As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Healer Archetypes: You are a hat.

• Options
    RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dac wrote: »
    As a Zealot who likes to spam HoTs everywhere, the coefficient on Willpower to Healing saddens me.

Nevertheless, I still get around tops healing in most Scenarios. I'm waiting to see what it'll be like in T3, though. I expect I'll be tearing my own hair out since OH GOD MY WHOLE TEAM IS IN THE LAVA AGAIN.

Fixed that for you.

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ryokaze wrote: »
    As a Zealot who likes to spam HoTs everywhere, the coefficient on Willpower to Healing saddens me.

Nevertheless, I still get around tops healing in most Scenarios. I'm waiting to see what it'll be like in T3, though. I expect I'll be tearing my own hair out since OH GOD MY WHOLE TEAM IS IN THE LAVA AGAIN.

Fixed that for you.

Well played.

Yes. This will also be annoying. Having lived through it on my Black Orc, I'm not eager to take to that scenario once again.

Seriously what the fuck. Why does the lava SNARE? I don't care if it makes logical sense, that's what makes it horrible - being three feet away from safety but getting burned to a crisp regardless.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does INT affect dots? I'm still choosing wounds/toughness over both int/willpower but it would make int items a far better choice than wp.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Fixed that for you.

Well played.

Yes. This will also be annoying. Having lived through it on my Black Orc, I'm not eager to take to that scenario once again.

Seriously what the fuck. Why does the lava SNARE? I don't care if it makes logical sense, that's what makes it horrible - being three feet away from safety but getting burned to a crisp regardless.

Well that's how Lava works.

The fact that they made a PvP instance based around one of the most lethal substances in mankind however, bewilders me.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Fixed that for you.

Well played.

My favorite part of Tor Anroc, was when one of my chosen guildies was on that super narrow landbridge that leads up to the bauble's spawn point, and I was keeping him up just fine against the entire order team with elixir+hot spam. Then he gets knocked into the lava, and suddenly I just can't keep up, even though he's not getting hit by anybody else any more.

The lava deals more damage than the entire opposing team.

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok, maybe I'm misunderstanding something. I was playing around with the spec tool on wardb and it appears that the X over time tree doesn't actually help any of my HoTs. Leaping alteration is in the AoE tree, Cordial is a core ability, and only the front loaded portion of Dark Medicine is effected.

Add in the fact that willpower doesn't do diddly to improve hots and this makes me a sad little Zealot. I mostly use hots.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    Does INT affect dots? I'm still choosing wounds/toughness over both int/willpower but it would make int items a far better choice than wp.

About as much as willpower affects HoTs, it seems.

Echo on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Fixed that for you.

Well played.

Well that's how Lava works.

The fact that they made a PvP instance based around one of the most lethal substances in mankind however, bewilders me.

Its awesome. Like the nuke maps in Halflife deathmatch and CS:S.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Tor Anroc is fucking Mario Kart in that the lava is like the blue shell: the great equalizer. No amount of skill will save you.

Dac on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Willpower in general seems pretty shit, just extra shitty for HoTs. Got some numbers from my level 20 zealot. With 410 willpower my Cordial tics for 190=950 total healed while with 171 willpower it tics for 176=880 total healed.

Yea, 239 willpower equals an extra 70points of healing over 15 seconds.

But even on my large heal, dark elixer, 410 willpower = 744 health healed while 171 willpower = 600 health healed. Is that extra 144 healing really worth the stats I'm giving up to stack that much willpower?

Assume for a minute that I could find +wounds gear equal to the +willpower I currently have(May not be possible, but I bet I could get close), that would give me +2390 hitpoints. Thats nearly double my current hp and would increase my survivability by a goddamn ton, letting me get off more heals before dying. The only other benefit that willpower gives is increasing your disrupt chance. With 171 willpower I have a 6.4% chance to disrupt, with 410 willpower I have a 15.4% chance. Sure that extra 9% disrupt is nice, but compared to doubling my hitpoints I don't think it really compares at all.

I'm enjoying my zealot immensely, but I think I'm going to start stacking wounds and see whether that increases my effectiveness or not.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Stack toughness, yo!

Dac on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I have about 420 willpower on my level 30 warrior priest, I find my heals heal for about 150 more than the tooltip says. Given said heals are relatively low power group heals, thats quite a bump.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Nevertheless, I still get around tops healing in most Scenarios. I'm waiting to see what it'll be like in T3, though. I expect I'll be tearing my own hair out since the damage scales up so ridiculously.

I heard the same thing before entering T3 on my Zealot, and it's not nearly as bad as you think. If you're competent enough to be topping meters in T2, you'll do fine in T3, just a few more things to take into consideration (knockbacks, positioning, lava.)

Healing for a Zealot can keep up with damage in T3 just because of a few skills - especially if you are Dark Rites. Leaping Alteration is insanely good, as well as the Ritual in that tree as well. (Damage seeking AoE HoT + Groupwide HoT + Individual HoTs + Pretty strong flat out group heal with no cooldown = Some efficient and effective fucking healing.)

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    150?

No offense man, but my Aggro BO takes more than that off a non-crit Wot Armor, and Wot Armor has terrible +damage (but I luvs me the -armor <3)

Nevertheless, I still get around tops healing in most Scenarios. I'm waiting to see what it'll be like in T3, though. I expect I'll be tearing my own hair out since the damage scales up so ridiculously.

I heard the same thing before entering T3 on my Zealot, and it's not nearly as bad as you think. If you're competent enough to be topping meters in T2, you'll do fine in T3, just a few more things to take into consideration (knockbacks, positioning, lava.)

Healing for a Zealot can keep up with damage in T3 just because of a few skills - especially if you are Dark Rites. Leaping Alteration is insanely good, as well as the Ritual in that tree as well. (Damage seeking AoE HoT + Groupwide HoT + Individual HoTs + Pretty strong flat out group heal with no cooldown = Some efficient and effective fucking healing.)

Is Leaping Alteration really that good? Just from the tooltip, it didn't seem 'all that', just something to help pad the healing numbers a little bit. (Still level 12, don't have it yet, so I could be waaaaay off.)

Dac on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Leaping Alteration by itself is by no means a great form of healing, but when you add pretty much all of what I mentioned it becomes a great component in what you'll be doing as a Zealot to keep whole groups up in 90% of RvR situations. It IS great for padding the meters, but it's still great for general group healing management.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Stack toughness, yo!

Except that toughness works identically to willpower, except in reverse. So presumably it does jack-all against DoTs and not a whole lot against other stuff.

I mean even if I could get up to 300 toughness on my level 20 zealot(and I think I could if I wore all +toughness gear) compared to my current 130tough it would only remove an additional 51 damage from a insta nuke/melee hit. Against something like fireball(the BW's 3s single target nuke) it would only prevent 102 damage. Considering that those damn fireballs hit me for 500+ damage that would be like an additional 20% resist.

I think doubling my hitpoints with wounds would increase my survivability more.
    I have about 420 willpower on my level 30 warrior priest, I find my heals heal for about 150 more than the tooltip says. Given said heals are relatively low power group heals, thats quite a bump.

Assuming you mean "Touch of the Divine", yea 420 willpower would increase it by 186. Compared to 419 base(if you are Salvation spec) or 311(if you aren't) thats a 45/59% increase.

I guess part of the problem is that a zealot has no low-powered direct heals. Its all either hots or large heals(Or Dark Medicine, but that needs its AP cost dropped to about 40 to be worth casting).

edit: actually I guess the zealot's group heal does the same as the WP's, except with a longer cast time. I just rarely find myself casting it since by T3 its mostly assist trains and don't often find multiple members of my group hurt who can wait 3s for a heal.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    150?

No offense man, but my Aggro BO takes more than that off a non-crit Wot Armor, and Wot Armor has terrible +damage (but I luvs me the -armor <3)
    Warrior priests don't have single target instant heals.

Tool tip says 180 for martyr's blessing., actual heals for about 280. Touch of the divine tootip is 455, actual heal is 650+.

These are healing 6 people at once, or everyone within 30 feet for martyr's blessing.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    FragtasticFragtastic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Will my shaman ever be comparable to Zealots or am I just doing it wrong? Seems like they own me in the healing department by at least 20k in scenarios, t2. Also, should I just be stacking willpower if I'm healing spec, or should I diversify my spec and gear?

Fragtastic on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Avoid willpower; it's largely useless to shamans. A good zealot will almost always beat you in raw healing, but it shouldn't be by that much.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So doing 52,000 healing (second, first at 54,000) and still doing 12,000 damage in Mourkian Temple on my Rune Priest at 18 is god damn hilariously awesome.

I <3 Rune of Cleaving when the entire destruction team is stacked in one place.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    Willpower in general seems pretty shit, just extra shitty for HoTs. Got some numbers from my level 20 zealot. With 410 willpower my Cordial tics for 190=950 total healed while with 171 willpower it tics for 176=880 total healed.

Yea, 239 willpower equals an extra 70points of healing over 15 seconds.

But even on my large heal, dark elixer, 410 willpower = 744 health healed while 171 willpower = 600 health healed. Is that extra 144 healing really worth the stats I'm giving up to stack that much willpower?

Assume for a minute that I could find +wounds gear equal to the +willpower I currently have(May not be possible, but I bet I could get close), that would give me +2390 hitpoints. Thats nearly double my current hp and would increase my survivability by a goddamn ton, letting me get off more heals before dying. The only other benefit that willpower gives is increasing your disrupt chance. With 171 willpower I have a 6.4% chance to disrupt, with 410 willpower I have a 15.4% chance. Sure that extra 9% disrupt is nice, but compared to doubling my hitpoints I don't think it really compares at all.

I'm enjoying my zealot immensely, but I think I'm going to start stacking wounds and see whether that increases my effectiveness or not.

I began to question my effectiveness as a healer (zealot) when I started giving up willpower in groups of 10-15 points to add toughness and wounds. I was thinking to myself, how am I going to heal? How am I going to keep up my wards? But I did it anyway, because I like to experiment.

My level 29 Zealot currently has about 4,600 health. His toughness is crap, and his resistances aren't anything to write home about. His willpower is somewhere close to 500, and you know what? Ever since I switched to this itemization about 4 levels ago, I haven't had any problems healing (not that I did before, but still none). And, the coolest part is, I can now survive when people try to hit me.

Join the dark side, sir. Stack willpower and wounds. Initiative and toughness are good for tertiary stats, too. But wounds, man. Wounds.

Rend on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    but I love my full willpower gear D:

I'm a glass healer.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    but I love my full willpower gear D:

I'm a glass healer.

I felt the same way, but honestly you simply need to try Willpower/Wounds and you'll see the error of your ways. An insignificant amount of healing vs. a massive amount of survivability should be a no brainer - you aren't doing much healing if you're dead.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As long as we're on the subject, here's what I'm thinking, stats in order of most important to least important:

Willpower - Wounds
    Toughness
    Initiative

Should I reverse Tough and Init.? They are both basically protecting against the same thing, but I'm just not sure.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Personally, I like to avoid a giant chain of huge spiky crits, so I'd lean more towards Init over Toughness.

Dac on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rend wrote: »
    As long as we're on the subject, here's what I'm thinking, stats in order of most important to least important:

Willpower - Wounds
    Toughness
    Initiative

Should I reverse Tough and Init.? They are both basically protecting against the same thing, but I'm just not sure.

Do you enjoy being raped through the pants by stealthers? If no, stack initiative.

Initiative > stealth.

Oats on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'm really not a fan of leaping alteration or the healing ritual. When compared with innervate, the healing ritual is just subpar, I mean maybe you can stack up a bunch of renown with the huge number of small healing ticks with it, but the effects are just leagues apart.

My problem with leaping alteration is one of usefulness. The short jump range on it really limits its utility. In order to take advantage of your own empowered alteration, you have to basically be humping the zerg that you're using it on which makes it... somewhat dangerous to use. Dust of pandamonium is absolutely amazing though, combining it with crit tactics is some of the best synergy I've seen in the game so far.

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    FragtasticFragtastic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When it comes to knockback, does my position matter or is it the relative position of the player using the knockback that determines the direction of the knockback?

Fragtastic on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Fragtastic wrote: »
    When it comes to knockback, does my position matter or is it the relative position of the player using the knockback that determines the direction of the knockback?

Both. Not all knockbacks use the same mechanic though - it depends on the skill entirely. Some knockbacks only knockback in a frontal cone (Like the Zealot one) and some are totally around the area of the caster (One of the WL KBs is like this, if I'm not mistaken). Either way, it knocks you straight back relative to the caster.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'm really not a fan of leaping alteration or the healing ritual. When compared with innervate, the healing ritual is just subpar, I mean maybe you can stack up a bunch of renown with the huge number of small healing ticks with it, but the effects are just leagues apart.

My problem with leaping alteration is one of usefulness. The short jump range on it really limits its utility. In order to take advantage of your own empowered alteration, you have to basically be humping the zerg that you're using it on which makes it... somewhat dangerous to use. Dust of pandamonium is absolutely amazing though, combining it with crit tactics is some of the best synergy I've seen in the game so far.

I think I have to disagree on this one. AP to your party is nice, especially 50 at 20%, though this isn't necessarily as helpful to you doing your job as a healer - especially because you're not attacking to gain from this. Whereas 100 HP every 3 seconds for up to 5 people for 30 seconds, that shit adds up when you have Leaping Alteration bouncing around, as well as Cordial on the priority targets. Dust of Pandemonium is a huge skill as well for general group healing if the damage is spread out enough (and in my experience in most scenarios and keep sieges this is how it is.)

To respond to the range issue, by no means do you have to be 'humping the zerg'. I am VERY comfortably in the backlines and healing range on these skills are absolutely not an issue.

Secondly, going for Lunacy means Alchemy, which IMO is an inferior healing spec for the vast majority of healing situations. Flash of Chaos and Elixir are my least used heals even when I was Alchemy and Witch Craft spec'd, personally I don't see a reason to boost them up at the expense of potential for the ever-so-nifty group spells.

But to each his own - I just want to be fair about these strange misconceptions you have about the range and healing potential of Dark Rites, as I've personally tried every spec.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, any Rune Priest going Path of Grimnir? I really like the sound of this tree. But the tooltip and even on WarDB the information for Master Rune of Adamant doesn't show up. Is the skill itself bugged or is it just the tooltip and when you get it, it shows the information correctly or at least reactions correctly?

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The short jump range on it really limits its utility. In order to take advantage of your own empowered alteration, you have to basically be humping the zerg that you're using it on which makes it... somewhat dangerous to use.
    To respond to the range issue, by no means do you have to be 'humping the zerg'. I am VERY comfortably in the backlines and healing range on these skills are absolutely not an issue.

Leaping alteration has a 30 yard range on its bounces. To take advantage of your own empowered alteration (the tactic that makes leaping alteration remotely worthwhile, +48 AP to each target per cast) you have to be basically on top of the people you're casting it on.
    AP to your party is nice, especially 50 at 20%,

It's really not just "nice," it's horribly overpowered. It actually has a slight advantage over the runepriest counterpart, in that it goes off on any attack, including autoattacks. My melee literally never run out of AP with innervate down, they can spam whatever abilities they feel like 100% of the time and never run out. The advantage just can't be overstated.

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The short jump range on it really limits its utility. In order to take advantage of your own empowered alteration, you have to basically be humping the zerg that you're using it on which makes it... somewhat dangerous to use.

Leaping alteration has a 30 yard range on its bounces. To take advantage of your own empowered alteration (the tactic that makes leaping alteration remotely worthwhile, +48 AP to each target per cast) you have to be basically on top of the people you're casting it on.
    AP to your party is nice, especially 50 at 20%,

It's really not just "nice," it's horribly overpowered. It actually has a slight advantage over the runepriest counterpart, in that it goes off on any attack, including autoattacks. My melee literally never run out of AP with innervate down, they can spam whatever abilities they feel like 100% of the time and never run out. The advantage just can't be overstated.

The advantage of the RP one is that is also procs off of healing.

A-Puck on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, the rune priest one is just horribly overpowered, in comparison. It procs off of all ability activations, not just offensive ones.

WTB :*(

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, any Rune Priest going Path of Grimnir? I really like the sound of this tree. But the tooltip and even on WarDB the information for Master Rune of Adamant doesn't show up. Is the skill itself bugged or is it just the tooltip and when you get it, it shows the information correctly or at least reactions correctly?
    Just the tooltips. I don't know whether it shows the correct info when you buy it, as I've never picked it up myself, but I've seen an RP in the mid twenties drop it down and have it do 115 healing every three seconds, so the skill itself isn't bugged.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I just started a Warrior Priest. Am I going to be frustrated, or is it pretty fun?

Doc on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    I just started a Warrior Priest. Am I going to be frustrated, or is it pretty fun?

Warrior Priests kick a lot of ass until tier 3, when they become somewhat mediocre.

Haven't seen any in tier 4 yet to comment.

Morkath on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, my warrior priest has started to seriously decline now that I've hit Tier 3. It's a little frustrating, actually, becuase as a stacked willpower salvation spec priest, I always get outhealed and outdamaged by the pure healing classes. I feel like our healing ability is just not nearly as potent as that of other classes even when specced into it.

I've heard that willpower doesn't affect HoTs? If that's the case, I might just spec into Grace and go for a buffer.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Yeah, my warrior priest has started to seriously decline now that I've hit Tier 3. It's a little frustrating, actually, becuase as a stacked willpower salvation spec priest, I always get outhealed and outdamaged by the pure healing classes. I feel like our healing ability is just not nearly as potent as that of other classes even when specced into it.

I've heard that willpower doesn't affect HoTs? If that's the case, I might just spec into Grace and go for a buffer.

It does effect HoTs. Just not so much that you would really notice.

A-Puck on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    when I played a DoK in beta I didn't really heal that much

I was specced so I healed my team whenever I stabbed an enemy, so I usually had a tank guard me and then me and at least 3-4 other meleers in the same group would go together to break enemy lines completely. It was awesome

I don't know if that is still viable though

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg