As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WoW: WotLK Release Date Set at 11/13/08 [Chat and General Discussion]

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    To be fair, Tigole isn't exactly a "mod" per se. I imagine the mods/CM's are probably cheering in the background, as one might do while your boss does something badass that could possibly get you, the lowly grunt, fired if you were to try it.

I'd be totally down with them letting the CM's do it too. It could be ripe for abuse, but the WoW forums have been a cesspool of shit and filth for years. It's time for some quick drawing hardasses to clean up the streets.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When I received my TBC open beta invite, you'd better believe that I verified that thing about 5 times with Blizzard before I used it.

Fairchild on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    To be fair, Tigole isn't exactly a "mod" per se. I imagine the mods/CM's are probably cheering in the background, as one might do while your boss does something badass that could possibly get you, the lowly grunt, fired if you were to try it.

I'd be totally down with them letting the CM's do it too. It could be ripe for abuse, but the WoW forums have been a cesspool of shit and filth for years. It's time for some quick drawing hardasses to clean up the streets.
    CM's have done stuff like that in the past, though,

815165 on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is all pretty crazy stuff. The combination of PvE -> PvP transfers, triple xp characters, and what seems to me like excitement from the devs almost makes me want to start playing again. Almost.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, it appears that it didn't matter that my account wasn't in good standing on August 25th, one person even said they were banned from Alpha in BC, and received and activated the new beta. Also, waves and waves of invite emails have been and are being sent, so everyone should be checking their inboxes.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Hmm, it appears that it didn't matter that my account wasn't in good standing on August 25th, one person even said they were banned from Alpha in BC, and received and activated the new beta. Also, waves and waves of invite emails have been and are being sent, so everyone should be checking their inboxes.

You made me check, and then I was sad.

Wombat02 on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    CM's have done stuff like that in the past, though,

Work has the wow forums... not quite blocked, but not viewable.

Who was it that posted that (the OP)?

Edit; never mind, it's an old one.

A guild member of mine had his epic flying skill just disappear a few weeks ago. Turns out Blizzard thought he bought the gold. He ran them through the ringer for a while, and eventually they gave it back to him, with the GM equivelent of "Ooops, our bad." Just thought it'd be funny if it were the same thread.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • AAAAAARGGGHHHHAAAAAARGGGHHHH Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I just recently renewed my account for the first time in 3 months and promptly received a beta invite the next day. I was initially confused since Blizzard had stated to get into the beta required an account active when the beta servers first went live sometime in August(?), but I've been in the beta for over a week now with no problems. So, at the very least it seems like they're standards for selection are relaxing.

AAAAAARGGGHHHH on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ok, I'm about to say forget it to this whole beta thing. 500mb downloaded over the course of.... 14 hours.

Is this something someone is able to just transfer to me? Or do I have to download it from Blizzard?

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • AAAAAARGGGHHHHAAAAAARGGGHHHH Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Ok, I'm about to say forget it to this whole beta thing. 500mb downloaded over the course of.... 14 hours.

Is this something someone is able to just transfer to me? Or do I have to download it from Blizzard?

There was a post on the beta forums with rapid-share links for all the patches, lemme see if I can find it.

Edit.

Found it: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=9023602703

It has links for the beta client too.

AAAAAARGGGHHHH on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanks, I'll check that when I get home.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That GM ownage just felt to RIGHT! Have any more of that?

X3x3non on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wombat02 wrote: »
    You made me check, and then I was sad.
    Feel bad, Septus.

Feel very bad.

Halfmex on
    edited September 2008
    I'll try, but no promises.

Septus on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    The testers can feel it wastes there time. But that just leads them to not testing titan's grip any longer and playing with other warrior specs, or dropping their warriors in beta entirely. Could be that accuracy decrease was added because there aren't enough warriors testing the arms tree or the protection tree.
    The discussion sort of went away from this topic, but Seg makes a great point here. Maybe Blizz is seeing most people mess around with the same "exciting new spec", or whatever, so they purposely fuck it up so people will try other things. Makes sense to me. Steer the masses!

Now to trick my friend into making a new account so I can RaF it up.

Monsty on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Goddammit; I just finished downloading the client (1.8gigz...:() and now I've got to download 1.1gigz of patches??? NOOOOOOO!

So damn close.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Goddammit; I just finished downloading the client (1.8gigz...:() and now I've got to download 1.1gigz of patches??? NOOOOOOO!

So damn close.

Actually it's more like 3 gigs...there will be more patches after that one.

Thomamelas on
  • grumthorngrumthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anoyone playing on the EU beta server (Coldarra) I'm getting quite bored running around on my own. Mostly I'm horde side, playing my death knight, Untoward.

Also for the miners out there, icecrown glacier is open but appears to only be half populated by mobs. All the mining nodes however are in place. I just made 300 saronite in 20 minutes.

grumthorn on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I just recently renewed my account for the first time in 3 months and promptly received a beta invite the next day. I was initially confused since Blizzard had stated to get into the beta required an account active when the beta servers first went live sometime in August(?), but I've been in the beta for over a week now with no problems. So, at the very least it seems like they're standards for selection are relaxing.

Of course, then you have the other extreme. My account has probably been inactive for...maybe 2-3 months total since the game released? And has been active currently since about November. I opted in for the beta the day they provided the option, and still have not received a beta invite. Given that I was sent several beta invites for BC, this is more than a little frustrating.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited September 2008
    Meh, I bought the game on day one, and didn't unsubscribe other than about 2 or 3 months one time, before TBC was released, and didn't receive jack squat. Hell, I had a second account going for about a year, before TBC.

Septus on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Of course, then you have the other extreme. My account has probably been inactive for...maybe 2-3 months total since the game released? And has been active currently since about November. I opted in for the beta an hour after they provided the option, and still have not received a beta invite. Given that I was also not sent any beta invites for BC, this is more than a little frustrating.
    Fixed for my situation.

Halfmex on
  • -Bramble-Bramble Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fuck yeah!

My warrior is off that shitty, diaper-bag insfested pve whine-fest and back onto good ol' Ravenholdt.

-Bramble on
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, I need to get a roll call of who still actively played in the Beasts. That will have a factor on which character I transfer.

Septus on
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Finally, I managed to log on to the beta servers.

First thoughts: Warsong Hold and the Tundra are confusing. Not that I've gone exploring.

Toldo on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Toldo wrote: »

First thoughts: Warsong Hold and the Tundra are confusing. Not that I've gone exploring.

Go to Howling Fjord and flip Borean Tundra the bird. Trust me.

Mgcw on
  • -Bramble-Bramble Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, I need to get a roll call of who still actively played in the Beasts. That will have a factor on which character I transfer.

It's kind of barren right now, to be honest. I logged in yesterday and today and was the only person online. And in the last few weeks there have been four or so online at most. I haven't been playing much myself either. Things are likely to pick up again come the 3.0 patch and of course when wrath hits.

-Bramble on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »

What's wrong with the Tundra that the Fjord does better?

Slightly unrelated:
    sllx3.jpg

SabreMau on
    edited September 2008
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Mgcw wrote: »

What's wrong with the Tundra that the Fjord does better?

Don't know, just felt the zone was way nicer looking and had better quests, that's all. Also, Vrykul are fuckin cool.

Mgcw on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The fjord is pretty. And cool.

The tundra is hellfire part 2.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I went to the Fjord once to try it out, but I preferred the Orcish base of Borean to the Forsaken one of Howling. And then I tried to explore Utgarde Keep, fell down into the water, and found that the way out apparently goes right through the Alliance town. Did the rest of my 70-72 leveling on the other side of the continent.

SabreMau on
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So honestly fuck the starting areas. I just started an alt and I forgot how absolutely tedious they are.

DharmaBum on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    So honestly fuck the starting areas. I just started an alt and I forgot how absolutely tedious they are.

The Undead zone isn't bad. Tauren is fuckawful though.

TL DR on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »

So damn close.

Actually it's more like 3 gigs...there will be more patches after that one.

do the patches download one after another with no human input or do I have to fiddle with the PC between patches?

I set it all to download last night, and I want to do the patching today, but if its just going to do one patch then sit there with a "Download next patch yes/no" dialog i might not even bother

Dhalphir on
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It doesn't download all patches at once nor does it download in the background, for me atleast. Had to install, download, patch, download, ... just like live. You're better off finding torrents or a mirror and queuing them over night or something.

edit: How big are the files you downloaded? I think there are 3g for the base installer plus around 2-2.5g in patches so far.

danx on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And if that's not enough... well, I've been saving this one for a time when everyone seems kind of down, so maybe now is appropriate to mention it. Clams now stack. It's true.

YES. YES!

4rch3nemy on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Best news yet!

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited September 2008
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    And if that's not enough... well, I've been saving this one for a time when everyone seems kind of down, so maybe now is appropriate to mention it. Clams now stack. It's true.

YES. YES!

Best change ever.

Mgcw on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Forar wrote: »

I think a lot of the problems wouldn't exist if Blues weren't such condescending pricks, and maybe did their job better.

This is kind of not directed at you at all, but I really think they need to change how Blues do their job, and actually tell the community what's going on inside Blizzard regarding their class. Shadow Priests have had massive issues all through BC, and none have been addressed until WotLK. Now they're being totally reworked, but instead of Blues coming in and saying "Here's our goals for shadow priest, the direction they'll be taking, why dispersion needs to be changed, etc." all we get are these cryptic answers while we're spoon-fed information we would have gotten maybe one week later from patch notes. It's ridiculous. And I can see why they might not want to divulge too much, they don't want to get people's hopes up, but I think the community they've accrued is largely due to how they speak to their community.

/bluehate
    ( Then again, Maybe my bluehate is partly to due to playing a Shaman through Vanilla and half-way through Season 2)

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
    edited September 2008
    4rch3nemy wrote: »

YES. YES!
    and the warlock community seethes juuuust a little bit more...

Halfmex on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wonder what good standing is for a beta invite
    Never got a warning from a gm other than a name change on a roll playing realm I had the Ae as one letter

Brainleech on
This discussion has been closed.