As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Shammy chat!

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    TheEmerged wrote: »
    Idiot Check: Okay, I figure I must be missing something obvious here. My enhancement shaman is 52, no special gear but not badly geared either; in particular to this problem he doesn't have the PvP trinket.

Trying to kill Vile Priestess Hexx in the Hinterlands as part of the Saving Sharpbeak quest. This mob used to be elite, but is now normal.

Problem is, she still chain-hexxes you (polymorph, except it doesn't break on damage and doesn't heal). The hex is instant (so I can't Earth Shock it), in fact about half the time last night she had me re-hexxed before I could mouse-turn and flame shock her. She destroys any totems I try to put downas soon as I'm hexxed.

Is there a way for a Shaman to break or prevent that Hexx that I'm missing? After giving up last night it occured to me that Grounding Totem might prevent the first one but given what I saw of her AI it's gone the minute a hex sticks. The quest reward is good enough I may have to see if I can talk a friend into helping but I'd prefer to solo it if I can.
    I tried soloing this on my Ret Paladin last night. It was impossible because of the Hex. Yet bringing one other person dropped her in about 3 seconds.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So. Resto Shaman PvP=HARD.

So much shit to do. SO MUCH GODDAMN SHIT. And I have to do it all to be AVERAGE.

Any addon or macro advice?

Transporter on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Grid and mouseover target macros?

Bigity on
  • SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

So much shit to do. SO MUCH GODDAMN SHIT. And I have to do it all to be AVERAGE.

It's really satisfying when it all goes right, though, isn't it? That's why I prefer Shaman over the others. You have to work much harder for the same results, but the extra challenge adds to the fun.

Personally I just use my own NicheTotemTimers, and three 24-button pages of the default UI (although I only frequently use 1-6 and Shift 1-6 on each page) with only one macro, to do all of my healing and toteming. The macro is just a simple "/stopcasting /cast Earth Shock" one, so that if I need to interrupt someone immediately, I don't need to manually stop casting first. I have F1-F4 bound to target party members, and F5 for myself. I manually click Blizzard's raid frames if I need to heal someone outside my party. Since such a vast majority of the effort we have to put forth in PvP deals with precogniscence on the order of 5-10 seconds, I don't think that having mouseover macros to expediate individual cast times would help at all; I mean, by the time you know who you're going to need to target and cast a heal on, they should still be 2-3 seconds from needing you to start casting, thus giving you so much time to cast your spell that you could click to target them and click the spell on your actionbar and still cast in time.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Purge Assist spam:
    (Must be targeting. Useful mainly for when you have a heal target, and are helping them on an FF target.)

/stopcasting
    /assist
    /cast Purge(rank w/e blahblah)
    /targetlasttarget

Good times for purging the crap outta' someone that your teammates are burning down. Relies on the buddy you have targeted to actually have a hostile target though. Best when used in conjunction with someone that's good with sticking to a target.

Focus Macros are also win. A bit of a pain to use, since you have to reset the focus for each Arena Match, but well worth it.

/cast [target=focus] Earth Shock(rank w/e blahblah)
    /cast [target=focus] Purge(rank w/e blahblah)

This macro is murder on Paladin healers.

Mouseover Macros are wonderful

/cast [target=mouseover] Remove Poison/Curse/Cleanse/Dispel/ect (Mind you, this does work if you mouse of the player, and not their Char Frame. However, this does NOT work on your own character, and you would need to mouse over your personal Char Frame to use it.)

That mouseover macro works for just about anything. There's some other macros, like the NS/trinkets/Big Heal, Warstomp/cast macros(Tauren), ect. Basically things that you are comfortable with/can use.

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • nourishnourish Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Elemental shamaning - I feel like I am doing it wrong.

I just switched after playing enhance on my level 59 character.

Spell interrupts are a problem in the battlegrounds - if any melee targets me or sticks a pet on me, I can't cast offensively at all besides to shock. I have 3/3 eye of the storms - but it is rapid regular damage that completely stops the cast bar. Is this normal? I'm used to casting under a bubble as a mage or priest.

I've seen posts about elemental shaman having problem with pushback - is there anything to do about it?

nourish on
    edited May 2008
    Saeris wrote: »

It's really satisfying when it all goes right, though, isn't it? That's why I prefer Shaman over the others. You have to work much harder for the same results, but the extra challenge adds to the fun.

Personally I just use my own NicheTotemTimers, and three 24-button pages of the default UI (although I only frequently use 1-6 and Shift 1-6 on each page) with only one macro, to do all of my healing and toteming. The macro is just a simple "/stopcasting /cast Earth Shock" one, so that if I need to interrupt someone immediately, I don't need to manually stop casting first. I have F1-F4 bound to target party members, and F5 for myself. I manually click Blizzard's raid frames if I need to heal someone outside my party. Since such a vast majority of the effort we have to put forth in PvP deals with precogniscence on the order of 5-10 seconds, I don't think that having mouseover macros to expediate individual cast times would help at all; I mean, by the time you know who you're going to need to target and cast a heal on, they should still be 2-3 seconds from needing you to start casting, thus giving you so much time to cast your spell that you could click to target them and click the spell on your actionbar and still cast in time.

Saeris, does your NicheTotemTimers work like the default totem timer frames in that you can right-click them to destroy specific totems?

Bigity on
  • Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    nourish wrote: »
    Elemental shamaning - I feel like I am doing it wrong.

I just switched after playing enhance on my level 59 character.

Spell interrupts are a problem in the battlegrounds - if any melee targets me or sticks a pet on me, I can't cast offensively at all besides to shock. I have 3/3 eye of the storms - but it is rapid regular damage that completely stops the cast bar. Is this normal? I'm used to casting under a bubble as a mage or priest.

I've seen posts about elemental shaman having problem with pushback - is there anything to do about it?

That's the reason 4-piece is so damn important for elemental shaman, it stops pushback. There's not much you can do aside from not getting attacked.

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bigity wrote: »
    Saeris wrote: »

Saeris, does your NicheTotemTimers work like the default totem timer frames in that you can right-click them to destroy specific totems?

I use his mod, and I can say that yes, it does.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • a Ferreta Ferret 360 Dunk from Half Court Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I haven't even played around with the specific totem destruction since the patch...does it destroy destroy, or totemic call destroy them?

a Ferret on
    Battle.net Polite#1852 | 3DS 2681-0927-8518 | Steam
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So uhh, are they done with the shaman review?

Because if so, I am going to be... minorly cranky.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    a Ferret wrote: »
    I haven't even played around with the specific totem destruction since the patch...does it destroy destroy, or totemic call destroy them?
    Destroy destroy, you don't get any mana back.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited May 2008
    So how strong is the blue mace from AV http://www.wowhead.com/?item=20648. Despite it's speed, which is just shy of awesome, I'm guessing it's the best leveling weapon?

Soviet Waffle on
    edited May 2008
    Speed isn't bad, but the stats are kinda meh. Still, if it's the highest DPS weapon around that speed you can find, I don't see anything wrong with using it.

Bigity on
    edited May 2008
    It's going to be pretty handy at level 51

Soviet Waffle on
  • frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Arkady wrote: »
    So uhh, are they done with the shaman review?

Because if so, I am going to be... minorly cranky.

Enh and resto got buffs, elemental got some minor solo nerfs.
    Word on the street is... wait for wotlk :(

frylocked on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    so on a whim, I returned to my shammy who was level 60 and untouched since pre-bc. specced him enhance for leveling... and am getting the shit kicked out of me. What am I doing so wrong? is it my terrible pre-bc gear? is it my playstyle? my spec? I loved leveling my warlock and druid. Lock? dot, kite/fear, end combat with 100% health and mana still. Druid? easily pick your targets with stealth, pounce on mob, mangle/shred, end combat with 90% health and a hidden 100% mana bar. shaman? get ass kicked by same-level non-elite mob. but at least I can ankh!

here's my dood: http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gorefiend&n=Ensvey

my strategy is to windfury my weaps, lightning shield, set down some totems (mana, grace, strength, searing), go get something's attention, bring it back, stormstrike, wait for that cheap shock talent to proc, earth shock, stormstrike some more if I have the mana, toss in a shamanistic rage somewhere if I need mana... basically most of the time I'm just hoping and praying I get enough windfury procs to kill a mob before it kills me -_- /beg for hints and tips on how 2 p

also, any leet addons for keeping track of when shamanistic focus procs or when you need to re-lightning shield and such?

DiscoZombie on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I haven't leveled a Shaman in a long time, but I remember it completely sucking until 63, at which point I got two nice, slow maces and Watershield. Basically, buy water, pull with lightning bolt, and Shock each time the CD is up if you must. I found waiting for procs could end up killing me.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    so on a whim, I returned to my shammy who was level 60 and untouched since pre-bc. specced him enhance for leveling... and am getting the shit kicked out of me. What am I doing so wrong? is it my terrible pre-bc gear? is it my playstyle? my spec? I loved leveling my warlock and druid. Lock? dot, kite/fear, end combat with 100% health and mana still. Druid? easily pick your targets with stealth, pounce on mob, mangle/shred, end combat with 90% health and a hidden 100% mana bar. shaman? get ass kicked by same-level non-elite mob. but at least I can ankh!

here's my dood: http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gorefiend&n=Ensvey

my strategy is to windfury my weaps, lightning shield, set down some totems (mana, grace, strength, searing), go get something's attention, bring it back, stormstrike, wait for that cheap shock talent to proc, earth shock, stormstrike some more if I have the mana, toss in a shamanistic rage somewhere if I need mana... basically most of the time I'm just hoping and praying I get enough windfury procs to kill a mob before it kills me -_- /beg for hints and tips on how 2 p

also, any leet addons for keeping track of when shamanistic focus procs or when you need to re-lightning shield and such?

your AP is pretty weak, strength and agility gear are way way better than +dmg for enhancement. Your crit is also retardedly low. If you you are leveling enh you basically want flurry to be up constantly

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Looks like you've got too much leftover raiding gear (My 54 Shaman may or may not outgear you in terms of enhancement stats)

Also get Mental Quickness.

Soviet Waffle on
    edited May 2008
    yeah I didn't play this toon much at 60 but I was working toward being a healer, so I have no enh gear to speak of. I would buy some greens off the AH if this toon wasn't stranded on a server far away from my mains who have all the dough =P

DiscoZombie on
    edited May 2008
    hate to bump this thread for more newbie shammy questions but I must stop sucking!

I got this mace in ramps and it's doing OK for me. Is it really important for an enhancement shammy to dual wield or is a good 2hander just as good? and I know this weap is on the fast side for enhancement... but my only other option is a pair of green 2.6 speed 1handers. should I go with the 1handers instead?

what are the benefits of dual wielding vs. 2hander?

DiscoZombie on
    edited May 2008
    hate to bump this thread for more newbie shammy questions but I must stop sucking!

I got this mace in ramps and it's doing OK for me. Is it really important for an enhancement shammy to dual wield or is a good 2hander just as good? and I know this weap is on the fast side for enhancement... but my only other option is a pair of green 2.6 speed 1handers. should I go with the 1handers instead?

Go with the green 2-handers.

Edit: I have a more advanced question of my own. With the new badge vendor coming soon (yes, my server sucks), I need to decide what gear to invest in. I have about 235 badges to my name right now. My main healing gear is in my sig, but I replace the PMC stuff with mail alternatives when damage mitigation and stam are important (this this and this). Right now, my guild is stuck doing Kara and ZA, but I plan to leave for a more progressed T5/T6 raiding guild. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Zython on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The EJ guys make a very convincing statistical argument that, given roughly comparable gear, DW with Windfury beats one 2H every time.

Fairchild on
  • Jason036Jason036 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zython wrote: »

Edit: I have a more advanced question of my own. With the new badge vendor coming soon (yes, my server sucks), I need to decide what gear to invest in. I have about 235 badges to my name right now. My main healing gear is in my sig, but I replace the PMC stuff with mail alternatives when damage mitigation and stam are important (this this and this). Right now, my guild is stuck doing Kara and ZA, but I plan to leave for a more progressed T5/T6 raiding guild. Any and all help will be appreciated.
    I got a good suggestion for you. You need to figure out which badge equipment gives you the most stat upgrades per badge item. What I mean is, which slots will give you the best stat per number of badges. For example. Take the new badge chest piece. Look at the stats on it and just do a simple calculation based on that item and what you are wearing. The badge chest has 14 mp5 and your chest has 11 mp5. So that's 14 - 11 which gives you +3. The intellect calculation will give you +10. Then take the badge cost (100) and divide it by that +total you just did.. That will give you the how many badges it takes to get +1 stat. The idea is to buy the ones that have the lowest numbers first (probably be around 3.2 for you).

I personally assign stat points this way, since some points are more valuable than others:

For every 2 Stamina you get 1 stat point
    For every 1 Intellect you get 1 stat point
    For every socket you get 6 stat points
    For every 1 crit strike rating you get 1 stat point
    For every 10 healing you get 1 stat point
    For every 2 mp5 you get 3 stat points
    Make sure to add the socket bonus into the equations

Looking at your gear and from the calculations I did, the chest piece is a must for you. So that's 100 badges right there. I would get the belt next. Don't waste the badge gear on other than mail items. There aren't mail healing shoulders, only cloth and leather. Keep the shoulders you have and spend it on a back or neck, or ring or something like that. The legs are probably a must for you. They are a must for me simply because the T4 gear looks retarded with the ZA gear (the badge items at the new vendor look exactly like the ZA gear).

Jason036 on
    Jason036
    edited May 2008
    Or you could run the DPS simulator that generates AEP values for the different stats, then use Maxloot or Lootrank to search based on those AEP values, and find which are the biggest upgrades. This customizes the above process to your current gear.

Links below:

http://elitistjerks.com/f47/t20765-shaman_enhancement/ -- Enhance shaman bible

http://theorycraft.narod.ru/ -- AEP Calculator

http://www.lootrank.com/ -- Plug in the values from the AEP calculator (set it to 10,000 or more hours) and search for the biggest upgrades

Bigity on
  • zagizagi Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm leveling a shammy, took skinning/LW as professions - for once I took professions which seem to make sense for my class. I've been thinking to switching to engineering/mining, the helm looks really nice, but I've heard pretty much everything about engineering is crap until you get to 350-375.

The only thing is I'm not really sure which spec I will be by 70 (currently elemental with halfway to go). Is there any benefit to being a LW as a shaman or if I switch to engineering, will it matter?

zagi on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My mage is now in Outland as an Engineer, and along the way I found the grenades and net thrower to be very useful. The Death Ray is neat as a novelty. It looks like the Mote Extractor and Potion Injectors will also come in handy.

Fairchild on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The mote extractor is, by far, the coolest thing I got from engineering other than the goggles.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    The Green Lenses are outstanding if you're a caster. If you can get your hands on the right flavor in your mid-40's, you'll be using it 'til you reach Outland.

Fairchild on
    edited May 2008
    I've read that many of the items that are not very useful for questing become golden in PVP, like the Reflectors and Poultry-izer. The grenades, too, as caster interrupts. I'll be hitting the bg's hard in my upper 60's so we'll find out.

Fairchild on
    edited May 2008
    it's funny, a couple days ago I was qq'ing about how bad my shammy was, and how I died to like every other mob. Now I'm 62, got some nice outland quest rewards and farmed the AH to replace the rest of my pre-BC gear, and now I'm tearing things up. Water shield also helped make all the difference, as Beck noted. Now instead of burning my whole mana bar every pull, I usually wind up with a full mana bar after every pull - and that's the way I like it.

Another thing that made the difference besides slow maces and more AP and water shield was the Power Auras mod... how did I ever live without it on any of my toons?! now I have auras for when to cast my shocks, when to recast my water shield, when my stormstrike cooldown is up, when I pull aggro, etc... <3

DiscoZombie on
    edited May 2008
    Water Shield is HUGE. Rarely have I seen one train-able ability make such a large difference in playing a class.

Fairchild on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Water Shield is HUGE. Rarely have I seen one train-able ability make such a large difference in playing a class.

I'd agree, for enhancement, that it might be the biggest gameplay changing ability there is.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited May 2008
    I got it a couple days ago. There is no more downtime, and almost no need to drink in instances anymore.

Soviet Waffle on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    The mote extractor is, by far, the coolest thing I got from engineering other than the goggles.

Gnomish Death Chickens

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Jason036 wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »

I got a good suggestion for you. You need to figure out which badge equipment gives you the most stat upgrades per badge item. What I mean is, which slots will give you the best stat per number of badges. For example. Take the new badge chest piece. Look at the stats on it and just do a simple calculation based on that item and what you are wearing. The badge chest has 14 mp5 and your chest has 11 mp5. So that's 14 - 11 which gives you +3. The intellect calculation will give you +10. Then take the badge cost (100) and divide it by that +total you just did.. That will give you the how many badges it takes to get +1 stat. The idea is to buy the ones that have the lowest numbers first (probably be around 3.2 for you).

I personally assign stat points this way, since some points are more valuable than others:

For every 2 Stamina you get 1 stat point
    For every 1 Intellect you get 1 stat point
    For every socket you get 6 stat points
    For every 1 crit strike rating you get 1 stat point
    For every 10 healing you get 1 stat point
    For every 2 mp5 you get 3 stat points
    Make sure to add the socket bonus into the equations

Looking at your gear and from the calculations I did, the chest piece is a must for you. So that's 100 badges right there. I would get the belt next. Don't waste the badge gear on other than mail items. There aren't mail healing shoulders, only cloth and leather. Keep the shoulders you have and spend it on a back or neck, or ring or something like that. The legs are probably a must for you. They are a must for me simply because the T4 gear looks retarded with the ZA gear (the badge items at the new vendor look exactly like the ZA gear).

Wish I read that post before I got the mace and the ring. Oh well. :P

Zython on
  • TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay, so I want to make sure I'm understanding this information right as it affects my enhancement shaman that's planning to go 0/45/16 or something similar. Let's assume I'll have full weapon skill (I don't right now). I don't PvP and will have very limited instance-running time, so I won't face anything above level 72.

When I'm dual wielding, Stormstrike (the only "special melee attack" I know of right now) will hit, period. My shocks will have a 1% miss chance against same-leveled opponents, 3% against level 72 mobs. My standard dual-wielding ("white") attacks will have a 15% chance of missing against same-leveled mobs, 16% against level 72 mobs.

If I could get to 253 hit rating (rounding), my white attacks would never miss against level 72 mobs. However, the general consensus is that to reach this number I'd need to give up too much in the way of other stats I need/want (like crit rating).

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yes, the general consensus is that amassing hit rating at the expense of other stats isn't a good idea.

reVerse on
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The bonus hits from windfury count as special attacks as well.

kaleedity on
This discussion has been closed.