As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WoW: WotLK Release Date Set at 11/13/08 [Chat and General Discussion]

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Fuga wrote: »
    I only missed by like 60.

You were very much half way there.

So, tonight I think I might try to sneak my fury warrior into Karazhan. Go on, armory her. This, ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when you essentially don't touch a character for nearly a year and a half.

So many greens.

D:

Your gear is all wrong for fury. It's TWO weapons.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

... she should have 2 weapons equipped; a rare axe and a rare mace.

Oh, unless it's the tanking set, which I might've thrown on for AV the last time I played her.

In which case you can ignore the armory for now, as it is full of lies.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

... she should have 2 weapons equipped; a rare axe and a rare mace.

Oh, unless it's the tanking set, which I might've thrown on for AV the last time I played her.

In which case you can ignore the armory for now, as it is full of lies.

It is the tank set.

Wombat02 on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, it was a joke. Sometimes people make jokes.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited September 2008
    There's no room for joking in WoW! It's serious business!

(or so the forums tell me)

Seriously; after AV'ing with 9 characters in one weekend (or hell, one day if it's slow and the daily) and sometimes things kind of blur together.

Mistakes were made.

Forar on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Decoy wrote: »
    PierceNeck wrote: »

Actually, comparing our accounts, I have multiple 70's more than you do. I also notice that all of my characters are higher level than yours in the Beta.

Thanks for helping us test out the Beta while you lasted. Beta testing isn't cut out for everyone. It was nice having you.

Am I the only one who sees this as shenanigans? I guess I find it a little convenient that a blue claims to have multiple 70s when they can, more than likely, be handed one with full gear sets. Was the guy who posted (not to mention 95% of all the people on the official forums) out of line? Yes. Still....

Considering it was Tigole, I have zero trouble believing that he has leveled many, many 70s.

The irony of Tigole's response to this guy is that Tigole is responsible for this gem.
    Tigole wrote:
    Fix your goddamn buggy bull##@% half-assed encounters. The amount of time we dedicated to get our keys to see this guy die and take a turn at the Emperor is just sick. To finally see Blood die only to have the ENTIRE raid DT'd from anywhere in the room was simply an insult. Blood dies, there are two earrings on the corpse, yet no matter where you are in the room, the Emperor DT's. So congrats rot on those. It's cheap enough to make a mob DT in the first place. But to have his agro radius extend to the entire room is ridiculous. So let me get this straight -- and this is how you guys envisioned this in San Diego: You spend months farming keys to get up to the room. Months farming Shissar Bane weapons (and the recipe is where?). You kill Blood while dealing with 8 other snakes in the room. And immediately after that fight you're supposed to engage the DEATHTOUCHING-FROM-ANYWHERE-IN-THE-ROOM Emperor along with the 8 snakes? Whoever came up with this sheer *fisting* of an encounter can go !**# themselves. Do me a favor so I don't waste my guild's time on this kind of jackass ##@%-fest again, send me an email at [email protected] when you decide to A) Implement an encounter that wasn't designed by a retarded chimp chained to a cubicle B) Get a Quality Assuarance Department C) Actually beta test the !**#ing thing and D) Patch it live. And please for god's sake -- do it in the order I laid out for you. Don't worry, I won't charge you a consulting fee on that one. And for good luck you might as well E) Pull your heads out of your asses. While you're at it rename the game to BetaQuest since you've used up you're alotted false advertising karma on the Bazaar and user interface scam of '01.

Fix the Emperor encounter. Fix Seru. Rethink your time-sink bull##@%. Fix all the buggy mother!**#ing ring encounters (I suggest you let whoever made the Burrower one do this since that dude apparently laid off the crack the rest of you were smoking). Fix the VT key quest. Fix VT (just guessing it's !**#ed up considering your track record). Don't have the resources to fix this stuff? Move the ENTIRE Planes of Power team over to fixing Shadows of Luclin AND DO IT NOW. If you don't fix Luclin, you jackassess will be the only ones playing the Planes of Power.

Oh, and here's another gem from a current Blizzard employee, Alex Afrasiabi aka Furor, quest designer.
    Furor wrote:
    You have 14 Days. If after that time the Plane is not properly tuned, I am deleting my characters, and cancelling all of my accounts. The rest of my guild will follow suit, as will several other guilds and people that play Everquest.

To be brief, I did not work my ass off, jumping through your idiotic hoops with my friends and guildmates, so I could go to a zone where only groups of 18 could enjoy the content. EVEN if past these initial moronic events I can finally get my entire guild in to raid with me, F*CK YOU GUYS. Seriously, F*CK YOU.

I cannot believe this... right now I'm just so pissed off. I am sitting here in the Plane of Time, and 3/4 of my guild is just sitting around while a group of 18 is repeatedly trying to beat one of the mini ring encounters. Don't you people have ANY FUCKING DECENCY? SMEDLEY WHY DON'T YOU STOP COUNTING YOUR MONEY AND START ISSUING ORDERS?

The tragic irony of creating the ultimate c*ckblock encounter in the form of the Rathe which requires 80 people to defeat and then to limit encounters in the Plane of Time to 18.

14 Days.... after that this site will change from the most popular EQ fan site on the internet to the most popular World of Warcraft fan site on the internet. I'm done playing ball with you useless f*ckers... it's my turn.

It just goes to show you that being a winner or a loser in life is all measured on a big circle. If you're a big enough loser, eventually you'll push yourself back onto the very top end of being a winner and making a lot of money for it.

Dissociater on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    So I went to Dire Maul East today on my level 55 hunter.

epicfail.jpg

The paladin tank was... not good.

he may well have been making a tongue in cheek reference to not needing it

Oh no, while I concede that that may have well been possible, had you seen the preceeding and following chat log you would have understood he actually didn't realize a hunter could trap.

He also had a Rogue assigned to sapping Elementals.

So. It was fun.

Jasconius on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Entriech wrote: »
    I will put you at the top of my list, Halfmex. I did opt in for the beta, but on further thought, I don't want to ruin the content for myself. So if Blizzard sends me one, you're up.
    Much appreciate it, good sir.

I mean the content is a nice bonus, but I really want to be able to test the talents on my characters and give specific feedback on the forums, because the devs are really taking it to heart there (and only there, it seems).

Halfmex on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wombat02 wrote: »
    And by "put it to good use" he means sell it on eBay.
    There is a special hell reserved for people who sell those keys on ebay. As much as I love money, I wouldn't ever do that. That's an opportunity for someone who actually wants to test the content (not these whiny douches on the beta forums, I mean people who genuinely want to test it) that goes to waste.

Halfmex on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Guys, I already posted this. I received a beta invite on an account that certainly was not paid for or active on August 25th, and I got my beta account activated just fine.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited September 2008
    For Beta People: In the first zone(s) of WotLK, do the quests basically allow you to replace any non teir 5/6 gear pieces with better blues in the same way hellfire pennisula did. Just thinking if I need to get some shadow gear on my holy priest to be ready to level.

Wombat02 on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I was like "I'm going to try it and if it fails, I'll sell it", and it worked. Although I guess EU still can't make premade lv 80 characters cause it says 0 left for me. :(

Fuga on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    For Beta People: In the first zone(s) of WotLK, do the quests basically allow you to replace any non teir 5/6 gear pieces with better blues in the same way hellfire pennisula did. Just thinking if I need to get some shadow gear on my holy priest to be ready to level.

Well, not really. I have some T4/Kara gear that's lasting me until 72/73.

However, because of the changes with how spellpower works, I think you'll be fine. :) You can level with 68 greens and be fine - that's what it's tuned to.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
    edited September 2008
    From what I've been reading, the initial areas' quest rewards are actually a little worse than Karazhan gear, so unless you're wearing level 70 blues or maybe some heroic gear, you won't be replacing much right off the bat.

That kind of irks me, frankly, because I enjoy getting new gear and now I'll still be staring at the same shit I've been wearing for months. But because too many raiders bitched about their "hard work going down the drain", this is what we're left with.

Halfmex on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Halfmex wrote: »
    From what I've been reading, the initial areas' quest rewards are actually a little worse than Karazhan gear, so unless you're wearing level 70 blues or maybe some heroic gear, you won't be replacing much right off the bat.

That kind of irks me, frankly, because I enjoy getting new gear and now I'll still be staring at the same shit I've been wearing for months. But because too many raiders bitched about their "hard work going down the drain", this is what we're left with.

No, it's actually because, unlike BC, they're not completely rebudgeting stats like they had to do with the Stamina changes. :)

The "raiders' hard work going down the drain" will still happen, for the record, it'll just take a bit longer. Late 70s from what I understand.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Um...yeah. That had nothing to do with it. It was the combination of the value of stamina changing and item designers realizing that +damager, +ap, +healing are stats people wanted. In this expansion while there is changes to gear, it's not the radical change you saw with TBC.

Amazingly enough, raiders aren't the source of all of your problems.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2008
    Caedere wrote: »

Well, not really. I have some T4/Kara gear that's lasting me until 72/73.

However, because of the changes with how spellpower works, I think you'll be fine. :) You can level with 68 greens and be fine - that's what it's tuned to.

Ah yes, I forgot they will be retro changing all the +heal to +spellpower.

Wombat02 on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Your healing gear will actually be better DPS gear than your DPS stuff thanks to the spell power changes (hit aside).

T4 level gear gets replaced around level 72
    T5 level gear gets replaced around level 75
    T6 level gear gets replaced around level 78

e: maybe hitting refresh every now and again wouldn't be a bad thing

815165 on
  • TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, it appears that they're doing away with school-specific bonuses now (My Robe on beta right now). Losing 32 damage from the set? Boy, I hope I haven't passed on any robes/shoulders/boots that would have been a replacement lately...

EDIT: Did a little bit of research. Right now? I think I may be going back to Primal Mooncloth spec. I happen to have a workable replacement for the boots already banked (not fully enchanted though), the belt would be an upgrade, and I wouldn't be losing nearly as much +damage from the robe and shoulders.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    edited September 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Um...yeah. That had nothing to do with it. It was the combination of the value of stamina changing and item designers realizing that +damager, +ap, +healing are stats people wanted. In this expansion while there is changes to gear, it's not the radical change you saw with TBC.

That's true, the hardcore pvpers are pretty big contributers as well.

And I understand what you're saying, I read that as well, but I do think that the massive amount of complaints on the official forums did have something of an effect, because I recall reading a blue response a few months ago stating that they heard players frustrations with replacing gear too quickly in TBC and that while it was still going to happen, they would try to ensure that it wouldn't be as pronounced as it was before. Maybe it was a Blizzcon response, I don't recall exactly, but I do remember reading it.

Halfmex on
    edited September 2008
    It also depends on the level of content we're talking about. T4 content, in since release and obtained by many raiders for over a year now has been put to good use. The dues have been paid, all that time and effort have led to a base level of gear that's served the characters well for 6-18 months now.

Sunwell level gear, however, has only been available for less than half a year or so. Even with a few months left until the expansion, people are still just barely scraping together things they've put hard hours (and hundreds or thousands of gold in repairs and consumables) into achieving. Having a little longevity on that kind of gear is a nice nod, even if I/we do end up replacing it while levelling. Even if I just hold onto it until the late 70's / early 80 content, possibly choosing to pass over a sidegrade or meager upgrade or two due to a desire to delude myself that those hundreds of hours of raiding were for anything but naught (and they were; good times with friends, overcoming challenges against npcs, game mechanics and personnel alike, etc), at least that's there.

But I don't know any raiders that are blind to the fact that eventually we'll be replacing our shit. That's just how it is. Epics will become Rares again, and sets will either be sharded, vendored or tucked away in the bank like some prized but outdated posession. We'll have an edge in levelling due to having higher level/quality gear, and eventually we'll all normalize out around 80 again, at which point we'll start running 5, 10 and 25 mans (if so inclined) to catch up to the baseline and exceed it again.

To quote Armageddon; it's happened before, it will happen again.

Forar on
    edited September 2008
    Aye, that's what I mean more or less. The T6/T6.5 content, like the Naxx content, makes sense to have such longevity throughout the expansion (or most of it, anyway). But T4 gear should, in my opinion, be replaced pretty much right out of the gate in Northrend (as T1 was in Hellfire, though, yes, it was largely due to the item stat budgeting change). It's served its purpose many times over, and quite frankly, I'm tired of looking at it. I'd really rather not have to wait until level 72-73 to replace it. Part of the fun of the xpac for me is the feeling of progression, and new gear is one of the major means of doing so.

Halfmex on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

That's true, the hardcore pvpers are pretty big contributers as well.

And I understand what you're saying, I read that as well, but I do think that the massive amount of complaints on the official forums did have something of an effect, because I recall reading a blue response a few months ago stating that they heard players frustrations with replacing gear too quickly in TBC and that while it was still going to happen, they would try to ensure that it wouldn't be as pronounced as it was before. Maybe it was a Blizzcon response, I don't recall exactly, but I do remember reading it.

Except most of that complaining wasn't from the raiding community. We're used to gear turn over and for a lot of us we didn't replace our gear until the mid-70s. While there were exceptions for some of the specs that didn't have gear at all, I didn't see replacements for my healing set until the mid-70's. Most of the thread you're talking about was complaints about replacing tier 0.5.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2008
    Except most of that complaining wasn't from the raiding community. We're used to gear turn over and for a lot of us we didn't replace our gear until the mid-70s. While there were exceptions for some of the specs that didn't have gear at all, I didn't see replacements for my healing set until the mid-70's. Most of the thread you're talking about was complaints about replacing tier 0.5.
    I haven't seen a complaint for tier 0.5 in a couple of years. No, what I read was several threads on the official forums which were made by self-proclaimed raiders who were complaining that they didn't want their Tier 4/5/6 to be thrown away so quickly in Northrend. They didn't want to have TBC 2.0 where their gear becomes obsolete midway through the leveling process. In short, they wanted their hard-earned epics to have a good deal more value than they appeared to have. The CMs basically said "look, we hear you and we're going to dial it back a bit from what it was in TBC, but you're going to have to accept that this is an ever-changing game and you can't be at the top of the heap forever". I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of their responses.

Halfmex on
    edited September 2008
    And in the end, I think it's perfectly reasonable on both ends. There's going to be vocal asshats on both sides of the issue, but at the end of the day the raiders will retain their gear for a while (let's face it, depending on the quests you do and your luck with drops, some stuff will just last far longer than other pieces), and that sense of progression and that baseline'ing at 80 that Blizzard wants will be achieved.

I'm cool with replacing my gear. Hell, if I'm not mistaken, I'll probably replace a warglaive with a 76 or 77 quested rare, and that's fine. It'll have served me well and go in with the collection in my bank in a spot of distinction, and that's fine with me.

Forar on
    edited September 2008
    And in the end, I think it's perfectly reasonable on both ends. There's going to be vocal asshats on both sides of the issue, but at the end of the day the raiders will retain their gear for a while (let's face it, depending on the quests you do and your luck with drops, some stuff will just last far longer than other pieces), and that sense of progression and that baseline'ing at 80 that Blizzard wants will be achieved.

I'm cool with replacing my gear. Hell, if I'm not mistaken, I'll probably replace a warglaive with a 76 or 77 quested rare, and that's fine. It'll have served me well and go in with the collection in my bank in a spot of distinction, and that's fine with me.

I think that is a pretty good conversion rate:

replace

T4 -> 71-73
    T5 -> 73-76
    T6 -> 77-78
    T6.5> 79-80

Wombat02 on
    edited September 2008
    Personally I'd rather see T4 upgraded in at least the blue-quality quest rewards in the first areas of Northrend, but other than that I agree with that scale.

Halfmex on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wavechaser on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What about adopting the "Reccomended Level" feature from ol' Everquest?

Take items like the Warglaives, and give them a level 80 Reccomended Level, but level 70 Required level.

The item would have it's current stats at 70, but the stats would slowly increase as you level... like they did in EQ, until they hit the reccomended level (which wouldn't necessarily have to be 80, by any means)

This function worked well in EQ with weapons that didn't have proc effects (I powerlevelled from 1 to god-knows-what using a sword that constantly procced an instant-kill amount of damage, the stats meant nothing to me)

This would make replacing Legendary items with Greens nearly non-existant (because it's just plain stupid and unrealistic. I don't want to replace a lore-rich epic/legendary with a crappy sword that fell off of a pig because it has better stats.)

GPIA7R on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Downloading the WotLK client from the links at Wotlk Wiki would be several times faster than attempting to get it through the Blizzard Downloader, correct? And then the patches from there as well, or should those be downloaded by logging into the client to ensure it gets all the correct ones in the right order?

Lars on
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »

Really? I just saw it on MMO-Champion this morning.

Oh well.

Wavechaser on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    not like leveling is a big deal at all anymore

just agonizingly tedious

tyrannus on
    edited September 2008
    GPIA7R wrote: »

Take items like the Warglaives, and give them a level 80 Reccomended Level, but level 70 Required level.

The item would have it's current stats at 70, but the stats would slowly increase as you level... like they did in EQ, until they hit the reccomended level (which wouldn't necessarily have to be 80, by any means)

This function worked well in EQ with weapons that didn't have proc effects (I powerlevelled from 1 to god-knows-what using a sword that constantly procced an instant-kill amount of damage, the stats meant nothing to me)

This would make replacing Legendary items with Greens nearly non-existant (because it's just plain stupid and unrealistic. I don't want to replace a lore-rich epic/legendary with a crappy sword that fell off of a pig because it has better stats.)

It would also defeat the purpose of this particular MMO. It's a constantly evolving game, it would be probably be a bad idea to trivialize upgrading equipment.

Wavechaser on
    edited September 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    GPIA7R wrote: »

It would also defeat the purpose of this particular MMO. It's a constantly evolving game, it would be probably be a bad idea to trivialize upgrading equipment.

I don't particularly like the idea of items that stats change based on level. Getting new loots is a huge part (isn't it the only part) of WoW.

Wombat02 on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Personally I wouldn't mind the "stats change with level" mechanic if it ment that I could choose equipment based on looks rather than stats.

reVerse on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think it would be a cool mechanic for legendary gear. I mean, how legendary can it be if a polar bear has the chance to fart out something better?

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    legendary usually just means legendary for that particular area.

like if firebert would go and play with the Beasts, he would have a legendary penis, but in OS it's all green and unimpressive.

tyrannus on
    edited September 2008
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    I think it would be a cool mechanic for legendary gear. I mean, how legendary can it be if a polar bear has the chance to fart out something better?

Catch 22 though, because if that were implimented, then people would have to go back at level 80 to level 70 (or even 60) raid content in order to get said legendary. Nobody would want to run it but those who were going for the legendaries as well, so on and so forth. It's a vicious circle.

Constantly upgrading gear is just a part of MMO's.

Wavechaser on
    edited September 2008
    tyrannus wrote: »
    legendary usually just means legendary for that particular area.

like if firebert would go and play with the Beasts, he would have a legendary penis, but in OS it's all green and unimpressive.

Tom cruise in the closet?

Wombat02 on
This discussion has been closed.