As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rare had Avatars before Miis.

artooartoo Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
Article.

I wonder if they knew about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHVkSf_MnSE

And that Miis were originally a DS idea?

I really dont think they had the idea before the Mii idea. Nintendo usually uses their ideas that they had earlier. (2 screens from Game and Watch = DS. Etc.)

artoo on

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ideas are worthless. Execution is everything.

Nintendo executed on their plans first. Therefore they had Miis before Rare.

Having a concept, or a plan or an idea is nothing until it is implemented.

The_Scarab on
  • artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I agree, I think them saying "But we had it first!" is kinda childish.

artoo on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I guess it's for all the "LOL UR COPYIN NINTY" comments they've had.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rare has vigorously denied suggestions that its Avatars for Xbox 360 are a deliberate attempt to copy Nintendo's popular Mii template, claiming that it began work on the project before Wii had launched.

Speaking to Eurogamer TV for today's show, head of art Lee Musgrave revealed that it was only after Microsoft had seen the original concepts for customisable in-game characters that it decided to put Avatars at the centre of the New Xbox Experience, the forthcoming dashboard overhaul due to launch this autumn.

Musgrave said: "It was an idea we had, even before Miis were part of the gaming scene, of putting these characters that you have an affinity with, not necessarily as part of the Xbox dash, but somewhere in the Xbox that you would play multiple games with, that you would have multiple experiences with that same character."

Seeking to hammer home the point that any similarity between Avatars and Miis was purely coincidental, producer Chris Sutherland added: "We had a project up and running that had Avatars in them and the aim was always to have this component where you were able to customise your character and apply clothing to them."

And just in case there was any remaining confusion, Musgrave assured us that "Microsoft did not turn up one day in a speeding car and say, 'They've got Miis - do something!' It wasn't like that at all; it was something that fell into place over a period of time." More likely a private jet anyway.

Microsoft doth protest too much.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • wyrlsswyrlss Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aren't avatars in general no longer considered an original concept? I mean, the Miis aren't trumpeted as new and super innovative, right? I mean, didn't Gibson write about avatars or something?

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
    edited September 2008
    wyrlss wrote: »
    Aren't avatars in general no longer considered an original concept? I mean, the Miis aren't trumpeted as new and super innovative, right? I mean, didn't Gibson write about avatars or something?

The idea of having an Avatar that represents you on your console and can be put in different games is somewhat new. (Although take note at the youtube video. Shows that Miis was being worked on a long time ago.)

artoo on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What are they going to claim next? That they invented the 3D platformer before the N64 launched? Because clearly they had the idea for Banjo Kazooie before Mario 64 defined that genre.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    edited September 2008
    What are they going to claim next? That they invented the 3D platformer before the N64 launched? Because clearly they had the idea for Banjo Kazooie before Mario 64 defined that genre.

From people like this.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't really care though. I dont want some douche representing myself online. I am tentative about even just an image. A screenname gamertag is all I care about but oh god you just know that the moment these things hit every single person you play against in COD4 will have hipster jeans and look like some 13 year olds idealized concept of what an adult looks like in the sims.

The_Scarab on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

And even then it only counts if you get it right. Hi there Konami's Guitar Games.

-SPI- on
    edited September 2008
    I don't really care though. I dont want some douche representing myself online. I am tentative about even just an image. A screenname gamertag is all I care about but oh god you just know that the moment these things hit every single person you play against in COD4 will have hipster jeans and look like some 13 year olds idealized concept of what an adult looks like in the sims.

Oh jesus, why did you say this...

You're so right.

artoo on
  • Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Very much this. As any writer will tell you.

Shoegaze99 on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have an idea for hover cars.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »

Which is why avatars are almost certainly going to be vastly superior.

Leitner on
    edited September 2008
    I totally had the idea for Home before Sony announced it. But I don't need to prove it.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd wager almost all mass-marketed consumer-level items have been copied from something else. A-big a-fuckin' a-whoop.

Why would Rare even waste the time responding to these harsh criticisms?

I'm all fired up from ridiculous political debate. Blargh.

Monsty on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rare works very hard to make me dislike them. Good job guys, you're totally succeeding!

Clint Eastwood on
    edited September 2008
    The only people that actually care about "MS/RARE IS STEALING FROM NINTY!" are the annoying Wii fanboys who you don't want to be.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited September 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    The only people that actually care about "MS/RARE IS STEALING FROM NINTY!" are the annoying Wii fanboys who you don't want to be.

You seem to be really defensive about it. Why do you care so much?

RidleySaria on
    edited September 2008

Because I don't suffer retards gladly?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Interestingly (if I'm remembering right), they had -- and implemented -- a technology like this all the way back in 98 or 99. You could import a photo of yourself to Perfect Dark as a texture, then play the deathmatch as "yourself". The feature was nixed following the Columbine shooting. It was a bit less refined than their current gimmick, obviously, but their new avatars seem like a natural evolution of that technology.

wasted pixels on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And Kirby's Air Ride did Achievements a couple years before the XBox 360 (and there are probably other games that did it even earlier). Who cares?

RainbowDespair on
    edited September 2008

Well congratulations on giving those Rare hating Wii fanboys what for. Onward, brave internet crusader!

RidleySaria on
    edited September 2008

Well congratulations on giving those Rare hating Wii fanboys what for. Onward, brave internet crusader!

I think you have the wrong impression here, but by all means continue telling the world how much of a travesty this really is.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited September 2008

I think you have the wrong impression here, but by all means continue telling the world how much of a travesty this really is.

Oh believe me, I'm doing it right now. ;-)

RidleySaria on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MS still stole it from Nintendo. Nuff said.

urahonky on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Interestingly (if I'm remembering right), they had -- and implemented -- a technology like this all the way back in 98 or 99. You could import a photo of yourself to Perfect Dark as a texture, then play the deathmatch as "yourself". The feature was nixed following the Columbine shooting. It was a bit less refined than their current gimmick, obviously, but their new avatars seem like a natural evolution of that technology.

I always wondered why they got rid of that feauture, I was really looking forward to making my friend a porcupine.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    edited September 2008
    Leitner wrote: »
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »

Which is why avatars are almost certainly going to be vastly superior.

That was gold. :^:

urahonky on
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't get it. Does it really matter who worked on it first?

Eventually it's all going to be about who does it better anyway.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Inzigna wrote: »

Exactly. For example, Gears of War wasn't the first action game to implement a cover system, but it gets the credit because it was the first game that really did it right in the public's eye.

RainbowDespair on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Inzigna wrote: »

Yes. You don't see 360 fanboys running around screaming about how Nintendo stole the Virtual Console idea from Xbox Live.

I have a feeling I'll end up giving out some infractions in this thread. Play nice or don't post.

Accualt on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Simpsons did it first.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow, those 64DDers are better than Miis.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbaNZ7IwrxY
    I just like the history of the idea.

Couscous on
    edited September 2008
    I hope people can tell that I was kidding. :P

urahonky on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbaNZ7IwrxY
    I just like the history of the idea.

Holy cow.....

No wonder Nintendo is cautious about storage mediums. They've tried twice to incorporate disk drives into systems (though, as a separate accessory) and neither made it very far.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

And Nintendo incorporated it from other companies too. People scream about innovation this generation without realizing that pretty much anything innovative done on a console this gen was done on previous consoles, or more than likely PCs maaaaany years earlier.

I actually can't blame Rare for coming out and saying this with the crazy stupid backlash that happened when the avatars were announced. I also don't see what's so horrible with them saying that they had been working on the idea for a while. They're not saying that Nintendo ripped them off. They're not taking shots at the Wii. They're just saying they've been working on a similar idea for a long time, too. Um... oh noes?

Aoi on
    edited September 2008
    Aoi wrote: »

And Nintendo incorporated it from other companies too. People scream about innovation this generation without realizing that pretty much anything innovative done on a console this gen was done on previous consoles, or more than likely PCs maaaaany years earlier.

I actually can't blame Rare for coming out and saying this with the crazy stupid backlash that happened when the avatars were announced. I also don't see what's so horrible with them saying that they had been working on the idea for a while. They're not saying that Nintendo ripped them off. They're not taking shots at the Wii. They're just saying they've been working on a similar idea for a long time, too. Um... oh noes?

Sorry Aoi. I didn't add enough /sarcasm to my post. :)

urahonky on
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aoi wrote: »

I think its just a matter of giving credit where credit is due. Instead of saying, "Yeah we saw their implementation and it was a real inspiration to us!" they say, "We were thinking about this long before we saw their shit. They ain't got nothing on us." Regardless, who give a shit. If some dev wants to sit in his room and jack off to his own greatness, thats his problem. History will work itself out regardless of whatever claims he makes.

DigDug2000 on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Good lord man, could you read any more into what they're saying? How often does anyone give credit in this business? They didn't shit on Nintendo, they just stated that they had been working on the idea for a while too, and that they may have even been working on them prior to the unveiling of Nintendo. Again, Nintendo weren't the first company ever to do something like this either, but you don't see them giving credit to the PC industry, or other console manufacturers for it (or rumble, or analog, etc). Yeesh. Ideas overlap. They always have.

Aoi on