As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Thread for Bitching About the American Politics Thread

ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is the thread for bitching about the election thread. If you'd like to actually discuss the election, use this thread over here.

So I'm clear about the purpose of this thread:
Thanatos wrote: »
So Thanatos is this also the thread for any Politics thread or individual poster meta-talk (not just negative) since the post I was responding to was about how great D&D and the thread was compared to Karl Rove and myself?
This is also the thread for the conservative/Liberterian/whatever posters to get their sloppy "oh, I'm so glad you're here" blowjobs too, yes. As well as for them to bitch about how mean everybody else is to them. And the thread for everybody else to be mean to them.

Basically, I want all the stupid bullshit from the election thread that has nothing to do with the election in here, and the stuff that actually has to do with the election in the election thread.

And just so that you can't say I took the last word, and didn't give you a chance to respond, Deacon:
Thanatos wrote: »
Thanatos wrote: »
Are you ever going to post anything substantive about the actual election, Deacon? Or do I need to start splitting off another thread about whether or not the AmPol thread is an Obama circlejerk? Because, really, I just want to talk about the election, and I really don't give a shit.
First, it's simply not true that I "never" make substantive posts. I realize it makes you feel better to paint me that way, but again... not true.

Second, people are allowed to single me out, but I'm not allowed to respond? No.

Third, maybe you should split off a thread named "olo Deacon is Alan Keyes aren't I clever" because it seems like the election isn't really all you want to talk about here.
Re: your first point: you truncated the portion of my post where I said "three out of four times." I suspect you did that to make it seem more like I was saying you never say anything substantive.

Second, if you didn't respond to them, they'd stop doing it.

Third, I haven't made the "Deacon is Alan Keyes" joke outside of the whining forum since mid-June. I think it's about time you let it go. To quote a man who's kind of a big deal, "people have gotten over rape faster."

Thanatos on
«1345

Posts

  • DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    Deacon, if you had even managed a serious attempt to rationally defend your candidate or engage in something other than point-scoring in the past couple weeks, I'd be more sympathetic. But every post I've seen you make has been either a meta-argument like this or a two-wrongs-make-a-right, "look Obama is a hypocrite too" post.

    You're wrong.

    DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Can those of us that were talking about politics possibly have the politics thread back though?

    Quid on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I like the idea of a thread for calling people names and such, but the D&D politics thread tended to be pretty informative, so yeah, a regular thread would be neat too. *edit* ooh, beat'd.

    PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Can those of us that were talking about politics possibly have the politics thread back though?
    I'm sorry I can't create two threads simultaneously. Especially when I'm linking one in the OP of the other.

    Thanatos on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Can those of us that were talking about politics possibly have the politics thread back though?
    I'm sorry I can't create two threads simultaneously. Especially when I'm linking one in the OP of the other.
    Well you should fucking try harder thank you.

    Quid on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    Deacon, if you had even managed a serious attempt to rationally defend your candidate or engage in something other than point-scoring in the past couple weeks, I'd be more sympathetic. But every post I've seen you make has been either a meta-argument like this or a two-wrongs-make-a-right, "look Obama is a hypocrite too" post.

    You're wrong.
    First one is pretty half-assed (you support McCain because you don't want a Dem prez and congress to change "too much"), the second one is just concern-trolling.

    Personally, I'd like to hear why you support a candidate who has repeatedly lied through his teeth to the American people. Does the way McCain is campaigning give you any sort of pause, Deacon?

    Qingu on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    While those aren't point scoring they aren't anything about McCain.

    Personally that's what I find annoying about your posting lately. I'd much rather hear about McCain's positives from you so I can understand what the hell the right is thinking.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, what, this is like a Deacon v. Than flame thread or something?

    I'll take Deacon's side. You guys are all lame bitches and never make any crispy poasts.

    Yar on
  • DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    So Thanatos is this also the thread for any Politics thread or individual poster meta-talk (not just negative) since the post I was responding to was about how great D&D and the thread was compared to Karl Rove and myself?

    DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Repostin':
    Flippy_D wrote:
    But Deacon you are so absolutely hipocritical.

    I remember once you said "hey don't hold me to higher standards than this thread, fuck that".

    We don't hold you to higher standards. You keep yourself to low standards.

    You consistently pick up on the stupid and the belligerent. Yeah, okay. Fine. They deserve to be flagged. The first example you give, for instance, I can remember that and I thought it was disgraceful.

    But I'm pretty sure anyone here could explain, if asked to, why they are voting democrat, and why they are not voting republican. And many have. On many issues.

    What makes you a hipocrite, Deacon, is that you say you don't think you should be held to a higher standard of posting, yet demand it from others. How many times have people responded to your points, in detail, with citations and proof and evidence? And how many times have you either gone for the weakest in the pack or not replied at all? It happens on every single occasion.

    And, hey, here's a talking point for you: pretending that an anti-pedophile bill is 'sex ed for kindergartners' is morally reprehensible.

    So whilst we're talking about self-deception, how about the colossal self-deception you're pulling off by implying that everyone here is hurgle-blurgle blarf and that you'd have be 'posting better' than everyone else, because that is bullshit, or how about your continual willingness to ignore context for the sake of an attack ('Biden plagiarised 30 years ago so that's totally equivalent to xyz') when it's what you purport to hate most.

    As far as I'm concerned, you've shown every sign that the reason you are voting republican this year is because you are willing to cram every oversight, every lie, every incompetence and every unsightly fact under a big white cloth with 'tax break' on it.

    And you know what, fine. But at least just say it. Stop acting like we're asking you to perform a miracle by answering the simple question, posed to you time and time again, which you have never satisfactorily answered:
    Why are you voting for McCain?

    Qingu's follow-up post was also pretty good.
    Qingu wrote:
    This quote only proves your seemingly inexhaustible capacity for self-deception. Specifically, if you think this thread (and in most respects, this board) is anything other than a massive Obama circlejerk, and that I - or Republicans in general, am qualitatively worse than you because of the "R" on my voter registration card, you're absolutely blind. You guys love to dress up your posts and use tenth grade vocabulary words, but underneath, culturally D&D is just as much a black hole of stupid as SE++ - probably just more focused.

    Look at some of the posts that were not only not moderated, but everyone just let go without comment.

    "Palin sucks, I hope someone cuts her tits off"
    "If they start a new cold war I hope someone takes out both McCain and Palin it would serve them right"

    And then you have the everyday stupid: "Haha I bet Palin just learned where Iraq was on the map today." "Oh they probably showed it on her kids placemat olo" ElJeffe actually participating in this tripe, which is sad because that's simply not the image I had of him - he used to seem to expect at least a basic level of actual debate and intellectualism. Anyone new comes in and says anything not party-line and people start spamming the "troll" button. If I ever tried that shit I'd have my ass handed to me, but you guys accept it because it lines up with your political viewpoint. So fine, hold on to that illusion that you're special, smarter, with higher standards of "debate" than the general population while you continue to slide into a barren echo chamber because your touted "standards" only apply based on the underlying party of the poster. But do not for a second consider yourself somehow better than me.

    No.
    Deacon, if you had even managed a serious attempt to rationally defend your candidate or engage in something other than point-scoring in the past couple weeks, I'd be more sympathetic. But every post I've seen you make has been either a meta-argument like this or a two-wrongs-make-a-right, "look Obama is a hypocrite too" post.

    And I don't deny that this board often functions as an echo chamber. And I appreciate the stacked odds you inherently face in any debate. But: (1) many of us actually make a point to hang out on other forums with different worldviews, and (2) your comments and PeekingDuck's comments, on the whole, have simply not been reflective at all. Especially with the latest round of bullshit coming from the Republican campaign.

    The idea that the two viewpoints are "equal" is an assumption I don't share. Just as intelligent design and the theory of evolution don't deserve equal treatment or levels of respect, the arguments and ideas put forth by Democrats and Republicans don't either.

    I think I understand why you are committed to voting Republican (you want more money and you don't like abortion for some reason). And I think you see your purpose on this board as counteracting the Obama circle-jerk. And that's fine. But don't pretend you actually have rational ideas to support your voting decision equal to ours when you don't even attempt to enumerate and defend them on a forum where that's the entire fucking point of discussion.

    Edit: and for the record, I made a thread specifically calling out people for the sexist/stupid Palin bullshit you were talking about.

    For the record I think Qingu is incredibly elitist and disagree with his single-mindedness on religion, despite being an extremely firm atheist myself. So I'm not just humping his leg.

    Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    :(

    When I saw the title I was hoping I could use this thread to smack pessimistic Democrats with my angry stick.

    Can... can I still do that?

    Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    :(

    When I saw the title I was hoping I could use this thread to smack pessimistic Democrats with my angry stick.

    Can... can I still do that?
    Obama is totally going to lose now that Palin is on the other side.
    Go right ahead.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Can I bitch about the "ooh totp" thing that happens on every page. "oh what a horrid totp, I'd better edit in something else". Every. Fucking. Page.

    juice for jesus on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So Thanatos is this also the thread for any Politics thread or individual poster meta-talk (not just negative) since the post I was responding to was about how great D&D and the thread was compared to Karl Rove and myself?
    This is also the thread for the conservative/Liberterian/whatever posters to get their sloppy "oh, I'm so glad you're here" blowjobs too, yes. As well as for them to bitch about how mean everybody else is to them. And the thread for everybody else to be mean to them.

    Basically, I want all the stupid bullshit from the election thread that has nothing to do with the election in here, and the stuff that actually has to do with the election in the election thread.

    Thanatos on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you guys didn't go through a hundred pages of election thread every 36 hours, it might not turn to shit.

    I'm just saying.

    Daedalus on
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    :(

    When I saw the title I was hoping I could use this thread to smack pessimistic Democrats with my angry stick.

    Can... can I still do that?
    Obama is totally going to lose now that Palin is on the other side.
    Go right ahead.

    *whack*

    *whack*

    You see this, Puck!? IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT!?!?

    *whack*

    Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    If you guys didn't go through a hundred pages of election thread every 36 hours, it might not turn to shit.

    I'm just saying.

    I don't see the connection.

    It's a popular and extremely relevant topic, and there's constant new stuff coming out each day in the news, ads, etc.

    Medopine on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Can I bitch about the "ooh totp" thing that happens on every page. "oh what a horrid totp, I'd better edit in something else". Every. Fucking. Page.

    I also hate this

    Medopine on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Can I bitch about the "ooh totp" thing that happens on every page. "oh what a horrid totp, I'd better edit in something else". Every. Fucking. Page.

    I also hate this
    There's not enough hating on this. Whoop dee fucking doo. Top of the page. No one gives a shit.

    Quid on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Can I bitch about the "ooh totp" thing that happens on every page. "oh what a horrid totp, I'd better edit in something else". Every. Fucking. Page.
    I also hate this
    I have hated both this and the "bottom of the page" thing since well before hating those things was popular.

    Thanatos on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    If you guys didn't go through a hundred pages of election thread every 36 hours, it might not turn to shit.

    I'm just saying.

    I don't see the connection.

    It's a popular and extremely relevant topic, and there's constant new stuff coming out each day in the news, ads, etc.

    Also, we need more space to talk about how hot Obama is and how badly we all want to have his babies.

    PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    Can I bitch about the "ooh totp" thing that happens on every page. "oh what a horrid totp, I'd better edit in something else". Every. Fucking. Page.
    I also hate this
    I have hated both this and the "bottom of the page" thing since well before hating those things was popular.

    Such a trendsetter Than.

    PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008
    A lot of are Obama supporters are idiots, none of McCain's supporters are worth a damn, and most of the resulting back-and-forth between the two isn't worth reading.

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Top of the page stuff doesnt bug me, the "repoasting for botp" is silly. Really... if people are only reading half a page at a time, don't help 'em out by reposting your point.

    iTunesIsEvil on
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Awesome totp.

    juice for jesus on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    *giggles at ITIE

    Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hate that D&D only has one election thread. The quality of people and debate is atrocious at xwalk, where I've been hanging out lately, but... I can actually keep up with things there, because they actually have a subforum dedicated to the 2008 election. Here, Jesus, it just moves too goddamn fast.

    Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd like to bitch about the fact that the awesome Photoshoped McCain images I make and post in the American Politics threads don't get nearly enough love.

    You ingrates.

    Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You best darn believe you're punished for not performing full service to the hive.

    Richy: Motorbike, right? POWerwheels? I chuckled, well done. Have some high-quality British humour.

    Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hate that D&D only has one election thread. The quality of people and debate is atrocious at xwalk, where I've been hanging out lately, but... I can actually keep up with things there, because they actually have a subforum dedicated to the 2008 election. Here, Jesus, it just moves too goddamn fast.
    We have two election threads Loren. Or do you consider yourself too good for the Canadian Election Thread?
    :P

    Richy on
    sig.gif
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    You best darn believe you're punished for not performing full service to the hive.

    Richy: Motorbike, right? POWerwheels? I chuckled, well done. Have some high-quality British humour.
    Yeah, that and the Never Surrender, Never Give Up image.

    Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    I hate that D&D only has one election thread. The quality of people and debate is atrocious at xwalk, where I've been hanging out lately, but... I can actually keep up with things there, because they actually have a subforum dedicated to the 2008 election. Here, Jesus, it just moves too goddamn fast.
    We have two election threads Loren. Or do you consider yourself too good for the Canadian Election Thread?
    :P

    We might as well have a Wyoming Politics thread.

    Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hate that D&D only has one election thread. The quality of people and debate is atrocious at xwalk, where I've been hanging out lately, but... I can actually keep up with things there, because they actually have a subforum dedicated to the 2008 election. Here, Jesus, it just moves too goddamn fast.

    This is actually a really good point.

    Hey! Hey Mod people! How about a temporary sub-forum!

    Or, if you don't want to make a new one, can we have TWB? It's not like they're using it for anything.

    Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Actually, a local-only no-national politics thread would be pretty badass. Truth is, and I'm as guilty of this as anyone, national politics make for good show, local politics make for good politics. Participation in most local races tends to be very small, it's an area where a handful of forumers could literally be game-changing.

    PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    A lot of are Obama supporters are idiots, none of McCain's supporters are worth a damn, and most of the resulting back-and-forth between the two isn't worth reading.

    cite please

    DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hate voting for judges. How the fuck am I supposed to know who these people are or if they are qualified?

    juice for jesus on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Actually, a local-only no-national politics thread would be pretty badass. Truth is, and I'm as guilty of this as anyone, national politics make for good show, local politics make for good politics. Participation in most local races tends to be very small, it's an area where a handful of forumers could literally be game-changing.
    There are at least 5 of us in the 43rd LD.

    Though, the 43rd LD is huge, so I don't think 5 of us would make much of a difference.

    Thanatos on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hate voting for judges. How the fuck am I supposed to know who these people are or if they are qualified?

    In the Chicago area it's much easier. Each ethnicity gets a courthouse, and your vote doesn't matter at all.

    Picardathon on
  • PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    If you guys didn't go through a hundred pages of election thread every 36 hours, it might not turn to shit.

    I'm just saying.

    That's what happens when you have a chat thread instead of a debate thread.

    PeekingDuck on
This discussion has been closed.