As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shutup and Let Me [PHOTO]

• anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    here's uno:
    2858310756_165636b6a7.jpg

Awesome that you got a chance to play with the lighting more. I like this one a lot more than all of the last ones so you're definitely in the right direction. Cool too that you got to try the blue back/orange front lighting.

anable on
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm loving this thread so far. Awesome shots.

Cyco: If I had to take a picture from your group, I'd go with the third one. I think it has to do with the angle that it was taken at (or perhaps that just the dude is airborne). I also like the track/trail being more in the foreground rather than off-road.

Here are a few more of me playing around in Asheville today.

As-228.jpg
    Mellow Mushroom!

As-230.jpg
    Mellow Mushroom!

As-246.jpg
    Wisdom!

As-238.jpg
    I'm not sure how I want to crop this. I like the expression though.

An-D on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    2858664898_99a2968625_o.png

finally editing all these photos

Projeck on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    AN-D. I like the 2nd shot the most. The rest don't do much for me interest-wise.
    Projeck: His hair is rad. Little warm though on the coloring. But it adds a certain effect.

Opinions and crap pls:

2858735736_2af7cb2663_b.jpg

2858724190_0a6c9bf214_b.jpg

2857896617_562dbdc0c5_b.jpg

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My Nephew, AKA "The Beef"

2346807326_3da93b0c4f_o.jpg

Squabman on
    lagbagg.png
  • Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Prospicience: I think it needs some light on the eyes (not too much, just to get rid of the completely empty sockets look), otherwise it's great.

Cycophant: I second the third as being my first choice (this sentence pleases me).

Altman: The second is the only interesting one of those really, the first is really blurry.

family.jpg

djump.jpg

amanda.jpg

mirrortree.jpg

gren.jpg

Jake! on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I like the first one, it's comical. :)

Aldo on
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jives - the cropped version is definitely better, and the picture's quite nice

anable - Great aquarium shots! The B&W and pink anemones are both way cool, and the fish shots are, too.

fraz - I like the kitty picture. Good angle, nice soft lighting.

An-d - I wish both shots w/ mushrooms were in focus! I like the cheerleader shot a lot.

Gaf - I dont think anyone ha mentioned the wall decorations, but I think that's sweet photo. The building is great, and the guns are terrific.

Shaz - there's some good lighting on the building, but somehow that distracts me from the crowd.

Prosp - nice lighting. The portrait's a little sinister, and I bet that was the desired effect.

Cycophant - I agree with Gafoto, and for the same reasons.

An-d - none of the building pics really interest me. They don't seem to do anything interesting with shapes in the compositions. There are neat bits (the rusty drum on the roof in the first one) but in each image the image-as-a-whole is kinda chaotic. The girl is cute and her smile is intriguing. I wish that trashcan wasn't overlapping with her.

Projek - I like the portrait of the dude except for the colo-pallette being so far to the red. Did you try adjusting the white balance in post and see if you can get it back to true? Maybe it's intentional, which is cool. If so, ignore me. :-)

Altmann - the focus is too soft on her eyes. In a portrait I always want to look in the subject's eyes, and hers especially because of the great blue color. I think your focus is on the tip of her nose. Other than that, I like the DOF and the bokeh effect on the necklace, and I am lukewarm on the extreme angle of the shot. But the eyes really bother me. In the 2nd picture, I loathe cigarettes. Yuck. The third one doesn't have enough tonal range to really come alive in my opinion. The histogram is basically empty from the middle to the right.

Squabman - great eyes!

Jake - the hovering people is fun, but what really catches my eye is the shrubbery-plus-refelction! That's sweet!

erisian pope on
    edited September 2008
    Double-post, because that last post was long and wordy, and this one is OMG CONCRETE TV!

IMG_5904.jpg

"Hey kids, let's go out to the yard and watch tellyvision!"

"Aw, but dad, we can't ever get it to change channels."

EDIT: A closeup for detail:

IMG_5907.jpg

erisian pope on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's rad! I want.

They should paint a picture on the front.

Try a gritty black and white of it, because I want to see it!

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    edited September 2008
    Like so?

IMG_5904_distressed.jpg

erisian pope on
    edited September 2008
    I think the really nice warm hue of the TV gets lost in the background on the B&W, liked the first two a load more.

Jake! on
    edited September 2008
    Jake, I agree. I like it best in color.

So, I bought a real tripod finally (as opposed to the $20 one I bought for my P&S which finally broke under the weight of my SLR plus 105mm lens). I got a Manfrotto 190xdb and it kicks ass!!. I can raise each leg to horizontal (but the center column is still ~18" and so the tripod won't sit flat on the ground) and I got a cheap ballhead (Giotto, not off-brand-cheap, just low-end for a real brand) and I went out today and shot a bunch and I LOVE IT!!!!

IMG_5928.jpg

erisian pope on
  • PilcrowPilcrow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Love that TV, Pope. I like the B&W better but then, I have terrible taste.

Pilcrow on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cyco: #3 is my favorite because of the lower angle of the shot as well as the height in the air like Gafoto explained. In the future though, I'd say try to get more of where he's going than where he took off from. Not sure if that makes a ton of sense.

An-D : the building shots also not doing much for me, it looks like there was a lot of potential with all the lines and different shapes inside the building, but I guess pope's description fits it kinda best with "chaotic". The second is cool but you've got whatever is hanging at the bottom of the pic that doesn't really fit.

Edit: I really like your football game pics though, the kickoff one is sweet!

Projeck: very cool portrait, I really like the lighting.

Jake!: 3&4 are tops man. The others are great too, (#2 has a great vintagey feel to it) but those really get me. Probably the reflections, I'm a sucker for good reflection pics.

Pope: oh man, that cement TV pic is awesome. Definitely like the colored ones more as well, makes me think of Fallout...

Altmann: Digging the second two, rather have the eyes in focus on the first one though.

Pretty much I didn't really need to write any of this because I think pope said it all already...

Thanks everyone a bunch for the crits! Jake: That particular shot I didn't really want his eyes to be very visibile (if at all), but normally I'd agree with you 100% on that.

Prospicience on
    edited September 2008
    I know what you were going for, but I think you need just a hint of eye (imo). Reflections you say...

reading.jpg

reflected_hills.jpg

cake3.jpg

Should say, I took quite a few of these shots on a windsurfer with my camera...

Jake! on
    edited September 2008
    Ok, that cake is off the hook!

I'm just going to ignore that comment about camera+windsurfer ... I can't handle the stress of even thinking about it! But if that's what it took to get the first shot then it was worth it!(?)! That's a wonderful picture.

erisian pope on
    edited September 2008
    Pilcrow wrote: »
    Love that TV, Pope. I like the B&W better but then, I have terrible taste.

I'm a fan of the b/w myself.

Jake - I pretty much dig all of your reflection shots. The bush one on the previous page especially just because it throws off the eye at first.

anable on
  • SheepmanSheepman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    the bush reflecting one is so ace

really great one.

and anable im still smitten with your pink aquarium photo

Sheepman on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm really digging that B&W one Jake, now gimme that cake.

Squab: Meant to comment before on the baby pic, so great! love the cool colors and great DoF.

Here's your goddamn eyes JAKE!
    2860259973_b54a54901e.jpg

and a couple moar:
    2860259563_effb7c0ac0.jpg

2861088752_8030836ec1.jpg

Prospicience on
  • SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    grasshoppa!

2860905252_127e81f3cf.jpg

Squabman on
    lagbagg.png
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Squabman: That picture of the kid is pretty sweet. Brilliant eyes. Also, further down, that a fucking good shot of a grasshopper-cricket-thing.

Jake!: Is that tree floating? And I love the reflection in the sitting by the water picture. The cake picture is totally boss.

erisian pope: I find myself more partial to the color TV picture...of course, I was born in the last 80s, so I never had to deal with those old-school black and white ones. :P (see what I did there?) Great shot though...did you do that to the TV or did you just find it like that?

Prospicience: I would never make any of my younger brothers look that badass in a picture. To each their own, I guess. Well done (though I preferred the earlier one without the eyes being visible).

An-D on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I bought a flash!

This post is for Sheri because she hugged me and made me promise to post in AC more.

gnomelo0.jpg

#pipe on
    edited September 2008
    Pipe - I like the composition in that.

AnD - I found it in some dude's yard. Austin is great for yard-art in the right neighbordhoods (and actually, this neighborhood was new for me ... my wife and I were just driving around).

Squabman - That's close! Is that with a macro lens or with a telephoto?

Prosp - #1 kicks all kinds of ass. #2 is great, too. It would be good for promotional material and whatnot.

erisian pope on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanks Pope

I like the cut of your jib.

#pipe on
    edited September 2008
    Pipe - That's pretty great. I agree with Pope on the framing. Also just an adorable subject.

I played around with some film this past weekend! :O

Flim can be crazy crisp:
    2861781708_3b939a0cc8.jpg

Unfortunately, my film camera was a manual focus:
    2860953609_9a486a805b.jpg
    But god damn if that's not the happiest fish I've ever seen.

More low light aquarium:
    2860953069_e36b3568c1.jpg

Then I had to fag up the roll with some art shit:
    2861782036_88c32dde84.jpg

2861782822_5d548aedd8.jpg

anable on
  • CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Woot, thanks guys. I was leaning more towards shot #3 myself as well, and for similar reasons as most of you. And I definitely agree with the comment of trying to get the motorcycle more "entering the frame" rather than "leaving"; alas, it simply came down to timing, and with a motorcycle going 30 or 40 mph a few feet from the camera, I simply couldn't capture frames fast enough to really get accurate timing down.

Pope: That TV kicks ass, if for no other reason than I spent a good few minutes racking my brain trying to think of how it was made. I agree though, the colour variant works much better.

Jake!: I really love those first two shots, though I think I might like to see the second one in colour, but I suppose that largely depends on what kind of foliage that hill in the distance had, and what kind of sky you were working with. Still, well done.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ooooh anable that last one rules

Projeck on
    edited September 2008
    The fish is all :O

#pipe on
  • peteaboda1peteaboda1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow, I am really liking a lot of the photos in this new thread :D. I just finished scanning in some old prints, though I am not happy with all of them (back from the b&w film photography days).

4x6allyman.jpg
    Originally this person was at the very end when I decided to take a photo, and they started speeding up so I had to snap it as quick as possible. This was developed and printed at a professional place to save time.
    Ahhhg, it didn't scan straight, oh well.
    personally.jpg
    Here is an 8x10 print I did in the dark room with it. I know I should have burned the corner but didn't out of the work it required. EDIT: Actually it looks like it could have used a filter as well :S.
    cobra.jpg
    Not the best angle I could have gotten, but others were oggling all over it =/. Another one of my prints in the dark room
    allys.jpg
    From the same roll as the first ally shot. Somewhat boring when I look at it now. Although I do like the fact that it randomly says "Asians" on the wall. Thinking about it now I think that is why I took the picture.
    taillight.jpg
    Taillight of a classic car. It is a bit hard to make out because of the way it reflects.
    buildingside.jpg
    This is one I really liked but I found it was scratched somehow :(.

peteaboda1 on
    AcridMeat.png
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jake! wrote: »
    I know what you were going for, but I think you need just a hint of eye (imo). Reflections you say...

reading.jpg

Should say, I took quite a few of these shots on a windsurfer with my camera...

I'm giving you the finger over the internet so hard right now. This is fantastic. The contrast between the non-chalant lawn chair and the landscape projects a sense of man in control of nature versus the abiding and wisened eye of nature that has seen the rise and fall of many species.

errr...well, something like that anyway.

Also, here are some things:

RustBucket_2.jpg

FlyFishing_9.jpg

Flyfishing.jpg

Uncle Long on
  • peteaboda1peteaboda1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This may sound weird, but I see a landscape within the rust of that ship towards the right.

peteaboda1 on
    AcridMeat.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So busy lately, haven't had much time to shoot or develop, but here's one that was kind of fun. Kind of a meditation on the housing crunch.

2857763861_feaaa29875_b.jpg

I'm interested to see any crits on this shot, since it is borderline boring, but that's somewhat the point I guess. The main point of the shot was the tattered flag in the wind.

Dark_Side on
    edited September 2008
    I stole some art and made an art out of it:
    2861511969_96bce85690_o.jpg
    Images stolen from Altmann

anable on
    edited September 2008
    Cheers guys, Long especially, if only because I have an image of someone sticking their hand an inch from the screen, face screwed up with anger, finger up, fist shaking with silent rage. Like that shot of the board walk by the way, although it looks a bit tilted. I'd also see if I could make the left edge of the hand rail run off the frame in the same way as the right.

prop: Much better. You've still got the dark, brooding look going, but there's personality rather than empty sockets.

anable: that first shot is pretty funny.

Cycophant: Not sure who said to get it entering the frame, but I think it's better it's going out of the frame; it re-enforces the sense that the bike is flying past, and makes for a better, more atmospheric photo.

Also, on that particular shot the sky is blown out. I've got another one from earlier in the day that works in colour
    reflectedhills2.jpg

Dark_Side: I can see what you're going for with that shot, but having the main focus dead on like that sucks a little bit. I think you could crop it down to just above the first set of wires, and crop something off the side to move it off centre.

dougdock.jpg

amyanddougie.jpg

dougieboat.jpg

This is the surfboard by the way. I went out for a test run, and it seemed fine. When I went out with the camera it was a little later in the day, and the large tourist pleasure cruiser had started sailing round the lake; it makes very big waves....

dougiejump.jpg

Jake! on
  • SheepmanSheepman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jake: the only one i really like out of those is the canoe because of the really cool soft reflection

the last one is way too blown out

on second look i quite like the movement of the boats in the first one compared to the dude and the circles on the ground.

Sheepman on
    edited September 2008
    So guys, kind of a weird question considering the usual talk about pricey cameras and what have you.

My cell phone is kinda dying and I think my next one will have a camera on it. Considering I hardly use the one I now have (like, at most 1 call every 2 weeks) I was thinking about using it as a sort of simple camera that doesn't require me to haul any extra stuff with me (wallet+cell phone+MP3 player is really pushing the limits of my pants :P ).

So does anyone have any opinions of what to pay attention to when buying a cell phone w/ camera? How much megapixel is the bare minimum to tell the difference between a butterfly and a daisy?

Please note that I haven't look at cell phones for over 5 years.

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    Honestly, I wish I'd blown it out a bit more.

edit:
    dougiejump2.jpg

Aldo: I think that ironically you'd be better asking in help/advice, although if you're set on the idea of reducing your wallet, why not get a phone that's an mp3 player? Even a shit compact will be better than a top of the line camera phone. From what I can tell, the Samsung G600 and N82 are supposed to be the best two on the market right now, both take photo's no better than the el-cheapo digital stills camera I had in 2001. It was 3.2 mp compared with 5 on the flagship camera phones, but optically they suck.

Jake! on
    edited September 2008
    Jake! wrote: »
    Honestly, I wish I'd blown it out a bit more.

Aldo: I think that ironically you'd be better asking in help/advice, although if you're set on the idea of reducing your wallet, why not get a phone that's an mp3 player? Even a shit compact will be better than a top of the line camera phone. From what I can tell, the Samsung G600 and N82 are supposed to be the best two on the market right now, both take photo's no better than the el-cheapo digital stills camera I had in 2001. It was 3.2 mp compared with 5 on the flagship camera phones, but optically they suck.
    Ugh, i guessed as much. I thought about using it as a sort of thing for quick pictures of things I run into on my daily commute. I really like the idea of having to make pictures with extremely little in the way of extra zoom functions etc. That guy who travelled through the South back in the 60s with only a shoddy old camera but who made such impressive pictures of the segregation that he's still famous now is pretty much a hero of mine. I just can't remember his name.

Anyway, if it's going to get expensive I'm just going to go for another extremely cheap thing without any extra functions and forget about the whole camera thing. Thanks Jake!

Aldo on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Some photos I took today at the Obama speech:

2863543728_709e457ac8_o.jpg

2862688997_548b59746c_o.jpg

2863522142_60fc5699fd_o.jpg

2862690145_f0c6bde71c_o.jpg

more here if anyone wants to look:
    http://flickr.com/photos/jeff25rs/

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
This discussion has been closed.