As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Shammy chat!

• Options
    JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    TheEmerged wrote: »
    Okay, so I want to make sure I'm understanding this information right as it affects my enhancement shaman that's planning to go 0/45/16 or something similar. Let's assume I'll have full weapon skill (I don't right now). I don't PvP and will have very limited instance-running time, so I won't face anything above level 72.

When I'm dual wielding, Stormstrike (the only "special melee attack" I know of right now) will hit, period. My shocks will have a 1% miss chance against same-leveled opponents, 3% against level 72 mobs. My standard dual-wielding ("white") attacks will have a 15% chance of missing against same-leveled mobs, 16% against level 72 mobs.

If I could get to 253 hit rating (rounding), my white attacks would never miss against level 72 mobs. However, the general consensus is that to reach this number I'd need to give up too much in the way of other stats I need/want (like crit rating).

You say that you will have little instance running but you shouldn't specc yourself to not run them and IMO that is what you have done.

If you want to be better specced raid/instance-wise you need to drop Anticipation and pick up both ranks of both Enhancing Totems and Improved Weapon Totems. The increase in Str helps you and your party and the improved WF totem rocks your party.

Don't worry about +hit gear. As everyone else has said you will lose out on other, better stats. Also, it will matter little in an instance/raid because you should be attacking from behind.

JohnnyToxxic on
    Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Attacking from behind only means the enemy can't parry. They can still Dodge, which is overcome with expertise, and you can still miss, which is overcome with +hit rating.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You say that you will have little instance running but you shouldn't specc yourself to not run them and IMO that is what you have done.

If you want to be better specced raid/instance-wise you need to drop Anticipation and pick up both ranks of both Enhancing Totems and Improved Weapon Totems. The increase in Str helps you and your party and the improved WF totem rocks your party.

Don't worry about +hit gear. As everyone else has said you will lose out on other, better stats. Also, it will matter little in an instance/raid because you should be attacking from behind.

I actually said this character would be doing "very little" instance running. Perhaps saying "almost no" would be more accurate :P None of my characters raid due to a combination of playtime and playstyle issues.

I'm not terribly fond of Anticipation, it's just that I have had both Improved Lightning Shield and Guardian Totems before and felt they were wasted points. So I have 2 talent points that basically don't have a better place to go at that point. The other two points come as the 25th enhancement point, and the final point at 70th level. So I suppose they could go into Improved Weapon Totem...

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Are there any good leveling weapons besides Creepjacker and the exaulted Sporegarr one? (So, 64ish in Outlands)

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Are there any good leveling weapons besides Creepjacker and the exaulted Sporegarr one? (So, 64ish in Outlands)

Take two Fist of Reckoning and call me in the morning.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I was thinking something a bit later, since the 64 greens are about as good as that but much cheaper.

Soviet Waffle on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    http://www.wowhead.com/?items=2&filter=qu=3;ty=0:4:13;minle=85;maxle=114;minrl=1;maxrl=69;cr=36:32;crs=1:1;crv=2.3:43#0-2+1

These are the only blues you can get leveling 58-69 in Outlands that are slow enough, the only one to add to your list unless you happen to be a blacksmith is the Mag'hari Fury Brand. What I ended up doing was putting Crusader on a pair of Fists of Reckoning and riding those until 70 when you can get PvP weapons or either of the axes from Magister's Terrace. With the Crusader enchant they're roughly equal to the Mag'hari Fury Brand (at least according to the calculations I did at the time) so you don't really need to worry about replacing your weapons while leveling.

The other BoE option to Fist of Reckoning is the Axe of the Legion, but you need to be 2 levels higher to use it and its a little fast.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well, I'm 63 (About to hit 64), so I'll probably just grab creepjacker, pick up the Mag'hari Fury Brand and wait until Glad weapons/ H Mr T

Soviet Waffle on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    http://thottbot.com/i25538 for low 60's

http://thottbot.com/i25764 do ring of blood once you hit 66ish

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

:rotate:

Soviet Waffle on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

:rotate:

whatever =P I was trying to be helpful since I just leveled a shammy to 70 myself, sue me for not reading more carefully.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    nourishnourish Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It is too bad that "netherstorm [armor] of blocking" doesn't seem to exist. It is an optional suffix in warcrafter's sandbox mode, where I could use that and non-raid gear to make a gimmick shaman trash tank with the following mitigation:

Armor: 9505 (47.38%)
    Dodge Chance 13.94%
    Parry Chance 6.04%
    Block 347
    Block Chance 56.44%
    Avoidance 82.46%

This isn't meant to be serious at all, just playing around with a sandbox mode and wondering what is up with that +5% to-block talent. The joke is that he'd have 5979 health. D:

Still blocking 1/2 incoming melee and completely blocking attacks up to about 730 damage would be funny. AOE farming with totem + shield spike?

nourish on
  • Options
    KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've done that with my shaman. His current tanking set has him at roughly

Armour: 12000 with talents
    Defense: 491
    Dodge: 25%
    Parry: 12%
    Shield Block: 16%
    Health: 10k

I'm thinking of respecing after raid on Wednesday and try and find people brave enough to run heroic or Kara with me until Sunday.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Is there a secret to tremor totems? Because unless I am standing right on one, I won't get the pulse. Is the range increase talent necessary?

Seems very frustrating in battlegrounds pvp.

nourish on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    nourish wrote: »
    Is there a secret to tremor totems? Because unless I am standing right on one, I won't get the pulse. Is the range increase talent necessary?

Seems very frustrating in battlegrounds pvp.

you have to be in the shammy's group and within 30 yards, and it only pulses every 3 seconds. I might also guess that the fear dispel has a chance to be resisted like most debuff dispels but don't quote me on it.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    KG3000 wrote: »
    I've done that with my shaman. His current tanking set has him at roughly

Armour: 12000 with talents
    Defense: 491
    Dodge: 25%
    Parry: 12%
    Shield Block: 16%
    Health: 10k

I'm thinking of respecing after raid on Wednesday and try and find people brave enough to run heroic or Kara with me until Sunday.

You could tank quite comfortably with that.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    artifexiteartifexite Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The only problem is your parry talent borks your white damage threat.

edit: Although, if I understand it correctly, you'd mainly be concentrating on throwing frostshocks, and... wf, I guess?

artifexite on
  • Options
    KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah threat would mostly be generated from Windfury and Frostshock, plus the opening chainlightning or lightning bolt. My tanking weapon is the mace out of SSC, Mallet of the Tides I think. The guys in guild know it's my pet project to make a tanking shaman so I get a fair amount of tanking gear.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Anyone think that because they're not testing many Shaman revamps in the expansion alpha at the moment they're finally working on the totem system to make it a bit more useful after they've said they'd like to so many times?

815165 on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Or they could be just screwing us over again. But I like your positive approach better :)

Bigity on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bigity wrote: »
    Or they could be just screwing us over again.

This.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Litejedi wrote: »

This.

Sounds reasonable.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    reVerse wrote: »

This.

Sounds reasonable.
    I dunno man, some of that leaked info had some sort of time stopping spell in it. TIME STOPPING SPELL!
    But yeah, your probably right.

Things I'd like to see more of:
    Elemental Totems (with proper pet bars for god sake) - Wind, and Water.
    Better Totem mechanics.
    Some god damn Crowd Control!
    More Instant Melee attacks.
    More Shocks.
    More Shields (and have all shields be castable on anyone, like Earth Shield)
    maybe some new mechanic. One seems to be referenced in the leaked info, can't remember what they were called, but the time stop spell and "mind shock" applied a stacked debuff on a target, it sounded a lot like a combo point system (or I could be totally wrong)

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited May 2008

This.

Sounds reasonable.
    I dunno man, some of that leaked info had some sort of time stopping spell in it. TIME STOPPING SPELL!

This. Fire shield!

If it added some crit rating passively, or maybe it would drain your opponent's mana when hit with a spell, since right now you have one that heals, one that regenerates your mana, one that damages, one should damage your opponent's mana. This is probably overpowered though.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

This.

Sounds reasonable.

This. Fire shield!

If it added some crit rating passively, or maybe it would drain your opponent's mana when hit with a spell, since right now you have one that heals, one that regenerates your mana, one that damages, one should damage your opponent's mana. This is probably overpowered though.

First off, there's already a spell with this name.

Secondly, I don't see a problem with a mana drain shield. Priests, locks, and hunters can drain mana. Also, this could be countered by a dispell mechanic.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Zython wrote: »

This.

Sounds reasonable.

This. Fire shield!

Secondly, I don't see a problem with a mana drain shield. Priests, locks, and hunters can drain mana. Also, this could be countered by a dispell mechanic.

I know fire shield is already a spell, but a fire "element" shield is really what I meant. There's already one for air, water and earth.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008

This.

Sounds reasonable.

This. Fire shield!

I know fire shield is already a spell, but a fire "element" shield is really what I meant. There's already one for air, water and earth.

Yeah, I know. It should be called "Flame shield". That would work.

Zython on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I learned that the Grounding Totem will eat a Goblin Rocket Launcher - but the caster still gets a knockdown stun!

The stupid hunter who tried that twice on me in world pvp did not have the same learning experience, to my benefit.

nourish on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I have this notion that a flame shield would be rather ineffectual in World of WarCraft.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I have this notion that a flame shield would be rather ineffectual in World of WarCraft.

Moreso than a water shield?

Zython on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If shaman get a "Improved Shamanistic Rage" talent that gives a bonus haste or AP rating, I'll be happy as can be.

Also I just got my shaman two drakefist hammers and she's kicking ass left and right.

Henroid on
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have a quick question.

I just started a Shammy alt, its sitting at level 21, and everything is going pretty cool..I am speccing Enhance all the way to 70.

The thing is I am a bit confused as to what weps to use. I was told by one person two-handed axes till Dual Wield, and one handed axe and shield til DW by another.

Which do I use?

Also is this a good or decent build for my upcoming talent tree?

Elemental (16 points)

5/5 Convection
    5/5 Concussion
    1/1 Elemental Focus
    5/5 Reverberation

Enhancement (45 points)

5/5 Ancestral Knowledge
    5/5 Thundering Strikes
    2/2 Improved Ghost Wolf
    2/2 Enhancing Totems
    1/1 Shamanistic Focus
    5/5 Flurry
    2/2 Improved Weapon Totems
    1/1 Spirit Weapons
    3/3 Elemental Weapons
    3/3 Mental Quickness
    5/5 Weapon Mastery
    3/3 Dual Wield Specialization
    1/1 Dual Wield
    1/1 Stormstrike
    5/5 Unleashed Rage
    1/1 Shamanistic Rage

Thanks in advance.

omega71 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The best advice I can give is to read this: http://elitistjerks.com/f47/t20765-shaman_enhancement/

My personal choice for pre-DW weapons is a 2-hander, you should be able to kill fast enough that the extra damage you take won't really matter, and more importantly one-shotting a mob when your 2-hander procs Windfury is worth any cost. For your spec, going into Elemental before 70 isn't really worth it (and debatable even then), but as long as you get the 45 points of enhance first it doesn't really matter. Generally I go for the mana efficiency and +hit from the Resto tree instead. Something like http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=hZxVbdVMsAuqoxbez , though you could easily swap Improved Weapon Totems and Enhancing Totems for point in Anticipation or Toughness if you don't intend to instance much before 70.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I personally went 1hand + shield, but that was back when you had to spec two handed, and I knew I would be asked to heal instances too, so I was a mix of resto/enhance. I suggest now, going two handed, and if you have money for it, just pick up nice blue 2handed maces off the AH every 10 or so lvls and throw some cheap enchant on it, like fiery etc. That worked very well for my paladin who was ret for awhile once BC came out.

When leveling up I don't put too much care into their gear, a decent weapon owns most of the old world. I think my 46 rogue is in lvl 20's greens still, but has blood razor and something else, spec'd hemo, and still destroys everything.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Elemental is fun at 59-60, wearing enchanted full "of the invoker" and killing 3 people at once with chain lightening crits / overlod procs.

Gets repetitive though, and without pushback protection any attention from the other side can shut you down.

Questing kind of sucks as well - either you crit and kill things before they reach you, or some mob chews on you while you stab it between shocks.

Edit: Also if you are alliance and your battleground regularly has 20 alliance v 40 horde games, that can make AV less appealing

nourish on
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Speaking as someone that tried the one-hand + shield thing for a while? Nod your head politely, put both hands on your wallet, & walk away slowly from the person suggesting this. :D The shield is an artifact of the days when two-handed weapon was a talent. I fully expect the shield talent to disappear if shaman are given a real review for the expansion.

Hoping to get an ST group this weekend for my class quest. I *could* get my friend to run me through, but he wants ST for his warrior alt too so we're going to see what happens.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For what it's worth, Elemental gets even better at 70. Not just because gear scaling means killing things more often before they touch you, but snuggling yourself into 4 pieces of elemental arena gear will give you 50% pushback protection on lightning bolt, which makes the times when things are eating your face a lot more bearable.

I'm resto, and I use an ele set to farm, and between that and earth shield, it's actually not so bad going out and farming. It's pretty ridiculous that every other casting class gets 70% pushback built into a two point talent, and we don't get any (because having to get crit to get pushback protection is BS). It'd make a nice utility talent for wotlk trees.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It's pretty ridiculous that every other casting class gets 70% pushback built into a two point talent

Except Druids, who get two different pushback resistance talents, one two pointer that affects two spells, and one three pointer that affects one spell.

reVerse on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    You could always spec into Earth Shield, but then you wouldn't be elemental, so there goes that.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    Shaman talents are up on the Wrath alpha!

The talent calculators are, however, down :(

Lots of changes:

Enhancement gets weapon specs, a beast within mechanic for Shamanistic Rage, Spirit Wolves summon and and intellect -> AP talent. Imp. Totems and Imp. Shields moved to the first tier.

Elemental gets a Thunderbolt that knocks away nearby targets 20 yards in addition to restoring mana. Flametongue Weapon will apparently increase spell damage.

Restoration gets Spirit Link, which divvies up damage among three targets, a new ability which is like cleanse only it works on Poison/Disease/Curse, and a new weapon imbue which buffs healing. Imp. Earth Shield increase healing AND charges.

I'll link a calculator when they come back up.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.