As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Longboard for commuting around campus?

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have always wanted to longboard but confused on what board would be best for me. I just want one to have a nice and smooth comunte to work and class about 2 miles. I am 6'1, 200 pounds and I thought the bigger the board the better for my size but maybe I am wrong?

These are the two boards I am looking at..

Envy

http://www.discountlongboards.com/browse.php?mfr=32&title=Envy

And KS

http://www.krackedskulls.com/?pg=ksprod

On the KS I can pick the length and everything else not sure what I should pick.

SEGA
p561852.jpg
EliteLamer on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Im in Fl gville to give an idea of how flat it is here.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Honestly people are probably going to throw things at you if you attempt to skateboard around a college campus

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Honestly people are probably going to throw things at you if you attempt to skateboard around a college campus

Why, I see them all the time here?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    EliteLamer wrote: »

Ignore him he is both an idiot and completely wrong. My campus has more longboarders than skaters but I skate almost every day on campus. I've never been bothered by anyone including campus police.

I don't know a lot about longboarding but it seems like making transitions would be difficult. What I mean by that is moving from a street to a curb, or going down a stairset. Of course you can just stop and pick your board up, but that rather goes against everything I've learned skating. However with a longboard it seems like you would be less likely to catch rockbite, but I honestly don't know.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Shogun wrote: »

Ignore him he is both an idiot and completely wrong. My campus has more longboarders than skaters but I skate almost every day on campus. I've never been bothered by anyone including campus police.

I don't know a lot about longboarding but it seems like making transitions would be difficult. What I mean by that is moving from a street to a curb, or going down a stairset. Of course you can just stop and pick your board up, but that rather goes against everything I've learned skating. However with a longboard it seems like you would be less likely to catch rockbite, but I honestly don't know.

More for speed not for tricks.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In that case you want larger wheels. Larger wheels also helps prevent rockbite.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

What about Length? 46inch too big for someone 6'1?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

What about Length? 46inch too big for someone 6'1?

Well unfortunately as I said previously I don't know a lot about longboarding. I've only done it a couple times and since I've spent the rest of my skating life on a deck meant for riding/tricks and whatnot I honestly can't tell you. I can say however since we are the same height and almost the same weight that you should also pay attention to the width. The boards I use come in different widths and that can make a difference to the comfort of your feet as well as the rest of your body on said board. It also makes a big difference in your stability which starts at your feet and goes up.

Past that I really can't offer much in the way of technical advice. Get used to bailing, and don't be embarrassed if you have to bail. The way I look at it is would I rather people see me jump off my skateboard because I know for a fact I can't land that 5-stair or would I rather people see me try and get a big mouthful of pavement? You also have to consider your own personal safety of course. I don't have health insurance and cannot afford broken bones so I have to remember to skate within my limits. I'd rather learn slowly with little pain than even slower waiting for bones to mend.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Damn this board ends up being 161.00 shipped. Wish I could just pick up a decent used board somewhere.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg