As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WoW: WotLK Release Date Set at 11/13/08 [Chat and General Discussion]

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hell, you could dualbox it on that sandwhich and get no performance hit whatsoever.

reVerse on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nobody wrote: »
    man... I must be doing something wrong. I am level 30 and I checked my playtime on my character and it is about 115 hours. Leveling seems so slow, and I hear about how easy the leveling is and people getting from 1-70 in 5 days. I am an Undead Mage, frost spec. What should I be doing to level fastest, because I know I have to be doing something wrong. Right now I am doing some quests in Thousand Needles that are right at my level, but I still feel like it should be going faster.

Do you have an armory link?

also, are you spending time pvping/exploring/crafting?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blood+Furnace&n=Darkenedwing

I spent maybe 2 or 3 hours doing Warsong Gulch and Athari Basin at level 29, but thats it. and nope, just leveling at places like Desolace and Thousand Needles.

Are you grinding or questing to level? I'm not seeing any real red flags on your gear (alot of +spi stuff but I guess that can help with your downtime). Your spec looks like it's designed for AOE grinding though. Right now questing usually beats out aoe grinding unless you have a really good spot for it.

Nobody on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    Hell, you could dualbox it on that sandwhich and get no performance hit whatsoever.

idunno I really can't dual box on my current computer (1st Gen Black MacBook). Not to mention when I'm raiding I'm lucky if I crack 10fps with it. Granted it has an Integrated Graphics card and a Processor that's at least 2 revisions behind. So...

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The easiest way for me to level is to round up all the quests I can in the zone, and just make full circuits of the area until they're all done. Then turn them in and grab the next round of quests.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    This just in: toasted ham sandwhich is better for gaming than a Mac. News at eleven.

reVerse on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    For the first time, I have a character close to 60. He's 59, whoop, whoop! Only took me about four years...

And I just made it to Outland on my own for the first time (despite me buying the expansion on the day of release).

I wonder how long it will take me to see the Lich King expansion content...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I did MC for the first time today, a group with another guild and a bunch of pug people (including myself) just 3 bosses in there after BWL bugged out on us.

I can see what people mean about the trash in there. Holy crap so. much. trash. It must have been a fucking nightmare at 60 though, so long, so much trash and the whole place uses what? 5 models total?Although it's pretty fun with 30+ lvl 70s so everything dies nice and fast, I'd like to try a 5-10 man sightseeing run at 80 just to do it and see rags. Also putting the lava music from DKC2 on repeat in the background makes the place a lot more awesome.

Coordinating 40 people was not awesome, even if the music was. When guilds today complain about fielding 25 (competent) raiders I just giggle.

Speaking of MC and BWL, anyone know what the "minimum" number of people you need to clear these out with level 70's?

I did it in the MC days, and I've done it in the modern days. While there were some fights in Naxx that really made the idiots shine, for the most part it was a matter of getting 40 people together. In the modern era, the raid stacking requirements make this a bloody nightmare. Sure you need 15 less people but those 25 left not only have to have the perfect make up, but you need enough spares for fights that require radically different compositions.

And you had a lot less guilds competing for roughly the same number of candidates and those candiates in low population classes didn't have a choice in how to spec. If you were a druid, you were resto. Same for Paladins and Shamans. Right now the only test for a resto druid is "Is your lap covered in drool?". If they pass that, you take them.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    eobet wrote: »
    For the first time, I have a character close to 60. He's 59, whoop, whoop! Only took me about four years...

And I just made it to Outland on my own for the first time (despite me buying the expansion on the day of release).

Just do every quest in HFP, Zangar, Terrokar, and Nagrand with a couple dungeons thrown in. You'll be 70 in just those 4 zones.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    man... I must be doing something wrong. I am level 30 and I checked my playtime on my character and it is about 115 hours. Leveling seems so slow, and I hear about how easy the leveling is and people getting from 1-70 in 5 days. I am an Undead Mage, frost spec. What should I be doing to level fastest, because I know I have to be doing something wrong. Right now I am doing some quests in Thousand Needles that are right at my level, but I still feel like it should be going faster.

Is this you first char? I don't know, I got in 8 days before the xp buff, but I was a hunter too. :P Soloing some group quests is awesome.

Fuga on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PierceNeck wrote: »

Just do every quest in HFP, Zangar, Terrokar, and Nagrand with a couple dungeons thrown in. You'll be 70 in just those 4 zones.

I did nothing but instances with my Shaman, I barely finished Zangarmarsh. The instances in BC are hella fun, but hella depressing at the same time. Like... Auchenai Crypts (MC the main tank = fun!), or the final boss in Sethekk Halls.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm at 65 and on the second round of quests in Terokkar. I did a few BF and Ramps instances, and half of UB and MT. I've gone from 62 to 65 in 2 weeks, playing about 1-3 hours during the week since the release date for the expansion was announced. The plan is to hit 70 in another 2-3 weeks, and then level engineering for the flying mounts- and maybe gear up in some higher level instances.

Probably doable.

Tach on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Speaking of MC and BWL, anyone know what the "minimum" number of people you need to clear these out with level 70's?

With 3.0 talents I would say 5 in decent PvE gear for MC, 10 for BWL, maybe less depending on how Vael decides to blow you up with a low amount of people (eg: your only healer gets gibbed).

I'm going to guess AQ40 will still be a huge pain(mostly because of Huhuran?) at 70, but I wonder how quickly into the 70s, it might be doable.

But AQ40 shouldn't need any other preparation, quest-wise right? Just the ability to actually beat all the bosses?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    bowen wrote: »

I did nothing but instances with my Shaman, I barely finished Zangarmarsh. The instances in BC are hella fun, but hella depressing at the same time. Like... Auchenai Crypts (MC the main tank = fun!), or the final boss in Sethekk Halls.

The last boss in Sethekk can be annoying at times. Too many times all the dps have died and its just me tanking and the healer. I'm too stubborn to just die at times like this and I'll just slowly whittle down the mobs health.

The same can be said with melee in Shadow Labs and on prince in pug Kara. If they survive 1-2 blasts I'm happy and anything past that is a happy bonus.

Scroffus on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    At least the guy in Sethekk Halls has an awesome voice, almost makes dragging yourself through the fears in every pull on the top floor worthwile.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Fuga wrote: »

Is this you first char? I don't know, I got in 8 days before the xp buff, but I was a hunter too. :P Soloing some group quests is awesome.

Once you get the quests down you'll fly through leveling. I've basically memorized each and every quest from 1-60 and the fastest way to attack them per zone. I can reach 60 in about 5 days of /played time, if not less.

Unfortunately that means also cutting out PvP and everything else and do nothing but quests. Quest one zone until you can't do the quests or you run out, move to another zone for your similar level. Repeat. For instance on Alliance I do:

Elwyn Forest->Westfall->Loch Modan->(Finish the rest of westfall usually with the Deadmines quest)->Redridge->Wetlands->Finish redridge group quests if not done->Duskwood (usually throws you to about level 30-32)->[Do some gnomer/rfk if I can find a group]->Stranglethorn/Dustwallow Marsh->[Do some Uldaman if if I can find a group also some RFD]->tanaris->[Do some ZF]->[Do some Sunken temple]->Un'Goro->WPL->EPL->Silithus->DARK PORTAL(you should be 58 by this time)

That's roughly the path I follow. Horde is still a little tricky for me, the quests usually involve a lot more running around so it's harder for me to plot it out, but I'm sure someone here knows it better than I do.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Scroffus wrote: »

The last boss in Sethekk can be annoying at times. Too many times all the dps have died and its just me tanking and the healer. I'm too stubborn to just die at times like this and I'll just slowly whittle down the mobs health.

The same can be said with melee in Shadow Labs and on prince in pug Kara. If they survive 1-2 blasts I'm happy and anything past that is a happy bonus.

Unfortunately it's really hard to heal without dots to pop on everyone. That said, I hate it when people don't listen when you tell them to move when the big fucking text pops up on the screen. Our backup healer kept getting killed because she'd just stand there.

"Okay he's going to do his blastwave everyone behind the column"
    "Priest?"
    "PRIEST?!"
    "FUCK"
    "... what happened I was healing?"

or, like I said before in this thread somewhere

"Sheep"
    "SHEEP"
    "GET THE SHEEP OFF"
    "FUCK HE'S DOING HIS BLAST"
    [Priest gets sheep off]
    [I die]
    "..."

bowen on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I guess the 200k gold stolen was fake.
    Aww.

Fuga on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It was? How'd you figure?

reVerse on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DharmaBum wrote: »

idunno I really can't dual box on my current computer (1st Gen Black MacBook). Not to mention when I'm raiding I'm lucky if I crack 10fps with it. Granted it has an Integrated Graphics card and a Processor that's at least 2 revisions behind. So...

My powerbook runs WoW, it's just awful at it and I don't really understand why. It gets like 2fps in anywhere populated at the lowest settings, it's like a slideshow. I think it has something like 500 megs of RAM and a separate video card.

This isn't dual boxing btw, this is running just one client. It's unbearable if I'm anywhere other people are.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Are there any lvl70 target dummies? I remember the ones in SW as having been raid bosses, so just 3 levels above whatever level I am. But when I went to go hit them last night, they were lvl80 instead. So I couldn't hit them very often.

EDIT:
    Also, this isn't really (meaning probably not at all) WoW related, but....
    Anyone know of any good guides to painting miniatures for things like Warhammer, etc? I don't want to play the games, but I'd like to paint the figures. And the Critical Failures subforum didn't have any threads like that that I could see. Nor a general chat thread to ask in. And I don't understand what they're talking about half the time. I found something for painting techniques/tips, but not so much in the way of what sort of brushes/tools/paints to use.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

My powerbook runs WoW, it's just awful at it and I don't really understand why. It gets like 2fps in anywhere populated at the lowest settings, it's like a slideshow. I think it has something like 500 megs of RAM and a separate video card.

This isn't dual boxing btw, this is running just one client. It's unbearable if I'm anywhere other people are.

The intergrated video is what kills it on the MacBook.

Is that a powerbook, or a macbook pro? If its a powerbook - thats your problem - PPC chips just can't run the game well.

fodderboy on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

/sigh you need to get some better melees... or at least luckier ones. Some of us tend to stay up whole or majority of fights. Im not gonna lie. there have been times where I'll get destroyed early on and get to enjoy the fight from the stands but really 2 prince blasts are ticklish at worst, mosquito like if your rogues are cloaking like they're supposed to

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Once you get the quests down you'll fly through leveling. I've basically memorized each and every quest from 1-60 and the fastest way to attack them per zone. I can reach 60 in about 5 days of /played time, if not less.

Unfortunately that means also cutting out PvP and everything else and do nothing but quests. Quest one zone until you can't do the quests or you run out, move to another zone for your similar level. Repeat. For instance on Alliance I do:

Elwyn Forest->Westfall->Loch Modan->(Finish the rest of westfall usually with the Deadmines quest)->Redridge->Wetlands->Finish redridge group quests if not done->Duskwood (usually throws you to about level 30-32)->[Do some gnomer/rfk if I can find a group]->Stranglethorn/Dustwallow Marsh->[Do some Uldaman if if I can find a group also some RFD]->tanaris->[Do some ZF]->[Do some Sunken temple]->Un'Goro->WPL->EPL->Silithus->DARK PORTAL(you should be 58 by this time)

That's roughly the path I follow. Horde is still a little tricky for me, the quests usually involve a lot more running around so it's harder for me to plot it out, but I'm sure someone here knows it better than I do.

For leveling i suggest using Jame's Leveling guide at wow-pro.com. Its free and you don't need to follow it to the letter to level quickly. Last time i leveled with it, i was able to skip Un'goro Crater (i hate that zone) entirely. If anything it can point out quests/chains you might normally miss.

fodderboy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    fodderboy wrote: »

Is that a powerbook, or a macbook pro? If its a powerbook - thats your problem - PPC chips just can't run the game well.

Pretty sure it's a a Powerbook. Runs like sh*t. Powerbook G4 I believe, I got it when my mother got a new desktop.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Starting area 1-10, Ghostlands 10-20ish, Hillsbrad 20-30s, Arathi 30s-35, Dustwallow 35-40-45 (if you're lucky), Feralas 40s -50, Blasted Lands (Fallen Hero quest woo), Un'goro, WPL, EPL until Dark Portal.

That's how I go with every character. Throw in some instances and you'll be fine.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Speakeasy wrote: »

Starting area 1-10, Ghostlands 10-20ish, Hillsbrad 20-30s, Arathi 30s-35, Dustwallow 35-40-45 (if you're lucky), Feralas 40s -50, Blasted Lands (Fallen Hero quest woo), Un'goro, WPL, EPL until Dark Portal.

That's how I go with every character. Throw in some instances and you'll be fine.

Arathis usually lasts me till i can get to the badlands and then swamp hinterlands and wpl/epl... but if you don't like the long ride from arathis to badlands dustwallow is alot earier to get to

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've never leveled in Badlands, and Dustwallow has so many quests that I opt for it. Most of them are close to each other anyway, so it makes for quick leveling.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

/sigh you need to get some better melees... or at least luckier ones. Some of us tend to stay up whole or majority of fights. Im not gonna lie. there have been times where I'll get destroyed early on and get to enjoy the fight from the stands but really 2 prince blasts are ticklish at worst, mosquito like if your rogues are cloaking like they're supposed to

In my experience, the REALLY bad rogues are just subtlety specced, so the problem solves itself.

If you want frustration, try pugging Solarian. You can turn it into a drinking game! Every time somebody blows up the raid, take a shot. Whenever they blame it on "lag" or "I couldn't move for some reason", shoot yourself.

Garthor on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    fodderboy wrote: »

Pretty sure it's a a Powerbook. Runs like sh*t. Powerbook G4 I believe, I got it when my mother got a new desktop.

I was on the same boat as you. My Powerbook can barely run the game as is. Got a desktop to play it on, and was a great investment (especially since I can play PC games now).

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Zython wrote: »

I was on the same boat as you. My Powerbook can barely run the game as is. Got a desktop to play it on, and was a great investment (especially since I can play PC games now).

Yeah my PC runs it fine (Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs ram etc etc), I just wish I could play while watching TV or traveling. Oh well.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are there any lvl70 target dummies? I remember the ones in SW as having been raid bosses, so just 3 levels above whatever level I am. But when I went to go hit them last night, they were lvl80 instead. So I couldn't hit them very often.

There are lv70, and lv60, training dummies inside the SI:7 area.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Garthor wrote: »

In my experience, the REALLY bad rogues are just subtlety specced, so the problem solves itself.

If you want frustration, try pugging Solarian. You can turn it into a drinking game! Every time somebody blows up the raid, take a shot. Whenever they blame it on "lag" or "I couldn't move for some reason", shoot yourself.

Yeah, I can see where people could get confused when everyone starts yelling "your da' bomb!" at them.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    wowscrnshot092708051430vu8.th.jpgthpix.gif

So it doesn't translate well to a screenshot, the sparklies are easier to make out in-game, but here are seven Coren Direbrew corpses, five of them with the healer trinket on them.

Not pictured: anything good.

edit: this should have gone in the screenshot thread I guess but it's not actually a cool or interesting shot. :P

W2 on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I expect all my healers to be better geared than this guy...

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dark+Iron&n=Peria

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, last night was "coin drop Thursday" apparently because 4/5 attempts were Lucky Coins.

Irony

Halfmex on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Yeah, last night was "coin drop Thursday" apparently because 4/5 attempts were Lucky Coins.

Irony

I swear that coin has the highest drop rate out of any of the trinkets.

In other news, I saw a ram drop and a remote drop last night. I passed on the ram since I had one from last year and didn't win the remote.

Only 2 coins out of 5 trinkets too!

Nobody on
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That is so weird.

the rogue in full healing gear, that is.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    ArvoArvo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've done it every day so far and have seen the ram drop 4 times. Never seen the Kodo.

Arvo on
    Vertro.png
    5090509oKRAv.png<<<Links to Armory
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've seen a number of kodos so far, a few rams, and LOTS and LOTS of the damned coins/caster/healer trinkets.

In my meager and annecdotal experience, the mounts have a horrendous droprate, as does the dagger, oh, and the remote. The physical dps trinket seems to drop far more rarely than the other 3, which I see all the damned time.

(by memory; 2 remotes, ~5 kodos, 3ish rams, 1 or 2 daggers, 3-5ish dps trinkets, more coins and caster trinkets than I care to count)

Not sure it's been mentioned, but something for the casters/healers to think about; far as I know, as of 3.0 both the 'caster' and the 'healer' trinkets will just become "spellpower", though I believe they'll share a cooldown, if you have a shittily geared caster alt, having both on hand might be nice.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    105 times so far. 5 daggers, 3 rams and 3 kodos.

And I have lost the roll on all of them.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.