As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Healer Archetypes: You are a hat.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, I will, but I don't think I have it yet. Last skill I purchased was a chanelled damaging spell, I believe. Haven't even tried it yet.

My current repetoir has been DD cast, DoT, Heal + HoT, and HoT.

But I'm just scraping the surface of what the class can do, hopefully I'll get into T2 this weekend or earlier, maybe tag along for a keep siege if one happens to be going on (and the guild hasn't already outlevelled that tier entirely. Juggling two MMO's for now, including dedicated high end raiding in one, is not going to be easy).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well I tried an Archmage last night, because I'm not sure that I'll ever want to play a goblin(though High Elf Archmages don't look so great), and I was a little disappointed in the relatively small boost of effectiveness to damage and healing spells from a fully stacked force/tranquility. I see the cast time reduction as being much better, except a full stack will keep your spell from having a cast time, but you can't cast it on the run, and all the lag and animation issues currently reduce the effectiveness of that.

I don't know if any of these issues change with mastery points though.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Oh, I will, but I don't think I have it yet. Last skill I purchased was a chanelled damaging spell, I believe. Haven't even tried it yet.

My current repetoir has been DD cast, DoT, Heal + HoT, and HoT.

But I'm just scraping the surface of what the class can do, hopefully I'll get into T2 this weekend or earlier, maybe tag along for a keep siege if one happens to be going on (and the guild hasn't already outlevelled that tier entirely. Juggling two MMO's for now, including dedicated high end raiding in one, is not going to be easy).

One thing worthy of note, that channeled spell you picked up? It gets the 25% damage increase from having cast 5 heals earlier, not the cast time reduction. It's a great way to remove something pesky when your team is in no danger of dying.

Oats on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    dont forget to use detaunt. It's funny watching that pesky swordmaster's damage to into single digits.
    One thing I noticed is that Detaunt's 50% and Guard's 50% add together, rather than being multiplied. My Blorc friend usually puts Guard on me, so when I detaunt, all the melee damage I'm taking gets reduced to just 1 point. I was getting beat on by two Witch Hunters and a couple of Order tanks, and in terms of red numbers all I saw was this:

etc.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How quickly do you guys get your moral points in pvp? Does overhealing count?

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    You can't overheal.

Echo on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    As fas as the War Priest/DoK comparisons go, the Dok's "healing tree" really isn't so much a healing tree, and more of a "better healing and secondary action point debuff" tree.

I believe one of their tree's has the most ridiculous stun I have ever seen ever though.

Transporter on
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really need to catch up on sleep before the next time I play.

The act of it? Hmmm these tanks probably had just pixel damage I was healing then =P

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dammit, robo needs to stop posting about shaman. I keep comparing zealots to shaman and I am getting grass is always greener problems going. They seem to heal equally. HoT, heal and hot, big heal, group heal. Shaman shield looks slightly better, more protection, zealot is less with a heal at the end. Zealot has an insta spammable heal. Its really good, but kind of an AP hog and very inefficient to rely on. Should get better with tactics though.

Healing aside, Shaman just seem a lot more utility and helpful to a group. Buffs, debuffs, barbs, damage. They just seem to have more to offer than I do. I am still low level, so what are some of the things to look forward to that will help me stay the course?

Also, who in desto does corp damage? It seems like I have a lot of debuffs for that.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KiithKiith Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm loving my Shaman at the moment. I felt that his healing was a bit crappy at first, but at about level8 you get your first big heal, as well as a morale heal, and now my healing is pretty damn crazy. A good zealot will still beat me on healing done in scenarios, but not by a huge amount. And i can dish out some pretty decent damage too.

Plus, the Shaman /special is the best one in the game :D

Kiith on
    The very existense of flame throwers proves that at sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves "I want to set those people over there on fire, but i'm just not close enough to get the job done."
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    risumon wrote: »
    Dammit, robo needs to stop posting about shaman. I keep comparing zealots to shaman and I am getting grass is always greener problems going. They seem to heal equally. HoT, heal and hot, big heal, group heal. Shaman shield looks slightly better, more protection, zealot is less with a heal at the end. Zealot has an insta spammable heal. Its really good, but kind of an AP hog and very inefficient to rely on. Should get better with tactics though.

Healing aside, Shaman just seem a lot more utility and helpful to a group. Buffs, debuffs, barbs, damage. They just seem to have more to offer than I do. I am still low level, so what are some of the things to look forward to that will help me stay the course?

Also, who in desto does corp damage? It seems like I have a lot of debuffs for that.

The toys get even better when you go up the Green tree. I mean who would want to hit anyone when they have Gork's Bars on them?

Seriously, I was going to go Mork until I saw how amazing the green tree really is.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kiith wrote: »

Plus, the Shaman /special is the best one in the game :D

While it is cool, I am still partial to the /special for the Bright Wizard.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited September 2008
    No no no, people please, listen to me. I am asking for reasons to stay zealot. I like throwing potions at people, REALLY like this, but not sure if this will keep me with the class for 30 more levels. *sigh*

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    No no no, people please, listen to me. I am asking for reasons to stay zealot. I like throwing potions at people, REALLY like this, but not sure if this will keep me with the class for 30 more levels. *sigh*

Look at some of the mastery options or higher level spells. The AoE five second silence and DoT (second tree). The AoE channeled knockback (third tree). The self-res buff (core).

Plus we get a stupid amount of choice in buffs.

Oats on
  • FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Have you looked at all of their respective class abilities and/or mastery trees? I think the zealot has some nice stuff.

Mark of Remaking
    25 Action Points 100 ft range
    Instant cast 10m cooldown
    The groupmember bearing this Mark can resurrect themselves if killed in the next 10 minutes. In addition, the bearer's Toughness is increased by 107 for 1 hour.
    A player may only bear a single Mark at a time.

Granted it's a 10min cooldown but that ability seems really awesome.

Edit - that said, why not just make a Shaman and try it out?

Fryhole on
  • intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    group innervate? soulstone ability? yes please.

I like that I can turn into a self healing, aoe farming mage at will, but thats just me. This kicks ass in PQ's.

intelnavi on
    edited September 2008
    Heh, yah I have been looking at the trees, its just hard to realize what is going to be essential end game.

I just need to get to some higher levels and get a better feel for the class. I guess I really just wanted some high level zealots to share some pwnage stories.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I've kinda slacked off leveling in release so i don't have much on the higher levels. I was a huge fan in beta however. Alas I've been spending more time with the gf than usual and just playing casual so i'm not sure what it seems like later, but I'm having the time of my life now. I mainhealed in wow (holy priest) forever thru both endgames and playing a zealot is a revolution of fun. You have to be aware that you are squishy ofc, but i think its epic I can run up to a group and change the course of battle. I love always doing something, not just waiting to play the whack-a-mole game. I'm running around throwing hots, instants, etc while hotting the entire group, i can disrupt the enemy melee with collision detection or sit back capturing an objective and snipe heal. A few of us in tsm were pvping in t1 last night and our first game we ended up never dying and eventually spawn camping and holding the objectives, just slaughtering their entire group. Great fun.

intelnavi on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    only complaints I have about the zealot is in PvE. It's not rather fun. Oh and it's ugly. All spells look like shit.

However, the class shines like a beacon of good times in PvP

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I have been using the mods Squared and Hovercast mentioned earlier in this thread

Often I will notice (after trying to use a spell on a target who is out of range) that Hovercast will stop trying to select the target I've got my cursor over until I manually target someone (or manually detarget something.)

What gives?

INeedNoSalt on
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am having a shit ton of fun with my Shammy. The Mork and Gork mechanic is really nice, I don't think it can be done any better.

Oh and I leveled from 8 - 9 almost entirely in IC, how cool is that?

wusoldjr on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zealot and Shaman both seem really awesome, I don't think you go wrong going either. I knew absolutely nothing about the classes when I started my shaman, I just always roll as one and run with it. I'm glad it's fun and kickass.

I can't wait to get some key shammy abilities. :)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I have Squared, but the settings page in the addon download that lists all the commands is down, and I want to resize and move the freaking squares but I can't seem to find any command that works. Anyone care to help?

UnknownSaint on
    edited September 2008
    How come Archmage spells show that they build force and receive benefits from Tranquility, but Shaman abilities only use up Mork or Gork Waaagh? How does it build up, if not by casting those spells?

Septus on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    How come Archmage spells show that they build force and receive benefits from Tranquility, but Shaman abilities only use up Mork or Gork Waaagh? How does it build up, if not by casting those spells?

I...what? It works exactly like the archmage. Damage spells benefit healing, and vice versa.

BlueDestiny on
    edited September 2008
    What I mean is:
    Shaman Skill

Archmage Skill

I guess maybe it was just left off the shaman abilities, but the Archmage ones address both the healing and the damage resource, the Shaman skills only address one.

Septus on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    What I mean is:
    Shaman Skill

Archmage Skill

I guess maybe it was just left off the shaman abilities, but the Archmage ones address both the healing and the damage resource, the Shaman skills only address one.

Oh, I see what you mean. It's most likely a typo, since both WarDB and the actual game have several of them in the tooltips.

BlueDestiny on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I have Squared, but the settings page in the addon download that lists all the commands is down, and I want to resize and move the freaking squares but I can't seem to find any command that works. Anyone care to help?

You can just go into the UI modifier thing in-game and move them. (It's on the menu you press escape.)

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2008
    About Zealot soloing in PvE: DoT up five or so guys, cast your HoT on yourself, shield yourself and then go to town with your AoE spell.

Oats on
  • BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A warning about Emonitor, the auto-select-the-most-injured-party-member mod - it may have been bad interaction with another mod, but when I had it active it was just constantly selecting me, even as my teammates died around me, and doing such so often that I couldn't actually heal them manually.

Deleted instantly.

Bitstream on
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I tried using squared for a while and found it far too intrusive, and with the bars simply getting smaller instead of changing color my response time was a bit slow. I found the boxes to be way too big, and conveyed very little information aside from strictly health.

I switched to HealGrid, which I find conveys information much more easily and also takes up less space. It also comes with hovercast built in.

I'm just saying, anyone healing should give it a shot instead of Squared. It even comes with a kickass little personal healgrid that has your health in one bar, your action points underneath, your target and its health, as well as your defensive target.

Using Healgrid and WSCT set to the split profile and I barely ever have to look away from my own toon, and can understand my situation mostly based on peripheral vision. Mind you, I also play a DoK, so situational awareness is far more important as I'm generally right in the fray.

fsmith1 on
    edited September 2008
    Squared works, but I'm gonna give HealGrid a whirl tonight and see which I like best.

I will get back to you all with my opinion, because my opinion is superior to all others. :winky:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited September 2008
    Squared Var page is working for me.

And I found hovercast to be buggy too, so I just disabled it for now. Sorry I am no help, but i like clicking anyways.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    So yeah, HealGrid > Squared.

It seems to be smoother and more reliable, let's me configure the layout based on the group type, and it has some extras that Squared doesn't have. The strip for yourself is nice, keeps your own health box in one spot always and shows you your target, their target, etc. as well as Action Points and Morale bars discreetly underneath those.

:^: :^:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • ewichernewichern Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bitstream wrote: »
    A warning about Emonitor, the auto-select-the-most-injured-party-member mod - it may have been bad interaction with another mod, but when I had it active it was just constantly selecting me, even as my teammates died around me, and doing such so often that I couldn't actually heal them manually.

Deleted instantly.

Did you "/emsetfriendlyability(Name of your heal here)"

Without a spell set to check range/LOS, the mod won't do anything but target your own character. You also have to change it for different healers if you're playing around/testing with more than one healing class.

Emonitor + Squared/Healgrid + Hovercast means I always have the target with the lowest HP as my defensive target but can still cast on anyone in the Scenario/Warband.

I've gone back and forth between Squared and Healgrid several times, especially since frequent revisions and an early development cycle have meant lots of changes and lots of new features in a relatively short period of time. I was liking Squared because I felt like it was more "single purpose", i.e. I'm already using a separate unitframe mod (Clean UF) and a separate hovercast mod (Hovercast), so I didn't need those features duplicated in my "raid" frames. I'm now leaning back towards Healgrid because it includes range checking. Nothing more frustrating than trying to heal dying people and getting "out of range" messages. If it works adequately, I might even ditch Emonitor for anyone leaning "healbot".

E-monitor is fucking priceless for a DoK though. Trying to build soul essence in melee range without getting gibbed by the opposing teams RDPS, AND selecting suitable healing targets? It's a little much for me. I could just be bad, and I'm sure Mythic will break E-monitor sooner or later, but god is it nice for the two melee healers. I can top healing charts with E-monitor handing most of my defensive target selection.

ewichern on
  • BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ewichern wrote: »
    Bitstream wrote: »

Deleted instantly.

Did you "/emsetfriendlyability(Name of your heal here)"

Without a spell set to check range/LOS, the mod won't do anything but target your own character. You also have to change it for different healers if you're playing around/testing with more than one healing class.

Emonitor + Squared/Healgrid + Hovercast means I always have the target with the lowest HP as my defensive target but can still cast on anyone in the Scenario/Warband.

I've gone back and forth between Squared and Healgrid several times, especially since frequent revisions and an early development cycle have meant lots of changes and lots of new features in a relatively short period of time. I was liking Squared because I felt like it was more "single purpose", i.e. I'm already using a separate unitframe mod (Clean UF) and a separate hovercast mod (Hovercast), so I didn't need those features duplicated in my "raid" frames. I'm now leaning back towards Healgrid because it includes range checking. Nothing more frustrating than trying to heal dying people and getting "out of range" messages. If it works adequately, I might even ditch Emonitor for anyone leaning "healbot".

E-monitor is fucking priceless for a DoK though. Trying to build soul essence in melee range without getting gibbed by the opposing teams RDPS, AND selecting suitable healing targets? It's a little much for me. I could just be bad, and I'm sure Mythic will break E-monitor sooner or later, but god is it nice for the two melee healers. I can top healing charts with E-monitor handing most of my defensive target selection.

Ahaha, I fail at reading!

Bitstream on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I rerolled as a warrior priest and finally got to a decent level, 9. My effectiveness is pretty much entirely tied to how well the team is doing, since I don't have time to melee if we're getting steamrolled. When we have the initiative, though, its pretty sick, I pop hots on everyone and smack squishies.

I looked over the trees and salvation seems to be the melee buffing tree, where you attack enemies and put up defensive shields and whatnot. Some higher level people in game have suggested this or the healing tree, but I didn't roll warrior priest just to heal. :P

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, I just finished up t1 tonight and I was top 5 in healing, damage or both every single match. My best was one where I had 21k dmg, 15k healing, number 1 xp and number 3 kill blows.

<3 DoK

Also, managing targets as a DoK isn't so hard once you've got HealGrid setup. The only thing you really need to be aware of is whether you're more focused on healing or damage at the moment. Set your team's healthbars so they only show up when hurt, and keep an eye on any green bars popping up on your screen in melee range. Have a key bound for closest AND next friendly targets (I use Q and E) and within two clicks you should have selected the one that's hurting. Throw a restore essence and a HOT on the damaged person, keep him as your defensive target if he's still getting whacked and start DPSing whoever is attacking him. Keep your eyes on your HealGrid as you DPS and if you see someone else starting to get attacked, try clicking them, if in range, rinse and repeat. If out of range, select whoever in melee range is getting attacked and start up the chain again.

fsmith1 on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    I'm depressed to hear that Eeeek! has changed from when I used it back a year ago at game's day. Especially since the Archmage gets a damn snare attached to theirs.

Nonetheless, running around debuffing people is great. I don't do a ton of healing, and I don't beat the other healers in damage by a lot, but reducing a caster's intelligence by a quarter or so is great.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited September 2008
    Oats wrote: »
    About Zealot soloing in PvE: DoT up five or so guys, cast your HoT on yourself, shield yourself and then go to town with your AoE spell.

THIS. Also the use ability from one of your buffs is an AOE dot so spice as needed. A healer who can AOE farm? Madness! The only trouble I have is elites, they hurts. I can probably tank it but killing it is another matter.

intelnavi on