As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Healer Archetypes: You are a hat.

• DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX_vAMQieBU

i dont know what the grunting is from in the background, that's not part of the shaman sound effect. (although the waaaaaaggggggggghhllglglglhglhgl is)

Unknown User on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Hedwirez wrote: »
    To anyone who doesnt have it bound I would advise you to put "target next friendly" on a handy key. It has more than doubled my healing output without any effort and has turned me into an unstoppable zerg creating machine.

We were just discussing this. I need to do this when I get home.

I also recommend the ISMoCasts addon from Curse. It lets you target by mouse over. Basically, if I roll my mouse over a group nameplate, I can press a heal key and it will cast on the person I moused over, not my friendly target. This allows me to keep my friendly target on a tank, while still passing around spot heals very easily.

e: Direct link: http://war.curse.com/downloads/details/13668/

I was going to ask about this. I wasn't sure how much was possible through keybindings/standard UI, but I find mouseovers pretty mandatory for efficient healing in WoW, so the thought of click healing in WAR kinda had me worried. But hey I guess the community always provides...

riz on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    I don't have enough o_O available to comment that.

Echo on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Hedwirez wrote: »
    To anyone who doesnt have it bound I would advise you to put "target next friendly" on a handy key. It has more than doubled my healing output without any effort and has turned me into an unstoppable zerg creating machine.

We were just discussing this. I need to do this when I get home.

I also recommend the ISMoCasts addon from Curse. It lets you target by mouse over. Basically, if I roll my mouse over a group nameplate, I can press a heal key and it will cast on the person I moused over, not my friendly target. This allows me to keep my friendly target on a tank, while still passing around spot heals very easily.

e: Direct link: http://war.curse.com/downloads/details/13668/

I was going to ask about this. I wasn't sure how much was possible through keybindings/standard UI, but I find mouseovers pretty mandatory for efficient healing in WoW, so the thought of click healing in WAR kinda had me worried. But hey I guess the community always provides...

Well, one issue with WAR is that you can't cast spells from addons, so there won't likely be any really advanced mods like Grid for healing, but ISMoCasts basically handles your mouse over stuff, and I am working on a mod called CM_AutoSelf that lets you do the modifier key self-casting stuff from WoW, without needing to change your friendly target. In six months or so, people will have really figured out the addon system and you'll start seeing some pretty advanced mods.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited September 2008
    I don't really cast spells from Grid, it's just a really complicated revision of the default raid/unit frames, which I mouseover to target and then press keyboard keys to use a spell on that target. That's what the addon you linked does, no? AFAIK Grid never casts anything for anyone, it's just display information that people use to click targets/mouseover/use Clique/whatever.

riz on
    edited September 2008
    I don't really cast spells from Grid, it's just a really complicated revision of the default raid/unit frames, which I mouseover to target and then press keyboard keys to use a spell on that target. That's what the addon you linked does, no? AFAIK Grid never casts anything for anyone, it's just display information that people use to click targets/mouseover/use Clique/whatever.

Maybe it was Clique I was thinking of then. Yes, that's what the mod I linked does. In fact, maybe Grid is codable in the current UI system, but I don't think Clique would be.

Basically, there is no CastSpell function in the WAR API like there is in WoW. This means no Descursive style mods. Though, you could make a mod that lists every group member with an effect you are able to dispel, and then allow mouse ever casting from that list. But no "just press this buttan to remove any bad effects from anyone within range. Press buttan" type stuff.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited September 2008
    Grid was awesome because it freed up so much of my UI.
    iloveui.jpg

Unknown User on
    edited September 2008
    Maybe it was Clique I was thinking of then. Yes, that's what the mod I linked does. In fact, maybe Grid is codable in the current UI system, but I don't think Clique would be.

Basically, there is no CastSpell function in the WAR API like there is in WoW. This means no Descursive style mods. Though, you could make a mod that lists every group member with an effect you are able to dispel, and then allow mouse ever casting from that list. But no "just press this buttan to remove any bad effects from anyone within range. Press buttan" type stuff.

Yeah, Grid is really customizable so maybe people have further tricks, but that's basically what I consider required for efficient healing. Decursive has been dead in WoW for a long time in its former automated incarnation, but some people still use the new version, which seems to do what Grid can already do, and what you described... Unit gets a debuff, unit frame gains icon/color to signify debuff, you mouseover unit frame, hit button bound to spell that removes debuff. Anyway my point is, mouseovers, yay!

God Decursive was dumb.

Also this day is taking too long, I want to go home and create characters!

riz on
    edited September 2008
    As I've said in the past, Decursive was only dumb because Blizzard put in a raiding mechanic that required it. Obviously for PvP it was sillyness and needed nerfed, but for PvE it was only ever needed because Blizzard had a hard on for mass dispel fights. They changed that in TBC, and mass dispel fights are not nearly as prevalent (though Blizzard's new hard on is for enrage timers). I to this day say I love Decursive, because it exposed a terrible PvE game mechanic in WoW's raid game.

GnomeTank on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What the heck is Grid?

KiTA on
    edited September 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    What the heck is Grid?

Took a look at the screen shot in robothero's spoiler tags. Look at the bottom left of his screen. See the multi colored grid with peoples names? That's Grid. It's a space saving technique that allows healers to have a very compact area to select people for healing. It's a YARF (Yet another raid frame).

GnomeTank on
  • SifakaSifaka Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What would be very useful would be a Grid user frame that would change color if the person was in your spell casting arch. I am resorting to alt-tabing for healing targets in RvR as people go and run out of LOS when getting hurt...

Sifaka on
    edited September 2008
    Was just looking over the RP mastery trees, and I am really torn with going for Valaya's Shield or Rune of Ending. Both are pretty ridiculous, but I am not sure which I like more. Rune of Ending is probably better if I choose to be more offensive, while Valaya's Shield is probably better if I plan to be more defensive.

GnomeTank on
  • RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also this day is taking too long, I want to go home and create characters!

Red Eye Mountain, Destruction, imo. I'll even let you have DrGirlfriend or TheMonarch as a ransom price.

(JonesClone is still mine though)

Ryokaze on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sifaka wrote: »
    What would be very useful would be a Grid user frame that would change color if the person was in your spell casting arch. I am resorting to alt-tabing for healing targets in RvR as people go and run out of LOS when getting hurt...

Yes, a range indicator would be excellent, especially for scenarios, which can get pretty unorganized, even with a guild group (that is, you never know where the hell the other group is going). Trying to take care of people across the map gets frustrating.

Vi Monks on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    healing is easypie

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Woo, just got the highest healing done in my latest T1 RVR match (gates of whatnot). Nothing spectacular, only 9.7k, but I was keeping our Boyz up the whole match. Only one that outhealed me was some order Archmage who had 0 damage for the fight.

KiTA on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Sifaka wrote: »

Yes, a range indicator would be excellent, especially for scenarios, which can get pretty unorganized, even with a guild group (that is, you never know where the hell the other group is going). Trying to take care of people across the map gets frustrating.

Something like WoW or GW would be most helpful here. I have this problem ALL THE TIME.

*click click* "HellDeath420 is too far away to target."
    *accidentally casts damage shield on self*

"...God dangit."

Rend on
    edited September 2008
    I have to say, Rune Priests get retarded on the healing meter once we have Rune of Restoration, Rune of Mending and can regularly use our Morale heal. I ended a Gates last night with 35.5k healing, at R10.

GnomeTank on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah okay the lack of range indicators in the party frames is really a pain in the ass. I ended up binding target-next-friendly to an extra mouse button and just trying to manage that way. Maybe I should put the healer aside until the addons catch up, heh.

riz on
    edited September 2008
    I dunno, I've gotten good at clicking peoples health bars on the screen as required :P It's not perfect, but until I think of some better ways to do things, it works. It's the method I used to get 35k healing in GoE :P

GnomeTank on
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just started a DoK and thinking she might be my main. What are peoples thoughts on Mastery points?

I am currently leaning towards dark rites or torture. Dark rites looks like it would have some useful helpers for healing and rend soul. Torture would let me keep everyone crippled so I can consistently get snares...

Also, are there other classes that cripple? I hate having a condition on whether I can snare or not.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    risumon wrote: »
    Just started a DoK and thinking she might be my main. What are peoples thoughts on Mastery points?

I am currently leaning towards dark rites or torture. Dark rites looks like it would have some useful helpers for healing and rend soul. Torture would let me keep everyone crippled so I can consistently get snares...

Also, are there other classes that cripple? I hate having a condition on whether I can snare or not.

I'm approaching R13 on my DoK and I still don't know what I'm gonna spec. That mastery point is just sitting there, mocking me.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited September 2008
    real DoKtors spec sacrifice.

Unknown User on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I use a lot of ctrl-tabbing to target next friendly, which I may bind to middle mouse button I think. To heal party members I use the function keys. A color-coded (for class and range) grid would be great though, as would mouseover healing.

One cool thing about the slower pace of pvp is that you can deal with less convenient hotkeys without gimping yourself. Generally players don't need that heal NOWNOWNOW as often. (this may change, though, as pvpers in general get better at mass targeting one guy)

Yougottawanna on
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There's a mouseover mod on Curse.

Can you make the HP bars under people's names (as in, not in the unit frames) larger using the in-game UI tools, or is that mod territory?

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited September 2008
    Dear morons:

I heal. You don't. Don't jump off the cliff after me and act surprised when I'm at full HP and dotting the shit out of your dumb asses.

On second though, please do, it brings joy to my face.

-Daija

KiTA on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dear morons:

I heal. You tank. So don't stand behind me, get the fuck in there.

-INNS

Because jesus

It is terribly common I've seen to do the greenskins/dorfs t1 scenario and discover that none of the orcs are willing to actually get into melee with the dwarves.

Usually they just stand around and watch the Order guys cap the midpoint unless I yell at them to go down there.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2008
    This is not an issue on Averheim, where all 10 Blork's in a 12 man scenario are more than happy to come right at me every time they see me.

GnomeTank on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, and if you yell at them, then you get a rep for being "mean" or "bossy" or somesuch shit.

Seriously, I think Chaos is full of WOW PVPers or something. They cap a point then SIT THERE while the other team caps the other 2 points... then act all DUMBFOUNDED when the other team comes over and ganks us.

It's to the point that I don't go over to the EvC T1RVR anymore. Too many idiots.

Oh, and this:

Dear Morons:

Hi. How are you? I hope you are well.

You are aware you're playing a ranged DPS class, like a Magus, or a Witch elf, right? You know that means if you rush into a group of about 15 Order newbies, even as stupid as they are, they're going to gank you, right?

You are aware that I'm not going to be healing you at this time, instead I will be running away as fast as I can to go find the tanks -- they're off camping behind the first objected we captured about 5 minutes ago.

I hear they're making smores! Yum!

-Daija

KiTA on
    edited September 2008
    This is not an issue on Averheim, where all 10 Blork's in a 12 man scenario are more than happy to come right at me every time they see me.

I'm sure if I was playing a Blork my opinion would be "Hey Shammies. You know you can heal too, right?" Hopefully it gets better the higher up we go. :)

I can see where some of the complaints about PVE is. PQs are fun but it's hard as piss to get people to do them. This game does NOT have an active community yet -- no one talks in the in-game chats, ever (save guild chats). And running around trying to figure out where the PVE stuff is is... annoying.

KiTA on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The most annoying thing about healers? Currently healers make up about half of the population of every Tier 2 scenario I've been in. But only for Order. Destro is lucky if we even get two healers, let alone two healers who get above 4k healing.

Last scenario, eight healers in Mourkain for Order, two shaman for Destro. Destruction does 166k damage, and kills 6. Order does 130k damage, and kills 30.

I do enjoy healing on my Zealot though. So much better when not in a guild group to know you can count on heal.

Oats on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bah, trying to create a DoK build. Someone tell me if this sucks. Both Khaine's Vigor and the Empowered Transfer tactic sound REALLY good, so the build is a heal/utility hybrid. 12 Dark Rites/13 Sacrifice

Build here.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • RabidTreeMonkeyRabidTreeMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dear Morons...

You are aware you're playing a ranged DPS class, like a Magus, or a Witch elf, right?

Yes, there will always be bad players and good players for us to hate/love, but the game is brand stinking new, and most people didn't play beta. It's probably gonna take people more than a week or even 10 to learn about the game (including you).

From a /rant perspective tho, I feel your pain. Maybe learn all the emotes to pass the downtime when the allies are out to lunch? WAAAGH!

RabidTreeMonkey on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I switched my main from Blork to Zealot at the last minute. I have to say I am not regretting my decision - both in ranking as well as RvR so far.

Anyone have any general impressions of the Zealot trees? I'm leaning towards the over time specialty, though for RvR I am thinking the AoE tree will be too useful to pass up.

UnknownSaint on
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    robothero wrote: »

Any specific reasons? I haven't used the hit to heal everyone moves, but they look kind of weak. I mean most of the time it will prolly be assist train anyways and the channeled hits seem better for that.

Iono, sacrifice just seemed like the weakest of the three to me.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I will stay with Torture until I get Curse of Khaine. Then I might spread out into another tree.

aunsoph on
  • NismoGrendelNismoGrendel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What stats do you guys look for mostly in gear? I have been taking items with willpower/wounds, but I'm thinking of wearing some gear with more toughness on it.

I got a blue staff that had like 30 toughness on it, when I put it on, it boosted my dps reduction by about 6 dps. I had to lose a lot of willpower for it though.

Think its a good trade off?

NismoGrendel on
    edited September 2008
    risumon wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »

Any specific reasons? I haven't used the hit to heal everyone moves, but they look kind of weak. I mean most of the time it will prolly be assist train anyways and the channeled hits seem better for that.

Iono, sacrifice just seemed like the weakest of the three to me.

wait till level 40 when you can tank half a dozen champion mobs without losing health

Unknown User on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am having a blast as my wee shaman. I get lost a lot though since I missed all the betas. And by lost I mean exploring so I am only lvl 7/ rr 4? I think. I did some scenerios and I love having a healing target and a dps target at the same time. But is it so hard for those big, tough, shield carrying black orks to stand in the way of the army order coming after my poor healing goobos self? I swear they all just step aside when I am healing them for that swordmaster or ironbreaker to come and smash my poor head in.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png