As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] - Melee DPS: Schrödinger's Slayers and Choppas

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    because it's all about the sweet hats huh?

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    why the hell do witch elves get their healing debuff at 9 and witch hunters get theirs at 35?

Because witch hunters get their AP theft at level 9 and WElfs don't get theirs until 35.

Oats on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oats wrote: »
    why the hell do witch elves get their healing debuff at 9 and witch hunters get theirs at 35?

Because witch hunters get their AP theft at level 9 and WElfs don't get theirs until 35.

I'd trade the anti-heal thing for a measly 10 AP drain in a nanosecond.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yes, but for WElfs it'd be able a 10AP drain per second or half second.

Oats on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'll burn you wytch.

Why must you taunt me. D:

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I don't taunt you.

That's a tank's job.

I just stab things.

'cause guns are for wimps you see.

[tiny]Secretly though, I wish I looked as cool as witch hunters.[/tiny]

Oats on
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Witch Hunters get mutton chops and a sweet hat. Mutton Chops!. I get big hair and a swim suit.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It might be me, but my BO seems to be 'forgetting' his stage of the plan a lot more lately.

Like I'll throw in one Wot Armor, wait, go for Big Swing, but oh wait! You need Da Gud Plan! So I Wot Armor AGAIN, Big Swing, go for Skull Thump, but oh wait! You need Da Best Plan!

<Me> ... So tempted to just play my zealot, but it's oh so boring.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Give them time, a Good WH will probably never outdamage/outkillblow a good BW, but they're still a force to be reckoned with. Ask the candymancers I tend to do scenarios with how often I've managed to sneak through the raging battle lines and shank the destro playing carrying the ball in Tor Anroc (Always wait for the massive bauble health drop before attacking)

I can't figure out if I'm just doing it wrong or what, but even now at 11 I can't kill healers on my own unless they are just retarded or half my level. Is this just a tier 1 thing and it gets easier higher up? Coming from playing a Rune Priest to 18 I know most healers have some pretty incredible survivability at that range, but i'd still get mauled by Witch Elves and Marauders. Am I just doing it wrong, or is trying to blow up the healer only work when you work up 5 accusations randomly and have your Rank 1 Morale up? Otherwise, you'll get raped or bored of attacking a health bar that never moves.

Witch Elves are pretty funny though with Burn Armor.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    WH take more time to ramp up than WE sadly.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    SWATJesterSWATJester Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Give them time, a Good WH will probably never outdamage/outkillblow a good BW, but they're still a force to be reckoned with. Ask the candymancers I tend to do scenarios with how often I've managed to sneak through the raging battle lines and shank the destro playing carrying the ball in Tor Anroc (Always wait for the massive bauble health drop before attacking)

I can't figure out if I'm just doing it wrong or what, but even now at 11 I can't kill healers on my own unless they are just retarded or half my level. Is this just a tier 1 thing and it gets easier higher up? Coming from playing a Rune Priest to 18 I know most healers have some pretty incredible survivability at that range, but i'd still get mauled by Witch Elves and Marauders. Am I just doing it wrong, or is trying to blow up the healer only work when you work up 5 accusations randomly and have your Rank 1 Morale up? Otherwise, you'll get raped or bored of attacking a health bar that never moves.

Witch Elves are pretty funny though with Burn Armor.

I haven't had problems with it up to rank 10. (I haven't done scenarios as rank 10 yet, but I can't imagine that makes it any harder). get up to them and ferver twice, which negates their HOTs. Razor strike/Torment (depending on positioning) once, Burn Heretic, and if my morale is up, Sever Nerve. Razor Strike/Torment X2, Absolution. Renew Ferver if necessary. They should be dead.

Most of it tends to be because healers have a hard time reacting to the fact that I'm there attacking them. By the time they can do anything about it, I've layed all my DOTs on them, which negates their HOTs and when combined with our fast autoattacks, negates their spam heal. Thus, whack em a couple of times with our direct damage attacks, pop a morale if you have one, and absolution spam+bullets.

(prepare yourself, fuzzy math inbound).
    Consider, the combination of fevor, Burn, and auto attack is doing what, 150-200 DPS? If they're not self healing, that's all going towards them. If they are self healing, that's simply negating the effects. Plus, you lay them once, and you can move on to your direct damage attacks. 75 -100 damage from your razor/torment, twice, 200+ from sever nerve, and hit absolution at 2 or 3 accusations, is what, 150 + 50 for the bullets? And all that can be done in just a few seconds.

Anyway, no I haven't had significant trouble vs. healers. Only people that tend to give me trouble 1v1 at this stage in the game are tanks and witch elves (if they're on their game, they kill me first. I haven't figured out a good rotation for them, but probably I should do less DoT and more DD.)

SWATJester on
    Moderator, PAX Prime 08, 09, 10, 10-East, panels on "Legal Issues in Gaming"
    Contributing Editor, http://www.gamepolitics.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I find my WH is better at taking out harder targets than my WElf.

Oats on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oats wrote: »

I find my WH is better at taking out harder targets than my WElf.

What spec is your WH? My WE has no trouble taking down tanks, but that's because I went Carnage instead of Suffering.

Jebu on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man

I'm pretty much in love with my WL now. My WH made healers cry, but now I have the added survivability to be able to go head to head with pretty much any class and not die.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dac wrote: »
    It might be me, but my BO seems to be 'forgetting' his stage of the plan a lot more lately.

Like I'll throw in one Wot Armor, wait, go for Big Swing, but oh wait! You need Da Gud Plan! So I Wot Armor AGAIN, Big Swing, go for Skull Thump, but oh wait! You need Da Best Plan!

<Me> ... So tempted to just play my zealot, but it's oh so boring.

yes, this happens all the time and it's retarded.

Angry on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm getting hit by an annoying bug today, seems my WE's attacks would just randomly hit for 1 damage. It dosn't happen often enough to be a big hit on my DPS, but it is noticeable. Happens on NPCs, but I haven't looked at my combat log during Scenarios to see if it happens against PCs, I'd assume it does.

I /bug'd it in game. Any one else getting it?

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    With a White Lion, how well would Guardian work in RvR? For the most part, players will focus on me far more than my lion. Very rarely does the lion die before I do; so, wouldn't a build where I'm harder to kill and the lion is dishing out the damage (and isn't blocked by players, so I can send him to a squishy behind the tank blocking me) do rather well? Except in the unlikely scenario that the entire opposite team somehow guesses my build.

Glal on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am using hunter, because Pounce is good times

Also, the lion is incredibly buggy and dies very very easily and also does not scale well, so I would never go for a build that relies in any way on my lion.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Any posts/articles discussing builds, the mastery abilities and their value? I'm the type of person who always spent two days reading build threads before just copying the one that sounds like it appeals the most in WoW.

Glal on
  • Options
    EvolutionandGSXREvolutionandGSXR Registered User new member
    edited October 2008
    They changed my chosen toons name to Ethedus, from Qatqatindabut...

I love my witch elf very much and want a helmet so if you are on the wasteland or monolith server sell me one then i will be more gankasaurus, which you should name your marauder...

EvolutionandGSXR on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm axeman, I'm really considering using the Loner tactic until they moderately fix the lion.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm getting hit by an annoying bug today, seems my WE's attacks would just randomly hit for 1 damage. It dosn't happen often enough to be a big hit on my DPS, but it is noticeable. Happens on NPCs, but I haven't looked at my combat log during Scenarios to see if it happens against PCs, I'd assume it does.

I'm not certain that's a bug. In terms of mobs, I've only noticed it on one, the manticore boss in Sacellum, and I assumed it was some detaunt effect of the mob. In terms of other players in RvR, I'm pretty sure it's a combination of Guard and detaunt. Guard negates 50% of damage, detaunt negates the other 50%, and they stack linearly so that's 100% damage mitigation total. However, there appears to be a minimum of 1 damage for all attacks after modifiers, so any target you've detaunted that attacks you while you have Guard on you will only be able to deal 1 damage. I've been able to pull this off myself a couple of times.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How big does the war lion get? Does it eventually become taller than the player?

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'm not certain that's a bug. In terms of mobs, I've only noticed it on one, the manticore boss in Sacellum, and I assumed it was some detaunt effect of the mob. In terms of other players in RvR, I'm pretty sure it's a combination of Guard and detaunt. Guard negates 50% of damage, detaunt negates the other 50%, and they stack linearly so that's 100% damage mitigation total. However, there appears to be a minimum of 1 damage for all attacks after modifiers, so any target you've detaunted that attacks you while you have Guard on you will only be able to deal 1 damage. I've been able to pull this off myself a couple of times.

I first noticed it happening against High Elf NPCs in Tier 3, so it might be something that rank20+ mobs can do. It's still annoying to see "1" pop up every so often regardless.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How big does the war lion get? Does it eventually become taller than the player?

No, but it becomes pretty big.

And also armored.

It also has a fancy beard, with jewelry in it <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    SWATJesterSWATJester Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That's not how detaunt works. Detaunt reduces damage taken by 50%. It does not negate 50% of damage. Those are two different things.

For instance, a mob does 100 damage to you. Guard negates 50%, so it's doing 50 damage to you. Detaunt reduces that by 50%, meaning it does 25 damage to you.

I haven't figured out if guard works that way, but Detaunt is definitely a reduction of whatever damage number is being presented to you, not a straight negation of 50% of the total maximum possible damage. That would just be silly; and regardless it wouldn't give you a "1 damage result", it would give you a "0 damage" result.

SWATJester on
    Moderator, PAX Prime 08, 09, 10, 10-East, panels on "Legal Issues in Gaming"
    Contributing Editor, http://www.gamepolitics.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    SWATJester wrote: »

That's not how detaunt works. Detaunt reduces damage taken by 50%. It does not negate 50% of damage. Those are two different things.

For instance, a mob does 100 damage to you. Guard negates 50%, so it's doing 50 damage to you. Detaunt reduces that by 50%, meaning it does 25 damage to you.

I haven't figured out if guard works that way, but Detaunt is definitely a reduction of whatever damage number is being presented to you, not a straight negation of 50% of the total maximum possible damage. That would just be silly; and regardless it wouldn't give you a "1 damage result", it would give you a "0 damage" result.

It's silly, but that is how it works. It's additive not multiplicative currently.

Oh, and I got my first piece of crit gear on my WElf. I think it may be bugged since before my movement barb wouldn't crit but it seems to now.

Oats on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

What are you basing this on? I'm basing my statements on my observations from actual gameplay, not theoryhammer math. In several instances, I was on the bridge in Nordenwatch, my Blorc friend has Guard on me, I AoE detaunt, all of a sudden I start seeing a lot of red 1s in scrolling combat text. From that, I infer that Guard reduces damage by 50%, and the detaunt's 50% reduction is added on top of Guard's for 100% total damage reduction, but there's a minimum of 1 damage. Silly or not, it's the explanation that fits what I actually saw. So I must be wrong because additive rather than multiplicative scaling of damage reduction effects is, in your estimation, "silly"? Yeah, I stand by my original statement.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone have a marauder that could check something for me? On my marauder the +stats from my mutations differs from what the tooltip says they should be.

Savagery says wepskill/init but instead is doing wepskill/str.
    Brutality says str/init but is doing str/toughness.
    Monstrosity says toughness but is doing toughness/wounds.

I've already reported it for me, but I want to know whether I'm bugged and getting the wrong stats or if the tooltip is just wrong.

Last Son on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does anyone know at what point(s) the war lions start to change their appearance?

Also, has anyone seen a good list of what set pieces drop where? I'm still at a loss trying to find the boots that match my chestpiece.

ringswraith on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    11,21,31+

11 your lion gets bigger, 21 your lion gets even bigger, and 31+ your lion is fully grown and has armor.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thanks! Rank 10 at the moment, gives me something to look forward to.

ringswraith on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    There's also a spot in between 1 and 11, where their mane goes from flat texture to actually being scruffy.

Glal on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Still wish I could choose the pelt of my lion.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Do squigs get varying appearances too? Bigger and toothier perhaps? I know we get different sorts, but since we effectively have to use to same one it would be fun if he got meaner looking

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

What are you basing this on? I'm basing my statements on my observations from actual gameplay, not theoryhammer math. In several instances, I was on the bridge in Nordenwatch, my Blorc friend has Guard on me, I AoE detaunt, all of a sudden I start seeing a lot of red 1s in scrolling combat text. From that, I infer that Guard reduces damage by 50%, and the detaunt's 50% reduction is added on top of Guard's for 100% total damage reduction, but there's a minimum of 1 damage. Silly or not, it's the explanation that fits what I actually saw. So I must be wrong because additive rather than multiplicative scaling of damage reduction effects is, in your estimation, "silly"? Yeah, I stand by my original statement.

The additive method of computing buffs/debuffs seems to be correct in my experience. The healing reduction skills seem to work in the same way - 50% reduction + 50% reduction = no heals, though the really odd thing about that is there are actually two separate healing debuffs. One of them reduces heals received (a la Mortal Strike), and the other reduces healing *done* by the person with the debuff. Pop both of those on a healer and suddenly their self-heals are down 75%.

My Witch Hunter is getting high enough now that I can feel our healing debuff around the corner at 35. It'll be nice when I can consistently drop healers that aren't morons. Plus, bigger hats.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Does anyone know at what point(s) the war lions start to change their appearance?

Also, has anyone seen a good list of what set pieces drop where? I'm still at a loss trying to find the boots that match my chestpiece.

There are small changes every few ranks. A new braid here, some spots there, stuff like that.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Not quite, they are randomized.

So the important changes come every 10 levels on and after level 11.

Except for that mane change thing between 1-10

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So, it's different every time you summon your lion?

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yep. No two lions alike!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg