idea of spending $200+ to move 8+ characters.

Maybe some kind of package/bulk rate where you can move 5+ characters for $100. Enough to make it worthwhile, not something easily abused, but low enough that people who might've refused before would ponder the idea more closely.

Not nearly as easy a guess as PVE to PVP, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Also, I wonder if this will decimate some PVE servers, as this utterly removes the reason that some people stay on some servers. I know plenty of people who I could see utterly abandoning their realm and dragging all their 70's off to their new pvp home.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    I personally see the next step being some kind of 'package deal' for transferring an entire account of characters from one realm to the other. The kind of situation where someone might want to transfer, but balks and the idea of spending $200+ to move 8+ characters.

Maybe some kind of package/bulk rate where you can move 5+ characters for $100. Enough to make it worthwhile, not something easily abused, but low enough that people who might've refused before would ponder the idea more closely.

Not nearly as easy a guess as PVE to PVP, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Also, I wonder if this will decimate some PVE servers, as this utterly removes the reason that some people stay on some servers. I know plenty of people who I could see utterly abandoning their realm and dragging all their 70's off to their new pvp home.

Might not be so bad. We had a lot of PvP-> PvE transfers back out at the last moment due to worries about not being able to get back.

Thomamelas on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hope to god all the fucking BG monkeys get off my PVE servers now.

815165 on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Halfmex wrote: »

Except, ganking was not really a problem when levelling 60-70, nowhere near the problem it was in Vanilla WoW, or the problem it still is in Azeroth.
    I've read enough stories of it happening that I don't think it'll be a few isolated occurences. Remember, when most people leveled 60-70, there was little reason for higher leveled players to be in those zones. Since dailies were introduced, that's no longer the case. Plus, if what I've heard is true, Northrend leveling is quite a bit more 'scattered' than that of Outlands, so you'll probably get high levels running across lower levels quite a bit. I'm not saying it'll be anything to the degree of what it was in vanilla WoW, but it won't be an anomaly either.

Halfmex on
    edited September 2008
    Well I would never dream of transferring to pvp in most situations, and I would think many people would get enough pvp satisfaction from arenas/BGs/Wintergrasp. I expect that there's a small enough contingent of people like me without any guilds or friends on one server they're on, and want to join one of their other servers that they have a character with a nice guild.

Oh, and I can't find it now, but someone here posted a link on some fake beta emails being sent out, anyone remember where that is?

Septus on
    edited September 2008
    I wonder if they'd consider removing the option of PvP flagging on PvE servers now? Just take the ability to flag (and by extension do 'town raids' and kill quest npcs and shit) out entirely on those servers. People that want to engage in world PvP can now just transfer over to a PvP server.

Eh I'm sure it'll never happen but it's interesting to think about, anyway.

Halfmex on
    edited September 2008
    Well I would never dream of transferring to pvp in most situations, and I would think many people would get enough pvp satisfaction from arenas/BGs/Wintergrasp. I expect that there's a small enough contingent of people like me without any guilds or friends on one server they're on, and want to join one of their other servers that they have a character with a nice guild.

Oh, and I can't find it now, but someone here posted a link on some fake beta emails being sent out, anyone remember where that is?

I linked this article about fake beta key emails. Not sure if that was what you were looking for.

Wombat02 on
    edited September 2008

I linked this article about fake beta key emails. Not sure if that was what you were looking for.

That's the one, and it is as I hoped, a notably fake email because it has a link, whereas mine doesn't.

Septus on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ah character transfer lag, my old nemesis, we meet again.

Thomamelas on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Tigole wrote:
    Q u o t e:
    WOTLK Balance - Is a Colossal Failure

I log on today for the patch and what do I see: Warrior, Shadowpriest and Shaman NERFS.

Meanwhile Rogues, DeathKnights and Mages are completely broken. (I play Rouge and Mage so no I'm not personally upset, but this is just dumb).

Even without poisons, on my Rogue I can kill a Shadowpriest within ONE cloak and stunlock. Meanwhile Blizzard is nerfing the mitigation on the Shadowpriest Dispersion. What a good way to balance the game - trying to re-tool the classes that aren't broken, without touching the ones that obviously are.

Since the community has been so gracious in providing it's feedback. I would really love to hear some feedback from the Blizzard Developers making decisions.

Have you ever leveled a character to 70 in World of Warcraft?
    Have you ever logged on to the WOTLK BETA Test Realms?

Blizzard wanted player input for the development process? I would love to see the player input that advocated for Shadowpriest, Warrior and Shaman Nerfs. Because any player that logs on the Beta Realm for just about minutes, that is not completely blind, would have easily told you, that you're doing it wrong.

WOTLK Balance is a Colossal Failure. The beta has been plagued by moronic development decisions,
    that have completely unbalanced this game, over-complicated this game while reducing the skill level of this game.

I could write pages, about what is broken, what isn't, what is good and what needs to be fixed. But honestly I'm sick of this. What a waste of time, all the individual player input has been. And one knows it when they see patch notes like these.

Actually, comparing our accounts, I have multiple 70's more than you do. I also notice that all of my characters are higher level than yours in the Beta.

Thanks for helping us test out the Beta while you lasted. Beta testing isn't cut out for everyone. It was nice having you.

This is what I would be doing every day if I was a blizz mod.

Yes blizz mods.

Look into your pants.

Be amazed by what you find there.

It's your testicles.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
    edited September 2008
    Tigole wrote:
    Q u o t e:
    WOTLK Balance - Is a Colossal Failure

I log on today for the patch and what do I see: Warrior, Shadowpriest and Shaman NERFS.

Meanwhile Rogues, DeathKnights and Mages are completely broken. (I play Rouge and Mage so no I'm not personally upset, but this is just dumb).

Even without poisons, on my Rogue I can kill a Shadowpriest within ONE cloak and stunlock. Meanwhile Blizzard is nerfing the mitigation on the Shadowpriest Dispersion. What a good way to balance the game - trying to re-tool the classes that aren't broken, without touching the ones that obviously are.

Since the community has been so gracious in providing it's feedback. I would really love to hear some feedback from the Blizzard Developers making decisions.

Have you ever leveled a character to 70 in World of Warcraft?
    Have you ever logged on to the WOTLK BETA Test Realms?

Blizzard wanted player input for the development process? I would love to see the player input that advocated for Shadowpriest, Warrior and Shaman Nerfs. Because any player that logs on the Beta Realm for just about minutes, that is not completely blind, would have easily told you, that you're doing it wrong.

WOTLK Balance is a Colossal Failure. The beta has been plagued by moronic development decisions,
    that have completely unbalanced this game, over-complicated this game while reducing the skill level of this game.

I could write pages, about what is broken, what isn't, what is good and what needs to be fixed. But honestly I'm sick of this. What a waste of time, all the individual player input has been. And one knows it when they see patch notes like these.

Actually, comparing our accounts, I have multiple 70's more than you do. I also notice that all of my characters are higher level than yours in the Beta.

Thanks for helping us test out the Beta while you lasted. Beta testing isn't cut out for everyone. It was nice having you.

This is what I would be doing every day if I was a blizz mod.

Yes blizz mods.

Look into your pants.

Be amazed by what you find there.

It's your testicles.

I thought you were referring to how you are a dick.

Wombat02 on
This discussion has been closed.