As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Power Supplies: How big?

Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
My current power supply of almost 3 years is starting to die. Specifically the 12 volt rail has started to dip below 12 volts leading to graphical issues. Now, it came with a 5 year warranty so I can get it replaced, but I'm also overdue for a system upgrade and was already thinking of doing one in the next few months so I may want to just get a more modern power supply ahead of time so I'm not without a functioning computer while the dying/replacement power supplies are in transit.

To that end, what kinds of power supplies are people sticking in their systems these days? I fall out of the hardware loop if I'm not actually upgrading stuff so I've lost track of this stuff.

Big Dookie wrote: »
I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
Steel Angel on

• artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    here is one I ordered to do SLI with 2 9800 GTX video cards.

I suggest 600 and above. At least 750 if you're gonna SLI. And if you are crazy nuts rich and are gonna SLI x3, get a 1000 watt PSU.

If you have no idea what all those mean, sorry. :P

artoo on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    for a sole video card you should be fine with 500W on a single rail 12v system with more than 30 amps on it.

Dunadan019 on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So the 700+ PSUs are basically for people doing SLI? I may just stick with the 600W unit then, I stick to a single video card, I just run lots of hard drives.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That should be fine then.

artoo on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ego on
    Erik
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How big is your current PSU? Does that company still make it? If you do the warranty you may end up with a better PSU.

Also, a 500W PSU from a respectable company (Antec, Corsair) is plenty for a system with one video card.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Make/Model would be helpful. Also, what is your system's spec? Most new PSUs are either 24 or 20+4 pin, so make sure if it's an older system you get a 20+4 so the main ATX connector can be broken off to make a 20 pin (old ATX) connector.

1ddqd on