Options

[WoW] Shammy chat!

• Options
    KartanKartan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    noobert wrote: »
    Any tips for someone who has just rolled a shammie?
    Leveling specs/tips/links etc?

level elemental until 40, build an enhancement equip from 30 onwards, respecc to Enhance when you hit 40. Enhancement leveling before 40 is boring, before 30 its downright painfull.

Kartan on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wouldn't recommend levelling as Elemental untill you get some good spell damage gear, the lack of knockback resistence is infuriating.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend levelling as Elemental untill you get some good spell damage gear, the lack of knockback resistence is infuriating.

once you are past a certain point, shit dies before it reaches you.

Kartan on
  • Options
    nourishnourish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I leveled enhance, while collecting and enchanting a full sit of "invoker" gear to run around as an elemental twink in AV. When I went to level in the outlands, I found it was very random if things died due to crits/ lightning overlord procs, and usually I was stuck stabbing a boar which still had half-health, in between shocks. There is also lots of stopping to drink.

Once you get water shield enhancement is one of those constant uptime classes, it has been great so far. I grabbed the mushroom trinket from that sporregar quest in underbog and stopped needing to drink.

I do recommend at least trying elemental at 59 and hitting AV. With green gear I bought on the AH and a few enchants, you can occasionally get these insane damage bursts when chain lightning crits and overlord procs for a second chain lightning. Instantly killing 3-4 guys is pretty amazing.

nourish on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kartan wrote: »

once you are past a certain point, shit dies before it reaches you.

that point is before level 40?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    nourish wrote: »
    Paradox Control, how do you think elemental PvP will deal with pushback in wotlk, once people drop their arena gear with pushback protection?

I looked at the alpha tree again - do you think Thunder's knockback will be used to get distance from melee classes? Or do you think pushback will be less of an issue?
    the way I Imagen it, Thunder would definitely be used to get distance. Warrior charges in, you use Thunder, then Frost shock him, drop earth bind, run away, and then blast him. I can't speak for push back, because I've never truly played a caster class. But as it stands, I can imagen Elemental being much more successful in arenas then Enhance.

FYI, the tooltip on Thunder says it knocks people back 200 yards... That's a bit outside the shock range I think :)

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    nourish wrote: »
    Paradox Control, how do you think elemental PvP will deal with pushback in wotlk, once people drop their arena gear with pushback protection?

I looked at the alpha tree again - do you think Thunder's knockback will be used to get distance from melee classes? Or do you think pushback will be less of an issue?
    the way I Imagen it, Thunder would definitely be used to get distance. Warrior charges in, you use Thunder, then Frost shock him, drop earth bind, run away, and then blast him. I can't speak for push back, because I've never truly played a caster class. But as it stands, I can imagen Elemental being much more successful in arenas then Enhance.

FYI, the tooltip on Thunder says it knocks people back 200 yards... That's a bit outside the shock range I think :)
    200 yards is a known typo. Its actually 20 yards, which is right in the shock range. If you look at IMP Storm Strike it says it reduces its cool down by 1000 seconds, as well ;). Its only 1 second per point.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If it was 200 yards, I'd level a Shaman specifically to gank in Outlands. As dickheaded as ganking is, I probably wouldn't be able to stop myself from blasting people off cliffs.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    If it was 200 yards, I'd level a Shaman specifically to gank in Outlands. As dickheaded as ganking is, I probably wouldn't be able to stop myself from blasting people off cliffs.
    Knockback abilities are definitely going to change the way some BGs are played. I'm thinking specifically of EOTS. A small subset of shamans could easily control the middle bridge just by knocking everyone off it periodically.

Finally we all get to enjoy the thrill of throwing someone off the lumber mill in AB.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Entriech wrote: »
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Knockback abilities are definitely going to change the way some BGs are played. I'm thinking specifically of EOTS. A small subset of shamans could easily control the middle bridge just by knocking everyone off it periodically.

Finally we all get to enjoy the thrill of throwing someone off the lumber mill in AB.
    A lot of these ability's are really making me want to try out Elemental. Knock Back would really change the way PVP works in WoW.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just rolled a shammy myself, its actually alot of fun so far. I like being able to zap them a few times and then drop a stoneskin totem and finish them off with melee. Not sure which spec Im going to use later on... probably depends on what the guild needs.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Elemental feels so slow to level with. I'm using 2 shamans at once (both elemental) and at level 10-20 they were killing slower and had to drink more than my sole equal level mage. Its starting to pick up a bit now, I'm level 22 and I can kill level 20 mobs in 2 casts (ie 4 lightning bolts) and mana efficency is a bit better.

Doing an instance as healer + dps is really fun though. Did WC at 17 and was bottom of dps. Did SFK at 20 and (with a new rank of LBolt) managed to be 2nd and 4th (tank was first and I think my dps meter counts both searing totems as coming from the same guy).

Scroffus on
  • Options
    planetes42planetes42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ok, sorry to come in so late, but don't feel like reading 105 pages looking for my answer, so gonna post here:

I have a 61 horde shaman on Jaedenar (PVP) that I haven't played since something like a week after TBC came out. I took him to 60 as resto, but hit 60 the night before TBC came out and just couldn't summon the willpower to grind another 10 lvls after the straight grind from 1-60 as resto. So, he's in mostly caster gear (probably +healing more than anything). I have a 70 lock & feral/resto druid on another server, so I'm familiar with the game.

But, thought I'd post here ---

Anyone play Horde on Jaedenar? I logged in once a couple months ago and all my friends list evaporated.
    I'm assuming I should go caster dps -- any tips? How is melee for the 60-70 grind?
    Any other suggestions I should know about? The only thing I really know about TBC shammies is I get excited when they're in my group on my Warlock and get frustrated when they pop heroism 10 sec into a boss fight (threat capped much?)

planetes42 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    why would you level as resto? I mean, thats just...painfull.

Kartan on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    i wanted to be useful and be able to heal and stuff. this was a LOOONNNGGGG time ago. My first 60 and all -- didn't really understand the game.

planetes42 on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Never tried elemental, but I went Enhancement/DW on my Shaman and it was embarassingly easy leveling to 70. You probably don't have the gear for it, but the good news is that if you are just starting HFP at level 60 there are plenty of quests to provide it to you. The DW combo you should shoot for is Mining Pick (quest) + Fist of Reckoning (drop), if you can find it on the AH.

As far as armor/trinkets go, look for AP and +Crit, which may lead you to load up on the Hunter gear. The one drawback is that your mana pool will be pretty low, and if you Shock a lot during combat you will find yourself frequently drinking. However, you gain Water Shield at Level 62 which will resolve all of your mana pool problems, so help is on the way.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ok, played a bit last night (went elemental -- started getting the hang of it again by the end of the night).

How does one play an enhance shammy? It seems odd to be to be that melee specced when you're such a mana dependant class (displaying an obvious ignorance of shamans here, I know).

I mean, as elemental, most battles went: CL/LB; LB; Frost Shock; LB; loot
    As enhance....I would assume you still use LB to pull, but then you just go melee after that & toss shocks as you feel necessary?

planetes42 on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I basically just run into melee and swing away. Stormstrike whenever it's up, and use maxrank shocks if needed (preferably with focus up) for a little DPS boost. I also keep rank 1 earth and frost shock on the bar for low-mana interrupting and snaring. Shamanistic rage on cooldown and at a time when I'll use it's full duration.

My shaman's only level 57, and enhancement grinding is more or less an exercise in managing my mana bar. Autoswing/stormstrike a dude down, heal and shock if needed, keep mana up with shamanistic rage.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    planetes42 wrote: »
    ok, played a bit last night (went elemental -- started getting the hang of it again by the end of the night).

How does one play an enhance shammy? It seems odd to be to be that melee specced when you're such a mana dependant class (displaying an obvious ignorance of shamans here, I know).

I mean, as elemental, most battles went: CL/LB; LB; Frost Shock; LB; loot
    As enhance....I would assume you still use LB to pull, but then you just go melee after that & toss shocks as you feel necessary?

I've leveled the cliche (draenei shaman jewelcrafter) to 60 as enhancement. I'm still debating whether or not to stay that way or try resto or elemental in Outland. Playing as enhancement, I feel the biggest trick is getting used to the balance of "killing the mob right now" versus "not having to drink between every pull".

Generally I pull with Flame Shock, turning auto-attack on (I read on EJ that you generally are better off to alternate Flame/Earth on longer fights, and opening this way has worked out rather well for me). Once the mob is in range I Stormstrike, and melee away. I wait for Focus to proc before I throw Earth Shock. I don't usually have any totems down unless I have a reason to. After the initial pull, I don't usually shock during the fight unless Focus is active (or the occassional Frost Shock on a runner). So in practice I pull and autoattack, playing "shock-a-mole" when focus procs.

Any time I know I'm going to have to drink, I put lightning shield up -- otherwise I don't bother with it. I suspect this is going to change when I get water shield. Totems are still very situational for me; I keep Searing & Magma on my hotbar and sometimes switch in others based on the fight (during my time in Silithus, for example, Poison totem replaced Magma).

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also once you get Water Shield at 62, then leveling enhancement becomes a joy, for you should never run out of mana.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    alphaforumleak1xx2.gif
    This post isn't about shamans per say, but it does talk about a huge buff that could be coming our way!
    Finaly, raid wide use of our totems!

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ride wide totems actually weakens Shamans from a min/max perspective, now you'd only need an two per raid. :(

815165 on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ride wide totems actually weakens Shamans from a min/max perspective, now you'd only need an two per raid. :(

Pretty much, there has to be a middle ground between the current shaman stacking and reducing class need to 2 (although to be fair with 10 classes in the expansion, you would only have 2.5 of each class on average anyway).

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sorry, they're not only making totems raid wide, they're joining some totems like Str of Earth/Grace of Air.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Sorry, they're not only making totems raid wide, they're joining some totems like Str of Earth/Grace of Air.
    That makes a tonne of sense, I hope this extends to the cleansing totems too because having two seperate ones always bugged me.

815165 on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also making windfury a buff instead of a totem so classes that don't have weapons can use it too. Yeah druids!

shadowane on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wonder if it will be undispellable. I would certainly hope so.

EDIT: Nevermind. I haven't had any coffee, yet.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    nothingman20nothingman20 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    shadowane wrote: »
    Also making windfury a buff instead of a totem so classes that don't have weapons can use it too. Yeah druids!

The Strength of Earth/Grace of Air combination ensures you'll get your GoA, too.

Druids have you hugged your Shaman today? They're about to be your new best friend.

nothingman20 on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had read that totems are indeed raidwide...

There will still be massive shaman stacking though, because Heroism/Bloodlust won't be raidwide.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    nothingman20nothingman20 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had read that totems are indeed raidwide...

There will still be massive shaman stacking though, because Heroism/Bloodlust won't be raidwide.

Well there are 10 classes come the expansion, and 25 raid slots. Ideally if they balance everything correctly you're looking at 2-3 of every class.

I'm hoping raid stacking is even less necessary in the future...better to find one balanced, capable group and run with it IMO.

nothingman20 on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wait, wasn't flametounge supposed to put on a sort of MS effect? Did they change that or am I bat shit insane?

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Typhus733 wrote: »
    Wait, wasn't flametounge supposed to put on a sort of MS effect? Did they change that or am I bat shit insane?

They tested it out on ptr for a little bit, and then backed off before it even got a chance to get live.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Are those mutually exclusive? :P It was changed, one of those things they tried out on the PTR and decided they didn't like.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So I've been playing my (now 33) enhancement Shaman, and he feels so weak, even with my 70 providing weapons for him. Waiting around for WF procs kinda sucks and when they don't come it's very tiresome.
    Will the goodies in the early 40's radically improve things? Currently it just feels like I'm waiting around for the RNG to be friendly.

815165 on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TheEmerged wrote: »

Are those mutually exclusive? :P It was changed, one of those things they tried out on the PTR and decided they didn't like.

Thank god. I probably would've given up pvp on my priest had they gone through with that, and focused on my hunter... or leveled my shaman :P

Arrath on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dual Wield makes a Enhance Shaman really nasty with Flurry (and later Unleahsed Rage) constantly up making you damn deadly. So stick with it if you're at all interested in Shaman.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It's super ridiculous that Hunters can dual wield 20 levels before Shamans, waiting to level 40 to start playing your class is pretty stupid. I'm kinda surprised duel wield didn't get moved to somewhere earlier in the tree when they removed the even more retarded talenting for 2h's.

815165 on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, here's my Shaman.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&n=Soledad
    Should I get the Badge Boots or Badge pants first? I can afford the boots right now, but if I buy the pants I'd be willing to get the healing thread for them. (This is of course, assuming I don't get the healing pants from Kael this weekend)

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's super ridiculous that Hunters can dual wield 20 levels before Shamans, waiting to level 40 to start playing your class is pretty stupid. I'm kinda surprised duel wield didn't get moved to somewhere earlier in the tree when they removed the even more retarded talenting for 2h's.

I don't think it's that big of a deal at all. You can get by just fine with two handed weapons up to that point, and maybe even beyond it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I dunno, I'm just going crazy waiting on 3 second auto attacks for a proc (which will then insult you by double WFing a mob with 5% HP).

815165 on
This discussion has been closed.